Community MetaSteam | July 2023 - This one will turn you into a furry

Status
Not open for further replies.

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
I need an opinion.
I'm nearing the end of Doom Eternal's campaign (i think). Could have finished it a few days ago but the reality is that it feels exhausting to play it so I can only endure short session before burning out. When you use your movement abilities, weapons and gadgets just the right way it can be very cathartic and feel amazing but it's so hard and cumbersome to do that since everything is so overwhelming... Overall it has been fun but I still think 2016 is a better.

With that being said, should I get the Ancient Gods DLC, will I enjoy it?
First part is (was? it was nerfed since then, I think, not sure to what point) great as it's basically more of the endgame but even harder, second one dropped the difficulty quite a bit to the point where I found it a bit boring at times.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Doom Eternal DLC is more and harder Doom Eternal. Do with that what you will. But you should know if you want more of that or not.

• This!
Reactions: PhaZZe

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
good news, twitter is as good as dead:

:partyblob:
Tweetdeck was already pretty much dead thanks to Elmo's amazing idea for daily reads limits, that's just the nail in the coffin.

I liked twitter because of how global it was, being able to follow JP users, vtubers, anime news, games publishers and devs, big and small ones.

I just don't see all of these moving to mastodon, if there's any twitter alternative that has any shot at replicating this global reach that twitter had, I'm guessing it'll probably be the upcoming Meta's threads, especially since it'll use the same login as instagram, which is already faily popular worldwide.
It seems like it may be releasing soon, while it's not available yet, it just got an app page in the ios app store.

While I don't exactly like Meta, I guess they at least shouldn't be utterly insane at running a microblogging platform?

EDIT: Seems like it's releasing thursday, july 6th?

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I haven't been paying much attention at all to Baldurs Gate 3 over the years. I haven't done the early access. I watched some footage of it here n there but for the most part I am going in almost completely blind next month when it releases.

But I did read this latest community update. And reading some of the info they put out....

-Over 600 spells and sub spells
-2 million word script
-11 races and 31 subraces
-12 classes and 46 subclasses

Dev team more than 3 times the size that worked on DOS2. And also 6 year dev time vs 3 year for DOS2.

Another little note from the community update:
More on those new heights: Baldur’s Gate 3 has more cinematic dialogue than three times all three Lord of the Rings novels combined. It has 174 hours of cinematics, making it more than twice the length of every season of Game of Thrones combined.

Wtf this team is on drugs.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
yeah, they're off to a great start:

It's the same as what instagram already collects.
Personally I don't really care all that much about the data they collect, I'll just use whatever app that will have what I want to follow, be it threads, mastodon, or any other app that pops up that actually shows promise that it may get the global reach that twitter has.
Though I only intend to start using such app once it actually has the content I want to follow.

Last edited:

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Today I took a hatchet to my Steam Wishlist and went from 1000 down to 500. It’s a good start.

Been meaning to do it forever as I’ve been growing tired of seeing the same group of -90% titles that populate the top of my list every sale season. The ones I have lost interest in and always pass over. Then I went to work on genres I’m just not into these days, and so on with other criteria.

Feels good, man.

Now if I can sit down and take another pass and maybe cut that list in half I should be good to go, though that may be harder as so much of my remaining list has unreleased content.

In other news, holy hell am I enjoying Persona 5R. Styyyyle turned up to 11 built on a throwback framework that feels cozy-blanket nostalgic.

Felt the same way with P4G (crazy style, retro design architecture, modern QoL features [frames/res/loads/etc]).

It’s an intoxicating mix of old & new that feels super warm & fuzzy to dip into.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I really want to be more excited for baldurs gate 3 but it sounds more and more like baldurs gate themed Divinity 3

I can't afford it at launch anyways so it's a moot point but I'm curious how it's going to end up doing and be received

I think I would of been less annoyed if they had just said or called it Larian Studios Forgotten Realms Adventure game instead of Baldurs gate 3

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Small sale for me, partially just retail therapy-ing. Some small things, some horny thing, and finally biting the bullet on DQ Builders 2 because it is never going to go more on sale until I buy it, so you're welcome everyone else :p

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
The store that I will buy most parts from has a service where they build everything for you but I’m not sure if I should use it. I’m a nervious wreck when building computers but having it shipped already assembled adds so many variables that could turn out bad.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I have not, in fact, been waiting for this.
Don't think I'll return to Persona 3 anytime soon. The overall plot just wasn't super captivating, and the social link mechanic, as implemented there, did not impress me. Might revisit this after playing through 4 and 5, though.

Last edited:

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Today I took a hatchet to my Steam Wishlist and went from 1000 down to 500. It’s a good start.

Been meaning to do it forever as I’ve been growing tired of seeing the same group of -90% titles that populate the top of my list every sale season. The ones I have lost interest in and always pass over. Then I went to work on genres I’m just not into these days, and so on with other criteria.

Feels good, man.

Now if I can sit down and take another pass and maybe cut that list in half I should be good to go, though that may be harder as so much of my remaining list has unreleased content.

