Community MetaSteam | January 2024 - Let's get this year started!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Intel APU kills that thing. Even if it’s a good performer, has Intel laundered their dire GPU reputation enough to be competitive in this space?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Intel APU kills that thing. Even if it’s a good performer, has Intel laundered their dire GPU reputation enough to be competitive in this space?
I am really curious to see how it will perform at low TPDs, like 10W or even 6W, where the Steam Deck can still play a ton of older games or simple indie ones.

It is good to see Intel working with partners to make efficient (by their standards) APUs, ultimately, competition is a good thing. It will take them a quite a while to actually outcompete AMD, though.

Reactions: C-Dub

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019
Got an email from Humble:

A friendly heads-up that game keys for DOOM Eternal, which was part of your January 2023 Humble Choice monthly mix of games, are expiring January 31, 2024.
I got the same email but about Fallout 76 from the February 23 bundle. So another one to redeem before it's too late.

I really need to go through my account and mop up what keys are left, this stuff is making me paranoid even though I usually redeem immediately.

Reactions: Nabs

Jav

Question everything, learn nothing
Sep 17, 2019
Thank you again everyone that has voted! Think most of you have.:) Really really grateful. While it is officially the end today, I will count and make the thread during the weekend to have it ready on Sunday, so if someone want to vote before that, it would be ok.;)
I forgot 😭

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I picked up Pizza Tower again after dropping it the first time. No idea why it didn't click with me before, but it's really good.

I'm addicted to this track.

Just 4 weeks away!
I would love to know why the geniuses at Sega decided to release a new Yakuza and Persona within a week of each other. I'm skipping Reload for now simply because I won't have the time to play both.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Picked up Little Noah: Scion of Paradise during the Steam sale with all the DLC for around $8. So far, seems like if you threw Smash Bros Subspace Emissary and Dead Cells in a blender. Gives whimsical and comfy vibes ☺ with the music, art style, and characters. Played about an hour or so of it, and I need more time to give more of my thoughts on the game.

Also, working on a mod that unlocks the framerate cap, ultrawide support with some UI scaling fixes, and custom resolution patch cooking for it (the game only officially supports 720p and 1080p). The game's framelimiter (separate from the Unity one) is causing massive stuttering for me that doesn't seem to happen on my Steam Deck. Even after they patched in basic keyboard support, there's a few technical issues with the game. I will at least say that the game picks up on my DualSense and gives me the right prompts, so at least the controller support isn't extremely lacking on top of that.

Just need to do some testing to the game to find UI and gameplay related problems, and then track down what's causing those. That and finding the right function to patch with the game resolution. Interestingly, the game is using FixedUpdate for a lot of things, but I haven't noticed any physics differences when raising that from the 16ms that CyGames is using.
I played that game only on the Deck, so I didn't notice all those technical problems.
I enjoyed it, though it doesn't have a lot of depth to it.

I simply don't understand why some of these alternate PC handheld manufacturers put sharp corners on their products exactly where they are supposed to fit into your hands.

Do they not expect their handhelds to be held in hands?

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
I went through my wishlist and went from 2700 things down to 1600 things

it took me a day and a half doing it after dinner, I could like go through it again (I think i need to anyways) but there was so much stuff that was straight up abandonded by devs or like "Why did I wishlist this in the first place?" circling back to I wish steam had multiple wishlists since a lot of the point of having so many things "wishlisted" is just so i can remember it even exists not that I actually want to buy it
I pruned my Wishlist back for the first time in forever some months back. It was a smaller scale, maybe like 750 down to around 250. But it felt great to let go of loose ends, titles that I put on there years ago that I simply have no interest in anymore.

I could honestly do another pass to get even more focused on the here & now with realistic purchase options. Perhaps I'll revisit sometime soon.

In other news I've got all these awesome new gets from the Steam seal (Airport CEO, ATS DLC, etc.), but I'll I wanna do when I sit down is play Starfield.

