Community MetaSteam | June 2021 - Alex Kidd in Monetary Mishandling Management DX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I take it's not coming then. No a big loss to be honest.
There are far more straightforward ports to do, Dreams would need to be completely rearchitectured for PC.

Meanwhile, your average AAA PS4 game can run on most gaming PCs without having to redesign control inputs.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
He's hinting that epic got a deal.
It's not the first time I've seen lash hinting it.
Oh.

I don't understand Sony there. Why would they agree to an Epic deal for Dreams ?

They are furthering their presence on Steam with HZD and Days Gone, why go Epic exclusive ?

Hopefully GoW PC is not Epic exclusive. And hopefully Dreams is not the next port otherwise here go months of waiting again until something comes out on pc from them.

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: Cacher and lashman

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
lets just say i have seen it running first hand (thx covid wfh) and it alludes to something that circulates :p
I completely understand you can't be explicit about those things.

I have no idea what Sony property you are talking about and that's fine. It's bound to become public eventually.

I just hope it's not Dreams as I could not care less about it.

skinpop

blue noise
Jun 21, 2021
kannogawa
Am on top of Meta HQ shining the Grognard sign into the night sky to call Aaron D.
It's like the batman symbol but it's a beardy old nerd about to school you on the inaccuracies of representation of the Prussian Empire in modern wargaming.

Off the top of my head i'd say the next two are good introductions as they are a little bit more like "Puzzle" games than pure strategy games but not as "puzzly" as Panzer Corps where there tends to be only one "optimal" solution to the maps.

The Endless Space series is good, games by Slytherine/Matrix range from lightweight to crazy depth.

These are Strategic games with Tactical battles though. Proper strategy games will seem like pushing counters around a map because that's what they are.

It'd probably be a good idea to look through Aaron D's posts in this thread as there will be tons of recommendations in their posts and conversations with them.
great stuff thanks!

I'm a civ-junkie. I've played them all (including spin-offs) since the first game and civ 4 is my favorite. I was not happy with 5/6 so I keep playing 4 but if there's anything else out there like civ I'd be happy to try it,

unity of command has been on my list since I read about it years ago but I never bought it. maybe now is the time to try it out. thanks for reminding me about it.

regarding total war, I loved shogun 2 but was disappointed with the 2-3 games that followed. haven't touched the series since and that dlc scheme is definitely a turn-off. Actually the abundance of dlc is a big turn-off for me in general with the genre nowadays. A meaty expansion is fine but that's about what I'm willing to tolerate. I like when games are complete with the first full version installment.

Last edited:

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I guess we all kinda forgot about GT Sport.
I thought he meant something that's making the rounds...I..I mean something that's being talked about like Dreams or God of War.

I did not think of Gran Turismo.....Queen never talked about, did she ?
I'd be down for GT Sport of course.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Didn't those that came before died on PC? MS had one at some point, Stadia and EGS has Crayta or something going nowhere, I don't think Dreams gonna do anything on PC, maybe Sony has the foresight this will bomb and want to get that sweet Timmy money just for kicks.

Reactions: AHA-Lambda

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Didn't those that came before died on PC? MS had one at some point, Stadia and EGS has Crayta or something going nowhere, I don't think Dreams gonna do anything on PC, maybe Sony has the foresight this will bomb and want to get that sweet Timmy money just for kicks.
That makes sense actually. It's not going to be anywhere close to the same ROI of Horizon Zero Dawn.
And if it's the next port after Days Gone then it makes perfect sense why Sony would rather let their investors know big AAA games like UC4 would be coming to PC. The prospect of a Dreams PC version would not impress investors.