In other news, holy hell am I enjoying Persona 5R. Styyyyle turned up to 11 built on a throwback framework that feels cozy-blanket nostalgic.

Felt the same way with P4G (crazy style, retro design architecture, modern QoL features [frames/res/loads/etc]).

It’s an intoxicating mix of old & new that feels super warm & fuzzy to dip into.
I'm also going through Royal for the first time, still early in the game (first palace), but the game has been great so far. Very good as a game to play just before going to bed.

Some things I don't understand fully like the fusing Personas and I know I have to get certain characters to a certain level or else you miss out on a huge chunk of the game, so in that sense it has been a bit overwhelming with all the systems. Luckily I see there is a network feature that seems to give a bit of direction by letting you know what other players chose to do on the day.

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019
The store that I will buy most parts from has a service where they build everything for you but I’m not sure if I should use it. I’m a nervious wreck when building computers but having it shipped already assembled adds so many variables that could turn out bad.
Buy it twice, one assembled, one in parts to be assembled.
All bases covered.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Twitter's dead to me now, Tweetdeck was the only thing making it not utter shit.

I'll just stick to discord.
It's not a replacement for Twitter, and definitely rough around the edges, but maybe you can look into our Metacouncil Mastodon server? The web UI isn't terrible, and has a multi-column design going that I understand is not too different from Tweetdeck. As desktop app, I actually really like Sengi: GitHub - NicolasConstant/sengi: Mastodon & Pleroma Multi-account Desktop Client

• This!

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
  • Sad

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Oh my god, it's a thing of beauty. Absolutely adore the new castings. I was worried about Akihiko and, while his voice sounds the most different, it's still just really really good.

So, so excited for this.

One of the things that has been covered less is the character portraits look less like Soejima art than other modern Persona (including the original P3).

I figured that may be the case, but it looks like even though they're using his character designs, they're moving on from his art style very subtly. I quite like it, actually - it's different from P3 to P5 (and even P3-P5 look kind of different as Soejima's style evolved) but still a very high quality. This gives us an idea of what to expect visually from Persona 6 - and I'm happy.

Voice cast sounds alright. I think I heard that they are changing some if not all of them, but this sound more or less the way I remember them so good casting I guess.
The entire game has been recast. Good casting indeed!

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I personally don't think anything of value would be lost if Twitter vanished from the face of the earth tomorrow.

I'm actually a bit more concerned about Reddit shitting the bed, since -- even though it's also forgettable in the aggregate -- it actually has some subs which have meaningful discussions and good information. For some obscure topics, some of the best information comes from Reddit.

My big concern is that, with all this, more and more things will move to Discord. I don't really have anything against Discord for chatting, but it's a black hole for information, and that's absolutely terrible if any communities with actually valuable information were to move to it.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I personally don't think anything of value would be lost if Twitter vanished from the face of the earth tomorrow.

I'm actually a bit more concerned about Reddit shitting the bed, since -- even though it's also forgettable in the aggregate -- it actually has some subs which have meaningful discussions and good information. For some obscure topics, some of the best information comes from Reddit.

My big concern is that, with all this, more and more things will move to Discord. I don't really have anything against Discord for chatting, but it's a black hole for information, and that's absolutely terrible if any communities with actually valuable information were to move to it.
Given the recent changes at Discord, I wonder if they won't be making it all more accessible. The unique name thing is kinda pointless as it currently stands, with users only interacting with a few local communities. It's more like an IRC server with different rooms that do not talk to each other. It's hard to predict what crazy thing these tech executives will do, but I would not be surprised if Discord ends up looking a lot like Reddit, except with a stronger focus on chat.

• Blobxorcism

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I'm also going through Royal for the first time, still early in the game (first palace), but the game has been great so far. Very good as a game to play just before going to bed.

Some things I don't understand fully like the fusing Personas and I know I have to get certain characters to a certain level or else you miss out on a huge chunk of the game, so in that sense it has been a bit overwhelming with all the systems. Luckily I see there is a network feature that seems to give a bit of direction by letting you know what other players chose to do on the day.
Please look at a guide for the relationships needed for the new content. It’s a long game, you don’t want to be blue balled at 100+ hours.

And speaking of 100+ hours and long game, I never understood the hate some players seemed to have for the length. It‘s Persona, you like it, have a ton. And yet here we are. I’m maybe at the last dungeon of the base game and I can’t tolerate playing it right now.

Reactions: Prodigy

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021

I don’t think discord is an alternative to twitter, is another concept. Discord could be great as an alternative to devs costumer service forums but no to know your favorite artist preference, their new works or interact with them. The good thing about twitter is you build your own timeline with people, artists, companies you like.
Always amazes me when people complains about twitter other people, never had this issue, I mean usually is you follow the wrong people. If I’m not wrong was ZKenir he said he wanted to have it all in one place, that’s exactly my opinion. From more than 830 people/companies I follow, more than 700 are japaneseactresses, models, cosplayers, artists, none of them have discord or the ones who tried reddit are banned xD.
The most alike platform was tumblr but they shot themselves in the foot when changed ToS and now nobody remember that platfor.
Imo the alternative to twitter has yet to be born.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Given the recent changes at Discord, I wonder if they won't be making it all more accessible. The unique name thing is kinda pointless as it currently stands, with users only interacting with a few local communities. It's more like an IRC server with different rooms that do not talk to each other. It's hard to predict what crazy thing these tech executives will do, but I would not be surprised if Discord ends up looking a lot like Reddit, except with a stronger focus on chat.
Sounds horrible.

