Community MetaSteam | January 2019 - Steaming along through Epic storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
That bit in the Epic store interview (or whatever it is) about Steam not being as integrated into PC gamers (or rather, people that play games on PC lets say) as people might think (especially here) doesnt surprise me. Anecdotally, most people I play the types of games people around here usually DON'T (your mobas, your mmos, what have you), either dont even have steam or dont particularly care if something is on Steam or not.

MY WoW posse for example, now that we've stopped, most of them migrated to Battlefield 5. They dont give 2 fucks about Origin or Steam, they just wanted to play BF5, its that simple. Same for the people (different people) I played Heroes of the Storm with, like only one of them is "like me" and plays a huge variety of games, but most play like 1 or 2 games outside the moba, if that. And again, they dont care where they play.

In fact, I probably interact with more people that don't care where a game is from than that do (outside the forum that is), because there's also the console contigency.
But do those gamers "count" as potential customers? If they don't care about the launcher because they only play 1 or 2 games, they don't care about other games. *shrug*

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
maybe you can do the separate thread in here as well? :)
I could, of course! I was gonna say "if that's fine by the moderation since it's a repost," but then I remembered this is MC. If others would like to discuss it over here as well, then.

maybe because of all the images and embeds?
I dunno. It works okay on resetera, but since the update it's also gotten somewhat slower. The window where you post in particular is very sluggish with inputs. No idea what that could be.

pahamrick

Pricky Ricky Dicky Bob
Sep 6, 2018
Happy birthday pahamrick :giggle:(y)

So excited to get the chance to play this series now :)
Happy birthday to all the birthdayers

Happy birthday pahamrick !!!

Fantastic! I just started it again yesterday, so this is perfect. That DLC sounds impossible though, I have enough trouble already with the B-sides, of which I could only beat the second one.
Happy birthday pahamrick !

Have a nice one.
Happy birthday, pahamrick .

:wd_praise:

Have a great day!
Happy birthday pahamrick

Hope you have a great day you big lug :)
Thank you all so much. GROUP HUG

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I could, of course! I was gonna say "if that's fine by the moderation since it's a repost," but then I remembered this is MC.
exactly ;)

If others would like to discuss it over here as well, then.
just do it :p if people won't want to talk about it - they won't reply in the thread :p haha

I dunno. It works okay on resetera, but since the update it's also gotten somewhat slower. The window where you post in particular is very sluggish with inputs. No idea what that could be.
that's probably it .... well, we'll have to commission a "disable images and embeds" addon sooner or later anyway ... so it's probably "sooner" now .... all depends on donations, i guess

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Reading this all in one article instead of dozens spread over the year really puts things into perspective. Can't help but laugh at everyone that says Steam is doing nothing.

From the upcoming 2019 stuff, these 2 sound the most exciting to me:
  • Store Discoverability: We’re working on a new recommendation engine powered by machine-learning, that can match players to games based on their individual tastes. Algorithms are only a part of our discoverability solution, however, so we're building more broadcasting and curating features and are constantly assessing the overall design of the store.
  • Steam Library Update: Some long awaited changes to the Steam Client will ship, including a reworked Steam Library, built on top of the technology we shipped in Steam Chat.
LIBRARY UPDATE HELL YEAH

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Joking aside, looks like there's a bunch of stuff not reachable at the moment, like howlongtobeat, anilist and who knows what else.

Reactions: lashman

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That is good news, but a bit surprising that it is taking so long.

I'm gonna hunker down over here for a while so Sergey can't find me.

Should've added the obligatory don't @ me at the end of that thread :coffee:
apparently he's correcting you by ... saying the same exact thing you transcribed in the thread ... only doing it in a way that makes it sound even worse than on the podcast

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: beep boop and Wok

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
crossposting:

I don't believe that there is a big enough variety streaming market to support the influencer model..

