Community MetaSteam | June 2022 - It's Hot Outside! Sit and Play Some Videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Not sure if this is allowed in here, but a famous PS fanboy just saw his PS4 in half because Spiderman is coming to PC lmao 🤡 🤡

That's really clean cut i will give him that. And while we are back on topic with Spider-Man i will take points for predicting Sony release in August. I said months ago that GoT will be their August release but we got Spider-Man instead XD

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
-----------------------

I was in to much emotion at the time, sorry about that but here is the context of what I was talking about.

Like I said only 1 or a few other people would think this is pretty cool but the rest won't be that interested.

love it when stuff like this happens.
Amazong sent me Steins;Gate 0 for Vita, multiple months before the official release.

Felt like an insider god

Worldwide timetable for E3 2022 press conferences

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Ok that's great, I assumed it was going to be like the old E3 timeline. Much better now.
Check Cheesemeister's twitter for a good view on all of the shows and their times. This is the current schedule, if new shows come online he'll probably post a new one as a reply to this one.
For me, UTC+3 (Finland), it's actually not awful this year. There's couple of 1am shows, but most of it is the late night rather than early morning. In real E3 it was always shit when everyone would go on the same day and Sony would end up going at like 5am. :minos_sleepy:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I read that and all of can do is sigh.

i know I am preaching to the choir here but do these people still not understand you don’t need the blockchain to do any of what was posted there.

and as I think more on it I realise that this is loot boxes, battle passes and GAAS writ large. It’s absolutely horrific.
I always say that everything popular and "modern" in videogames today, good and bad, from item levels to microtransactions and P2W of every kind comes from MMOs, but it definitely applies to blockchain shit too.

Players have just missed decades of MMO evolution, the reason why it was popular in a certain circle, and why it is now copied by everything and anyone, from Batman to Assassin's Creed to God of War.
It's easy community building tools, metagaming experiences that go beyond the base gameplay, but also addiction and easy money, as if Diablo Immortals was even remotely close to being the first or even the worst at P2W mechanics.

What I find weirder is that it often comes from PC players, at least on consoles it is more recent.

As if games never had progression before Blizzard established the color rarity and you can't do without, or as if you can't make a game without a tank and a healer (of course support and control have been executed, burnt to a crisp, their ashes thrown to the wind, and every memory of them systematically erased from existence - can't have complex mechanics that are not click the magic button to tank/heal)... there are so many games that have blatantly nonsensical systems to offer what's expected of them (like Horizon talent trees unlocking the most basic mechanics of 3D games like a stealth attack) that you end up with a big blob of AAA that is just meaningless to play.

Especially with how long games are supposed to be now, I wonder how many trolls and valkyries God of War 2 will have. Or how many copy/pasted forts Ubisoft will add in their next games.

Blockchain and the metaverse and all that shit is just another facet of that, people expecting grand experiences... that have existed for thirty years, but they were not aware of them.
So they bandwagon the smart scam artists promising them just that, and won't bother going back to old stuff because it's old.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Playing games should be fun, not doing boring chores to get higher leveled equipment in order to fight higher leveled bosses in order to get higher leveled equipment in order to fight higher leveled bosses in order to...
Not going to disagree, but that's RPGs in a nutshell.
Play anything really old timey like the original Ultimas, and you get just that.
The grind to get gear to grind more gear is a gigantic part of videogames, both West and East.

Sadly, we actually have options for different and more interesting progression paradigms, but it has actually gone backward over the decades. I remember when we had unique items with unique effects. Then tier sets, common for everyone, but still interesting.
And now, it's only stat sticks. +5 intelligence, +4 agility.
At best!
We even have a good amount of games that forsake stats entirely, and you straight up get item level power (to think that the very concept of "item level" was a mod from World of Warcraft!) with no relation to anything. It's just a validation of time/money invested.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
I initially thought it would end with something happening IRL so that the person could not attend "tonight's objective". Then I noticed the story is from some blockchain bozo.