Reddit is an invaluable resource for tutorials/how-tos that simply wouldn't work in a chat room format, especially one that pretty much requires an app to access and is not very searchable via search engines.

What this whole Reddit fiasco needs to teach us is that we shouldn't be consolidating knowledge like this into centralised communities run by private companies.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The fact the game was so long and I had to closely follow a guide to not miss out on stuff burnt me the fuck out on Persona
I have mentioned it a few times already, but I will say it again:

The best experience of a Persona game for me was when I just "lived" inside the moment, inside the game, following no guide, not caring about checklisting social links, stats, etc. Just doing whatever. Following a guide minimizes or just obliterates this feeling.

If Persona games weren't 60-150 hour games, I would just say that you should do it first and follow a guide a second time, but many people don't have the time for that.
But that isn't a critique on the length of the game, rather about the time restrictions put upon the playstyle, where you NEED a walkthrough FOR EVERY DAY if you want to make the most out of the game.

Time constraints can be gameplay enhancing, like in the older Atelier games, but in Persona, it just makes everything hectic and chaotic.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I guess that could be said about anything if you personally don't use such app, for me I wouldn't feel like I lost much if reddit vanished, since I don't really use it.

For me twitter (tweetdeck in particular) was really useful to both keep in touch with acquaintances, and for access to quick news about stuff that I like (games, vtubers and anime) all in one place.

Reactions: Censored

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
When I say you should follow a guide for P5R to unlock the added content, it's as simple as prioritizing 3 people at max. If you really want to be super efficient you can check the best dialogs for these 3 people on one of the myriad internet guides.

That's all. You absolutely don't want to follow any day by day guide.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I have mentioned it a few times already, but I will say it again:

The best experience of a Persona game for me was when I just "lived" inside the moment, inside the game, following no guide, not caring about checklisting social links, stats, etc. Just doing whatever. Following a guide minimizes or just obliterates this feeling.

If Persona games weren't 60-150 hour games, I would just say that you should do it first and follow a guide a second time, but many people don't have the time for that.
But that isn't a critique on the length of the game, rather about the time restrictions put upon the playstyle, where you NEED a walkthrough FOR EVERY DAY if you want to make the most out of the game.

Time constraints can be gameplay enhancing, like in the older Atelier games, but in Persona, it just makes everything hectic and chaotic.
I agree with all of what you're saying here, except that I would, in fact, critique the length of the games. They are missing a lot of convenience options that would help avoid repetitive tasks and meaningless time loss, even if one were to assume that all the content cannot be trimmed a bit without losing anything.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

The only character that is absolutely required to max out to get the new content in Royal is your school counselor, Takuto Maruki. You must have him at rank 9 by November 17. Everything else is optional, but there are some characters you will want to focus on as they have powerful abilities. The confidants with the best abilities are Temperance, Star, Moon, and Wheel of Fortune. Justice and Faith might also be priorities as they bring new story content, but aren't required to see the true ending.

I think it's best to accept you will almost certainly not see everything in your playthrough and to simply go through it on your own terms.

If Twitter goes under, I will miss instant breaking news and the fan art accounts I followed. Otherwise the site has degraded into a glorified Truth Social since Musk took over.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
When I say you should follow a guide for P5R to unlock the added content, it's as simple as prioritizing 3 people at max. If you really want to be super efficient you can check the best dialogs for these 3 people on one of the myriad internet guides.

That's all. You absolutely don't want to follow any day by day guide.
This is the way to do it if you want to unlock specific endings.

Following a day-by-day guide in a Persona game is antithetical to the experience. These aren't games meant to be min-maxed.

That said, if you do one single playthrough of each "modern" Persona game you should aim to just enjoy what's there rather than feeling some weird urge to experience all the "content", because the first (and possibly only) playthrough should be about the vibes, the aesthetics, and the journey from the start of the in-game year to the end.

I think if you're obsessed with unlocking everything in one playthrough, especially your first, you're missing what makes the games special.

In real life we can't do everything we want to do given the time constraints of school, jobs, and unplanned events, and a Persona game is designed to be a lot like that.

And in the end, I don't see building up your social stats and S.Links as any different than having to choose stats for your character in an RPG, and if you were able to max out every stat for your build you'd be horribly overpowered.

I don't like to say "you're playing it wrong" because everyone enjoys a game in their own way, but I think if you go into a Persona game for the first time with the mindset that you need to unlock everything, I think you're actually missing more than you're getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.