Community MetaSteam | January 2022 - With a new year comes great responsibility, BOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
It's different. The workaround you outline (i.e. in-game DLSS to a DSR resolution which is then downsampled to the display res) was possible before, and it actually works really well, but it requires the game to support DLSS.

DLDSR works for everything -- it's basically a different way to downsample a DSR image. And in terms of inputs, since it doesn't have any of the additional information DLSS (2.0) has (such as motion vectors or multiple jittered samples) it's actually a bit closer to DLSS 1.0 than DLSS 2.0 -- with the major difference that it downsamples instead of upsampling, which clearly makes that approach more viable.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Grabbed Inscryption since I had Humble Choice and $12ish bucks seemed like a good deal.

I bought it just on the current word of mouth so hopefully it works out. The last time I jumped into a rogue type game just off the cuff was Spelunky and I didn't like it lol.
That is a really good price! Definitely one of the most memorable games I played last year (which may not seem much given it came out at the end of the year haha), but I really enjoyed it.

And I also bounced off of Spelunky if it is any consideration haha. I keep meaning to give Spelunky another go since folks say it takes a fair number of runs to make the game click.

___

Last edited:

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Grabbed Inscryption since I had Humble Choice and $12ish bucks seemed like a good deal.

I bought it just on the current word of mouth so hopefully it works out. The last time I jumped into a rogue type game just off the cuff was Spelunky and I didn't like it lol.
You can be assured that Inscryption is NOTHING like Spelunky. I like Spelunky (am shit at it though), but Inscryption is amazing. I hope you enjoy it and give it the time it deserves. It is so much more than it seems.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

BOY!!!

GoW port is great but i need to say that i kinda hate lack of Full Screen option because i don't want to change my desktop resolution to be able to pick higher resolution in game.
Yeah that's a bit of a worry for me. It runs fine on my laptop (which has a 3060 and runs at 1920x1080)... but on my desktop (which has a 1070Ti but runs at 2160x1440) it might not do so well... will test it later today.

• Gib
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I started Supraland Six Inches Under and so far it's pretty solid. It's more Supraland so if you played the previous game it will feel familiar though the combat was toned down in comparison with the first game.
Yeah i bought this yesterday, really liked the first one (despite the janky combat) so keen to try this follow up. I think it was originally planned to be DLC but they fleshed it out into a full standaone title.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I am honestly quite surprised by Sonys commitment to the PC versions, a very good thing!
It is indeed a good thing, but I'm not personally surprised. There's a million and one reasons why both Sony and MS would want to bring their games to where the PC players are, rather than half-heartedly trying to lure PC players off that platform. Those range from them simply leaving money on the table, or subtly discouraging certain people from buying their supply constrained hardware as a "secondary" system purely for the exclusives (for example, if you buy a PS5, Sony wants you using it as your main platform, subbing to PS+, buying all your games there, etc.), through to them having cloud versions of their games that don't require them to fill a datacentre with custom console hardware.

With all that in mind, there's no reason why they wouldn't show strong committment to this, and why they wouldn't progressively do a better job with each port. I think as soon as they purchased Nixxes I knew they were going in for the long haul.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah i bought this yesterday, really liked the first one (despite the janky combat) so keen to try this follow up. I think it was originally planned to be DLC but they fleshed it out into a full standaone title.
Indeed it was supposed to be a DLC made by the new hires but it grew so much in scope that it became a stand alone game.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Well today i got pissed enough to spend unplanned 80 euros on new system SSD xD I had old Samsung 840 Evo 120GB as my system SSD and it was enough for me for years, but last few days i started getting warnings about full disk (it still had like 7-8GB free) and whenever i managed to clear it to 15GB of free space (which is what i was operating with in past like 7-8 years) it would fill up again. Si i got pissed and went and bought Samsung 870 Evo 500GB and cloned old disk to new one and called it a day XD So far everything works fine.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Saturday started with a shock - PC didn't boot anymore. Was immediately praying that I wouldn't have to replace any parts in the current market situation.
Took it apart, cleaned it, reconnected everything, fixed some cable management. Still nothing.
I fixed it by unplugging my external hard drive. It's not in the boot order, it has never tried booting from it before. But that was the issue. Don't ask me why.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
GoW port is great but i need to say that i kinda hate lack of Full Screen option because i don't want to change my desktop resolution to be able to pick higher resolution in game.
Wait, you run your desktop at lower than native res? Or is that about using some custom higher than native resolution for downsampling?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Wait, you run your desktop at lower than native res? Or is that about using some custom higher than native resolution for downsampling?
I often use higher resolution in game than my native monitor resolution if there is enough headroom.

