Community MetaSteam | July 2020 - Blood on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Uh !

'...initial work towards mariko support has been performed with full support for mariko consoles (Switch v2 + Lite) being planned for this summer'

Uh !

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

This is an interesting read from a consumer perspective point of view, probably just half of the article because its aimed towards developers.
Things I noticed that made the first section of the article interesting were:

“I think that most people make only one purchase and never return again, so if the DLC isn't available when they buy the game, that sale is lost… I think that DLC has more value as a long tail extension than as a singular launch event e.g. DLC sales in week one after a DLC’s release.”
There's some truth behind those words. Its not exactly 100% accurate but I believe it works for the majority of videogames consumers. I mean, for instance season passes that takes 1 year to release after initial game releases are somehow initially lost sales. I as a consumer have got plenty of those waiting years to see a decent sale or discount after I have finished the main game not only once but maybe twice or more.

In the current videogames industry trend, there are too many good games being released frequently which makes "waiting for a sale or even waiting for the season pass to release" a burden, frequently, at least from my personal experience, By the time I can or want to get DLCs I might have 0 interest on the extra content due to the above reasons among many others that may be up to personal circumstances.

And then, there's also this case:
It’s all about increasing $ yield smartly for the ‘long tail’ of sales, and for post-launch players finding the game for the first time.
I underlined the last part of the sentence which is what I immediately identified myself with. For example, I bought Darkest Dungeon in the Summer sale and I had to read quite a bit about whether it was worth or not to purchase the major DLCs. Due to the nature of the game it was not recommended for a beginner.
This behaviour is explained later in the article, in which the author gives his personal opinion on which games paid DLCs are worth to invest as a developer.
Hint: Strategy, Simulator (Say Hi to Firaxis, Paradox and many more) Well known franchises for their paid DLC business model.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Oh lord, you mean I can do 4K/60 in 'quality mode' with my rig.
There is a catch, there must be a catch. Maybe I should buy an extinguisher :sweaty-blob:
DF even flat out recommends DLSS over native resolution + TAA.
DLSS is some black voodoo magic.

The last time I remember getting better visuals and better performance was, the actuall 3dfx vodoo 1. 😛

Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
So, on the 4K TV set, should I play Death Stranding
  • DLSS 4K/60
  • DLSS 1080/120 (mode that is not officially supported by the TV, but compatible)

Emphasis on 4K set ! My question is if playing at 1080p on 4K TV could be bad.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
So, on the 4K TV set, should I play Death Stranding
  • DLSS 4K/60
  • DLSS 1080/120 (mode that is not officially supported by the TV, but compatible)

Emphasis on 4K set ! My question is if playing at 1080p on 4K TV could be bad.
1080p on 4K TV will be blurry as fuck.

Reactions: Li Kao and ISee

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
So how bad is SAO Re Hollow Fragment ? Is it the first one to play chronologically ?
I haven't played it yet, but it seems to be something like a 6/10 game?

Seems like it's considered to be both the 1st and 2nd games in the series, it includes the content from the first game (PSP game, Sword Art Online Infinity Moment, an alternate story that starts at the end of the 1st part of the anime) and also a new story that wasn't part of the first game (Hollow Area).

After this, the release order is Lost Song -> Hollow Realization -> the spin-off Accel World vs SAO -> Fatal Bullet -> Alicization.

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, Death Stranding download on fiber should be nearly done !
I waited all day for this moment, I'm moderatly hyped (gimme me weird, gimme :blobeyes: ), so I will immediately... take a nap.

I think I haz a depression issue, fam :anguished-face:

• Love
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and ISee

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Another great work from Dictator
Please, check it out, image quality is STUNNING and it's a very interesting review of this PC port, also, great first part of the video hehe :cat-heart-blob:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Almost 10k in-game in DS and still 1h23min to go on me. Game has only been out for 30 min.

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
Let's try out Death Stranding with DLSS at 1440p:
Game: 170fps - 180fps

I think I should enable Vsync, lol.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
xinek

Check out this Cov. 25 run in Monster Run. A nice tactic used by the player. If you thought normal runs were hard, seeing him utilize the tools given to them is pretty encouraging XP

Note that the changes you see in this video go live this weekend for everyone.

Reactions: QFNS

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Dictator nice work on the Death Stranding article.
I was asked if I wanted to write about it for IGN, but since there isn't much to cover that you didn't already touch upon I don't see a reason to replicate that effort.

