Community MetaSteam | January 2019 - Steaming along through Epic storms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 113

Just looking around for someone to trade with my copy of Sundred as I bought it during its discount :V

As it was on sale recenrtly I didn't expect it to be part of the monthly. If it weren't on sale on Humble I would've held off but alas I already redeemed my key.
Ah, ok.
I asked because if you wanted a copy, I would gift you one. ;)

Reactions: lashman

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I mean Queen supplied so many people with Yakuza 0 that who will subscribe?

Poor ign got played by the Queen.
I am interested in the game but I didn't participate in any giveaway so I'm thinking about it. f Division was a Steam key...

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I am interested in the game but I didn't participate in any giveaway so I'm thinking about it. f Division was a Steam key...
unfortunately ubi stopped doing steam keys with AssFlag (and even then only Amazon had those - thanks to Tony)

Routa

Non-Stop MMO Searcher
Dec 22, 2018
More stories from my Kenshi tales.

I have set up finally set up an Outpost....but in a terrible spot and I have also made it too large, with not enough troops to protect all my walls.

While out and about with one group looking for more recruits, my outpost was attacked, I was able to fight them off, but took heavy losses and some of my troops fell into comas. A few hours later, slavers come by and are banging at the gates. Not ready for another battle, I peacefully let them in thinking they'll take away some of the barely alive attackers, but then I notice they begin enslaving some of my coma troops!
:wd_hot:

I managed to free one of them, but the other two were taken away.

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018

Just last month played the campaign for Battlefield 1. It was bad and nothing of value would be lost, if Dice outright stopped making campaigns anymore.
As a palette cleanser and to see if nostalgia is tricking me, I replayed Bad Company 2. Probably me knowing what to do and how to play effectively, this third time was over faster than I expected. Still a respectable length though.

Conclusion. There were no rose-tinted glasses. Bad Company 2 just is the best and most fun Battlefield campaign. The level design is great. Characters and writing are extraordinarily memorable and likeable. Despite having a modern military setting, it works so well that the game goes full ham and jokes. Weapons are fun to play with but customization isn't much in your hands. At least there are frequent opportunities to change up your loadout.

The story is simple, yet timeless. A rag-tag group of military misfits, the Bad Company, somehow ends up in charge of retrieving a secret super weapon and prevent the invasion of USA by Russians. It's full of cliches but never feels trite because it knows how dumb it is and thus uses it as a strength to create an enjoyable story. That will take you across a varied range of locales, all with a unique feel and atmosphere. The occasional change of pace whether it's a vehicle mission, on-rails segment or mini-boss prevents monotony.

Gameplay is simply awesome. Weapon feedback, sounds and enemy behaviour is a joy. I can't stress how much more fun it is to play BC2 than BF3/4/1. It's sad and I expect BF5's and future Battlefield campaigns to be similarly awful. It's not only the story and writing either, as I said. BC2 has a mixture of graphical effects and clarity that has been long lost in newer BF games. Feels like in pursuit of visual bombast, Dice has either forgotten or forsaken a pleasing player experience. Explosions and other actions leave the screen filled with noise. On the other hand, BC2 never complicates an easy-for-the-eyes presentation while still offering a spectacular action presentation.

Not all is great, however. Technical issues are a remnant of Dice's last-gen transition back to PC and the settings and support are pretty basic, to say the least. Overdone Bloom you could kill a person with, no ultra-widescreen support, no FOV slider or in-depth control over visual settings made it a bit cumbersome to set up properly, but once you get the Widescreen fixer app, it's smooth sailing apart cutscenes not looking right at times due to an increased FOV. You can toggle it on the fly with a hotkey, so it's OK.

It's really the mix of all the good parts that make Bad Company 2 stand the test of time. Dice's continuous fumbles make me believe it was due to stars aligning rather than intentional brilliance. Every fan of first-person shooters needs to play this at least once.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Just looking around for someone to trade with my copy of Sundred as I bought it during its discount :V

As it was on sale recenrtly I didn't expect it to be part of the monthly. If it weren't on sale on Humble I would've held off but alas I already redeemed my key.
I wanted to buy Sundered but was literally a minute too late in the Steam sale (I put it into my cart for €5 and then it was €20).
I'd happily trade you any similarly priced game on Steam for it (or Ibb & Obb + Psychonauts, which I have in my inventory).

