Community MetaSteam | June 2022 - It's Hot Outside! Sit and Play Some Videogames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Started Quantum Break. Kind of digging it so far. Playing on easy was definitely the correct choice.

Do you guys normally use a guide when you play an older game for the first time? I'm playing FFIX right now and I feel like without a guide I'm going to miss so much stuff in this game. Even in the first area with Vivi I already missed a bunch of stuff.
Usually no, but sometimes fomo is too strong.

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Raft 1.0 is out. Trading cards have been added to the game. Patch notes below:

pinson

Sep 6, 2021
Canada
Do you guys normally use a guide when you play an older game for the first time? I'm playing FFIX right now and I feel like without a guide I'm going to miss so much stuff in this game. Even in the first area with Vivi I already missed a bunch of stuff.
Except for a few items and a scene here and there, there are no major missables in FF9 from what I remember. Just enjoy your playthrough, it's an amazing game.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Ibuki

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Raft 1.0 is out. Trading cards have been added to the game. Patch notes below:
I want to play this so hard, but I'm still waiting for decent Steam Deck support. Although I'm not sure this kinda of games can be played with a controller..

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Yoshi

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I hate, hate using guides (except if I'm stuck, of course), and there are MANY old games that pretty much requires you to use one (like anything SMT), that will literally take me out of the game and is a 100% guarantee I'll drop it very early, like I've done for many.
I'm not even going to touch some franchises like SaGa because they expect you to.

Thankfully, this does not apply to FF9, you can miss some early items temporarily, and you will miss a whole bunch of monster cards, but those are extremely secondary.
I'd say the important bits to look for if you really want to go in depth would be stealing everything from bosses (and without a cheat, it's a pain with how bad the rate are), and to find the rare friendly monsters early with a guide (but those you can get later - it's just stupid that missing one means the rest won't appear during normal gameplay and you'll have to wait until you can come back).
Also buy at least one copy of each item when you can, not all of them will be available for ever.

Some stuff you will inevitably miss, but a lot of the side stuff is either here for bragging rights and serves no purpose beside getting some dialogue, or are just some of the worst guide bait you can think of like Excalibur 2. This you're not getting, and really nobody should if you don't like speedrunning.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Ibuki

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
I hate, hate using guides (except if I'm stuck, of course), and there are MANY old games that pretty much requires you to use one (like anything SMT), that will literally take me out of the game and is a 100% guarantee I'll drop it very early, like I've done for many.
I'm not even going to touch some franchises like SaGa because they expect you to.

Thankfully, this does not apply to FF9, you can miss some early items temporarily, and you will miss a whole bunch of monster cards, but those are extremely secondary.
I'd say the important bits to look for if you really want to go in depth would be stealing everything from bosses (and without a cheat, it's a pain with how bad the rate are), and to find the rare friendly monsters early with a guide (but those you can get later - it's just stupid that missing one means the rest won't appear during normal gameplay and you'll have to wait until you can come back).
Also buy at least one copy of each item when you can, not all of them will be available for ever.

Some stuff you will inevitably miss, but a lot of the side stuff is either here for bragging rights and serves no purpose beside getting some dialogue, or are just some of the worst guide bait you can think of like Excalibur 2. This you're not getting, and really nobody should if you don't like speedrunning.
The older Tales of games (until Graces anyway) and very notorious when it comes to missables. Some of stuff in the series are very time sensitive and require triggering a few lines of dialogue at very specific moments. Miss them, and you're locked out of the quest/content for the rest of the game. I'm glad they got rid of this BS design from the PS3 onwards.

I remember using a guide for all the missables in Vesperia back in the day and still managed to lock myself out of a few quests. :notlikethisblob:

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I use guides all the time if anything takes more than 10 minutes. I don't have that much time to play, aint getting stuck here for hours.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
I secretly hope that Iron Galaxy added RayTracing to Uncharted on PC so that is why they took their time XD
If anything, they've probably removed all lightning in the game, that's why it hasn't released yet. None of their ports that I've played have been good I'd say, okay at most.

• Sad

Yoshi

o_O
Jan 5, 2019
Activision Blizzard investigated themselves and found they did nothing wrong.
“Contrary to many of the allegations, the board and its external advisors have determined that there is no evidence to suggest that Activision Blizzard senior executives ever intentionally ignored or attempted to downplay the instances of gender harassment that occurred and were reported,” Activision Blizzard wrote in the filing.
Case closed! What a relief! :face-with-open-mouth-and-cold-sweat: /s

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California

I don't really care much for THPS 1+2

But THPS 3+4 is what I personally grew up on and I was hoping that they would work on those but I guess not.... .

