Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Andy Chalk - writer at PC Gamer and person with great reading skils said:
Generally, you cannot submit a discount within 30 days of release or 30 days from when the launch discount ends. However, you can submit a launch discount to take effect when your game first releases, and if your product releases within 7 days of a major sale event (like the Steam Summer Sale, for example), Valve can help you extend that introductory launch discount to last through the sale event.

That prevents IO Interactive from lowering the price of Hitman 3 in the Steam Sale, but that's only half of the issue.
Like, it says literally in the quote that IOI could have set a launch discount and have it last throughout the sale, if they wanted to. Clearly IOI doesn't want to discount their launch on Steam. There's being charitable, and then there's outright lying. Or should I just assume that the writer can't even read or comprehend the very paragraph he put in his article?

The cherry on top is this bit though:
Andy Chalk - writer at PC Gamer and person with great deductive skills said:
"When new videogame stores were opening that charged much lower commissions than Valve, I decided that I would provide my game Overgrowth at a lower price to take advantage of the lower commission rates," Rosen wrote. "But when I asked Valve about this plan, they replied that they would remove Overgrowth from Steam if I allowed it to be sold at a lower price anywhere, even from my own website without Steam keys and without Steam’s DRM."

Rosen's antitrust lawsuit against Valve was dismissed in November 2021, but questions about Valve's attitude toward price parity remain—especially since a reduction in platform cuts on both the Epic and Microsoft store fronts have not resulted in lower regular prices on either. Even if it's not a policy, though, IO Interactive may simply want to avoid ruffling feathers—either Valve's or gamers'—by offering Hitman 3 at a discount that's not available on Steam.
Games have sales on other websites all the time, without offering discounts on Steam. But I guess it's weird to expect someone writing for a site called "PC Gamer" to know that. Instead of doing some basic research (or I don't know, playing and buying games on PC and just knowing this shit), or just asking Valve (like you know, a reporter would do), let's just spread bullshit FUD about Valve and their nefarious price parity policies though.

God, this is a terrible article

Last edited:

Otenko

Huevo
Dec 30, 2021
Ecuador
what's a lashman?
Is that a type of pokemon
He is a new robot master for Mega man 12 hahaha
Henlo, Otenko!

Lashman's been away for a while, if you don't know.
Hello there!!! Hope he comes back soon.
Welcome! <3
Thank you pal!:coffee-blob:
Welcome~ :flare_switch:

I've only ever played the first EO. It's a shame that the series will be forever locked to NDS/3DS, but I might give it a go again one of these days on Citra. :flare_think:
The very first one? Dude you're a pro hahaha yeah they really use the touchscreen and stylus in a very interesting way. If you try it again, be sure to comment on it!!!
Another anime game player. MC is turning into a wicked place! :loudly-crying-face:

/jk. Welcome onboard!
Otaku power!!! :heroblob: we're gonna take over the world!!! hahaha jokes aside, i don't mind the aesthetics of the game :3
Welcome Otenko ! A friend of lashman is a friend of us all.
Thanks for the welcome, i guess he is very known here hahaha
lashman showing his real colors.
You are who your friends are!
Yeah!! he is hiding his kinks XD
Lovely to have you.

Have you played other EO games?
Now that you asked, yes! EO1 ,2 ,3 4, and the untold ones!!! Still got some left. Not sure if we're ever going to see them on another platform that DS/3DS :(
I forgot I owned a bunch of Etrian Odyssey games on 3DS. I should play those. They've awesome.
That's really cool!! Care to share some pics of the cartridges??? Those games need a lot of patience, and a lot of dying hahaha
Etrian Odyssey is one of those game series I would prefer Atlas to focus on bringing to PC. Along with Vanillaware...
What about an EO collection?? That would be really cool!! They did a great job with the untold remakes.
Just a really toxic situation happened between my group of friends... It's really hard to explain. And I gave it my absolute all to keep everyone together, but over the course of a few weeks things just continually broke down between everyone. Things were said, wounds ripped open. Everyone drifted apart, ghosted, broke promises, and it's just a mess.