• Eyes

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I am glad that the idiots trying to make NFT a thing, thought PC/Console gaming was a good first battlefield.

Just imagine, if they just "quietly" made it a thing on mobile. I am 99% sure, that it would have gained a foothold on mobile.
PC/Console gaming isn't immune to mobile trends, it may take a few years, but the Genshins Impact... impact on gacha acceptance on non-mobile is irrefutable. (it wasn't the first Gacha-heavy game on PC/Console, but the highest-profile to date)

That, of course, assumes that NFT's are able to deliver what they promise, doubtfully. So, in the end, shouting from the rooftops trying to make it a thing was the only way those scammers can make any money out of it.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Pommes

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
Saturday started with a shock - PC didn't boot anymore. Was immediately praying that I wouldn't have to replace any parts in the current market situation.
Took it apart, cleaned it, reconnected everything, fixed some cable management. Still nothing.
I fixed it by unplugging my external hard drive. It's not in the boot order, it has never tried booting from it before. But that was the issue. Don't ask me why.
Had the exact same thing awhile ago with my PC... Not sure if it was an issue with the PSU (shouldn't be, as the external HD has its own power), the power button being weird (why would unplugging the drive affect that?), USB connections (again, why?), but it solved it. Weirder still is that after a couple of weeks, I forgot to unplug the drive before booting, and my PC was... fine? Just bizarre.

--------

bye
Sep 20, 2018
Weirder still is that after a couple of weeks, I forgot to unplug the drive before booting, and my PC was... fine? Just bizarre.
Yea PC trouble shooting is usually just an experience directed trial and error - there's no logic to it that I've discovered yet lol

• Eyes

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I actually had the exact same thing happening on a previous PC many years ago. These days when I debug a "no-boot" scenario unplugging everything that's not essential is one of the first things I try. (I also had the same thing happening before due to a faulty internal SATA drive, even though it had nothing to do with the boot process)

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Beat Hand of the King in Dead Cells for the first time, yay!
But I guess now the real game begins, as they say.
1 cell runs are still doable in a sense that they are similar to zero cell runs but enemies hit harder and have a bit more hp. From 2 cells forward is when things get "real". I managed to finish a 3 cell run once and I'm certain that's my limit, my old ass won't handle 4 cell runs.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
From everything I've observed in regards to Sony and PC gaming, they are partnering up more with Valve than with EGS. From sales marketing on social media, PS employees tweeting about PC version (pics from Steam charts), only Steam keys from key storefronts like GMG.

Despite a lot of people thinking that Sony is cozing up with EGS (that investement, which still has only to do with Unreal Engine), Sony doesn't really seem to care about EGS. It's like "put it on EGS and be done with it", GoW don't even use the EOS cheevos system, only developer cheevos (only seen in-game).

As someone who never got into Spelunky, so just how hard time will I have with two if I give it a go?
Hard, very hard. I have over 100 hours in the first game on Steam and find the sequel very hard.

I recommend to use a trainer for certain things to learn the game.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
DLDSR is cool, but I'm annoyed with how it's implemented. Needing to have the game output to a higher resolution breaks things in a lot of games. I'm pretty sure most games I've tried don't get properly "hooked into" and just render natively at the upscaling res, killing performance, and games that already use DLSS have broken for me just by having it enabled at all, not even from having the game at the upscale res.

Honestly, I don't get why it has to be done through DSR and picking a higher resolution in-game. It'd probably be much better if it was basically a post-process AA that uses the blackbox AI tech, and I don't get why it's not done like that since the current implementation, by definition of being meant to work with every game, shouldn't need things like motion vectors or other aspects that it would need to "hook" into the game for.

• Eyes

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Is 85c at 99% load normal/safe?