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I wanted to buy Sundered but was literally a minute too late in the Steam sale (I put it into my cart for €5 and then it was €20).
I'd happily trade you any similarly priced game on Steam for it (or Ibb & Obb + Psychonauts, which I have in my inventory).
I have those games actually. I most likely would trade for a $5 game or such tho :x

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018

Follow my curator for more great puzzle game recommendations!

Kolumno is an interesting combination of puzzle game and reaction game. Drop the steel ball from the top of the column to the bottom avoiding all the obstacles, simple as that.

Of course, nothing is that simple! It's all about timing and the correct use of the various skills at hand. Any hit results in the ball missing the hole at the bottom so you have to be perfect, sometimes pixel perfect. Rings spin around, open and close and appear and disappear. Luckily you have the aforementioned skills. Pause the ball for a few seconds, shrink the ball to fit through tight gaps, drop really fast and smash through up to four blocks. Most of the levels only require one or two skills or even just perfect timing. Some of the later levels do require you to use most if not all the skills, these levels are tough though there are multiple solutions.

The graphics and sound fit the minimalist theme well and the overall presentation is great. Great experience for the price, sometimes frustrating but always rewarding when you get it right.

BAN PUNCHER

CUNT OF PERSONALITY
Sep 19, 2018
I just bought The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. On Switch. Because it was half the price that it is on Steam.

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018

Just last month played the campaign for Battlefield 1. It was bad and nothing of value would be lost, if Dice outright stopped making campaigns anymore.
As a palette cleanser and to see if nostalgia is tricking me, I replayed Bad Company 2. Probably me knowing what to do and how to play effectively, this third time was over faster than I expected. Still a respectable length though.

Conclusion. There were no rose-tinted glasses. Bad Company 2 just is the best and most fun Battlefield campaign. The level design is great. Characters and writing are extraordinarily memorable and likeable. Despite having a modern military setting, it works so well that the game goes full ham and jokes. Weapons are fun to play with but customization isn't much in your hands. At least there are frequent opportunities to change up your loadout.

The story is simple, yet timeless. A rag-tag group of military misfits, the Bad Company, somehow ends up in charge of retrieving a secret super weapon and prevent the invasion of USA by Russians. It's full of cliches but never feels trite because it knows how dumb it is and thus uses it as a strength to create an enjoyable story. That will take you across a varied range of locales, all with a unique feel and atmosphere. The occasional change of pace whether it's a vehicle mission, on-rails segment or mini-boss prevents monotony.

Gameplay is simply awesome. Weapon feedback, sounds and enemy behaviour is a joy. I can't stress how much more fun it is to play BC2 than BF3/4/1. It's sad and I expect BF5's and future Battlefield campaigns to be similarly awful. It's not only the story and writing either, as I said. BC2 has a mixture of graphical effects and clarity that has been long lost in newer BF games. Feels like in pursuit of visual bombast, Dice has either forgotten or forsaken a pleasing player experience. Explosions and other actions leave the screen filled with noise. On the other hand, BC2 never complicates an easy-for-the-eyes presentation while still offering a spectacular action presentation.

Not all is great, however. Technical issues are a remnant of Dice's last-gen transition back to PC and the settings and support are pretty basic, to say the least. Overdone Bloom you could kill a person with, no ultra-widescreen support, no FOV slider or in-depth control over visual settings made it a bit cumbersome to set up properly, but once you get the Widescreen fixer app, it's smooth sailing apart cutscenes not looking right at times due to an increased FOV. You can toggle it on the fly with a hotkey, so it's OK.

It's really the mix of all the good parts that make Bad Company 2 stand the test of time. Dice's continuous fumbles make me believe it was due to stars aligning rather than intentional brilliance. Every fan of first-person shooters needs to play this at least once.
I think it was intentional brilliance on the part of the people who worked on the campaign and game itself, rather than necessarily anything visionary by higher ups. And I assume many of those people have either moved off Battlefield or left the company by now, which is a real shame.

