Community MetaSteam | February 2024 - Let's bring democracy into the zone with love

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I was rewatching that DOA6 "Core Value" video from Evo Japan 2019 and I not used that they were doing something with Mouse (G-Tune). It's a gaming PC company in Japan. Wow the RTX 2080 TI ...... That takes me back.

Anyway I was wondering how have Team Ninjas PC ports been like since 2019? Omega Forces have been hit or miss, DQB2 and P5S were decent, but their other Musou games had issues. The only good Gust ports that I know of were Atelier Ryza 3 and the new free to play one. Oh yeah Team Ninjas also did release Nioh 2 on PC and that was an okay port, but it still lacked some features that the PS5 version had.

It's a shame that not all of their games have decent PC ports.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
After playing a Zelda-like game last week, I decided to install Ryujinx to play the Link's Awakening remake. This is one of my favorite games ever, and even today I can still see why. The dungeon design is truly amazing and the overworld is stuffed with charming characters and events. It's incredible that a small team managed to realize this on the game boy hardware with limited tools.

I also tried some other Switch games, and I'm baffled how simple and/or low res the textures are. I can't imagine buying a Switch nowadays to play these games in 720p. So sad that Nintendo keeps holding on to exclusivity for their games...

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The May 29 date is what Sony paid for exclusivity.

SE’s position is so weak they likely can’t sign exclusivity for any longer, and Sony knows the PC version won’t be ready by then so they’ve essentially got free exclusivity past this date.

FFXVI is the same - we’re coming up to 2 months past the “exclusive until…” date and we have barely heard a whisper of the PC release.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I do not feel afraid or presumptous to say i would do a better job managing the Final Fantasy Brand (Or Square Enix in general)
Being an outside observer, it’s kind of easy to say that.

There’s probably all sorts of internal politics to manage, not to mention trying to keep things afloat until the next quarterly report to shareholders.

Hard to say with any certainty that someone else could land in the leadership role and turn things around without having that perspective.

That said, part of being a leader is influencing and bringing people around to your perspective, so who knows?

But as an outside observer, it’s so obvious that their strategy is plain broken. I used to think they had some sort of plan, but watching them flail around and do the most random and self-sabotaging shit for little to no long (or even short) term benefit is mind-boggling.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
FF7Rebirth will likely drop on PC some time after XVI, which means, we wait for XVI DLC then they can focus on Rebirth. So no, it won't come after 3 months to PC :p

Reactions: QFNS

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
FF7Rebirth will likely drop on PC some time after XVI, which means, we wait for XVI DLC then they can focus on Rebirth. So no, it won't come after 3 months to PC :p
I think you’re probably right, but on the other hand, I imagine porting Rebirth to PC is probably more straightforward than FFXVI given the engine. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve been developing the PC version in tandem with the PS5.

This is Square Enix, remember, so you need to take into account their completely weird and random behaviour.

In short, who the heck knows?

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I think you’re probably right, but on the other hand, I imagine porting Rebirth to PC is probably more straightforward than FFXVI given the engine. Wouldn’t surprise me if they’ve been developing the PC version in tandem with the PS5.

This is Square Enix, remember, so you need to take into account their completely weird and random behaviour.

In short, who the heck knows?
Right haha It could happen and tbh, It wouldn't surprise me

Mana

Indie & JRPG
Nov 25, 2022
Norway

:cat-heart-blob:

• Gib
Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

:cat-heart-blob:
This reminds me that I still have to finish Gujian 3, after I retired it. I was stuck at this part where the game forces me to engage in its base building mini game, except I seem to lack some resources (I think wood?) and thus it fails, and I think I can't leave the base until I do some base building, so basically soft locking me.
I actually want to finish it, but the game seems to not want me to

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
How well does FF7 remake play on the deck? Considering finally getting it but if it plays in like 10 fps looking worse than the ps1 original then I might not.

On Steam Deck, I played through different parts of the game including the more busy battles in the base game and FF7R Episode Intermission (Yuffie’s DLC) to see how things run at different settings. If you care about image quality, I’d recommend capping to 30fps, turning shadows to low, and setting the resolution to 1080p. You can also force a higher default resolution through Steam Deck’s properties for the game as Valve introduced in a recent update. Keep in mind that the resolution will adjust depending on the load to hit the frame rate.

This dynamic resolution is more aggressive at higher frame rates. Expect a much softer image if you play at 60fps. The texture resolution didn’t seem to affect the overall performance for me as much as the shadow resolution. If you want to play at higher than 30fps, consider 40 or 50fps by setting the game’s frame rate to 60, and limiting it through the Steam Deck refresh rate. You should also set it to 720p here. Once you do that, you will be able to play at 40fps without much trouble.