It's funny I've heard Starfield (and BGS joints in general) described as the perfect Stoner games. It makes sense in a way as they're so easy to just slip into and head off into any of a dozen different directions based on whatever mood you're bringing to the table at that moment.

Guess that's always been a big draw for me. The sheer amount of choice on offer in any given moment where I never feel bottlenecked into any particular gameplay style or level of engagement. It's a wonderful feeling of freeform possibility every time I fire it up.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
This platinum game will now be gone

Also

Those physical games people are sometimes else.

This is a mobile game, I have not played it myself, but will some one that has played it tell me what it's like and if it "feels" like a mobile game, or do you think that it would world if it got released on consoles and PCs?

There is nothing wrong with liking and preferring physical games over digital games. But yet I feel like people say Physical is better than digital, just for the hell of it, without actually meaning it.

Anyway my main gripe is that a mobile only game and that physical would not have helped it.

It's just weird.

This is not a 1:1, but I can almost guarantee you that if Wario was to do a FGO is finally shutting down servers after 20+ years (or something crazy like that) that there would still be people that blindly say physical is better or something crazy like that.

In some cases I don't think some of those people even knew that the game existed at all.
_------------------

The whole vtuber thing is kinda weird, because at some point you have to give up the character, since in most cases you don't own it and it belongs to some big company.

For those that split up and did their own thing afterwards and made their own Vtuber, did they ever reach the same height again? Or was it a fraction of what it use to be? And did they truly do their own thing or did they just jump to someone else's umbrella?

Using the term "graduate" also seems pretty messed up as well. Hey we the giant company keep all the profits, and you can just screw off.

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
This platinum game will now be gone

Also

This is a mobile game, I have not played it myself, but will some one that has played it tell me what it's like and if it "feels" like a mobile game, or do you think that it would world if it got released on consoles and PCs?

There is nothing wrong with liking and preferring physical games over digital games. But yet I feel like people say Physical is better than digital, just for the hell of it, without actually meaning it.

Anyway my main gripe is that a mobile only game and that physical would not have helped it.

It's just weird.

This is not a 1:1, but I can almost guarantee you that if Wario was to do a FGO is finally shutting down servers after 20+ years (or something crazy like that) that there would still be people that blindly say physical is better or something crazy like that.

In some cases I don't think some of those people even knew that the game existed at all
I mean its playable on Mac with full mb/m and controller support so yeah, it would work on PC and Console. Its also an Apple Arcade game so it doesn’t have MTX. Not sure why they’re shuttering a singleplayer game with no mtx though.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I would love to know why the geniuses at Sega decided to release a new Yakuza and Persona within a week of each other. I'm skipping Reload for now simply because I won't have the time to play both.
Something something hitting correct fiscal numbers because arrow must point up.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I also started Minoria because I had so little to play already. But yeah, Rdein does solid Metroidvanias.

• Gib
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
That is 3rd game done this year. Started Little Nightmares 2 yesterday, and finished it today. Of course i played it on Deck XD As first game it is best described as disturbingly charming little puzzle platformer. I enjoyed it.

Next on the list is American Arcadia (yes of course on Deck) and from the first hour i think that i will like this one a lot. voice acting is great, music and atmosphere is amazing and gameplay is fun.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018

Another reason to dislike UE5 in my opinion. As much as i am graphics whore UE5 simply doesn't justify hardware demands for what we get on screen. And it basically doesn't scale down well after certain moment.

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Another reason to dislike UE5 in my opinion. As much as i am graphics whore UE5 simply doesn't justify hardware demands for what we get on screen. And it basically doesn't scale down well after certain moment.
:timinator:

• Toucan
Reactions: PC-tan

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Doom finished. I couldn't resist and started Sigil.