Everything in that story sounds so extremely unappealing to me. I've never been much for MMOs, mainly since they continuously cost and you are "expected" to play when the guild wants etc. Which is something I've never felt at ease with.
On top of that, adding crappy blockchain mechanics used to fleece your players even more is a simple way of showing that it is a type of game I will never ever touch.

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
I always say that everything popular and "modern" in videogames today, good and bad, from item levels to microtransactions and P2W of every kind comes from MMOs, but it definitely applies to blockchain shit too.

Players have just missed decades of MMO evolution, the reason why it was popular in a certain circle, and why it is now copied by everything and anyone, from Batman to Assassin's Creed to God of War.
It's easy community building tools, metagaming experiences that go beyond the base gameplay, but also addiction and easy money, as if Diablo Immortals was even remotely close to being the first or even the worst at P2W mechanics.

What I find weirder is that it often comes from PC players, at least on consoles it is more recent.

As if games never had progression before Blizzard established the color rarity and you can't do without, or as if you can't make a game without a tank and a healer (of course support and control have been executed, burnt to a crisp, their ashes thrown to the wind, and every memory of them systematically erased from existence - can't have complex mechanics that are not click the magic button to tank/heal)... there are so many games that have blatantly nonsensical systems to offer what's expected of them (like Horizon talent trees unlocking the most basic mechanics of 3D games like a stealth attack) that you end up with a big blob of AAA that is just meaningless to play.

Especially with how long games are supposed to be now, I wonder how many trolls and valkyries God of War 2 will have. Or how many copy/pasted forts Ubisoft will add in their next games.

Blockchain and the metaverse and all that shit is just another facet of that, people expecting grand experiences... that have existed for thirty years, but they were not aware of them.
So they bandwagon the smart scam artists promising them just that, and won't bother going back to old stuff because it's old.
It’s an odd situation. I have played FFXIV for the last year or so and that is my first MMO. I have enjoyed it a lot and plan to do plenty more in there.

Yet when those same systems are thrown into Single Player games or GaaS I run to the hills. They just don’t appeal to me. I would say they turn me away. Not touched a Ubi game long before they left steam. It’s part of the reason I don’t immediately feel the need to grab any sony games immediately.

it’s also why I bounced of Lost Ark. I hit the point where I need additional characters to get the materials to level up my main (also the glamours in the game where crap and had to pay ridiculous amounts to buy a decent one). It became a job.

it may be hypocrisy or its just that I am still enjoying the gameplay loop in FFXIV.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
Play anything really old timey like the original Ultimas, and you get just that.
The grind to get gear to grind more gear is a gigantic part of videogames, both West and East.

Sadly, we actually have options for different and more interesting progression paradigms, but it has actually gone backward over the decades. I remember when we had unique items with unique effects. Then tier sets, common for everyone, but still interesting.
And now, it's only stat sticks. +5 intelligence, +4 agility.
At best!
We even have a good amount of games that forsake stats entirely, and you straight up get item level power (to think that the very concept of "item level" was a mod from World of Warcraft!) with no relation to anything. It's just a validation of time/money invested.
There are some games that I can forgive for having this kind of mechanics, and it's survival crafting games. Because that's pretty much the games' core concept.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I feel like most (generally considered "good") single player RPGs outgrew the "grind for grind's sake" mindset in the 90s already though. If you look at e.g. Ultima 7 (released in 1992) there isn't really much grind involved at all.

Sadly, we actually have options for different and more interesting progression paradigms, but it has actually gone backward over the decades. I remember when we had unique items with unique effects.
Well, Pillars of Eternity II has that (unique items with unique effects; in fact, a few even have unique per-item progression). Of course, that's in itself a throwback to earlier games, so it doesn't invalidate your point, I just can't miss an opportunity to plug Pillars II.