There is something I don't understand though. If Sony keep spreading their PC releases like that it will take at least until 2023 to see the last of the PS4 titles they plan on bringing to Steam/PC.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Sony have done exclusives before with Ready Set Heroes and Predator Hunting Grounds. They might think the smaller games wouldn't sell even if they released on Steam and it's more profitable to take the immediate Timbucks while doing multi store releases for their popular games.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
That makes sense actually. It's not going to be anywhere close to the same ROI of Horizon Zero Dawn.
And if it's the next port after Days Gone then it makes perfect sense why Sony would rather let their investors know big AAA games like UC4 would be coming to PC. The prospect of a Dreams PC version would not impress investors.

There is something I don't understand though. If Sony keep spreading their PC releases like that it will take at least until 2023 to see the last of the PS4 titles they plan on bringing to Steam/PC.
MS did cultivate an unreasonable type of player base during the 360 era, the dudebro type with we are better than them mentality, Sony gladly pandered to it after the Xbox One debacle, and profited greatly, now they are stuck with a bunch of shitheads that they are probably afraid to "offend" by releasing more games on PC, going by what that guy Jim Ryan has said in some interviews.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
MS did cultivate an unreasonable type of player base during the 360 era, the dudebro type with we are better than them mentality, Sony gladly pandered to it after the Xbox One debacle, and profited greatly, now they are stuck with a bunch of shitheads that they are probably afraid to "offend" by releasing more games on PC, going by what that guy Jim Ryan has said in some interviews.
He said there was no massive adverse reaction to it. They don't matter.

Whether hardcore Sony fans like it or not more Sony AAA games are coming to PC.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
He said there was no massive adverse reaction to it. They don't matter.

Whether hardcore Sony fans like it or not more Sony AAA games are coming to PC.
Oh, absolutely, but I bet if they were not cautious they would be releasing a game every 2 to 3 months instead of 6+.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Bloodborne is the most important game of them all to be released on PC, because unlike God of War, Tsushima etc., Bb never got a framerate patch. At least with Tsushima, GoW, Uncharted 1-3 etc. people are able to play the game at 60 fps, even if it's only on PS5 (Uncharted 1-3 is on PS4 with 60 fps too). There is no option with Bb.

With Bb, you are still stuck with 30 fps (often dips below), terrible framepacing, unclear image quality, chromatic abberation and somewhat long load times.

Bb needs a patch/remaster/PC version most of them all.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Bloodborne is the most important game of them all to be released on PC, because unlike God of War, Tsushima etc., Bb never got a framerate patch. At least with Tsushima, GoW, Uncharted 1-3 etc. people are able to play the game at 60 fps, even if it's only on PS5 (Uncharted 1-3 is on PS4 with 60 fps too). There is no option with Bb.

With Bb, you are still stuck with 30 fps (often dips below), terrible framepacing, unclear image quality, chromatic abberation and somewhat long load times.

Bb needs a patch/remaster/PC version most of them all.
It's going to be a long while for Bloodborne PC. The remaster has to be PS5 exclusive for at least 6 months before it releases on PC or something like that.
No wonder it's probably not the next port after Days Gone.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
It's going to be a long while for Bloodborne PC. The remaster has to be PS5 exclusive for at least 6 months before it releases on PC or something like that.
No wonder it's probably not the next port after Days Gone.
I don't care when it happens, I don't care if I have to wait for a long time, I just need it to be announced so I know it's coming.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I don't care when it happens, I don't care if I have to wait for a long time, I just need it to be announced so I know it's coming.
You just it won't be announced for PC until a few months before launch.
I could totally see the remaster for PS5 being announced at whatever summer event Sony are planning.

In the meantime there are other games from their PS4 era that could make it to PC.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
We'll see, Bb PC coming after PS5 is based on rumors and we know plans can change quickly.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
We'll see, Bb PC coming after PS5 is based on rumors and we know plans can change quickly.
No. It's based on Sony's words that PC-PS day-and-date releases are not possible.

Don't do this to yourself. Whatever happens with the remaster the PC version will release 6-9 months after.

