Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Still thinking of getting a game or two from my Steam card money.

Any thoughts on Supreme Commander or Dark Messiah of Might Magic in the year of 2022? Do they still hold up? Do they even work on Windows 10?
Supreme Commander is a legendary RTS classic that i've never played but people legitimately have 10,000+ hours in it I'm sure it's been modded to heck and back to allow it to stay fresh over the years but i don't play it so only know it's reputation.

Same with Dark Messiah. I have it, never played it but i know of it's reputation and "F to Kick" meme. I imagine it's a little bit janky however do you like physics sandboxes in your fantasy action RPGs?

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019

Any thoughts on Supreme Commander or Dark Messiah of Might Magic in the year of 2022? Do they still hold up? Do they even work on Windows 10?
The last time I played Dark Messiah was 5 or 6 years ago and it was perfectly fine and held up. Some design choices are questionable and can be traced to what was usual at the time but the game is still super fun to play especially to screw around with the mid-2000's physics engine. As always with older games take a look at pcgamingwiki to find some fixes and tweaks you might need.

Can't really talk about SC as the last time I played it was a long long time ago.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Personally I will boycott every game containing NFT'S. I'm really tired of shitty business decisions in the games industry.

This said, I'm curious if Valve will keep their no-NFT rule. If they do, and all big publishers go full in on NFT'S, this may actually be the first thing that can hurt Steam as the most popular storefront. Imagine the next GTA or NBA not coming to Steam because they contain NFT trading items...
I think Valve will cave the second they are able to get some type of liability/legal agreement between Pubs and devs.

Lets be honest. The only reason Valve made this rule is because they don't want lawyers or the FBI up their ass again like they had with the CSGO gambling stuff. They know exactly what happens when items start having real world value outside of Steam. Its all about accountability with scams/fraud etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if Valve eventually allows NFTs to be sold on the Steam marketplace. Its funny but Steam marketplace has so much liquidity it is probably the only thing right now that can make NFTs blow up industry wide. It would probably be much better for Valve to be the central bank in all of this vs some scammer who makes lottery website online like those grifters did years back. Valve has more than enough talent to properly integrate all this NFT/Blockchain stuff with Steam too. Most of the concepts are already built into Steam. Some gaming company could absolutely pressure GabeN into doing this. If not one then several together would.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Why have a "Centralised" marketplace for a supposedly "Decentralised" product?
NFTs are just a glorified unique serial number with some item usually a jpg attached as a visible cosmetic but all your getting is a token who's value is entirely dependant on what service it provides you at this moment in time. When that site goes under all you own is a token in the blockchain. Whoop.

They have some usage in industrial and medical applications for tracing items through a process chain and validatiing them but in gaming? Meh. At this moment in time the market is purely driven by people trying to buy and sell them for profit when they have no actual use for the end user, it's all spectulative and it'll be years before they ahave any real value at all to a consumer if ever.

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021
MetaSteam | January 2022 - “Play to Have Fun”
MetaSteam | February 2022 - Play to Have "Fun”
MetaSteam | March 2022 - “Play" to Have Fun
MetaSteam | April 2022 - Play to "Have" Fun
MetaSteam | when Tactics Ogre releases - Play "TO", Have Fun

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
NFTs are just a glorified unique serial number with some item usually a jpg attached as a visible cosmetic but all your getting is a token who's value is entirely dependant on what service it provides you at this moment in time. When that site goes under all you own is a token in the blockchain. Whoop.

They have some usage in industrial and medical applications for tracing items through a process chain and validatiing them but in gaming? Meh. At this moment in time the market is purely driven by people trying to buy and sell them for profit when they have no actual use for the end user, it's all spectulative and it'll be years before they ahave any real value at all to a consumer if ever.
For now its just a helmet skin. But technically speaking if they can turn a Breakpoint helmet skin into an NFT then they should be able to turn boss fights or even story content into an NFT jpeg. Big enough teams will be able to do it over time.

That is why all these publishers want to push this shit. They see it as a new way to turn hardcore fomo fans into whales and turn whales into bigger whales.

DLC/expansions will be main driver with NFT. Season passes and DLC don't sell anywhere near as much as publishers want them to sell so now they have the opportunity to mark up prices for content to infinity. Basically turn everyone into whales.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I'm thinking about trying The Witcher 3 again after I'm done with DS3+DLCs
I tried 3 times and always got distracted by other things. I can play Batlletech Rimworld, Minecraft etc for hundreds of hours, but normal 3rd person RPG's can get exhausting after 20 to 40

A German Youtuber I am following is currently playing Witcher 1 to 3 on his channel so I will just watch that. but man is the "acting" (or rather the animations), the script and the german dub in Witcher 1 awful.

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
I tried 3 times and always got distracted by other things. I can play Batlletech Rimworld, Minecraft etc for hundreds of hours, but normal 3rd person RPG's can get exhausting after 20 to 40

A German Youtuber I am following is currently playing Witcher 1 to 3 on his channel so I will just watch that. but man is the "acting" (or rather the animations), the script and the german dub in Witcher 1 awful.
Witcher 1 was quite something... from the animations and character models to the rithm game combat and the sound degin and mixing. It's not just the german translation, it's every translation even english. Everything screams rough and jank and at the same time it's truly the labour of love and something that wouldn't be possible at any other time and in any other circumstances.

