Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
and yet, in a side-by-side comparison the PC version will beat the shit out of console, and play at double the frames. It'll get mods. It will still be in my library 10 years from now and work without having to worry if the next lockbox is BC. PC version has access to the command/dev console. Can hook ReShade, can disable the super shit TAA, the Vignette, etc...

And yes, FF7R was patched on PC by both Square and Nvidia. As of driver 511.65, it handles VRAM swap better alleviating data stream stutters. Frame pacing issues are nearly eliminated wholesale by using VRR or G-sync. (Per PCGamingWiki.)

Sounds like a fair trade to me.
I mean "beating the shit out of the console version" is immensely subjective. I'd argue the game stuttering all over the place is more of a dealbreaker than 1620p was on the ps5 version. 120fps doesn't mean much to me if it's hitching every 10 steps and actively getting in the way of enjoying the game. It's good that some of this was patched (I disagree with using mods or unofficial patches as being an acceptable fix, even DF thinks it's unacceptable to expect the consumer to do all that to simply play a game at decent settings) but the fact people had to wait over 2 years to play the game and then got a port like that...at nearly full price too...was ridiculous.

• Toucan
Reactions: QFNS

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
You know, you do you Derrick.

(I especially like that you can't even make out the Kanji on the signboard for Console Version lol.)

Some people like Vaseline in their eyes just like some people convince themselves that 30FPS is ok, or that paying for the privilege of online play and cloud saves is somehow acceptable. :whistle:

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean "beating the shit out of the console version" is immensely subjective.
On a technical level? No. It's objective.
I'd argue the game stuttering all over the place
It doesn't though, at least when I was playing it.
the fact people had to wait over 2 years to play the game and then got a port like that...at nearly full price too...was ridiculous
True, that's on S-E. None of that makes it not objectively superior though.
(Also, personally I "waited" even longer and got the patched version at a much cheaper price; I'll probably do the same thing for the sequel)

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
You know, you do you Derrick.

(I especially like that you can't even make out the Kanji on the signboard for Console Version lol.)

Some people like Vaseline in their eyes just like some people convince themselves that 30FPS is ok, or that paying for the privilege of online play and cloud saves is somehow acceptable. :whistle:
First of all it was 60 on ps5, which is what the PC port was based off of (almost identically as it has next to no graphical options). Second, yeah I'll take a slightly blurrier image for a very stable framerate with no hitches, of which the console version was nearly flawless at. There was no reviewer going around saying it was the worst port they had seen in years for that version.

This is coming off as a pissing contest though and my original point was just that waiting for the PC version of a UE4 game is an extremely dicey decision these days.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
When the PC versions still manage to be the definitive ones, is it really a "dicey decision" though?? :thinking-face: Literally the only downside is waiting. Which I'd just point to my first post, the benefits outweigh the penalty of waiting.

Reactions: QFNS

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
When the PC versions still manage to be the definitive ones, is it really a "dicey decision" though?? :thinking-face: Literally the only downside is waiting. Which I'd just point to my first post, the benefits outweigh the penalty of waiting.
Calling a version that plays worse definitive is the issue in question though, but I get into these arguments with PC gamers too often. Just today on discord I had to explain that no, the PC version of suicide squad (the pic I posted with the insane frametime graph) is not superior. That level of stuttering renders a game nearly unplayable and no amount of 4k/8k or RT features changes that.

• Shrug
Reactions: Lashley

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
You are downplaying the blurriness ("slightly" lol). Overplaying the stuttering. And ignore everyone who in this very thread said their PC playthroughs of FF7R were great on PC.

Of course you get into arguments. I could show you a triangle and you'd tell me it's a Square as long as it fit your narrative.

Reactions: Lashley and QFNS

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
I'm not sure if they patched the game but this is what it was like at launch. The DF vid was done by Oliver but even in his vid you can see a ton of stuttering at random points.

As an aside I'm kinda chuckling how many times I've seen Alex say that about a game in the last few years.
I mean, the EGS launch doesn't really count, it's like unofficial early access.

Helldivers 2 is doing great on the global sales ranking. Wonder if it will fire up Sonys asses regarding the PC strategy.
It might be an experiment for them. If it does well on both PC and PS they will start thinking about reducing the release gap or even doing day and date for some games.

• Toucan
Reactions: Derrick01

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
You are downplaying the blurriness ("slightly" lol). Overplaying the stuttering. And ignore everyone who in this very thread said their PC playthroughs of FF7R were great on PC.

Of course you get into arguments. I could show you a triangle and you'd tell me it's a Square as long as it fit your narrative.
I get into arguments because PC people tend to get insanely defensive when a port is criticized. The argument I mentioned today was literally because someone saw that SS pic and said "console just as bad", and when I provided proof that it doesn't have anywhere near the same level of stutter (I mean all you have to do is watch the video it even has freakin timestamps to help zero in on this stuff) they just ignore reality and keep saying that. It happened with jedi survivor last year too even though you literally had DF saying the console version was better. It's just really weird behavior that's extremely similar to the things console warriors do and when I see that I'm going to call it out every time.