Regarding your earlier post though, I frequently feel like the game design of these huge modern games is not just a result of "design by committee" (which, on its own, is not necessarily bad, though perhaps a bit bland); it's "design by committee, many members of which haven't actually played a lot of games". At least that's my explanation for why we frequently see games include or re-invent gameplay mechanics seemingly without understanding what made them work, or how they have evolved over time.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
My biggest issue with "grind" is whether I find the base combat system to be very enjoyable or not. If the base combat is fun, then I don't mind spending a few hours to level up. It's only when you notice the grind, when the combat starts to get boring, that it becomes a major problem.
Luckily not a major problem on PC. Just fire up Cheat Engine, get a table with exp. multiplier and quickly level up to where the game needs you to be.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I feel like most (generally considered "good") single player RPGs outgrew the "grind for grind's sake" mindset in the 90s already though. If you look at e.g. Ultima 7 (released in 1992) there isn't really much grind involved at all.
Oh of course it evolved, the late Ultimas (minus 9...) are very fun, if a bit hard to get into today.
Best there's still a lot of grinding for grind sake, I especially think of Japanese dungeon crawlers here.

Well, Pillars of Eternity II has that (unique items with unique effects; in fact, a few even have unique per-item progression). Of course, that's in itself a throwback to earlier games, so it doesn't invalidate your point, I just can't miss an opportunity to plug Pillars II.
Indeed, there's plenty of good options, and Pillars 2 is a great game. Some others like Piranha Bytes too, they haven't forgotten good, powerful, and hard to get items.
But then you take a look at something like FF14, and you compare it to old WoW or Everquest...

Regarding your earlier post though, I frequently feel like the game design of these huge modern games is not just a result of "design by committee" (which, on its own, is not necessarily bad, though perhaps a bit bland); it's "design by committee, many members of which haven't actually played a lot of games". At least that's my explanation for why we frequently see games include or re-invent gameplay mechanics seemingly without understanding what made them work, or how they have evolved over time.
There's definitely the fact that a lot of devs haven't played a lot of old stuff, and like some less-than-desirable traits, but it also applies to players, else you wouldn't see extremely mediocre, derivative games reaching the 10+M mark.
We often blames publishers, and even developers, but ultimately... things sell when people want them, first and foremost. The AAA industry being what it is doesn't happen for no reason.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
There's definitely the fact that a lot of devs haven't played a lot of old stuff, and like some less-than-desirable traits, but it also applies to players, else you wouldn't see extremely mediocre, derivative games reaching the 10+M mark.
We often blames publishers, and even developers, but ultimately... things sell when people want them, first and foremost. The AAA industry being what it is doesn't happen for no reason.
That's a very good point, though somewhat depressing :p

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I wonder if part of the reason that games so often "re-invent the wheel" (and often actually reinventing the flat tire, to quote Alan Kay), is that gaming as an industry has super bad retention of developers. If only a small number of people on your team work for longer than 10 years in the industry, then naturally a lot of stuff will constantly be forgotten. Even if everyone played old games, that wouldn't give you the know-how that an experienced developer who worked on many of those games would have.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Now if only Obsidian would make an UI Deck patch, game is nigh unplayable on low res/low size screen and I feel I could be arsed to play it portable way more than on desktop...

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Oh, I see it's that time of the year when I stress about my data backup, wonder why I pay for the Google shit service, and wonder what I could use instead.
Best answer is a NAS, I think, but it's not cheap. Maybe BackBlaze ?

Why do I see Google as a shit service I can't rely on ? Well maybe the time when it just stopped backing things up, an issue that was resolvable, but an issue I was lucky to be made aware of. This piece of shit just makes using Calibre a PITA and let's not talk about the constant notifications of 'your other PC files have been modified'. During a game, it's so good to be back to windows because Google once again couldn't shut its fucking trap.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Not sure if this is allowed in here, but a famous PS fanboy just saw his PS4 in half because Spiderman is coming to PC lmao 🤡 🤡

Imagine being upset that more people get to enjoy something that you love.

Truly baffling.
Playing games should be fun, not doing boring chores to get higher leveled equipment in order to...

Well you've obviously not experienced the majesty of the professional duty Prime Vista Pro in PowerWash Sim.

Last edited:

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto

Is his next video going to be him cutting through the dewalt saw for failing him when cutting through the ps4?

MOM WHERE'S MY IODINE
It's almost like gaming companies of any kind aren't your friend and this is what capitalism looks like in our hobby when the game is secondary in all aspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.