Community MetaSteam | July 2023 - This one will turn you into a furry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
According to the article where the playtime was revealed, a normal playthrough is 75-100 hours. That 200 hour figure is for someone who does everything.

Reactions: yuraya and lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
they already have - mastodon has been around for 7 years now :)
I wouldn't consider mastodon an alternative to twitter, but something else, a platform with a different purpose than twitter.
For me at least it's not a good alternative, because who and what I follow on twitter just isn't on mastodon.

but alternatives will pop up.
Apparently Meta is working on an alternative, rumors that it'll be called "threads" and that it'll use the instagram login system?
But, if it'll be any good and if it'll gain any traction remains to be seen.

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: lashman

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Aren't RPGs supposed to be long? I have near 100h in most of them.
Tons of games have mountains of padding and/or bad pacing when they reach the 100h+ mark (and I'd say even less than that is too much).
The first Baldur's Gate, you could realistically beat in under 40h without skipping much, probably around 50 something hours for a complete run.
Second one was longer, and it seems the third will be yet even longer.

I wouldn't be too worried, but it is made by Larian, and Divinity 2: OS was definitely far, far longer than it needed to be, with progression (that was horrible because of its MMO-like nature of not offering unique items but instead +6457 health and +4573 damage on items... bought from merchants rather than rewards and secrets) and new options available to the player becoming pretty much non existent after the second area, and even then, you'd see 95% of what the game had to offer in the first one, then grind simple quests for more and more stats.
When everyone and everything you do reaches thousands of very artificial numbers, it get more than dull and completely negates the point of being an RPG.

But it's Baldur's Gate, and it doesn't work with this MMO progression, so that should not be the case. I hope.

• This!
Reactions: Dandy and Le Pertti

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Aren't RPGs supposed to be long? I have near 100h in most of them.
Most should be 40+ hours at least. It works for games that are trying different things like alpha protocol or disco elysium but most RPGs try to convey a sense that you're on some grand sprawling journey across a country (sometimes a whole planet) and it's hard to do that and also flesh out characters and party members in less time than that. Some may try to counter that with SNES rpgs and I'd say go back and replay those, the level of worldbuilding they have pales in comparison to ps1 rpgs and beyond where game length also shot way up compared to the ~20 hours they were back in the SNES days. That's not a coincidence. You need time to pull these things off.

From a gameplay perspective it's also hard to have a good sense of progression in both gear and character power in shorter time frames. Think of the 2 games mentioned above- AP has infamously terrible gameplay and disco doesn't even have combat so they don't have to worry too much about those things at all. It can work if your RPG is trying something really different, but most don't deviate from the grand epic journey thing.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Anotherf fine excuse I have is that I own every FF game except for VII Remake and VII Reunion, but have only finished VI and VII, so I have a lot to still play. :p
Play IX. It's supposed to be getting a remake but who knows when that will happen. And the game is so damn charming that I doubt you'll regret it. Now that I think about it, capturing that game's atmosphere and charm in a modern remake feels like an almost impossible task. It's really special.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
If a game is good, I don't mind playing it for 200 hours.
It's in line with the DOS games and they never overstayed their welcome for me. Hell, DOS2 is so unbelievably good that even after all that time I was sad it was over.
That being said, a game needs to be truly special to get such a time investment from me.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Just put it in the back of your mind and finish it within 40 years like I did for Baldur's Gate 1 and am currently working on Baldur's Gate 2.
‘Hey happy new year 2067 folks! Still pushing through BG3, almost halfway there. I’m positive this year we will finally see Bloodborne on Steam, we’ve seen great releases like Kingdom Hearts 1 even if it costed 7000 food credits’

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
And that's Mass Effect 3 done (i finished almost all side missions and fully explored like 80-90% of the systems, i ended up with close to 8000 War assets). I finished all DLCs except Citadel (i know i know it's best DLC, i will finish it). It was ok game but for me both ME2 and ME3 are not as good as ME1. Mainly because ME1 had that mystery that was surrounding the story while ME2 and ME3 we more-less just building upon ME1 story and not throwing you that many twists and turns along the way. Endings are not as bad as people were screaming about. I picked Blue (Control) ending because to me it made the most sense. I mean entire Legion story arc from ME2 and ME3 (and EDI from ME3) is there to tell you not to pick Red ending.

All in all it is ok space opera trilogy and i would like to see where they will go with the next instalment.

