Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
I finished both Dark Souls 3 DLCs. The only thing that I disliked was the amount of enemies in certain areas, that was pure bullshit.
The boss health bar overload is what I got most tired of. If they didn't grow a second health bar when you thought they were down and out, they just had a monstrous amount of HP. The DLC was bit of a sour note to go out on in the context of the series, but I did enjoy the environments and enemy designs a lot.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Witcher 1 was quite something... from the animations and character models to the rithm game combat and the sound degin and mixing. It's not just the german translation, it's every translation even english. Everything screams rough and jank and at the same time it's truly the labour of love and something that wouldn't be possible at any other time and in any other circumstances.

Also * raises shield* Witcher 2 is the best witcher game! * runs*
Witcher 3 wins for me due to sheer quantity of quality content, though Witcher 2 is pretty impressive in how much of a great RPG it packs into a fairly shot time frame (by modern standards) and how much it your few choices matter in affecting the plot. I will say, though, I really didn't like the combat in 2, and 3 felt far less broken in that regard.

If you ask me which Witcher game feels the best from a purely mechanical standpoint, I would have to go with Witcher 1, though. Very clean way of dealing with single monsters vs. groups and to this day has the most complex alchemy system that literally makes the difference between a fight being a complete breeze or dying within seconds.
Alisa got another patch so I figured I'll finally check it out since the dev's been supporting it. I've been burned by old school survival horror wannabes (Back in 1995!) and some complaints made me avoid it until now but it seems legit (although it did black screen hang when entering the very first house the first time which sucked). It seems to combine elements from different games, most closely resembling RE1 I guess but also taking cues from RE4 for sure. Beyond the vibe, look and feel it's neat when it also directly but tastefully references specific scenes, like in the way it introduces the very first enemy. Both pre-rendered and the engine scenes are of very solid quality, not trying to be 90s square but having a consistent neat look rather than also trying to look like the era's worst. I also like the voice acting which is just about right for this style and the so bad it's at times good acting in the games it apes, except for the main character which is just bad, the secondary characters are much more fitting. Anyway, the game seems great, though the controls feel a tad slidey and combat has little oomph.
Kickstarted this, and waiting for my Deck to drop later this year before playing it. Seems like a perfect game to play on a portable.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Yep, Gwent's got its hooks back in me. It helps that they're moving to a model with a lot less FOMO and all their other plans for the future sound enticing.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Well, people, all my new parts have been ordered.

I7 12700k
Asus TUF Z690 ddr4 (I'm using same ram as my previous rig)
Corsair Icue H100i Elite Capellix
2 nvmeS
Nice! That's awfully close to the build I made a few days ago.

i9 12900K (probably more than I needed but ¯\(ツ)/¯ )
Asus Strix Z690-A
Corsair iCue h100i Elite Capellix
32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4

I got a single nvme so I wouldn't have to immediately nuke my current Windows install just in case something went wrong. But once everything was up and running I just transferred all my SSDs over to the new PC.

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Nice! That's awfully close to the build I made a few days ago.

i9 12900K (probably more than I needed but ¯\(ツ)/¯ )
Asus Strix Z690-A
Corsair iCue h100i Elite Capellix
32GB Corsair Dominator DDR4

I got a single nvme so I wouldn't have to immediately nuke my current Windows install just in case something went wrong. But once everything was up and running I just transferred all my SSDs over to the new PC.
How are you guys building new PCs without GPUs?

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
I kept wondering throughout 2020 and 2021 if Ghost Story Games’ project might finally be unveiled. Can’t say I’m shocked to hear why that didn’t happen
Yeah, me neither but holy shit! It was supposed to be out in 2017. o_O I guess it has been a long time since Bioshock Infinite but damn...

I can't help but wonder what kind of game it'll turn out to be. Shutting down Irrational to start a smaller studio made me assume it would be more of an indie-scope kinda deal but hearing this makes me wonder...

How are you guys building new PCs without GPUs?
I'm still using the GTX 1660 Super I bought two years ago (for Cyberpunk, which they announced the first delay of like a week after I bought it lol).

