Community MetaSteam | June 2019 - Microsoft does what Epican't

Status
Not open for further replies.

undu

Mar 17, 2019
Every single day since the last Steam beta update, Steam downloads the following:

Why these 5 over-and-over?
Those are pre-compiled GPU shaders. They're downloaded so your computer doesn't have to compile them while the game is running, which may cause very jittery fps.

(the 0-byte updates is a recurring bug in steam)

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018

Free game.
Edit: Just skimmed through the thread and it was the very first post. LMAO, you guys on point.
It's not terrible. Just gotta change one controller setting (inverted right stick) and it's cool.

Kuro

"Oh yeah? Aren't you gonna punish me?"
Dec 22, 2018
Shader pre-caching content thing is happening to me too, kinda weird but oh well.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Happy to announce that our Steam page is going up sometime around next week, we’re just about to finish some exclusive media and additional descriptions. It’s been quite sometime since we’ve mentioned it but it’s really moving along, we hope to interact with all of you there soon. It will be set to “Coming Soon”, this is not a launch announcement just yet.

Last edited:

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Bought World in Conflict and M&M 6-pack from GOG.

Wondering if I shoudl get any of the Anno games, but don't know if it's needed as I already own 1402 (Dawn of Discovery), 2070 and 1800.

Also, what's the best Settlers game? 2 Gold, 2 10th anniversary (3d) 3, or 4?

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Bought Dicey Dungeons on Itch. First time ever that a site charges VAT for me.

Not that bad but unusual. Will never understand why Americans show their prices before tax.
Because america is an unapologetically capitalist country driven by overt consumerism and generating capital transactions is easier by showing lower prices than what the transaction will actually require.

Reactions: Eferis and lashman
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Because america is an unapologetically capitalist country driven by overt consumerism and generating capital transactions is easier by showing lower prices than what the transaction will actually require.
also why everything is $x.99

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Anybody play Frostpunk?

I have a 50% off coupon and was wondering how it was
Amazing. One of my fav games of last year. The game theme is so rich, the gameplay is interesting and different, the graphics first rate...

Also why did my web browser load this thread before the comments where you got it? :p

Reactions: Stevey

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Kao 2 is a 8~9 out of 10 game for me. Like a lot of platformers have irritating stuff or sections and Kao has those, but they're not enraging and just has me chuckle, shrug and repreat said section I messed up in.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Free game.
Edit: Just skimmed through the thread and it was the very first post. LMAO, you guys on point.
Wasn't someone posting about this last month and how it made no sense that they did the sequel first?

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
MetaSteam!

Its June already.

E3 extravaganza week upon us soon

Refn is gonna bless us with Too Old to Die Young

And then Steam summer sale to end the month

Potential to be the best and worst June of all time. Gonna be a great :p

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Wasn't someone posting about this last month and how it made no sense that they did the sequel first?
From what I've gathered-
The first game might be harder to port or not be well liked enough to warrant a re-release, at least for the time being.
The 2nd game is more recognized and well received so they released it first.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
If you guys have been sleeping on Thea: The Awakening, correct that NOW!

I've played about 10 hours across 2 days now, and the game is just lovely!
Very interesting eastern European mythology which reminds me a lot of the Witcher games.
The whole background story that you are survivors of the apocalypse and have pretty much no idea what actually happened is really interesting and provides a good reason to explore the world.

The gameplay is a mix of 4X (with a single settlement), choose-your-own-adventure, survival, and card game.
Weird mix but it just works.

The card game that you solve most conflicts (violent or otherwise) with takes a while to learn, but when you do it works really well.

This is a 4X survival adventure where your characters actually are all named (except the weird cabbage-patch-appearing children) and you actually get a feel for your adventurers' progress and care about what happens to them.

The fact that you also only have one settlement makes you care a lot more about it.

I'm over 120 turns in and I have no clue how far along the main quest I am, but it is engrossing!

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Has that ever happened with any Steam game ever?