Reactions: xinek

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018

Don't you know a triangle is the most efficient Square?

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021

I don't know, I played FF7Remake as soon as it came out on Steam and it played like a dream, 1440p and 60fps locked on my old GTX 1080, I think the only disappointing thing about the PC release was the lack of graphics options, but the game ran super easy relatively speaking.

The MGS Master collection and TLOU Part I THOSE were crimes against PC gaming that I played on day one and were meme ports.
About that Kingdom Hearts on Steam...

It's been almost 3 years since they came out on Epic, they're weren't going to come out on Steam regardless lmao.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Helldivers 2 is the third global bestseller right now, below only PUBG and CS2. Customers are sending Sony a pretty clear message.
I don't think they are, at least for now. Just about every medium to large scale game that releases makes the top of the revenue chart on steam since the bulk of the launch buyers are all getting it at once. How long it stays there and how high the CCU goes will give a better picture of things. I mean 100k people all buying your game within the span of a week would probably be enough to put you near the top of the charts on a quiet week, but it doesn't necessarily make your game a success.

Reactions: Alexandros

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Italy
Sega really did it with both Persona and LoD. Impressive growth
While Square will be Square

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Sega really did it with both Persona and LoD. Impressive growth
While Square will be Square
You will hear soon how these sales don't count/matter because Square will sell 10 million copies of FoamstarsRebirth in first two seconds alone.

Reactions: PC-tan and QFNS

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
It's just really weird behavior that's extremely similar to the things console warriors do and when I see that I'm going to call it out every time.
I don't think they are, at least for now. Just about every medium to large scale game that releases makes the top of the revenue chart on steam since the bulk of the launch buyers are all getting it at once. How long it stays there and how high the CCU goes will give a better picture of things. I mean 100k people all buying your game within the span of a week would probably be enough to put you near the top of the charts on a quiet week, but it doesn't necessarily make your game a success.
"Day one PS + PC releases are still a horrible idea!", I scream, as Helldivers 2 literally outsells every other product on the store

I appreciate my PS5 and all, but come on now :cold-sweat:

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
"Day one PS + PC releases are still a horrible idea!", I scream, as Helldivers 2 literally outsells every other product on the store

I appreciate my PS5 and all, but come on now :cold-sweat:
I didn't say it was a bad idea though? I'm just saying declaring it a success because it reached the top of the revenue chart doesn't tell us anything because nearly every new release does this. I mean people were saying the same thing about suicide squad a week ago and look how that went lol. It's just how revenue charts work: Because most day 1 buyers buy around the release of the game it's going to make them surge up the ranks.

I've been trying to teach people this for like a decade now but people keep doing it with nearly every new game lol.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
I didn't say it was a bad idea though? I'm just saying declaring it a success because it reached the top of the revenue chart doesn't tell us anything because nearly every new release does this. I mean people were saying the same thing about suicide squad a week ago and look how that went lol. It's just how revenue charts work: Because most day 1 buyers buy around the release of the game it's going to make them surge up the ranks.

I've been trying to teach people this for like a decade now but people keep doing it with nearly every new game lol.
Yes, and that's fine. Not every game that surges up the charts is a bona fide long term smash. But it's clearly doing quite well for Sony regardless, as not every new prestige game hits no. 1 in the US and no. 4 WW either - Uncharted didn't exactly do gangbusters, yes?

Helldivers 2's success very promising start just illustrates what many on Meta have been saying for a while - day and date releases have much larger profit potential than delayed ports. As a Steam-focused site, this is something I think we should all celebrate.

Reactions: moemoneyb1 and QFNS

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Helldivers 2 being a coop online shooter and only 40$ makes it not surprising at all its near the top of the seller chart. Seems like a much bigger budget than the first game too. Plus third person shooters are a genre in demand these days. Even that Aliens game not that long ago did well but kinda forgotten fast. We will see what kind of legs this has but its an easy sell and the State of Play was good marketing timing for it as well.

Reactions: hersheyfan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
For the last few days, I have been enjoying Suicide Squad for what it's worth, as in not much but not horrible burn that filth level.
I even agree with the reviews from PC Gamer and RPS I skimmed. The 60 Metascore feels right, what doesn't is the overwhelming majority of comparable products not being treated on the same scale, but that reviewers (and influencers) for you.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Powering the Deck after weeks of no use. DeckyLoader doesn't work anymore ? I can't seem to access the menu.
Will have to retry after the usual big list of updates.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

fearthedawn

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I get into arguments because PC people tend to get insanely defensive when a port is criticized. The argument I mentioned today was literally because someone saw that SS pic and said "console just as bad", and when I provided proof that it doesn't have anywhere near the same level of stutter (I mean all you have to do is watch the video it even has freakin timestamps to help zero in on this stuff) they just ignore reality and keep saying that. It happened with jedi survivor last year too even though you literally had DF saying the console version was better. It's just really weird behavior that's extremely similar to the things console warriors do and when I see that I'm going to call it out every time.
I know they are out there, but i've yet to play a game where i would prefer the console version over a bad port on a high end pc. But who the fuck is defending bad ports? Having to tinker around and using mods/hacks and tools like Special K to get there is way too common.