For my own part, i take plenty of blame. Since Summer when my colon Cancer was diagnosed and I got surgery for my Crohn's Disease... I wasn't quite the same. Struggled a lot with depression and I didn't get on anti-depressants until October, they didn't take effect until half-way through November. So I admit, for my own part there were plenty of days I was a miserable person (and even now... not everyday is sunshine and rainbows you know?), but I showed up everyday i could and did my best regardless. Even in the end, I tried to keep everyone together but... Well, I hate to admit it but it's just at this point where bridges are burned and everything is sad. :crying-face:
Sorry to hear about your cancer dude, hope everything is going well with that :blobhug:. Its sucks when the group grows distant, but there is always the possibility of new friends!! if you're up to start something, I'm up too!! I like wow, and wished to try FF.

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

Basically Ubisoft is here saying that gamers are too stupid to understand what NFT/Quartz can bring them and that it will benefit us even if we don't see how.

Ubisoft says they will also continue to integrate it despite the complaints. So fuck us. They'll just bulldoze whatever they want anyway. (n)

That new YuGiOh game is confusing as fuck.
Yeah mainly because I don't understand any new mechanics introduced after GX. lmao. o_O All my Yugioh knowledge is old-school.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
They deleted me correcting in much detail how discount parity is for Steam keys etc. and asking why they didn't at least google it before writing fake news.

It's sneaky in that if I'm logged in I get no indication of it happening at all, but looking at the page without logging in my comments don't show at all, I dunno.

Hey, EGS gets a ton of sold on Steam games for free, let's just spread fud that Steam forces price/discount parity on EGS for this game though, it makes sense.

Last edited:

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
I don't think I'll ever put money on it. I don't trust Konami.
Oh no doubt, I"m waiting for the day that Konami fuck it up but right now it's pretty good all things considered. Battle pass progress is very reasonable, following any advice will get you a "meta" deck with a few staples without spending a dime.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Basically Ubisoft is here saying that gamers are too stupid to understand what NFT/Quartz can bring them and that it will benefit us even if we don't see how.

Ubisoft says they will also continue to integrate it despite the complaints. So fuck us. They'll just bulldoze whatever they want anyway. (n)

Yeah mainly because I don't understand any new mechanics introduced after GX. lmao. o_O All my Yugioh knowledge is old-school.
Ubisoft has the solution in search of a problem, but routinely gives up on actually finding the problem and just moves on to their next boneheaded endeavor

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
That's really cool!! Care to share some pics of the cartridges??? Those games need a lot of patience, and a lot of dying hahaha
I've got them digital, unfortunately. They were discounted pretty steeply a while ago and IIRC I picked up 4, 5 and either the EO1 or 2 remake (which I used to have on DS).

• Eyes

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
In keeping with my now-yearly tradition, I rolled up to the Steam Lunar Sale and bought a whole lot of quirky Japanese games. :blobyesanime:

Looking forward to playing Bustafellows, as I've been in the mood for an otome lately. Also finally bit the bullet on Idolm@ster: Starlit Season - always been curious about the series, and somebody in the discussions forum is apparently already working on a rudimentary English patch.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Alright that's Dying Light 2, Warhammer 3 and Elden Ring preordered... I might be set for February
I feel Im one of the few not particularly interested in Dyign Light 2, will depend of critic reviews, user reviews and my person interest. I found the first game rather boring honestly. Otherwise I have currently Warhammer 3, Elden Ring, Bloodlines 2 (lol, but it was cheap) and LiS Remasterd on pre-order.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I am kinda interested in Dying Light 2 but not 50$ interested. I have enormous backlog, I need to replace my phone because battery degraded a lot (it served me well for over 4 years) and overall I want to save more money than last year so I need to balance my purchases. Focusing on great backlog should be good way to do it until Gotham Knights and Hogwarts are out XD

And can you guess who wrote this article?

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t care much about this PC Gamer shit, business as usual, but what I can say is that I lament the lack of a good PC centric website. At the moment I can think of PC Gamer, PCGamesN, DSO Gaming, Rock Paper Shotgun… and the whole lot is more or less trash fire. Clickbait, EGS bias, listicles up the wazoo, paywalls.
We really need a small passionate team making a site that would work on a reasonable budget and thus wouldn’t require all this bullshit.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
I don’t care much about this PC Gamer shit, business as usual, but what I can say is that I lament the lack of a good PC centric website. At the moment I can think of PC Gamer, PCGamesN, DSO Gaming, Rock Paper Shotgun… and the whole lot is more or less trash fire. Clickbait, EGS bias, listicles up the wazoo, paywalls.
We really need a small passionate team making a site that would work on a reasonable budget and thus wouldn’t require all this bullshit.
You have my sword!