Romero's level design shit on Petersen's.
If you think Doom 1 Episode was bad, you best be ready for Doom II
But in Sandy's defense, it's not easy making so many maps in a few months

Reactions: Li Kao

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

Really don't want to be mean here, but have you actually watched the video, all the way to the end? The conclusion is very positive, and shows that all titles, except one, run quite nicely on the Steam Deck, with a 30 FPS cap.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Have you watched the video? The conclusion is very positive, and shows that all titles explored run quite nicely on the Steam Deck, with a 30 FPS cap.
Yes I watched it and I saw that Robocop and Immortals basically look like pixelart. Jousant is looking better due to artstyle and they only showed Talos 2 prolog area not more demanding and visually busy actual game.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yes I watched it and I saw that Robocop and Immortals basically look like pixelart. Jousant is looking better due to artstyle and they only showed Talos 2 prolog area not more demanding and visually busy actual game.
It should be pointed out here, that at the Decks' 7inch screen, it won't look nowhere near as bad, and if it's good enough for Digital Foundry, it's good enough for me.

Gelf

Apr 22, 2019

It's just weird.
The thing about pointing to physical media as being superior when a game gets delisted is it it ignores the fact that a great many titles just wouldn't exist if they needed to secure a print run and compete for shelf space. The problem here is that Apple Arcade is a shitty system for having no options for ownership not that we need a delivery system irrelvant to this game.

We need to push for better protection of digital purchases and encourage/force better preservation practices not pine for a bygone era.

Anyway if someone was really hardcore about preserving thier own purchases for future the best course of action wouldnt be physical it would be buying DRM free releases and then backing those files up in as many places as possible.

Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Doom Eternal runs great on Deck.
Tried Soul Calibur 6 and it defaulted to medium settings which didn't look good. Switched to high and it's still a locked 60fps.

Can't get enough of SoR4 on this thing, it's gorgeous.

If I knew I'd be getting a Deck I would've waited to play certain games lol. Played Jack Move a couple of months ago and that is a perfect Deck game.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Since some of you have been playing indie games for a long time.

I wanted to learn more about Recettear. So far what little I know about the game has mainly been the story of it, after it was picked up by some two man team publishing team to release the game outside of Japan. But I don't see too much information about the game prior that that. Just that it was released in Comiket.

As far as Comiket goes, I think that Touhou is still by the the most well known "indie" game that comes out of Comiket? (Correct me if my information is inaccurate) there are people that line up to by physical copies of the game, and one of the issue that has happened is that scalpers will go and buy the game and because of that real fans of the game won't get access to the game. That changed not that long ago when Zun, made it where if you missed out on getting a physical copy you could now buy the game on Steam. I think the physical copies even include Steam keys as well.

What I really want to know is if Doujin games were even that well known in Japan or other parts of the world. Or were they just very niche and only people that were actively looking into Doujin games was paying attention to them and not major publications. I'm curious as to if "hard core games" that were really into Japanese games would have even known about Recettear at all.

One of tbe main reasons as to why I'm curious about that is to learn more about what made the game, into the game that it was. Would things have been very different had the game remained a Japan only title?

Would this title, have had a chance on Xbox360,PS3 or the Wii?

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

I wanted to learn more about Recettear. So far what little I know about the game has mainly been the story of it, after it was picked up by some two man team publishing team to release the game outside of Japan. But I don't see too much information about the game prior that that. Just that it was released in Comiket.

As far as Comiket goes, I think that Touhou is still by the the most well known "indie" game that comes out of Comiket? (Correct me if my information is inaccurate) there are people that line up to by physical copies of the game, and one of the issue that has happened is that scalpers will go and buy the game and because of that real fans of the game won't get access to the game. That changed not that long ago when Zun, made it where if you missed out on getting a physical copy you could now buy the game on Steam. I think the physical copies even include Steam keys as well.

What I really want to know is if Doujin games were even that well known in Japan or other parts of the world. Or were they just very niche and only people that were actively looking into Doujin games was paying attention to them and not major publications. I'm curious as to if "hard core games" that were really into Japanese games would have even known about Recettear at all.

One of tbe main reasons as to why I'm curious about that is to learn more about what made the game, into the game that it was. Would things have been very different had the game remained a Japan only title?

