Community MetaSteam | July 2020 - Blood on the Horizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Which is better, Far Cry 4 or Far Cry 5?
4 is the much better game in my opinion, but... I actually never finished it. Liked it well enough, but like all Ubi games after a certain period, it's full of bloat.

5 is an awful, awful game. The game is separated by regions, each controlled by a boss. Every time you make a certain amount of progress the game launches an unskippable "trippy" sequence at you, you get kidnapped, taken halfway across the map and have a scripted long ass escape sequence. It does this shit constantly. It also doesn't give a shit where exactly you are the moment you hit that threshold, you could be in the middle of another story mission, doing a challenge, etc. It will eat your progress, take over and force you to engage with this.

It got to the point that any time this was going to happen, I literally set my controller down and go do something else. You can skip cutscenes iirc, but this game has that thing where it throws 5 different cutscenes at you one after another, and the story is not good. Like, it's actually terrible even by Ubi standards. I would recommend any FC (2, 3, 4, Primal, even New Dawn) before 5.

That said, I did actually finish the game, just out of spite I guess. It looks gorgeous too, but I will rail against it any chance I have.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Decent bundle.

I use it quite frequently, I just don't talk about it much since there's nothing new to talk about. It "just works" (except for needing desktop resolution changes in badly implemented games/engines :p).
Ah cool, personally it would be my go to option for downsampling whenever I upgrade to a DSR compatible card.
For that matter, I am playing the Surge 1 and was thinking...turn ingame scaling to 0, turn off all AA options then use DSR for a smoother looking image. Curious how that'd look...

Reactions: didamangi

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Unfortunately no even with default setting.
Ah. Another one for the "once I've upgraded" list then :notlikethisblob:

Edit: have you fiddled with the FidelityFX upscaling thingo by the way? From what I heard in the DF video, that drops the resolution to .75 scale while doing some touching up. Perhaps that could help performance while balancing IQ.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Damn, Im just 25 min in, but I am really enjoying Death Stranding.

Game currently peaked at 32k players, but I think we need to wait until tommorrow at least for a more accurate count. Game is big and takes a lot of time to download, like RDR2.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Game currently peaked at 32k players, but I think we need to wait until tommorrow at least for a more accurate count. Game is big and takes a lot of time to download, like RDR2.
Yes, tomorrow it should be even more interesting as more people will have it ready to play, however, it could very well peak again in a few hours due to USA and Early hours of Asia but, we will see, I will play in 3-4 hours. :partyblob:

Reactions: ISee

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
A few hours in Asia is when people asleep lol.

Ah. Another one for the "once I've upgraded" list then :notlikethisblob:

Edit: have you fiddled with the FidelityFX upscaling thingo by the way? From what I heard in the DF video, that drops the resolution to .75 scale while doing some touching up. Perhaps that could help performance while balancing IQ.
I haven't tinker that much yet, I've only disabled motion blur atm.

• Disapproval
Reactions: Mor and ISee

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Anyone tried out Halo 3 yet? How's it working?

My friend and I finally worked through the co-op campaign crash we were having in Halo 2 and should get finishing that soon-ish.

Hopefully the co-op in 3 is more stable.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Yeah, I would be thrilled to get native basic resolution options + anti-aliasing options built in and achievements. For the 360 era trilogy just throw in achievements and the exclusive 360 DLC for Underworld.
Oh yeah, completely forgot about the xbox exclusive dlc, that would be a nice bonus.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Supermassive stings. I like their games, and now at least one of them will be trapped on a dead service with no hope of preservation. Meanwhile, playing a Harmonix game on the cloud is going to be fun. What they'll probably use is some sort of predictive algorithm where the game practically plays itself. The future!

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Supermassive probably needs the money given the absolute stinker Man of Medan was can't even blame them, actually i can, just don't put out such absurdly bad and bland games.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Anyone tried out Halo 3 yet? How's it working?

My friend and I finally worked through the co-op campaign crash we were having in Halo 2 and should get finishing that soon-ish.

Hopefully the co-op in 3 is more stable.
It plays great, had no problems in the first campaign mission solo. Audio seems to be also better than in Inside Build.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Some protips for those of you playing Death Stranding for the first time today.

-Auto arrange your cargo on your back all the time. Just make it a habit.
-Don't be afraid to think outside the box when you plot routes. Unlike most open world games this is one of those where if you see something far off in the distance....you can go in fact go there. At least for the most part. Don't wanna spoil you on anything but just keep it in mind.
-If you playing with controller and you have more than one controller...use the oldest one.
-Don't stress footwear until middle portion of the game. When it starts to matter it will matter.
-If you get caught by the scavengers or wtvr...just run your ass and don't look back. Especially if you have valuable cargo. There is really no fun way to deal with them on hard difficulties until you get good guns later in the game. At least that was my experience with it.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Death Stranding is really great so far, but the framerate is weird. Im "stuck" at about 75 framerate" and it doesn't change no matter how much I lower the graphic settings and resolution.