It was a recent enough purchase that I couldn't really justify upgrading immediately so I went big on the CPU instead. My hope is I'll be able to get a card once the RTX40 series is out but uh, we'll see about that.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Stevey

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I kept wondering throughout 2020 and 2021 if Ghost Story Games’ project might finally be unveiled. Can’t say I’m shocked to hear why that didn’t happen

I mean story is not bad, dude is perfectionist and wants things to be done in certain way. There is no crunch, people are paid well and free to leave if they got bored of redoing things. It is experimental kind of studio. It is sad that we didn't get game from them for this long but i really don't think that this is some kind of bad story.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
The boss health bar overload is what I got most tired of. If they didn't grow a second health bar when you thought they were down and out, they just had a monstrous amount of HP.
Good point, I also felt every boss had inflated HP.

• Eyes

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I mean story is not bad, dude is perfectionist and wants things to be done in certain way. There is no crunch, people are paid well and free to leave if they got bored of redoing things. It is experimental kind of studio. It is sad that we didn't get game from them for this long but i really don't think that this is some kind of bad story.
It does seem a bit weird that he still seems to aim at having similar production values like his old AAA titles, but maybe the article just exaggerates a bit there.

Looking forward what his next game will be by the time it hits. From the article, it doesn't seem like he doesn't really have a firm concept yet.

• Eyes

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! TioChuck is giving away 1 gift(s).

This giveaway is a raffle and will be closed after Jan 3, 2022 at 11:36 PM. A winner is chosen randomly with the key delivered via a PM.

The raffle has ended.

The following games are being given away:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Also i spent 17h in Psychonauts 2 in past week or so and i didn't feel like i spent 17h. I love it that much and i know that i am near the end and i will be kinda sad when it's over even though i will spend over 20h in that game (and that is nice time amount). But all great things need to come to and end and i am glad that we got another game like this. Maybe we will get DLC in the future or another full game (prequel would be interesting). But i also started new long term game that i will play between "shorter" ones. I started with Days Gone today and 2 hours went by so fast XD And i have intention to finish Ghostrunner before GoW is out. Then it will be GoW, Days gone and probably some Bully in between.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Mivey

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Cyberpunk winning an award is a bit surprising. I guess it helps it's localized to PC players who had way better experiences than console players.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Looking at the awards I think there are 8 games I have tried. Out of them it's only Dorfromantik I consider GOTY materail. Although I do need to grab Nier Gestalt at some point (I want old man Nier in it).

The category that Cyberpunk won is the one category that I will not contest. It was the best thing about the game. I do need to go back and complete it however. I was waiting for a few more patches first.

I am now debating whether I start cookie clicker before I go to work tomorrow to earn some cookies while I am away...

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, I should've been a little more specific. I have Skyrim Special Edition, so any overhauls, i want to keep it pretty much vanilla just want to make sure it runs well and looks great.
IMO the vanilla game with just the patch and SkyUI is a perfectly good experience, even to this day.

There are maybe a couple base mods I would recommend, but you'll only notice an improvement once you've already experienced the vanilla game for a while. These are:

Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM - Static Mesh Improvement. Improves the Meshes and basic textures of 3D models and clutter items in the world. Doesn't change anything from the game experience so it's a nice to have.
Realistic Water Two SE - Realistic Water Two. Improves the general look of water and makes water bodies better looking overall. There are a few of these water mods, but this one is fine.

That's it. The reality is, most mods are aimed at people who have already exhausted what Skyrim has to offer the first time around. Even stuff like re-textures, lightning or weather mods, etc. could probably stand out from the rest of the game if you are not modding extensively already. So my recommendation would be for you to just jump in. Then, if after a few hours you feel you need something to punch up your playthrough or found something annoying you wish you could change, then you can come back and check if there is a mod for you.

If you need help or anything, tag me up here and I'll see what I can do. I'm not on meta much, but I'll try to help.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Steam Award Winners
I agree with some of that. REVillage was my GOTY2021 too.

Steam Awards are the anti-Oscars - never the smaller, artistic games, always the biggest titles, and one <random activity> Simulator
Well yep if you let people vote, thats what you'll get :)

EGS has taught me that a year is not a very long time.
indeed! also, how easy it is to forget about games even existing :p

Probably the best game I played of that year, and I really enjoyed the overall story and side quests. I am itching to check it out again with the new update (and I see there have been some good mods).
I recently played it again for a while. Its still great. I didnt really have any problems with it, so I cant tell if the patches made it better or not.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.