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019

Moving out doesn't have native online co-op but you should be able to use Remote Play Together

Maybe Apex if you and your friends are into that

Already played valheim and risk of rain 2, both amazing, moving out looks like overcoocked and my friends didnt enyoyed a lot (i love it), apex is a nono for the fps factor and BR. Thanks for the suggestions!

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
No. It's based on Sony's words that PC-PS day-and-date releases are not possible.

Don't do this to yourself. Whatever happens with the remaster the PC version will release 6-9 months after.
Problem is, I don't believe Sonys own words and neither should anyone.

I mean, Jim Ryan himself is often attacked with memes like "don't believe his lies".

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Problem is, I don't believe Sonys own words and neither should anyone.

I mean, Jim Ryan himself is often attacked with memes like "don't believe his lies".
He never really "lied" though. You can believe in generations while releasing on the previous console.
And I really don't think Sony would backtrack on a statement of that scale.

There is no way Bloodborne releases on PC & PS5 simultaneously.

• This!

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
He never really "lied" though. You can believe in generations while releasing on the previous console.
And I really don't think Sony would backtrack on a statement of that scale.

There is no way Bloodborne releases on PC & PS5 simultaneously.
Absolutely, the whole “we believe in generations” thing is brought up CONSTANTLY yet conveniently ignores that that statement doesn’t mean cross gen isn’t a thing.
People ascribed way more intent to the statement than it ever really conveyed

I will be amazed if a Bloodborne rerelease is day one PS5 and PC
At this point, You've probably spent more time thinking about Undying than it would take you to buy it, install it and finish it! :D
Get it for £1, make a coffee and get some biscuits, play the game and when you get fed up throw cheats on and breeze through it.
😂😂
Nah it’s fine, at this point I’m still hesitant on it being worth my time, and if I’m still erring then it’s probably not. I’ve said before I want to cut down my playlist queue anyway so it seems more prudent and sensible to me to just leave it

• Sad

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh fuck, I goofed... I bought a month of FF14.
RIP me :fearful-face:

One fear and one proven suspicion. I fear I'm definitely fed up with the game as my last attempt was brief. And I'm definitely wired to play MMO during the dog days of summer.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Oh fuck, I goofed... I bought a month of FF14.
RIP me :fearful-face:

One fear and one proven suspicion. I fear I'm definitely fed up with the game as my last attempt was brief. And I'm definitely wired to play MMO during the dog days of summer.
Sometimes I think about starting FFXIV but those games requires a lot of time investment I don't have at the moment.

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
what are some great strategy games from the last 2-3 years to pick up during the sale? I'm open to most types of strategy games except for things that play like a reskinned excel document.
Am on top of Meta HQ shining the Grognard sign into the night sky to call Aaron D.
It's like the batman symbol but it's a beardy old nerd about to school you on the inaccuracies of representation of the Prussian Empire in modern wargaming.

Off the top of my head i'd say the next two are good introductions as they are a little bit more like "Puzzle" games than pure strategy games but not as "puzzly" as Panzer Corps where there tends to be only one "optimal" solution to the maps.

I'd probably choose UC2 over UC1 because of the improvements but both have good reputations.

Yeah, UoC2 is my go-to suggestion for an introduction to the wargame genre. Best way to get your foot in the door, imo.

Esp. after they totally overhauled the tutorial a couple months back.

Speaking of which, CK3 is a bit deep-end of the pool, but the new imbedded-hyperlink info panels and a whip-smart tutorial to make it far more accessible than previous outings.

Like the idea of Crusader Kings but are too intimadated? Plebby Quest is a CK-lite from a S. Korean team that is feature-rich but approachable. Killer charming/funny story spread over 3 campaigns.

Swinging in the opposite direction, Shadow Empire makes CK look like checkers on the complexity front. Unabashedly deep 4X/wargame hybrid with CK-leader relationship management influences. Made by one guy. Not for the feint of heart! Near the top of my current overall GOTY list.