Enjoy your games everyone.

Rodney is just a madman in that video.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Square Enix: "Our game is 93GBs and is coming out tomorrow. No pre-load lol."

Zachtronics: "Our game's not coming out for another 2 weeks and it's gonna be like 500MBs but we already shipped your physical stuff so here's your Steam key I guess."

Also, I'm really glad I didn't hesitate on that Deluxe Edition because they sold out insanely fast. I think all 900 were sold within 24 hours. I wonder if that was less stock than they usually do or if there was just more demand this time. Because I was able to buy a Shenzhen I/O binder by emailing Zach around the time Exapunks came out and it came with almost everything that was part of the Limited Edition. I had to get my own separators and print out the content myself but I think the only thing I'm actually missing is the iron-on patch.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

The real question is if its got enough of a different between the regular version (Non Enhanced edition) that got released again on GOG.

I know it lists all the updates/changes but just because it says they updated shit doesn't mean.. well you know.

You can end up grabbing the regular one for something like 6?7?$ on sale so I mean I sure hope they don't go ridiculous with price but i'm thinking they're gonna do 20+$

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I wonder is Deck demand meeting Valve expectations XD And I really wonder how many are sold so far. I know that Valve is not releasing numbers so we will probably never know.

• This!

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Another week, another no Valve email.
At this point I will be the lastest Q2 Deck :( to be sent.
Would have been great to get Deck this week cause I take vacations during the next one.

Last edited:

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Soul Hackers 2 PC Settings.

Rough TL of the options:

Display Page

Display mode
Monitor
Resolution
FPS
Vsync

Graphic Page

Graphics preset
Texture
Shadow
Ambient Occlusion
Bloom
Motion Blur
Render Scale
Anti-aliasing
DOF

200% render scale here we come.

Last edited:

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I wonder is Deck demand meeting Valve expectations XD And I really wonder how many are sold so far. I know that Valve is not releasing numbers so we will probably never know.
I think they will release sales numbers once they hit a big milestone, like a million. If we take Valve at their word that they were going to ship "tens of thousands" in March and "hundreds of thousands after that", the low end of these numbers would mean that they'll hit one million units sold by the end of summer.

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Sometimes i decide to quickly look up something specific but if looking at a guide becomes "part of the experience" there's a 100% chance i'll drop the game and play something else. If i miss something while playing the game i've played the game, if i see everything while following a step by step guide i've watched the author of the guide play the game for me and i might as well have watched a let's play instead and saved some money.

I think to me it comes down to the average session with the game, if the typical session doesn't involve a guide at all and all i did was look up a condition to not miss something and then if i ever reach chapter 7 i'll have another quick look to make the right choice at a specific spot and that's it that's fine by me. If i see a multi step process that would have me opening up a guide on a 2nd screen when i start the game... i'm out.

• Eyes

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Sometime after opening the reservation page for Steam Deck, Valve said that the demand exceeded their expectation and that they thought the base 64 GB model would be most popular but it turned out to be the 512 GB model.

There are already leaks about Little Phoenix which is supposed to be the chip used in the next Steam Deck, so If another Steam Deck ever appears, I suspect it will be somewhat more expensive given how currently the most expensive model is the most popular and people want even better hardware like an OLED screen.

• Eyes

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Sometime after opening the reservation page for Steam Deck, Valve said that the demand exceeded their expectation and that they thought the base 64 GB model would be most popular but it turned out to be the 512 GB model.

There are already leaks about Little Phoenix which is supposed to be the chip used in the next Steam Deck, so If another Steam Deck ever appears, I suspect it will be somewhat more expensive given how currently the most expensive model is the most popular and people want even better hardware like an OLED screen.
I think a model with an OLED screen would be nice, but don’t read too much into people buying the most expensive model and Valve having free reign to price how they want.

In the end, if Valve can get adequate storage on the base model then that will be the more popular one. It’s just PC gamers know 64gb is nowhere near enough.

The Deck’s price right now is good enough. We shouldn’t be hoping the price goes up and some sort of specs arms race ensues.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Depends on how you read it I guess and there are a few meanings of it. For me its always been how people mock folks with autism, so they can go fuck off with using the word. It isn't needed or wanted.
What I'm saying is that -- even being an avid internet user for 2 decades -- I never once made that association until I googled it now, so I wouldn't readily agree with claiming that the writers are "obviously aware" of it.

That's not to say that the writing is great by the way -- but I just found it inoffensively meh, which his not nearly enough to put a damper on the absolutely fantastic gameplay.

(It's also by no means an FPS. It a mastery-focused precision platformer in first person 3D with a bit of shooting)

Status
Not open for further replies.