Community MetaSteam | June 2022 - It's Hot Outside! Sit and Play Some Videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Toying with the simple idea of just fucking creating a batch file for my backup.
But uhh, welcome to parameters hell, I guess.

Not sure if I need more than /d and /e :thinking-face:

I just need my PC to backup several folders and subfolders every time I launch the .bat
Hmm, yeah, maybe overwriting if files changed size ? Oh fuck, parameters again. Maybe /v but won't that slow down the process ?

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Is his next video going to be him cutting through the dewalt saw for failing him when cutting through the ps4?

It's almost like gaming companies of any kind aren't your friend and this is what capitalism looks like in our hobby when the game is secondary in all aspects.
They have been hoodwinked into thinking they can make more money conning a (literal small number of) idiotic rich people than entertaining gamers, basically. They see millions of dollars being stolen from NFT people and think 'these are basically whales, as we know them, only they're beaching themselves. We can harvest their oil with zero expenditure.)

But I think they're going to find that due to the nature of current economics, there's only a few tens of millions of dollars in these beached whales yearly.

It's exactly like the MMO craze, when every company for some reason thought they'd make the one big MMO. But I guess this time their up front costs will be INCREDIBLY low. Literal $30 asset store assets.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
There's a Dangen Entertainment sale on Steam, and it seems I have several of their games on my wishlist. But I vaguely remember reading some negative stuff about this publisher. Is there a valid reason to ignore them?

• This!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
There's a Dangen Entertainment sale on Steam, and it seems I have several of their games on my wishlist. But I vaguely remember reading some negative stuff about this publisher. Is there a valid reason to ignore them?
The CEO was accused of being a massive creep and not paying the devs of the games they published. Dude's gone though.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Oh god no...

Game developer Peter Molyneux is known for his groundbreaking “god games” Populous and Black And White, for the classic roleplaying series Fable, and for a chaotic crowdfunding campaign that involved asking people to tap a mysterious cube that might make them a god inside a game that has now been in Steam Early Access for eight years. As of this weekend, you can add one more item to the list: NFT game developer.

On Saturday in Las Vegas, Molyneux announced a partnership with cryptocurrency gaming platform Gala Games. Gala and Molyneux’s development company 22Cans will work together to launch Legacy, a management game that Molyneux first announced in 2019. As explained in a blog post, Legacy will incorporate a new digital currency called LegacyCoin (on the Ethereum blockchain) and players will join the game by buying a non-fungible token, or NFT, called “Land.” Once they join, they can form a business in the game, build a town around that business, and compete or cooperate with other players to increase their LegacyCoin funds. It’s supposed to sit in the same broad “play to earn” genre as the better-known Axie Infinity but with the kinds of moral choices and management systems for which Molyneux is known.

Molyneux is probably the most accomplished developer to make a serious foray into crypto gaming, although publishers like Ubisoft have launched NFT sales for cosmetic items. But over the past decade, he also became known for making huge undelivered promises around the crowdfunded title Godus, retreating briefly from the public eye in 2015 after a Rock Paper Shotgun interviewer suggested he was a “pathological liar.” (Among other things, Godus was supposed to share its profits with a player who was declared its god — something that didn’t happen.) He’s either an odd fit or the perfect fit for NFT gaming, a sector that’s often described as overhyped.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
I wonder if part of the reason that games so often "re-invent the wheel" (and often actually reinventing the flat tire, to quote Alan Kay), is that gaming as an industry has super bad retention of developers. If only a small number of people on your team work for longer than 10 years in the industry, then naturally a lot of stuff will constantly be forgotten. Even if everyone played old games, that wouldn't give you the know-how that an experienced developer who worked on many of those games would have.
It's almost like burning through talent by crunching them to the bone so they leave the industry is a bad idea. Weird!

didamangi

Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shit.
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Toying with the simple idea of just fucking creating a batch file for my backup.
But uhh, welcome to parameters hell, I guess.

Not sure if I need more than /d and /e :thinking-face:

I just need my PC to backup several folders and subfolders every time I launch the .bat
Hmm, yeah, maybe overwriting if files changed size ? Oh fuck, parameters again. Maybe /v but won't that slow down the process ?

One moment, please... if you want to automate it.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Do people use or have used xcopy here ?
What the ever flying fuck is wrong with

@ECHO OFF
ECHO Backup
xcopy /e "c:\Users\xxxx\Bibliothèques Calibre\xxxx\Abraham Merritt\" "f:\multimedia\essai\"
PAUSE
I get invalid filepath.

It wasted an afternoon I had to waste, due to having some stressful days ahead, but still !
Thank you didamangi I will have a look at that. BUT STILL ! :grimacing-face:

edit -
Tried the fucking same line in cmd and it works, so there is an issue with the file itself ?

Last edited:
  • Eyes

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
Do people use or have used xcopy here ?
What the ever flying fuck is wrong with

I get invalid filepath.

It wasted an afternoon I had to waste, due to having some stressful days ahead, but still !
Thank you didamangi I will have a look at that. BUT STILL ! :grimacing-face:

edit -
Tried the fucking same line in cmd and it works, so there is an issue with the file itself ?
Try robocopy, it's better

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Try robocopy, it's better
Yup, I just saw that. But it still doesn't work.

ECHO Backup

chcp 1252

robocopy "c:\Users\xxx\Bibliothèques Calibre\xxx\Abraham Merritt\" "f:\multimedia\essai\" /MIR
PAUSE
I read that accentuated letters can fuck things up so I added chcp 1252 at the start, but not sure it does anything.
And windows misinterpret the paths, thinking the full enchilada is the source and that there is no destination.
And at first glance the è is is a garbled mess.

Last edited:
  • Eyes

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Wasn't Star Wars already on Amazon Prime? I know I already have it.
I just need two more decent months so I can get out of the Humble Monthly crap. In the off-chance there is another decent month after that, I can just sub for a month.

• Eyes

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Gamedec officially not supported on Deck, Platinum on protondb.
Business as usual.

• Eyes

mastemas

truman doctrine (actual norwegian guy)
Apr 15, 2021
in recent news, i'm a big sucker, but HIDEO'S NEW FUCKING GAME IS "OVERDOSE"? FR? IF IT GETS REVEALED AT THIS EVENT, I SWEAR TO GOD

• Eyes
Reactions: Cacher and yuraya

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021
Haven't paused Humble for a while but it feels like half of this one has already been given away for free. Had my eye on Call of the Sea for a while and Siege Survival looks interesting but it's a bit bare for their main offering

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Is there any reason not to cancel my Humble Classic plan once I finally get a last month that I don't skip? Their shit is so weird now that I can't tell if there are any benefits to keeping it instead of outright canceling.

• Eyes

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Kind of torn on the humble.
I have Gamedec and Call of the Sea wishlisted, and I could be into Pumpkin Jack, but the rest I either already have or not interested.

:blobweary:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Overdose would be some name for a Kojima horror game :face-screaming-in-fear:.

Kinda sounds fake tbh but if its real its gonna be some crazy PT shit for sure.

• Eyes
Status
Not open for further replies.