Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Really wonder if SteamDeck will be able to hit a smooth 30 FPS on Starfield. On the one hand, you have a 33ms buffer, which should be enough if the CPU on the Deck runs at full power, but on the other hand, using Proton and everything else on top might mean there's less "room" for a CPU heavy game to do its things.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I assume that this was shown at one of these events I can't be assed to follow, but Youtube just recommended it to me and it's great:

Cities in CRPGs are my favourite thing, and this one looks amazing.
Yeah, it looks amazing.
Btw, anyone else surprised by the one old dude (expert writer) shown in this video? Normally, in these videos, they always show the hip 20-30 year olds (except for the lead developers) and was really surprised when an old person is shown (except for Sven :D).

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Yeah, it looks amazing.
Btw, anyone else surprised by the one old dude (expert writer) shown in this video? Normally, in these videos, they always show the hip 20-30 year olds (except for the lead developers) and was really surprised when an old person is shown (except for Sven :D).
I looked him up: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Schick
He worked at TSR in the 80s, the company that made Dungeons and Dragons, and about 10 years ago had a first stab in games writing with Elder's Scrolls Online, of all things. Seems he's been working at Larian's new Dublin office since 2021. So clearly someone with decades long experience writing RPGs ( in table-top form and more recently even video games). Seems like a great fit for Larian, in general, and Baldur's Gate in particular.

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
Huh, just received my replacement Xbox Series Elite custom controller. Damn, it arrived to the service center about 10 days ago according to Fedex, I called the last friday to MS to see if there was an update or something but they had nothing, said it might take another week or two. Then today, Fedex calls and are outside.

Also, the MS representant told me to just send in the controller, so I removed all accessories and thought I'd only get a new controller without sticks and d-pad. To my surprise, I also got another case, charger, new paddles, extra sticks etc. so I got a spare for everything now lol.

EDIT: Looking through it again, the only thing missing is the charging cable. Huh.
EDIT 2: Scratch that, cable is included.

Last edited:

Ganado

¡Detrás de tí, imbécil!
Nov 6, 2018
This is cool.

Part of Capcom birthday celebrations. Play Megaman, Megaman 2, Megaman X, Streetfighter 2 and Final Fight in your browser. Console versions only.
What did I even buy the collections for?! :mad:

🤡

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, it looks amazing.
Yeah, he's been in some of their other videos in the past as well. Good on them for hiring a RL wizard to help with the writing.

Edit: Or maybe I saw him in an ESO video?

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Yeah that will be interesting to see. Proton continues to surprise me with its efficiency and low overhead, but Starfield might be really borderline on the Deck HW in the first place.

Win/Linux comparisons might also be interesting for that.
indeed! proton is amazing.
but as with most games, a lot will come down to opimization, as there are plenty of games that look great and run smoothly; and then there are games that look hideous and run badly. i was just thinking this with the Lies of P demo, that looks nice and runs great, and then compare that to gollum .... sometimes its really staggering how some games just work so well and others, well, are gollum.

———

regarding AAA prices – a lot has been written about that topic, but I was just thinking that part of rising prices may also be (on top of all the other reasons, there are plenty) that AAA publishers release less games but want you to play those for longer so you buy into all the extra stuff; and if you have a high entry fee, you are more likely to actually play that game more, too, because of the feeling "i gotta get my money's worth". everyone wants to publish that "one game" you play almost exclusively. you could say everyone wants to be the next fortnite, but I would say that ever since WOW became such a massive cashcow (and, indeed the game that a lot of people played pretty much exclusively on PC – I sure didnt play many other games in my WOW days), devs have been chasing that.

(this is btw one of those posts that I usually dont post because they feel too much like "duh, obvious")

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
peesona 3 news:

atlus exceeds expectations by first lowering the expectations by a lot, and then exceeding said-lowered expectations
analysis of the trailer shows that some features from FES will actually be in the remake, such as the weapon fusion store in pawlownia mall

further more, and more exciting:

a translation of the interview reveals that, while P3R is indeed a remake of the original game, that it will likely contain story elements in FES which isn't The Answer

it's not over
billion mustn't die

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Starfield looked amazing and I'm definitely getting it.

BG3 looking great, though I already have the EA so would be playing it regardless.

Last Train Home should be good, I really dig the unique theme/setting.