Hm. I wonder what game to focus on next. I've kinda reached a state again where I have a bunch of games started, but none of them are really a priority and I'm kind of indecisive :thinking-face:
Guess that's a sign I shoul take a break and read some mango/watch some Kamen Rider until I'm in the mood for something again.
Yeah that's why I always stick to one game at a time, and occasionally I'd play maybe two games at most. With my attention span I'd never finish another game in my life If I started juggling multiple games at a time :LOL:

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
Surely the whole Minecraft thing is a misunderstanding? I mean out of tens of delisted games on Steam, including previous Telltale games, why would these games vanish from users libraries?

Reactions: MJunioR
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Surely the whole Minecraft thing is a misunderstanding? I mean out of tens of delisted games on Steam, including previous Telltale games, why would these games vanish from users libraries?
must be, yeah

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
There's only one thing I'm interested in about this show: will anyone actually dare to boo when Epic is using the word "exclusive"? 😅
doubt it ... i'm pretty sure the first 10 rows will be "influencers" and other employees ... so everyone actually unhappy about that stuff will be waaaaay in the back

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Time to post some impressions!

-Finished Cat Quest.
It's a cute RPG, the writing is a lot of fun, and I really dig the overworld map aesthetic as play field.
Combat is fast and snappy, but... it has little more than one basic combo and a few simple spells to spam. That wouldn't be such a problem since the game is quite short but...
... the dungeon design is awful, with only two tilesets (and there's loads of dungeons), the quests are very shallow and completely guided from start to finish, it feels very, very repetitive. Loot is also flat upgrades of existing items, despite having a lot of different skins, they all feel way too samey. It just reeks of its mobile origins...

Got it for 2 bucks though, so that's ok, but otherwise the 12.99 price is hardly justified.

-Tried Kao the Kangaroo 2.
Nice little game, but I find the controls pretty weird, it's quite fast, except to turn around. Doesn't feel too good. That and the forced inverted camera, let me change it damn it.

-Played... way too much of Steamworld Quest.
It's... actually great?
I was a bit worried about the 2D level design, and yeah, it's not the best exploration that can be found in the genre. But it's not annoying and there's bobbles here and there to find. Plus it's pretty.
Otherwise the combat is really, really good. Plenty of combos to be found, both with single characters and groups, I could see myself playing another run with a completely different team later, always a good sign.
Even better than I expected.

Now I want a Baten Kaitos collection. :steam_cleanseal:

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Still gonna watch it so I know which games I can delete from my wishlist and which one's to add.

Also Day9 is great and Frankie is such a cutie pie
yeah, i'll probably watch it too ... as much as i know i'll hate it :p

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019

Wondering if I shoudl get any of the Anno games, but don't know if it's needed as I already own 1402 (Dawn of Discovery), 2070 and 1800.

Funnily enough I went on a binge shopping spree yesterday for these two series! I bought all the Anno games on GOG since they're on a good discount, except for Dawn of Discovery since I have that one on Steam. I loved what little I played of Anno 1800 on Steam but I decided to play the older ones until 1800 becomes content complete, I also grabbed the complete Settlers collection on Uplay since it is also currently on sale (50%).

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

I had the pleasure of fan-translating The Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Ed, great game. A must, in my opinion, closely followed by S4. Never played the first nor Settlers 7, though.

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
100% so. It's probably just a standard response from Telltale to cover their asses. Instead of confirming how each store handles the delisting, they are telling people to download it in case it goes down.

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
I had the pleasure of fan-translating The Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Ed, great game. A must, in my opinion, closely followed by S4. Never played the first nor Settlers 7, though.
Neat! I have huge respect for fan translators. You guys are awesome! How long did it take you though?

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Neat! I have huge respect for fan translators. You guys are awesome! How long did it take you though?
Thanks! Unfortunately I've been out of the game for some good time but I hope to come back someday - fortunately though, more and more devs are releasing games with my native language (PTBR, or at least PTEU).