Also * raises shield* Witcher 2 is the best witcher game! * runs*

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Witcher 1 was quite something... from the animations and character models to the rithm game combat and the sound degin and mixing. It's not just the german translation, it's every translation even english. Everything screams rough and jank and at the same time it's truly the labour of love and something that wouldn't be possible at any other time and in any other circumstances.

Also raises shield Witcher 2 is the best witcher game! runs
Good tastes. Witcher 2 shits all over 3. Leaner, less bloated, largely as good for escapism.
Witcher 3 is where’s Waldo, Witcher 2 is… insert funny but so true comparison. It’s January the 1st, I… had leftover bottles.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I'm thinking about trying The Witcher 3 again after I'm done with DS3+DLCs
Yeah me too, been watching season 2 on Netflix and i got the (first?) book for Christmas and its been a long time since i played it so am keen to jump back in.
Got so many games unplayed though, feels like i should give them a go first. Will def try out Psychonauts 2 first.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Personally I will boycott every game containing NFT'S. I'm really tired of shitty business decisions in the games industry.

This said, I'm curious if Valve will keep their no-NFT rule. If they do, and all big publishers go full in on NFT'S, this may actually be the first thing that can hurt Steam as the most popular storefront. Imagine the next GTA or NBA not coming to Steam because they contain NFT trading items...
Not like the next GTA or NBA will come to Steam either way...

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

Maybe I should start with The Witcher 2 as according to How Long to Beat is the shortes one.

The first one is dated, started it several times and I always dropped.

Yeah me too, been watching season 2 on Netflix and i got the (first?) book for Christmas and its been a long time since i played it so am keen to jump back in.
Got so many games unplayed though, feels like i should give them a go first. Will def try out Psychonauts 2 first.
Not gonna lie, the series really made me want to give the games another try.

You should definitely play Psychonauts 2

fspm

MetaMember
Nov 1, 2018

SC single player: every mission objective is always not the real thing - mission area expanded and you get swarmed by an army 10 seconds later. So you just sit there for hours defending base and building gazillion units to not get wiped by 2-3 follow up 'objectives'. Every single one of them. No strategy, no bold moves allowed. The mission designer was low skill lame fuck lol.
DM - I doubt you'll enjoy it in 2022 especially after Dishonored but who knows.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I'm expecting the shitty NFT thing to really blow up this year. All these publishers are hinting very strongly towards it.

You will probably see a lot of preorder bonuses which award unique NFTs. That will probably be the first big thing. Being able to resell unique skins to people who didn't preorder games. Then will be unique NFT DLC. Unique content only select few can play and then resell to others so they can experience it. That will be the biggest hurdle for pubs to overcome in terms of outrage. If they are able to do it then its gonna become the wild west.

And worst of all one of these pubs will create some shitty dystopian marketplace for all this NFT stuff. Expect it to be 100x worse than Steam marketplace too. Once there is evidence of profits in all this shit then expect Playstation, Xbox and Nintendo to really jump aboard. That is where the industry really shifts from bad to worse. Dark times are ahead. Sadly.
I'm going to predict 2022 will see a couple high profile examples, and a bunch of negligible ones. But I'll also predict the whole fad will die off completely before it saturates gaming completely. It will probably get generally worse, even if they aren't using NFTs anymore though. They might not even use blockchain tech at all, but they will still try to sell us on their bullshit for years to come, and that part will 100% get much, much worse in the next 5 years.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I think I'mma get back into Gwent. They're making changes that're very good for folks like me who don't want to play consistently but have problems with FOMO.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

There's no objective reason. Everything that can be done in a centralized market with crypto can be done in a centralized market without the blockchain and more efficiently (from a computation / technical perspective). What they're doing this for is the financial investment / social hype. Because exploiting people with a new term wouldn't be as readily accepted. But eventually and inevitably the names crypto, blockchain, and NFT will become synonymous with financial ruin and they'll simply drop the terminology.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Anyone here using/used Windows 11? I installed it on my new PC last night but didn't have time to play around with it much. I usually don't mind jumping to a new version of Windows because I get used to the change pretty quickly. But even beyond the initial "wtf is this new UI" shock, at one point I tried installing Firefox and got a "Firefox could not be installed for some reason" error so now I'm kinda wondering if I'd be better off just sticking with Windows 10...

Is there any major reason to avoid it that I'm not aware of?

• Eyes

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Given how FF XIV has one of the most consistently decent fanbase, if SE manages to kill the game TWICE due to NFT, then they're fucking hopeless.
Ah yeah... If NFT/""""Blockchain""""" wiggles it's way into FF XIV, it might be the push i need to quit it honestly. 😓

I'm gonna try my best to not support this crap.

lool. must've sold very badly.
huh. For me at least, I think Dec. was the one I redeemed most codes since January lol.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
In case you have 30 minutes and want someone to explain what NFTs actually are (They're way dumber than you actually think)

It's some random guy interviewing the person who "downloaded" all of the NFTs who than subsequently explains what NFTs are, what they could be used for and what the blockchain is/could be use and what web 2? or3? I don't remember that part is can is being used for and it's all a lot of "We have the answer! Now we just have to find the problem!"