One thing to note is that you can also enable the game to run using DX11 instead of DX12 through the game launch options on Steam. This should fix most of the stuttering for you if you’re having issues getting it to even run at 30fps. After doing a lot of testing, I ended up settling on playing it at 720p and 40hz. The PC port for Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is still not as good as it should be, but spending a bit of time to try out the few options on Steam Deck, will help you find what works best for you.

In my testing, I tried various chapters including the busier ones in the slums, the infamous door (that isn’t blurry here like on PS4), a few late game areas with a lot of particles effects, and the more closed areas. The stress area for most is the slums during the day, which I managed getting to run fine and after some tweaking. In fact, I did all my tweaking in that area before settling on what to use for the rest of the game.

• Eyes
Reactions: Le Pertti

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Pretty subjective cos he thinks he has a winner/potential business the way he decided works well for his needs but yeah, it'd definitely be better than Konami's effort. Still disagree with drawing a line on either pure emulation as lazy or adding new assets as a no go, sure they aren't the greatest in some remasters but in others they're great and fitting (OoT3D or more recently Quake as great examples of fitting new assets that elevate them to a consistent standard they originally couldn't/didn't). Why's a new texture or model so bad but radically different visual quality, effects and lighting are fine as toggles? Ask for toggles for the former then rather than damn its existence. And if they're toggles but you turn everything extra off as not fitting or pure then how's it different to lazy emulation, lol?

Last edited:

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I’ve been tempted to grab a PS5 again for FFVII Rebirth. Even more since I’ve begun collecting some physical Switch games, so why not have a PS5 collection too?

On the other hand, I could grab a digital PS5 and just use it for select games, including Rebirth. I’m just concerned this one will be Egged too, and then I’m stuck waiting for the Steam version even longer.

Or I could wait? Even if I buy it on PS5 I’ll 99% be double dipping anyway.

How well does FF7 remake play on the deck? Considering finally getting it but if it plays in like 10 fps looking worse than the ps1 original then I might not.
I did a playthrough last year switching between my PC and Deck. It ran fine. Usually 30-40fps. The terribleness of the PC port is vastly overblown.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Played and finished entire game on Deck at 40FPS. No major issues.

• Comfy
Reactions: Le Pertti

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Alright seems I should get FF7 remake... so it would mean I play LAD Infinite Wealth -> Persona 3 -> FF7 Remake. How will I have time for all that! Might be too much RPG
Maybe throw a short game of a different genre inbetween, yeah

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
That could be the date if Sqeenix was smart and worked on PC version in parallel with PS5 version. But they are not so I wouldn't expect PC version until maybe very late this year but more probably year later. We won't get FFXVI until all DLCs are out for example.
Honestly if the PC version is gonna be delayed I prefer it to just wait till it's the "complete edition" so I can just go through everything at once. Like Atomic Heart keeps dropping to tempting sale prices, but the DLC is only 50% released at this point so I never bite.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Pretty subjective cos he thinks he has a winner/potential business the way he decided works well for his needs but yeah, it'd definitely be better than Konami's effort. Still disagree with drawing a line on either pure emulation as lazy or adding new assets as a no go, sure they aren't the greatest in some remasters but in others they're great and fitting (OoT3D or more recently Quake as great examples of fitting new assets that elevate them to a consistent standard they originally couldn't/didn't). Why's a new texture or model so bad but radically different visual quality, effects and lighting are fine as toggles? Ask for toggles for the former then rather than damn its existence. And if they're toggles but you turn everything extra off as not fitting or pure then how's it different to lazy emulation, lol?
Oh, wait, I remember this dude. The cyperpunk 2D game about the dystopian future where "feminism won". Was also very much pro-Gamergate back when that was still a thing. Not sure what he's on about regarding emulation. The point of emulation is to preserve games as is, and any additonal features that improve IQ should be optional. Even if you assume people will always use them, the emulator should never force them on you

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Oh, wait, I remember this dude. The cyperpunk 2D game about the dystopian future where "feminism won". Was also very much pro-Gamergate back when that was still a thing. Not sure what he's on about regarding emulation. The point of emulation is to preserve games as is, and any additonal features that improve IQ should be optional. Even if you assume people will always use them, the emulator should never force them on you
He isn't saying any features are forced. Read the last line of his last tweet...
let you tailor your experience exactly like you want, feature by feature, from 100% original to 100% modern

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
He isn't saying any features are forced. Read the last line of his last tweet...
Given that his proposed solution starts with replacing the original rendering completely, I am not so sure it can truly give a faithful rendering of how the original game looked.