What I know about that game is my boss at the time got obsessed with it so I looked into it and I thought it looked neat and so I bought it and then from that point it seems like every other game with a dungeon crawler/shop owner thing immediately started copying it and it was hilarious to me since it seemingly came out of nowhere to me. Also I find it funny how it's basically like pronounced like Racketeer so you're ripping people off any, I would imagine that was done on purpose but either way Lol

Pretty sure it's one of those it had to be steam(More specifically just PC and it's big audience) things, any other platform I don't think it would of took off nearly as well. Not to mention it was priced good too.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The Talos Principle II runs pretty well on Deck, with decent fidelity. Looks quite nice on the OLED screen with HDR. Obviously far from the best experience graphically, but I thought it was surprisingly good.
Talos 2 is kinda half-assed UE5 game. They use Lumen but it has major stability issues even on decent PC. It's more often than not simply broken. It uses RT Reflections in very limited way and still uses SS reflections. They removed Frame Generation saying that Nvidia drivers cause crashes and that they can't do anything until Nvidia fixes it (as far as I know it is only game that has those issues). They don't use RT for laser beams. So it is basically mish-mash of RT (Lumen) and old ways of doing things. That is probably why it is working better on Deck than other games.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
booted up my PC and for like 30 sec my monitor seemed go be going crazy until the 2nd monitor wasn't being detected by my pc anymore, the monitor connected to another PC works though.
Guess my 2080ti is kicking the bucket?

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
booted up my PC and for like 30 sec my monitor seemed go be going crazy until the 2nd monitor wasn't being detected by my pc anymore, the monitor connected to another PC works though.
Guess my 2080ti is kicking the bucket?
Funny that I had issues with GPU too today morning. Got this weird pixel artifact bug that has been happening few times a year. Driver cleanup, new drivers and reboot usually has fixed this for me. So far looks good again but let's see.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Hi Li Kao, hope you are doing well.
What am I missing ? Why are people reacting with laugh ?
In fact, I think each time I mentioned my dislike of Petersen, I got laughs, and I’m not sure I understand.

Same with your message, I suppose there is a meaning I’m missing.

People, be explicit, I’m stupid.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018

My first contact with Doujin games was because Cave Story, I think I found it through a forum because of the announcement of a fan translation. Years later when I started using Steam, Playism started publishing those games. Other way to get aware of the games were through video compilations showing the trailers.

Some years ago there a documentary about doujin games, you can watch it here.

Reactions: PC-tan

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Sigil done. The logical next step is Sigil II.
I'm scared, the original could be brutal. I'm not sure I want harder than that.

Excerpt from several moments in Sigil :
'Wat ? Fuck that noise, I'm running past as fast as possible !'

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Damn you Aaron D. - Im hooked on Airport CEO.

Its got some nice depth to it. I'm a sucker for these types of games. I keep re-starting due to getting to a certain point and realising i've not got enough space to expand further or not positioned my terminal in an optimum place. I've done the first stages of the tutorial about 5 times now.

Like it a lot, has a nice flow. Reminds me of Prison Architect a fair bit.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
I finished Afterimage! :sweaty-blob:
Fírst game of 2024 done and starting the year off with an absolute banger. I preemptively put it on #2 on my GOTY list since I didn't think I'd get it all done until the deadline, but I'm happy to say my feelings are the same even after finishing it - it holds up.
It's a massive, massive game. I'd put it up there with Hollow Knight in terms of size, but also quality. The story is fine, the world and lore are extremely interesting, it's a very pretty game with a lot of variety in its location and enemies. Traversal and combat are very good, exploration feels very rewarding, bosses are really well designed - at least if you're playing on the harder difficulty mode. It's way too easy on Normal imo, but really shines on Advanced. You're going to have to really learn the boss patterns and use all movement abilities the game gives you. It's great. I kinda regret not switching earlier but it is what it is.
Secondly, the translation could be better. I played it in German which is better than English but still has problems here and there. It's a real shame and pretty much the only negative I can think of.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.