C&C Remastered is a wonderful package with a ton of content. Lovingly put together with a lot of extra bells & whistles. If you're new to the RTS genre it's a friendly introduction as it was part of the vanguard that started the entire genre and back then the game mechanics were more focused & straightforward.

Also consider the killer Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition if you're interested in this angle.

Super-interesting settler/RTS hybrid with a cool story & presentation.

Cute RTS with an interesting setting.

Speaking of story, Frostpunk is unforgettable. Bring a tissue.

Battletech brings killer grid-based combat into play. Super deep gameplay systems in building out your mech.

I'll always stan for Troubleshooter. It's an XCOM-like out of S. Korea from a small team with a ton of heart. Deep story elements w/ FFT:A job systems & Pokemon collection influences.

While we're on XCOM-like, you don't get much closer to XCOM than XCOM itself.

Humankind is landing in a couple months and it looks like the first true Civ-killer to come along in quite some time. Believe you can play the beta now with a purchase.

Honestly I could go on for days as the Strategy field is so wide & diverse. Are you in the market for a particular type of strat experience?

There's so many offshoots.

Into colony management? ACS is a wonderfully deep RimWorld-like with RPG elements.

How about automation/production line strat? DSP is a killer Factorio-like.

Looking for more action? D3 sports awesome real-time ( w/pause) tactical engagement.

Into SCP monster management? Lob Corp. is another gem out of S. Korea that just saw a complete English translation overhaul making it far more approachable.

Under the radar gem that's like a board-game version of State of Decay.

Okay, now I'm really out of gas.

More suggestions in my back pocket, so swing back by if you want to drill down deeper with a more focused search.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
3 EA games to be delisted from GOG this Monday.

I'm told that they can also be purchased on Origin as well. But I don't know if they ever go on sale on Origin though.

PossiblyPudding

sometimes a doctor of rhythm
Apr 17, 2019
PossiblyPudding might have some suggestions for co-op games
Thanks for the heads up Panda! :cat-heart-blob:

recommendations for 3 players coop, please.
We already have in sight For the king, and remnant from the ashes.
If you and your friends don't mind co-op fps this is a good one too look into. It's one I've had an absolute blast with playing with friends.

The EDF series is also a good choice for some goofy, mindless fun.

Strange Brigade is an underrated one that I've really enjoyed. It's a little sluggish but there's some decent humor and solving puzzles to find treasure with friends is a good time.

Moving away from shooters, Nine Parchments is a lot like the Magicka games but a little more forgiving. It's one made by the Trine developers and has some of that same humor.

Speaking of Trine, I'd also like to recommend that series. I'll link 4 but it's worth giving all of them a look.

If you enjoy tower defense PixelJunk Monsters 2 is a good, silly one.

And finally I'll put a few random ones to consider as well.

skinpop

blue noise
Jun 21, 2021
kannogawa
More suggestions in my back pocket, so swing back by if you want to drill down deeper with a more focused search.
Wow, I appreciate the effort of putting together that post! 🙇‍♂️

Lots of stuff to dig into there. Like I wrote in my follow up post Civ 4(I was very disappointed with 5 and 6) is probably my favorite strategy game so naturally, humankind looks very interesting to me. I'll probably give UoC 2 a try. I don't think I've played anything like it before so that's pretty exciting.

Dyson Sphere has been on my radar but I've already played Factorio a ton and at some point these games start to feel like I'm doing logic design in an editor rather than playing a game. What Factorio lacked for me was difficult decisions. Perhaps dyson sphere is better on that front? For example in civ I will spend 30 minutes thinking hard about where to put my next city and that decision will have a profound effect on the entire playthrough. I love that about those games and that's the kind of stuff I'm after. Doesn't have to be anything like civ though just something where decisions have far reaching consequences instead of being momentary busywork.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
let's suppose I wanna do something crazy and get something different than a 27'' gaming monitor...