Ultimately, this boils down to how we think of game preservation. Do we want to keep games "exciting" and good looking, or are we more interested in trying to preserve games in a more holistic way, warts and all. I personally think the latter approach is ultimately more valuable and I don't see the proposed solution here as some kind of perfect system, merely one that compromises on the original look and feel in order to create a pseudo-faithful upgrade that retains a retro style while inserting technologies that are ultimately very modern. I'm not saying any of that is bad, it isn't, but I don't think it's some kind of silver bullet that would work for all remasters of early 3D games. In fact, I like the approach of the upcoming Tomb Raider remasters that modernise the look by default, but also retain (from what I understand) the completely original models, levels and rendering of the original PC games.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
"Waiting for the PC version" to fix things for a open world or semi open world UE4 game is a bold bet to put it lightly lol

Like sure it'll fix resolution but what other price are you going to pay for that :sweaty-blob:

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
"Waiting for the PC version" to fix things for a open world or semi open world UE4 game is a bold bet to put it lightly lol

Like sure it'll fix resolution but what other price are you going to pay for that :sweaty-blob:
Stutters ruin my enjoyment a lot less than visuals that look like Vaseline was smeared across my TV

I also recently played through Remake and had no issues :shrugblob:

If there were stutters I noticed none of them

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Remake didn't have any notable stutter issues in my experience.
Also, it at least supported 120 FPS, so while the overall technical effort was still sub-par (IMO), I don't think it's strange to wait for the PC version for an improved experience if your PC is decently high-end.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Also, it at least supported 120 FPS, so while the overall technical effort was still sub-par (IMO), I don't think it's strange to wait for the PC version for an improved experience if your PC is decently high-end.
This is how I felt. I’m not gonna say Remake was a good port, but people saying it’s terrible are mistaken.

Game ran fine. I played it at 4K 120hz with VRR on my PC, and on Steam Deck at 40fps locked, and it held that framerate mostly.

Even with all its shortcomings, the PC releases is still better than console. And I’ve played Remake on PS4 Pro, 5 and PC.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

I'm not sure if they patched the game but this is what it was like at launch. The DF vid was done by Oliver but even in his vid you can see a ton of stuttering at random points.

As an aside I'm kinda chuckling how many times I've seen Alex say that about a game in the last few years.

edit: Here is what the very latest open world UE4 game is like on PC too (suicide squad)

In case you're wondering no turning RT off doesn't really help much. The video covered that.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Supposedly using the DX11 flag, while it doesn't fix the stuttering completely, it apparently helps alot? (I haven't played the remake yet).
I have to jot these things down because I am planning a pre-rebirth replay of 7R and this time it'll be the PC version since I never got around to that one.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
After playing a Zelda-like game last week, I decided to install Ryujinx to play the Link's Awakening remake. This is one of my favorite games ever, and even today I can still see why. The dungeon design is truly amazing and the overworld is stuffed with charming characters and events. It's incredible that a small team managed to realize this on the game boy hardware with limited tools.

I also tried some other Switch games, and I'm baffled how simple and/or low res the textures are. I can't imagine buying a Switch nowadays to play these games in 720p. So sad that Nintendo keeps holding on to exclusivity for their games...
You can thank Twin Peaks for that!
That sword flashbang sucked though!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Helldivers 2 is doing great on the global sales ranking. Wonder if it will fire up Sonys asses regarding the PC strategy. Also only available atm on Steam on PC.

Still so weird Foamstars is PS exclusive.

• Gib
  • This!
Reactions: PC-tan and Ge0force

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
A friend of mine was complaining that they showed too much of Rebirth and it's probably going to affect his enjoyment of the game.

Couldn't help but chuckle. He knew he was going to buy it before it even was announced. Not like he needed convincing. I've barely seen anything and I don't intend to. Experiencing things completely fresh is so much better. I don't get why people insist on seeing the games before experiencing them first hand.

Reactions: curi0usBystander
Dec 5, 2018
Experiencing things completely fresh is so much better. I don't get why people insist on seeing the games before experiencing them first hand.
This is subjective. Some people enjoy things more knowing what's coming.
HOWEVER, In cases were people get affected for any kind of spoiler (and I'm using the word very loosely here) I agree with you.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

I'm not sure if they patched the game but this is what it was like at launch. The DF vid was done by Oliver but even in his vid you can see a ton of stuttering at random points.

As an aside I'm kinda chuckling how many times I've seen Alex say that about a game in the last few years.

edit: Here is what the very latest open world UE4 game is like on PC too (suicide squad)

In case you're wondering no turning RT off doesn't really help much. The video covered that.
and yet, in a side-by-side comparison the PC version will beat the shit out of console, and play at double the frames. It'll get mods. It will still be in my library 10 years from now and work without having to worry if the next lockbox is BC. PC version has access to the command/dev console. Can hook ReShade, can disable the super shit TAA, the Vignette, etc...

And yes, FF7R was patched on PC by both Square and Nvidia. As of driver 511.65, it handles VRAM swap better alleviating data stream stutters. Frame pacing issues are nearly eliminated wholesale by using VRR or G-sync. (Per PCGamingWiki.)

Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.