Edit: lol, disconnecting my PS4 controller made the game jump to 110 fps.
Edit 2: Connecting any controller while playing the game makes the framerate drop.

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Missed Thrustmaster (presumably) jumped on the MS Flight Simulator bandwagon with all new stuff.

The flight stick is clearly based on the T16000/FCS flight stick, it's just not combat flight geared with that Airbus replica style so it has less buttons on the stick. It kinda looks a bit better built. Hopefully they make a new version of that too, and the TWCS throttle, to match, but with additional and nicer buttons too this time. Or maybe they'll offer the same thing with different aircraft modules for additional buttons and hat switches or something, that looks like a nice feature.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im really enjoying my time with Death Stranding, it keeps growing on me. Really intrigued and interested in the story, the world is beautiful and Im actually really liking the gameplay and "walking" part of it. Currently only on chapter/episode 1 and from what Ive heard, the game really opens up in episode 3.

Wasn't really interested in the game and thought I would wait to get the game later, but Im really happy now I took the risk.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Reading some of the Ghosts of Tsushima reviews and looks like another very pretty open world game with decent gameplay but boring open world tasks/quests etc. The story seems kind of forgettable too but has its moments. One of those titles I am gonna hold off until I pick up a PS5 to play at higher frames. Along with Days Gone and TLOU2.

I hope Sony decides to put some of these games on PC when they start working on the PS5 enhancements. They would also save me a bunch of money as I wouldn't even bother picking up the PS5 until its under 300$ 😉

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So I was on the Rocket Arena beta and got the game for free, anyone wanna play?

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Hmm did NISA slip up here?
Spring 2021 for Cold Steel 4 for Switch and PC.

Did we know it was coming in Spring? last I checked it was "2021". Also interesting to note that puts the Switch release date up alongside the PC this time instead of a few months later.

• Eyes
Reactions: prudis

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
970 really shows its age on Death Stranding :suicide-blob:
Damn, the initial Cyberpunk delay (as well as my generally reduced interest in gaming this year) had kinda made me regret the timing of my GPU upgrade but hearing this makes me really glad to have my 1660 right now. If the 970 is struggling with the game, I can only imagine how poorly my 960 would have fared...

Yeah, only 2 hours in and I can already tell I'm going to love the hell out of this game. I can understand why it's divisive but the world is gorgeous, the music (so far) is really good and kinda soothing and the whole cargo balancing aspect of it sounded really novel and interesting to me. A nice and relaxing hiking simulator with a lesser emphasis on shootbang sounds pretty good to me these days.

And the plot is intriguing enough that I might actually get my hopes up that this will redeem Kojima for whatever the hell MGSV's story was supposed to be...

Reactions: Joe Spangle

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
So Rocket Arena has Origin backed into the game, just like the new Xbox Live on MS games.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Death Stranding definitely is really engrossing, at least starting off. Does look great at 4K, HDR, DLSS, high framerate. But now I am itching to make some serious cargo transfers.

Halo 3 feels amazing on PC & high framerate. I think it may be one of the latest (2007 to be clear) traditional FPS that really holds up.

Nzyme

Time to get Fit
Sep 19, 2018
Death Stranding definitely is really engrossing, at least starting off. Does look great at 4K, HDR, DLSS, high framerate. But now I am itching to make some serious cargo transfers.

Halo 3 feels amazing on PC & high framerate. I think it may be one of the latest (2007 to be clear) traditional FPS that really holds up.
Yeah, enjoying Death Stranding so far.
PC features may be limited in terms of graphical options, but DLSS 2.o is so damn good. It really gets great amazing image quality over the same resolution and clears up so many little AA issues or problems where details don't resolve so well.
All the controller features including motion control from PS4 and full Steam Input support plus all options for controller icon switching / icon styles for all PS, XB, Steam, Nintendo options is awesome.
And dumb fun from being able to output the baby via any audio device had us near tears putting it through my guitar amp setup.

Awesome port overall, and the game being better than I expected (at least to start) and in line with my Euro Truck wishes, makes this quite a good day!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I wouldn't read too much into DeStra numbers. It has a reputation for being a very niche game from a very niche director (yes I think Kojima is niche)

Reactions: Tomasety and PC-tan

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Played a bit of DS but my controller right stick started drifting. Not really started, it showed some signs while I played Persona 4G but it turned out to be really noticeable now. Guess I will put DS on hold and finish the fight instead while I wait for my new controller to be delivered. The irony.

Reactions: lashman

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Played a bit of DS but my controller right stick started drifting. Not really started, it showed some signs while I played Persona 4G but it turned out to be really noticeable now. Guess I will put DS on hold and finish the fight instead while I wait for my new controller to be delivered. The irony.
I think you can tweak it through Steam config by adding more deadzone to your controller's stick.

Reactions: Joe Spangle
Status
Not open for further replies.