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I feel Im one of the few not particularly interested in Dyign Light 2, will depend of critic reviews, user reviews and my person interest. I found the first game rather boring honestly. Otherwise I have currently Warhammer 3, Elden Ring, Bloodlines 2 (lol, but it was cheap) and LiS Remasterd on pre-order.
FWIW, everyone and their dog seems to be talking about how monumentally amazingly stacked this Q1 is, and the only thing that interests me personally is Elden Ring. Even then I'm unlikely to get it at launch actually.

I'm the weirdo but game I'm most excited for this year no joke is AI Somnium Files 2. After that probably A Plague Tale 2.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Cacher

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
It's a catch 22 situation. Sites take the money because they need it to keep the lights on because many people run ad-blockers so the site doesn't get money that way, list articles and clickbait get views. People love to be angry and misery loves company so these articles drive ad-views to get money to pay for things. Also, who doesn't like money? It was the same back in the print era too. Very few "ethical" publications survive because nobody wanted adverts or paywalls and they didn't get the views to attract investors.

The problem is that everyone wants great game journalism but hardly anyone wants to pay for it. Luckily a lot of the good data driven and practical sites are part-funded by patreons which helps. I'd be interested to see how EuroGamer's subscription service is helping out.

There are many great small sites but in order to keep going they are very niche so you need a big list of them to cover your interests... and you need to put up with adverts.

Maybe this will change in future now everybody has 5 or 10 subscriptions and patreon donos so we're more used to paying for services like journalism?
Who knows? i don't.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
FWIW, everyone and their dog seems to be talking about how monumentally amazingly stacked this Q1 is, and the only thing that interests me personally is Elden Ring. Even then I'm unlikely to get it at launch.

I'm the weirdo but game I'm most excited for this year no joke is AI Somnium Files 2.
I planned to pre-order Horizon 2, but the Geforce Now leak has just made me more unsure about when to get the game.

• Eyes

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I planned to pre-order Horizon 2, but the Geforce Now leak has just made me more unsure about when to get the game.
Up to you of course but I imagine it'll still be a couple years off on PC.

Personally, that's just another one I don't care about. I miss when Sony made interesting exclusives (imo) :anguished-face:

• Eyes

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Up to you of course but I imagine it'll still be a couple years off on PC.
The Geforce Now leak hinted towards september this year and Alex from Digital Foundry hinted on ERA it will be a short time betweren PS5/PS4 and PC release. That's why Im unsure.

• Eyes

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
EdwardTivrusky Sure, while I despise the state of things right now, I understand where they are coming from.
I was under the assumption that less workforce, less need for shenanigans. But maybe you are right in thinking that it would limit a site too much, that it would be niche and you would need several of those to cover your needs.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
The Geforce Now leak hinted towards september this year and Alex from Digital Foundry hinted on ERA it will be a short time betweren PS5/PS4 and PC release. That's why Im unsure.
I’ll be waiting it out for a bit. It either gets a PC release soon and I buy that, or the PS5 version goes on sale at a price I’m willing to pay and I buy it then. I am not fussed either way.

• Eyes
OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
In keeping with my now-yearly tradition, I rolled up to the Steam Lunar Sale and bought a whole lot of quirky Japanese games. :blobyesanime:

Looking forward to playing Bustafellows, as I've been in the mood for an otome lately. Also finally bit the bullet on Idolm@ster: Starlit Season - always been curious about the series, and somebody in the discussions forum is apparently already working on a rudimentary English patch.

I CAN'T BUY THAT AND IT MAKES ME SAD!!!!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I’ll be waiting it out for a bit. It either gets a PC release soon and I buy that, or the PS5 version goes on sale at a price I’m willing to pay and I buy it then. I am not fussed either way.
Yeah, I think I will too. My backlog is too big of games Im planning to play through + Elden Ring and Warhammer 3 will take up a lot of my time.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and C-Dub
Status
Not open for further replies.