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Steam client doesn't allow me to have more than one game in the shopping cart.
Good guy, Valve !
It bothers me more that I can't have more than one card on file. I use changing digital cards from my bank, and every time it's a toss up on if I have to wait for validation, when I'm going to be charged, and an extra dollar validation fee that someone is supposed to refund me (either my bank or Valve) but sometimes neither does.

Having to go through paypal is such of a hassle.

Reactions: Li Kao

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Just put it in the back of your mind and finish it within 40 years like I did for Baldur's Gate 1 and am currently working on Baldur's Gate 2.
Clearing my backlog is a 40 year plan, I'm not gonna start with individual games as well 😁

Are BG 1 and 2 still enjoyable nowadays?

• Toucan
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
There are tons of single player games that you can play for hundreds or thousands of hours

Factorio
Rimworld
Minecraft
Aurora 4X
Any 4X Strategy game
Farming Sim
Stardew Valley
Truck Sim
Battletech
Mount and Blade
X3/4
XCOM
Total War
and so many more
None of them are of my liking so to each own I guess.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I want to buy on the sale but I need to get through some bills first and then see what I can afford.

• Clean Seal
Reactions: lashman

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Clearing my backlog is a 40 year plan, I'm not gonna start with individual games as well 😁

Are BG 1 and 2 still enjoyable nowadays?
I had too much ADHD to enjoy it when it was new, I greatly enjoyed BG1 in 2021-ish. I think that'll depend on the individual a bit... I also enjoyed what I've played of the Divinity games (old and new), and many of the CRPGs since, so I'm not a CRPG traditionalist exactly. Finished Neverwinter Nights, KOTOR, and some other CRPGs when they were new.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I bought these so far

McPixel 3 | Brotato | Wasteland Remastered | Broken Sword 4 - the Angel of Death | Broken Sword 5 - the Serpent's Curse | Grow Up | Far Cry® Primal | Rayman® Origins | Rayman Raving Rabbids™

I searched for anything under 10€ and then looked for deep discounts, "complete your collection" stuff etc

I had a look at my wishlist as well but nothing there is at a discount where I'd be really tempted. I am however more tempted to buy a bunch of upcoming games – BG3, the Metal Gear collection, Lies of P, Starfield... you know, all these expensive ones :blobxorcism: so far i have been steadfast, tho.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Guess my SteamDeck will be my main gaming rig for the upcoming months. It seems that my PC did not survive moving to a new place. CPU and GPU fan spin up once but after that it wont even make it to a UEFI post.

Not sure what is broken, one of the PCIE slots stopped working a couple of months ago, but this is something new. Already did the reseat everything, reset cmos, start PC with only minimal hardware but no dice.

The CPU (Xeon v3) was getting a bit weak for virtualization workloads and gaming but it has served me well through the Covid years. So...

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Just beat MW2 (2022) Campaign on Veteran. It was fun! Great mission designs and a helluva romp all the way through. HOWEVER!! What a buggy mess!! I cannot tell you how many times I crashed, had texture bugs, or audio would get real fuzzy/quality drop... Also MW2019 had RTX, this one does not which is a step backwards? It does have DLSS though, and it's a damn fine looking game. (But MW2019 looked better imo probably cuz Ray-traced lighting.)

I'm a little disappointed with the bugs/tech issues considering MW2019 was completely bug free by comparison for me... :thinking-face: I really wonder how they slid backwards on this stuff...

Uhm, anyway that's that. Now I'll keep it around as my multiplayer boredom relief. I haven't had any bugs in MP at least.

It's

NEW

BUILD

WEEK

:gunblob:

Let's goooooo! Better post pics when you're done!

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
It looks like GamersGate did a blanket 63% off on everything Wayforward. I'd hop on that if I were really interested in it. They just released a performance patch that made the gameplay much smoother.
Interesting! I have some older WayForward games on my wishlist that don't go on sale anymore. Could they be discounted there too? :thinking-face:

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
Interesting! I have some older WayForward games on my wishlist that don't go on sale anymore. Could they be discounted there too? :thinking-face:

Maybe not a total blanket, but quite a few games are 63% off. Some are closer to 50%. $15 seems like a steal for RCG2 at this point.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019

Maybe not a total blanket, but quite a few games are 63% off. Some are closer to 50%. $15 seems like a steal for RCG2 at this point.
Damn you're right. I might have to get a few more at this rate! Already bit on River City Girls 2. Was planning on waiting for quite a while before getting it but I couldn't resist at that discount. I finished the first one in local co-op with my son and we had a blast. He loved it even though he was going through a phase of "Ew 2D games" :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if Spidersaurs is worth it at 55% off :thinking-face:

Reactions: Nabs
Status
Not open for further replies.