The percentage of real variety gamers in the streaming space (like Cohhcarnage) is tiny.
The viewership who follow variety gamers is tiny (if the counterargument is, that there will be more variety streamers if they will get paid)
Good luck getting the big streamers to play your game with a percentage cut. They will lose more money in subs and donations then they would ever make through some hundred sales on your game. They could even lose their complete Audience if they overdo it. Some streamers are in a "Streamer-trap" they lose audience for nearly every other game they play if they got big on GameX and the audience is coming to their channel because of GameX.

Ninja - Twitch statistics, analysis and predictions - SullyGnome
Ninja only gets 10 to 20% of his Audience when he is not streaming Fortnite.

Just looking at the biggest streamers: Most watched Twitch streamers, past 30 days - SullyGnome 95% are nearly single-game streamers.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
crossposting:

I don't believe that there is a big enough variety streaming market to support the influencer model..

The percentage of real variety gamers in the streaming space (like Cohhcarnage) is tiny.
The viewership who follow variety gamers is tiny (if the counterargument is, that there will be more variety streamers if they will get paid)
Good luck getting the big streamers to play your game with a percentage cut. They will lose more money in subs and donations then they would ever make through some hundred sales on your game. They could even lose their complete Audience if they overdo it. Some streamers are in a "Streamer-trap" they lose audience for nearly every other game they play if they got big on GameX and the audience is coming to their channel because of GameX.

Ninja - Twitch statistics, analysis and predictions - SullyGnome
Ninja only gets 10 to 20% of his Audience when he is not streaming Fortnite.

Just looking at the biggest streamers: Most watched Twitch streamers, past 30 days - SullyGnome 95% are nearly single-game streamers.
You can pretty much verify this anecdotally by sitting in any popular streamer's chat while they're playing a "variety" game.

Sit in a League of Legends streamer's chat while playing a new PS4 game? Constant complaints.

Sit in a Battle Royale streamer's chat while they play an MMO? Constant complaints.

Sit in an FPS streamer's chat while they play MTG: Arena? Constant complaints.

Chat in these situations is literally:

So yeah, I have no idea how you court streamers specifically. Now influencers that are known for LP's and "reviews" on YouTube or such...that might be a different story.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
So yeah, I have no idea how you court streamers specifically. Now influencers that are known for LP's and "reviews" on YouTube or such...that might be a different story.
Yeah. But I can see LP'ers actively ignoring an EGS game or stating that they don't have a partnership with Epic or the dev to not come across as shills. Me, and a big chunk of viewers value the... err at least, "look" of Streamers and LP'ers that are not sellouts. I value the opinion of streamers/LP'ers less that are doing sponsored content, if they do it more and more, i will completely avoid them.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
To be fair, there are a LOT of Twitch streamers who play a variety of games who have dozens to hundreds of subscribers, just not the big numbers. Courting the small streamers with cash incentives is probably going to be super easy and it's just another money = people on the store component for Epic, which seems to be their main method for driving numbers up, and they are hitting every angle their money can buy. Except for, you know, a modern level of development on their platform :p

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
It's going to be super easy for those who get first dips. But after there's hundreds of games releasing? Maybe not?
Probably depends on genre tho.

sauce

Babushkats
Dec 3, 2018
Oh shit, that library update is hype. And speaking of epic, is there a list of the games they've given away for free somewhere?