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I'm gonna try my best to not support this crap.
It's extremely likely that big publishers are gonna use their most popular franchises to push NFT's down our throat.

The future of NFT's in games will largely depend on gamers voting with their wallets, or accepting it because they don't care or really want to play a certain game.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
It's extremely likely that big publishers are gonna use their most popular franchises to push NFT's down our throat.

The future of NFT's in games will largely depend on gamers voting with their wallets, or accepting it because they don't care or really want to play a certain game.
yea. its just another way for big publishers to milk customers. and its the big buzzword of the day.
DLC, lootboxes, exclusive deals, its just cosmetic", "its a surprise mechanic"

its all the same garbage.

just make good games you dolts. stop blowing up your budgets on marketing and fancy graphics and you wont need all this crap.

btw, speaking of, watch Hitman 3 PC VR be a Oculus exclusive :p
I would not put it beyond IOI to pull this kind of crap on us. they didnt explictly announce a Steam release, so they could easily do that. they already did every kind of exclusive deal they could, so why not add some more!

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Alisa got another patch so I figured I'll finally check it out since the dev's been supporting it. I've been burned by old school survival horror wannabes (Back in 1995!) and some complaints made me avoid it until now but it seems legit (although it did black screen hang when entering the very first house the first time which sucked). It seems to combine elements from different games, most closely resembling RE1 I guess but also taking cues from RE4 for sure. Beyond the vibe, look and feel it's neat when it also directly but tastefully references specific scenes, like in the way it introduces the very first enemy. Both pre-rendered and the engine scenes are of very solid quality, not trying to be 90s square but having a consistent neat look rather than also trying to look like the era's worst. I also like the voice acting which is just about right for this style and the so bad it's at times good acting in the games it apes, except for the main character which is just bad, the secondary characters are much more fitting. Anyway, the game seems great, though the controls feel a tad slidey and combat has little oomph.

Last edited:

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I bought one other game in the sale on New Years eve. Cookie Clicker.

2 days later I am 20+ hours in. Admittedly it has been running while I was visiting family.

I am now thinking about leaving it running while I do some stuff on FFXIV.

It's far to late to get a refund. :loudly-crying-face:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Weird that we still don't see a steam page for Hitman 3. Don't tell me the EGS exclusivity isn't ending on Jan 20th.
They promised detailed update on Year 2 before release so there is still time.
I would not put it beyond IOI to pull this kind of crap on us. they didnt explictly announce a Steam release, so they could easily do that. they already did every kind of exclusive deal they could, so why not add some more!
I hope I'm wrong though. But as I said - and as has been discussed - IOI has become a dev that sells their games to platform holders first, customers last... sooo it really wouldn't surprise me.

~

Not buying any more now

I really liked Plague Tale and Ghost of a Tale. Fantastic games in my opinion :)

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Fiinished reading the main body of Umineko Question Arcs. Now I just have to get through a 5 hour epilogue or something.

So, what I'm saying is I still have a big chunk of Umineko left.
In other words, there's plenty of reading left to do.
In short, this story isn't done yet.
Essentially, I'm not even close to that point.
In summation, internal screaming

Last edited:

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Going to mod up Witcher 3, anyone recommend any essential mods? Not going to go crazy, just fancy some visual improvements.

• Eyes

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I love Witcher 2 but saying that it's better than 3 is weird to me.
As a huge fan of the books TW3 gave me what I always wanted, getting on my horse and riding across the continent hunting monsters, getting to visit so many of the places I had read about, randomly stopping at an inn and accepting a quest where anything can happen, finally getting a story involving the most important characters in Geralt's life. No more being confined to small parts of the world, I could finally explore the Northern Kingdoms at my leisure, knowing that all the amazing stuff that can be found in the Witcher lore was waiting for me. What a game.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Alisa got another patch so I figured I'll finally check it out since the dev's been supporting it. I've been burned by old school survival horror wannabes (Back in 1995!) and some complaints made me avoid it until now but it seems legit (although it did black screen hang when entering the very first house the first time which sucked). It seems to combine elements from different games, most closely resembling RE1 I guess but also taking cues from RE4 for sure. Beyond the vibe, look and feel it's neat when it also directly but tastefully references specific scenes, like in the way it introduces the very first enemy. Both pre-rendered and the engine scenes are of very solid quality, not trying to be 90s square but having a consistent neat look rather than also trying to look like the era's worst. I also like the voice acting which is just about right for this style and the so bad it's at times good acting in the games it apes, except for the main character which is just bad, the secondary characters are much more fitting. Anyway, the game seems great, though the controls feel a tad slidey and combat has little oomph.
I wanted to grab this at launch but decided to wait since the dev wanted to add a fuckton of things post launch. Good to know its shaping up nicely.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
yea. its just

IOI showed PCVR footage running on Index hardware ICYMI

Status
Not open for further replies.