One thing I do wonder about is if you saw any amplification of moire/similar patterned artifacts (especially ones induced by high-frequency specular detail) in motion with performance DLSS. That was the only real drawback of DLSS that I noticed in my playthrough of Wolfenstein.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Does any still use DSR with their NVidia card? Call me crazy but I could swear I hardly hear talk of its use nowadays ^^;

Reactions: ISee

Dictator

MetaMember
Feb 17, 2019
Dictator nice work on the Death Stranding article.
I was asked if I wanted to write about it for IGN, but since there isn't much to cover that you didn't already touch upon I don't see a reaso nto replicate that effort.

One thing I do wonder about is if you saw any amplification of moire/similar patterned artifacts (especailly ones induced by high-frequency specular detail) in motion with performance DLSS. That was the only real drawback of DLSS that I noticed in my playthrough of Wolfenstein.
Thanks 😀 I would have loved to have seen your thoughts on it for IGN.
In this game I noticed moire pattern happening at 1080p going up to 4K on tiling detail surfaces, 1080p to 4K has it, but 1440p to 4K does not have it (and ends up having less moire or flicker than native, interestingly enough). Here is a shot for the zoom comparison on the EG website.

1080p -> 4K has it here on the jacket with that crazy tiling detail texture, while 1440p -> 4K does not.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I would have loved to have seen your thoughts on it.
In this game I noticed moire pattern happening at 1080p going up to 4K on tiling detail surfaces, 1080p to 4K has it, but 1440p to 4K does not have it (and ends up having less moire or flicker than native, interestingly enough). Here is a shot for the zoom comparison on the EG website.

1080p -> 4K has it here on the jacket with that crazy tiling detail texture, while 1440p -> 4K does not.
Yeah, that's probably the type of artifact I was thinking of (it's hard to be certain without motion).

I really feel like issues with patterns like that are impossible to circumvent once you reach some level of subsampling relative to the frequency of the detail. IMHO, in motion, blurring more rather than trying to preserve "detail" (which just manifests as noise) would be preferable in such cases,

Doing a really good analysis of DLSS seems like a huge task. IMHO you'd need something like multiple perfectly reproducible scenes stressing different aspects of the reconstruction, scripted camera movements, and lossless capturing of matching frame sequences.
And then you'd need to find a way to make it clear to people that you are focusing on the failure cases since those are the interesting ones, and that overall DLSS 2.0 is really quite amazing compared to all traditional alternatives (i.e. TAAU, checkerboarding, filter+upsample, ...).
Oh, and while you are at it, you also have to try and make people aware that temporal stability is just as important as "sharpness", and that the really impressive (and, to me, surprising thing about DLSS2 is that it often manages to combine both. (As long as you're not subsampling a high frequency pattern heavily)

I was always really skeptical of DLSS (I'm biased against everything that promises "magic through ANNs" for other reasons :p) but playing through 2 games now with the 2.0 version the quality/performance tradeoff might be the single most significant of any setting in basically a decade. But the failure modes still show that it's not quite magic. (But maybe future iterations will surprise me there as well)

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Does any still use DSR with their NVidia card? Call me crazy but I could swear I hardly hear talk of its use nowadays ^^;
I use it quite frequently, I just don't talk about it much since there's nothing new to talk about. It "just works" (except for needing desktop resolution changes in badly implemented games/engines :p).

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Is DLSS worth using playing on 1080p?
In Death Stranding it looks like "quality" DLSS looks better than their native TAA, so yes.
If you get more performance than you need that way something like 1440p DSR with quality DLSS would also be an option.

It's too bad for use cases like this that so far we never got to see the native resolution mode of DLSS (which they talked about back at its introduction).

Dekunator

Timmy Tencent owes me money
Apr 17, 2019
Assuming I have the funds, I can't wait to upgrade from my 6600k and 1070 hopefully by the end of this year. DLSS looks insane!

Reactions: Mor and ISee

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
Just got an email in Superhot Mind Control Delete final release is out early for backers of the original game

Reactions: Mor

FeedMeAStrayCat

When you see me again, it won't be me.
Sep 19, 2018
Pennsylvania
All that talk of gaming magazines has me feeling pretty nostalgic. I used to buy so many as a kid and teen.
EGM, EGM2, Game Players (and then Ultra Game Players, right? And maybe something else after), GamePro, GameFan, Next Generation, PC Accelerator (which I had completely forgotten about until I saw that post about it), Game Informer, Nintendo Power, PC Gamer, Tips and Tricks, etc. Then ones I would buy just a handful of throughout the years like Official Playstation Monthly, Official Xbox, etc. I'm positive there were a few more sprinkled in there, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.