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
To be fair, there are a LOT of Twitch streamers who play a variety of games who have dozens to hundreds of subscribers, just not the big numbers. Courting the small streamers with cash incentives is probably going to be super easy and it's just another money = people on the store component for Epic, which seems to be their main method for driving numbers up, and they are hitting every angle their money can buy. Except for, you know, a modern level of development on their platform :p
But how big is the audience, really? Or rather, unique viewers, Some watch several streamers play the same game. (either because the streamers has no more interest in the game after a while, or ends his stream, or the viewer wants a different viewpoint/playstyle)
And how many of those people who watch a story focused game or platformer really buy the game itself?
I do sometimes, but mostly after I am on the fence about a game and watch streamers or lpers play the game to get a final opinion. But that#s not even 5% of my watching habit. mostly i watch games I will never buy because of skill or boring gameplay, or because I already have the game.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
But how big is the audience, really? Or rather, unique viewers, Some watch several streamers play the same game. (either because the streamers has no more interest in the game after a while, or ends his stream, or the viewer wants a different viewpoint/playstyle)
And how many of those people who watch a story focused game or platformer really buy the game itself?
I do sometimes, but mostly after I am on the fence about a game and watch streamers or lpers play the game to get a final opinion. But that#s not even 5% of my watching habit. mostly i watch games I will never buy because of skill or boring gameplay, or because I already have the game.
Oh it will almost never amount to much on its own. Again, Epic is just literally throwing money at every avenue to draw consumers to their store, because they offer nothing else currently (nor will they in the future, apparently). They probably are hoping a few variety streamers will join in, some game or other will become huge via word of mouth, and they can ride those coattails (of other people actually promoting the game on their own) to get more streamers on board and more devs on board as well., and later on they'll stop subsidizing that +-5% cut for the "influencer" but they'll have their customers already.

zkylon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4
Nov 2, 2018
if valve could only find a learning algorithm that weeded out the creeps on my friends list

「Echo」

鈴鹿御前。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
I just keep a really short friends list on purpose. Cuz I'm a jerk or somethin'. Think the biggest my list ever got was 45. Then I panicked and culled it to 32. It's nothing personal or maliciously motivated, just people I don't talk to, share common interests with, or interact with frequently. One tough pill to swallow for me was always that people on your friend's list could instantly chat with you, and I don't really like to chat on that level with people I'm not personal with or long-time friendly. I had such a hard time joining and getting used to discord for this reason. (And even then I've found I prefer smaller servers, so sorry I almost never visit PCGamingEra discord lol.) Forums to the rescue! :love: This old-school feeling has a layer of disconnect between time and people. I appreciate that feeling/layer.

I suppose for people with friends numbering in the hundreds though, managing them would be a pain yeah. Probably not very personal at that level either. That would give me some wicked anxiety.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I just keep a really short friends list on purpose. Cuz I'm a jerk or somethin'. Think the biggest my list ever got was 45. Then I panicked and culled it to 32. It's nothing personal or maliciously motivated, just people I don't talk to, share common interests with, or interact with frequently. One tough pill to swallow for me was always that people on your friend's list could instantly chat with you, and I don't really like to chat on that level with people I'm not personal with or long-time friendly. I had such a hard time joining and getting used to discord for this reason. (And even then I've found I prefer smaller servers, so sorry I almost never visit PCGamingEra discord lol.) Forums to the rescue! :love: This old-school feeling has a layer of disconnect between time and people. I appreciate that feeling/layer.

I suppose for people with friends numbering in the hundreds though, managing them would be a pain yeah. Probably not very personal at that level either. That would give me some wicked anxiety.
well at least we're still friends on steam :p yaaaay

but yeah, i totally get what you mean ... forums have this nice advantage that you don't have to be there are the exact moment a conversation about something is happening ... that's what threads are for ... so even if you jump in a few hours later - you can still read what people were saying and add to it ... and it's awesome :)

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Discord annoys me for the same reasons. It's more like a permanent chat room than a forum. Which is totally fine, but generally not what I am looking to participate in.

That said, I definitely still use it for stuff like VOIP in games. It's quite good at being that voice tool that everyone (probably) has, like Ventrilo and Mumble were back when I played WoW semi-regularly. The chat-rooms are a bonus ontop of that imo. Apparently they also have a store. LOL.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I have a soft-spot for super nice and selfless people. Plus you helped me out with that silly password situation. And let me write a recommendation for Senran Kagura. And invited me here in the first place. And we talk here a lot.
awww, thanks :cat-heart-blob:

it was nothing, really :)

Reactions: 「Echo」
Status
Not open for further replies.