...what's a good 49'' gaming monitor?
Start here i suppose then go to the usual tech review sites and channels you like.

49" is a bit mental and will be expensive and 49" screens will show defects more easily than smaller screens.
I couldn't say if you are better off looking for a TV at that size either, sorry.
If you don't care about going above 60hz, a TV is absolutely the way to go. You can get a good quality TV 50" and under for really cheap nowadays, less than my 1440p 144hz 27" monitor cost.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Doesn't have to be anything like civ though just something where decisions have far reaching consequences instead of being momentary busywork.
Yeah, Frostpunk is what you're looking for.

Tough decisions that dovetail out over your campaign.

You have to make hard choices and you won't be able to do all the "right" things all the time. You have to make sacrifices for the overall good.

Really fascinating stuff.

And Unity of Command 2 is the best example of an approachable wargame, but with depth. Threat assessment, logistics, knowing unit strengths, and utilizing theater assets are all important to secure a win. (words by Designer Plays)

Last edited:
Reactions: skinpop and lashman

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Sometimes I think about starting FFXIV but those games requires a lot of time investment I don't have at the moment.
Just play the free trial and take your time, once you figure out how to progress from quest to quest, you'll then be able to get in the flow of gameplay and combat.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Want to second the recommendation for Troubleshooter. It's one of my favorite games ever after getting into it finally this year. It can be a bit slow / overwhelming to get into but there are a bunch of helpful guides and a Discord and if you've played a tactics RPG before you can mostly figure stuff out (the game does try to help, but there's just a lot of depth to every system).

Some other recommendations I've played:

Cloud Gardens is a very chill semi-puzzle game where you grow plants on small scenes of ruined civilization. You can fail a level, but it's really easy not to, it's very open and forgiving and I keep forgetting it's early access so there's more to come

Pistol Whip is probably my favorite VR game, and the Devs have doubled the initial song / level selection since release for free. There is more coming, at this point I would instantly grab any DLC they did offer if it meant even more stuff.

Vault of the Void is my favorite straight up deck builder game available right now. It's very much a more strategic style compared to ones like StS, because you have a TON of information on what the RNG gods have lined up for you on a run, and it's up to you to map out the best way to take advantage of that. You can also swap cards in and out of your deck before each fight, which is sometimes extremely helpful and can prevent you from drafting yourself into a corner against certain fights (although most runs, you will not need to swap much at all).

Children of Morta isn't a hidden gem but it's not as popular as I think it deserves. It has a very similar method of story telling to Hades and came out at almost exactly the same time. The playstyle is something like Diablo at a souls-like pace / system. You control different family members, choosing on each run, and as they level up they give bonuses to other family as well. The art is fantastic, the story is really good, and it offers co-op to boot.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So, I think this is my haul for this sale:

Via the Remaster Collection bundle, and bought form gamesbillet

I really like the way Valve has designed this years sale. The various categories give you some pretty good recommendations and I really get the impression it's trying to suggest more than just already well known titles.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
lol :-D
my hinting game needs to improve my hinting game , never though someone would think of this one from that
Blood circulates all over the body wink wink

Bro the day Bloodborne comes to PC I'll have an aneurism out of sheer excitement lmao :blobeyes:

• Toucan

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Any recommendations for JRPG's that are not party based?
Haha, asking for a JRPG without party members is basically heresy . :p I only know of one that's on Steam.

I'm sure you already know about this, but if not, you only play as Lightning. The class system is based around schemata (clothing), and you can equip up to 3 schemata presets during battle. Managing these schemata will be crucial to understanding the game's combat system. There's a lot of depth in the combat, too.

Crisis Core is solo, but never played it.

There's also Vagrant Story, but it's a PS1 only game, so you'll have to emulate it.

There very first DQ game also doesn't have any party members. :p

I think some of the Y's games are solo, too, but I can't say for sure since I've never played them.

Status
Not open for further replies.