Community MetaSteam | July 2024 - Summer arrived to Dawntrail

Status
Not open for further replies.

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Yeah, that strategy reads the same as all the hit articles against valve that the Press was being spoonfed by epic back when their store released: any semblance with reality is a coincidence.

Thankfully Timmy doesn't have a magical reality-distorting field like Jobs.

Regarding Apple and Google's stores, they are monopolies and should be treated as such, maybe one day.
I do wonder when Tim will go after Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Decided to replay Enslaved as a palette cleanser between all the RPGs.
I've always liked the art direction in this game and was curious to see how it looks on the Deck Oled. It actually looks nice.

Funny how on the day I finished Jeanne D'Arc Sony announced it as a PS+ classic. I'm glad more people will get to play it, had such a blast revisiting it, it's a sublime srpg.
SRPG's used to be able to tell great stories while still dedicating 90% of their runtime to the battles. Now you have stuff like Fire Emblem 3 Houses and Marvel's Midnight Suns putting all this fluff between battles and it annoys the hell out of me.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
SRPG's used to be able to tell great stories while still dedicating 90% of their runtime to the battles. Now you have stuff like Fire Emblem 3 Houses and Marvel's Midnight Suns putting all this fluff between battles and it annoys the hell out of me.
Probably the reason why I still haven't played Three Houses, although it seems to have an incredible story.

I also love the combat of Midnight Suns, but I dropped the game at one point because the social sessions are too long. The writing is fine but there are so many things to go through in-between battle. Still haven't gone back to finish the game.

Reactions: Dragon1893 and QFNS

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Probably the reason why I still haven't played Three Houses, although it seems to have an incredible story.

I also love the combat of Midnight Suns, but I dropped the game at one point because the social sessions are too long. The writing is fine but there are so many things to go through in-between battle. Still haven't gone back to finish the game.
I powered through Midnight Suns and even as a fan of the in between segments it got to be too much. Three Houses has a similar problem but ultimately it has LESS (somehow) to do between battles and is better for it.

A case of the devs put way too much behind the out of combat stuff that it overwhelmed the (IMO pretty great) combat.

Reactions: Cacher

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
If they add record to RAM option, I'll be enabling it all the time.
Unless you need the background recording feature, you can also just use it in "record now" mode.

I think the worries about recording to SSDs are a bit overblown. I saw someone do the math for 1TB SSDs, and you'd pretty much need to play for like a decade or two straight (or on that level) for a 1 hour background recording to do any damage to a modern SSD. Given how cheap SSDs have gotten, I think it's fine to treat them as just "infinite" storage and stop thinking about it. You should back up any data that is important in an external location anyway, and have fail safes there too.

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Unless you need the background recording feature, you can also just use it in "record now" mode.
Yeah, it's for background recording. Since my 32gb of ram is mostly unused while gaming, would be rad to have a replay buffer on all the time with the steam overlay..

Speaking of SSD/Nvme, they're 50% more expensive now in my region than a year ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Speaking of SSD/Nvme, they're 50% more expensive now in my region than a year ago.
I just checked, and you are right, they have gotten more expensive since about 2023. I'm not seeing 50%, more like 30%, but that's within the normal regional differences. I think the overall trend for SSD prices over like a decade is still positive, but I suppose the strong inflation over the last years has driven prices up for just about everything.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I have the gameplay recording enabled but I haven't actually clipped anything yet. Nothing "exciting" happening in the games I've been playing. :D

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
Can't believe that I have forgotten to open a new thread on Sunday as I have been doing this for... 2 years I think? Apologies.

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Found this gem to replace GameSave Manager, which was very slow for me.

It's very fast. Useful for non steam games or those steam games without steam cloud support.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Found this gem to replace GameSave Manager, which was very slow for me.

It's very fast. Useful for non steam games or those steam games without steam cloud support.
Nice tool, trying it now. I haven't used GameSave Manager in a long time since I was able to backup the save files to my NAS drive for some reason

Do you know if it can delete save files as well?

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Jackbox unifying all their games under the megapicker is actually awesome. They've needed this for a long time.

• This!
Reactions: Lashley and lashman

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Warhorse Studio is going to give Kingdom Come 2 free to their Kickstarter backers who had backed at the tier that offered them 'Act 2' of the game at the time. Even though this is a full sequel, they feel obligated to the people who supported them when they were starting out.

Fucking fantastic gesture (y)

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I wonder if Concord will live or die? Some people that were skeptical before seem to be enjoying it? And you also have other people clowning on the game.
This type of game will be all about post launch support. I haven't played Helldivers 2 but from what I remember the support was good.

With this tho they are gonna have to fix and balance all the issues out on the fly. If its good people will play it but that price tag will probably prevent it from ever being big. They'll need some luck too and hope some big streamers jump on board. Not much else happening next month so its always a possibility the game blows up like Helldivers.

Reactions: PC-tan

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Useful for non steam games or those steam games without steam cloud support.
Nice find.

I'm already doing a nightly backup of Steam's userdata folder and non-Steam games, but I'll give this a go.

One thing I kind of neglected is emulator saves, so this might be the answer to that as well.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
As I slowly trudge my way through Dawntrail I continue to ask how this team got a reputation for great writing when their last 3 projects (this, ff16 and endwalker) have had PAINFULLY bad writing. Without spoiling anything I'll give an example I came across today

Character 1 speaking to a bad guy: You should make peace with the protagonist

bad guy: No I hate them and if you ask me this again I'll kill your family

character 1 to the protagonist like 5 minutes later: Soooo you should try to make peace with the bad guy

Were they dropped on their head? How do you not understand who you're dealing with after that first conversation? The expansion is full of annoying writing like this as well as incredibly one note characters who say the same thing over and over just like how FF16 beats you over the head for 20 hours about how bad slavery is. The game still has the rambling for too long issue most CBU3 games have too. They're like mihoyo on that level they don't even try to improve.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.