Glad to hear it holds up though. I think about replaying both BFBC games every once in a while, but I was worried about my rose-tinted glasses too.

The thing about graphical clarity is spot on. I'm not sure if it was just the perfect combination of tech and timing, but like you said, there are just enough effects that it looked great, but it's not hard to visually read what's happening. Whereas when I played BF1 and BFV, there's so much nonsense happening that readability is almost zero, which makes the actual game process completely different (and sucky imo).

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Bad Company 2's probably the last time I was really into a multiplayer game. I don't even really know what was different about it from other deathmatch type games it's just everything felt good. Except for all the campers. Fuck snipers/campers.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
lashman can we get d-pad icons for down-back and down forward please?

Jack Black doing right by video games.

I just bought The Missing: J.J. Macfield and the Island of Memories. On Switch. Because it was half the price that it is on Steam.
I dunno if buying from the Mexico eShop counts though :rolleyes: That'd be like the ye olde method of getting a game from a different region that's cheaper than your base region. Actually if that's the case, then good on ya~
:wd_salute:

Ex-User (307)

MetaMember
Dec 11, 2018
Bad Company 2's probably the last time I was really into a multiplayer game. I don't even really know what was different about it from other deathmatch type games it's just everything felt good. Except for all the campers. Fuck snipers/campers.
I haven’t tried to get into a BFBC2 server in years, but what I remember liking about BC2 was:
  • No prone, still one of my favorite decisions to try and limit some camping. Compare this with BF1/BFV’s plethora of complaints from casuals and pros alike regarding the nigh impossible readability of people proning on places like rocks.
  • Destruction was actually a fairly tactical decision in a way I don’t feel like it has been since. MCOMs could be armed manually and also destroyed by building collapse. If you flattened a town to try and destroy one of the MCOMs in Rush, you might also inadvertently create a flat kill box with clear sight lines for the defense.
  • Destructability implementation and small player counts made for greater player agency. Series vets complained that Battlefield is about big player counts and big maps, but in 40+ and especially 64 player matches in recent BFs, I’ve felt like a tiny cog in a machine. In BFBC2 (and 1) you could actually carry a match. You could also do goofy stuff in Rush particularly, like try taking MCOMs with tanks or suicide C4 vehicles.
  • Maps were designed with more singular focus. Whereas current maps generally have to be multipurpose (I.e. multi mode), the BFBC2 maps were basically designed with Rush in mind. Which, if you enjoyed the mode, made for excellent game design.
  • Also, easily one of the best DLC the series has ever had in Vietnam.
I’ve gotten into multiplayer games since, but I’ve never spent a couple hundred hours in an FPS again. And might never again honestly.

Reactions: Derrick01

BAN PUNCHER

CUNT OF PERSONALITY
Sep 19, 2018
lashman I dunno if buying from the Mexico eShop counts though :rolleyes: That'd be like the ye olde method of getting a game from a different region that's cheaper than your base region. Actually if that's the case, then good on ya~
:wd_salute:
Australian eShop ($25) vs Australian Steam ($43)

And I got another $5 off with my Itchy & Scratchy Money Nintendo Gold Coins.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Oceanhorn did not feel fun to play :S Controls feel too slow, combat is dull, the entire presentation is cheap and uninspired, the design of the islands is confusing to the point that when I reached the 2nd island I was wondering where the dungeon is. Seems I need to explore the nearby islands one by one in order to further progress, but the core gameplay is just too boring to keep my interest.

Really hope Oceanhorn 2 becomes a major improvement over it.
Post automatically merged:

i didn't make those, so ... don't think so :(

but you can just combine two:

:psx_dpadd::psx_dpadl: :xb_dpadd::xb_dpadl:
:psx_dpadd::psx_dpadr: :xb_dpadd::xb_dpadr:
That's the most obtuse way of showing a pretzel motion:V
↙↘↙↘

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
That's the most obtuse way of showing a pretzel motion:V
↙↘↙↘
well, that's all we've got, unfortunately :( i'd basically have to redo the entire thing from scratch since i don't have the source files for those ... plus they're in a spritesheet, so ... you know :p

Status
Not open for further replies.