Regarding Settlers 2, I don't remember exactly how long the project went on, but I'd guess that 2 weeks translating about 100 ~ 400 lines (between subtitles and small lines like resource names) every now and then is a safe assumption. Then I asked a friend to do a play with it for a few hours to gather feedback, reworked some lines after that and sent it for release in the community I was part of then. So, in total 3 weeks and a half, give or take. There was some gigantic projects that took months with multiple people involved, though. Dragon Age 2, for example, was my last project in said community, and that one took a long, long time - 1 year and a half, I think.

BO7AMMOOD

Apr 18, 2019
Thanks! Unfortunately I've been out of the game for some good time but I hope to come back someday - fortunately though, more and more devs are releasing games with my native language (PTBR, or at least PTEU).

Regarding Settlers 2, I don't remember exactly how long the project went on, but I'd guess that 2 weeks translating about 100 ~ 400 lines (between subtitles and small lines like resource names) every now and then is a safe assumption. Then I asked a friend to do a play with it for a few hours to gather feedback, reworked some lines after that and sent it for release in the community I was part of then. So, in total 3 weeks and a half, give or take. There was some gigantic projects that took months with multiple people involved, though. Dragon Age 2, for example, was my last project in said community, and that one took a long, long time - 1 year and a half, I think.
Wow! Thanks for the insight. Even though three and a half weeks for Settlers 2 seem to be on the shorter side, I'm still impressed by the patience and dedication required to see the translation through. I don't even want to think about how exhausting it would feel to work on projects that take as long as Dragon Age 2 o_O
I once tried fan translating movies and managed to finish two projects before tapping out. That was 8 years ago, and if you ask me it's not long enough! But yeah It's good that more and more languages are supported nowadays. Now instead of translating games, you could also spend that time playing games! Apparently that's something people do instead of just buying games to feed the backlog monster :LOL:

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Wow! Thanks for the insight. Even though three and a half weeks for Settlers 2 seem to be on the shorter side, I'm still impressed by the patience and dedication required to see the translation through. I don't even want to think about how exhausting it would feel to work on projects that take as long as Dragon Age 2 o_O
I once tried fan translating movies and managed to finish two projects before tapping out. That was 8 years ago, and if you ask me it's not long enough! But yeah It's good that more and more languages are supported nowadays. Now instead of translating games, you could also spend that time playing games! Apparently that's something people do instead of just buying games to feed the backlog monster:LOL:
But I don't have anything to play :astonished-face:

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
There's only one thing I'm interested in about this show: will anyone actually dare to boo when Epic is using the word "exclusive"? 😅
I really hope people boo. We need Blizzard April Fools guy to be in the audience.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
it's going to be a extremely curated audience. Randy Pitchford is the worst kind of arrogant shithead and even he knew not to mention EGS exclusivity on stage.
yeah, pretty much ... i'd be surprised if they just let anyone in and let them sit anywhere they want ... i can guarantee at least the first few rows will be curated to hell and back

YourFriendMaynard

The flame is it's own reflection
Dec 21, 2018
God I genuinely wish Humble Bundle would sell Shadow Complex remastered instead of just buying the game on Steam

:blobtide::loudly-crying-face:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I guess I'm doing it wrong, I finished a game today. RUINER. I had a pretty bad initial experience with it, and it does have some fairly pointless quirks, but switching to a controller and just focusing on the main quest sorted it out. It's a solid game, I feel like it's a bit of polish away from a great one, but it nails the aesthetic something fierce.

I just bought Katana ZERO on sale (what's with these deadly action games and their capital letters?) so that'll probably be my next quick romp.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
I finished Yakuza Kiwami 2!

This game delivered the whole time I was playing be it with the story, the Majima scenes or the atmosphere in Kamurocho and Sotembori.

Edit: Some more things about Kiwami 2, might be kind spoilerish

The elevator going up while you fight the Man in Black kind of reminded me of Street of Rage and I had the same impression when fighting against Terada and he was using a submachine gun, I'm not sure if it was intentional or not though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.