• This!
Reactions: Lashley

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Don't you know a triangle is the most efficient Square?
I'm not sure that's what you are referring to, but if it comes to screen-space effects that's literally true.

(Rendering a full-screen effect the "natural" way by using a screen-sized quad is less efficient than doing it by using a single triangle that goes beyond the boundaries of the viewport and covers the entire screen; I doubt the effect is at all noticeable on modern GPUs, but it's there)

I don't know, I played FF7Remake as soon as it came out on Steam and it played like a dream, 1440p and 60fps locked on my old GTX 1080, I think the only disappointing thing about the PC release was the lack of graphics options, but the game ran super easy relatively speaking.
That, plus the fact that it doesn't work at >4k resolutions without modding. Also had a very decent experience regarding performance though.

I know they are out there, but i've yet to play a game where i would prefer the console version over a bad port on a high end pc. But who the fuck is defending bad ports? Having to tinker around and using mods/hacks and tools like Special K to get there is way too common.
Yeah, there's a difference between "defending bad ports" and e.g. relaying the experience that no, FF7R didn't have any notable stuttering issue when I played it.

The thing is, something can be a mediocre port and still be the best version (on a high-end PC). In fact, I think that's rather common.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I prefer to say “barebones port”, because a “bad port” to me is a port that is worse than the version it comes from, whereas a barebones port is at a minimum on par with the version it was ported from without any tangible PC benefits or considerations (even if that’s unsatisfactory).

I’ll use MGS2 as an example.

The PC version of MGS2: Substance that released 20-odd years ago is a bad port. It barely worked when it released, plays horribly and is plagued by a whole bunch of compatibility issues. It is worse than the Xbox version it was ported from.

MGS2 Master Collection Edition is a barebones port. It doesn’t really have any PC specific features or considerations, but it works. If you compare it to the version it was ported from, the Xbox 360 version of MGS2 HD, it’s pretty much the same game but with some bug fixes.

Is that good? No, not really. But the game is playable and if you wanted to play MGS2 there isn’t a better version available on previous generation hardware.

Going back to FFVII Remake, I’d loathe to call it a bad port by any definition. The game works, there’s no stutter, it scales well up to 4K without mods and down to Steam Deck, the graphics are improved versus the PS5 version and if I was asked to pick a version it’s a no-brainer that the PC version is the way forward here.

At the very least it’s a barebones port, but even that seems wrong to me given it’s an improvement on PS5.

Maybe it’s just adequate and could be better?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I prefer to say “barebones port”, because a “bad port” to me is a port that is worse than the version it comes from, whereas a barebones port is at a minimum on par with the version it was ported from without any tangible PC benefits or considerations (even if that’s unsatisfactory).

I’ll use MGS2 as an example.

The PC version of MGS2: Substance that released 20-odd years ago is a bad port. It barely worked when it released, plays horribly and is plagued by a whole bunch of compatibility issues. It is worse than the Xbox version it was ported from.

MGS2 Master Collection Edition is a barebones port. It doesn’t really have any PC specific features or considerations, but it works. If you compare it to the version it was ported from, the Xbox 360 version of MGS2 HD, it’s pretty much the same game but with some bug fixes.

Is that good? No, not really. But the game is playable and if you wanted to play MGS2 there isn’t a better version available on previous generation hardware.

Going back to FFVII Remake, I’d loathe to call it a bad port by any definition. The game works, there’s no stutter, it scales well up to 4K without mods and down to Steam Deck, the graphics are improved versus the PS5 version and if I was asked to pick a version it’s a no-brainer that the PC version is the way forward here.

At the very least it’s a barebones port, but even that seems wrong to me given it’s an improvement on PS5.

Maybe it’s just adequate and could be better?
I just can't stand when a game port that makes 7 or 8 figures profit can't be bothered to do things that can be easily done on a 5 figures budget.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I just can't stand when a game port that makes 7 or 8 figures profit can't be bothered to do things that can be easily done on a 5 figures budget.
Yeah, it definitely shows a deep cynicism on behalf of the developer or publisher.

I think if you make a port that “could be better”, shall we say, and it makes 7 or 8 figures profit you really should have no excuse to not do right by your customers and fix the game.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Oh man you don't even want to know how common this issue is. I've had people straight up tell me tlou part 1 is better on PC, at launch mind you not like right now after it's been largely fixed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.