I guess it depends on the model of the GPU.
While it's probably "safe", my 3080 for example defaults to thermal throttle at around 83C, so depending on the card you can be loosing performance.

It was a problem when I got lucky and was able to get a 3xxx card. My old case was not designed to handle the amount of heat these things generate.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and QFNS

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
DLDSR is cool, but I'm annoyed with how it's implemented. Needing to have the game output to a higher resolution breaks things in a lot of games. I'm pretty sure most games I've tried don't get properly "hooked into" and just render natively at the upscaling res, killing performance, and games that already use DLSS have broken for me just by having it enabled at all, not even from having the game at the upscale res.

Honestly, I don't get why it has to be done through DSR and picking a higher resolution in-game. It'd probably be much better if it was basically a post-process AA that uses the blackbox AI tech, and I don't get why it's not done like that since the current implementation, by definition of being meant to work with every game, shouldn't need things like motion vectors or other aspects that it would need to "hook" into the game for.
So basically you want a general purpose DLAA (I would want that over DLDSR as well), but unfortunately DLAA has to be implemented for each game individually (at least currenly, no idea if a general purpose DLAA is possible) and is only supported by 3 games so far...

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
So basically you want a general purpose DLAA (I would want that over DLDSR as well), but unfortunately DLAA has to be implemented for each game individually (at least currenly, no idea if a general purpose DLAA is possible) and is only supported by 3 games so far...
I guess I am. I'm now looking back on the DLDSR announcement thing and realizing I'm a dunce who got tricked by the comparison and didn't understand how it worked. I thought it was like:

Render at native monitor res -> Upscale via AI -> Scale back down

Now I'm realizing it isn't doing that, it's rendering at the increased res and then downsampling with the AI for better results than the gaussian thing normal DSR uses. Though on that topic, I'd be curious to see how this AI can upsample games, even though I'm sure it'd look really weird and bad.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Well I'm stuck at the Genichiro fight in Sekiro. Every time I'm almost done with his third phase he does his dumbass lightning swipe which wipes all my health.
Jump, allow it to hit you and immediately press attack while you're in the air. Lightning reversal. You'll take some chip damage but not the full brunt of it, and like two or three reversals alone is enough to win the fight entirely. Good luck, skeleton.

1 cell runs are still doable in a sense that they are similar to zero cell runs but enemies hit harder and have a bit more hp. From 2 cells forward is when things get "real". I managed to finish a 3 cell run once and I'm certain that's my limit, my old ass won't handle 4 cell runs.
I'm still getting hit left and right, so that'll get real tough real quick. I've been using the freeze attack as my secondary for most of my runs, but I'm trying to ease off it because it seems like a bit of a crutch as I'm not really learning enemy patterns. Now I'm making an effort to use shields and parry more often, and it's been pretty difficult to get the timings down. I feel like I'm always a tad early or late.

Last edited:

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
From everything I've observed in regards to Sony and PC gaming, they are partnering up more with Valve than with EGS. From sales marketing on social media, PS employees tweeting about PC version (pics from Steam charts), only Steam keys from key storefronts like GMG.

Despite a lot of people thinking that Sony is cozing up with EGS (that investement, which still has only to do with Unreal Engine), Sony doesn't really seem to care about EGS. It's like "put it on EGS and be done with it", GoW don't even use the EOS cheevos system, only developer cheevos (only seen in-game).

Hard, very hard. I have over 100 hours in the first game on Steam and find the sequel very hard.

I recommend to use a trainer for certain things to learn the game.
I need evidence of the PS employee sharing stuff about Steam Charts or it didn't happen.

• Eyes

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
I'm realizing I can use DLDSR on my desktop to get fancy smooth AI downsampling there. That's... Shtyupid, and I love it.
Unfortunately, it doesn't have the option for running above 60 Hz, which is a shame. I can't go full stupid.

Lashley

One more thing...
I guess it depends on the model of the GPU.
While it's probably "safe", my 3080 for example defaults to thermal throttle at around 83C, so depending on the card you can be loosing performance.

It was a problem when I got lucky and was able to get a 3xxx card. My old case was not designed to handle the amount of heat these things generate.

Actually managed to shave 10c~ off with undervolting :D

Status
Not open for further replies.