Extremely disappointed with Atlus. P3RE lacking content from both FES and Portable means they've completely missed the main reason people were asking for the remake in the first place. ReFantasy is also just a reskin of Persona with graphics from 2 generations ago, which is ridiculous. Why bother leaving Persona team and creating a new one when you're just going to make Persona games still, Hashino? Six years of development only to come up with this? As Total War Shogun's announcer would say, shamefur dispray. Next you have Persona 5 Tactica which looks like a mobile game, yet it's $60. Sorry, but this just ain't it. I can't justify paying AAA prices for copy-pasted JRPGs with basic gameplay systems and outdated graphics when I can buy Pathfinder cRPGs for 2/3 of that price or Starfield for slightly more.

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
1440p 30fps for the Series S is good news for the Deck. It should do 720p30 just fine but yea this game will be difficult to push past 60 fps unless you have a really good CPU/GPU on PC.

Maybe they do some patching to push higher. Optimization will definitely be a big issue with all the planets and systems/mechanics.

Fallout 4 at 90-120fps was a very fun and smooth experience. The PC versions of all their games are very superior compared to the console versions so hopefully it doesn't struggle too much.

I noticed on the Steam page both Min. & Rec. requirements say an SSD is required.

Looks like I'll finally be doing that laptop upgrade this fall, lol.

I wish buying new hardware was a simple process, but I often find myself caught up in analysis paralysis. With so many choices out there, what if I don't pick the best one?!?!

If only I could just throw $2500 at a trusted source and have them come back with the absolute best that money can buy.

And before any of you yahoos get any ideas about volunteering for the job...I'm onto you.

Reactions: yuraya and xinek

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
One thing I haven't seen discussed much is Clockwork Revolution. It's probably 3 years away so there's not that much to say, but at least it's a new game announcement that I'm actually interested in. Especially since it's InXile and they confirmed that it's supposed to be a full RPG.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
One thing I haven't seen discussed much is Clockwork Revolution. It's probably 3 years away so there's not that much to say, but at least it's a new game announcement that I'm actually interested in. Especially since it's InXile and they confirmed that it's supposed to be a full RPG.
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about it as well. I had a feeling for some time that inXile actually has the talent to make good RPGs, but simply lacked the money. Now that they're under MS, money shouldn't be an issue, so we'll see if I'm right.

This is in contrast to Obsidian, which I firmly believe is completely washed up and unable to make a game on the same level as their best titles (KOTOR 2, NWN2 MotB, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol). Most of the people responsible for the success of those games are gone, and those still at Obsidian have clearly lost their steam and are out of touch with the current market. It also doesn't matter how much money MS pours at Obsidian when Feargus is the one managing it.

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
Starfield looked amazing and I'm definitely getting it.

BG3 looking great, though I already have the EA so would be playing it regardless.
Yeah I wasn't impressed with Starfield's earlier showings but it looked so much better yesterday than any other showings I was super impressed.

Of course Baldur's Gate 3 looks amazing as well and they're launching so close to each other. I'll probably go with Baldur's Gate 3 first while Bethesda works out some bugs.

Honestly Clockwork Revolution was what I thought was the most impressive game of the Microsoft show (with South of Midnight being a close second).

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
Good.

Other companies should take note.

You jump through hopes for my money.

I am not jumping through hopes to give you money. Release it where I play, or fuck off.

I don't care if that's "entitled".
I hate how “Entitled” has become a negative word. If I have paid money for something I am entitled to what was implied by the contract we made In that purchase.

If They Want my money they have to sell it in a fashion that benefits me. MS do, Sony kind off do (sort off, if you are willing to wait and maybe it will work as intended day 1) and Nintendo don’t.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
He is in a unique position to say this since he doesn't have to worry about console sales, since they practically don't exist for them lol.

I can at least understand why sony is more hesitant they have potentially a lot more to lose if something backfires.

• This!
Reactions: xinek

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic about it as well. I had a feeling for some time that inXile actually has the talent to make good RPGs, but simply lacked the money. Now that they're under MS, money shouldn't be an issue, so we'll see if I'm right.

This is in contrast to Obsidian, which I firmly believe is completely washed up and unable to make a game on the same level as their best titles (KOTOR 2, NWN2 MotB, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol). Most of the people responsible for the success of those games are gone, and those still at Obsidian have clearly lost their steam and are out of touch with the current market. It also doesn't matter how much money MS pours at Obsidian when Feargus is the one managing it.
I'm not quite that negative on Obsidian.
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 are some of my favourite CRPGs of all time (and I'd consider both better than any of the inXile Wasteland games), and Pentiment was also really good for what it is.

That said, what I've seen of Avowed doesn't look particularly enticing, and I might share some of your pessimism when it comes to new high-budget RPG projects out of Obsidian.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
yep indeed, it looks interesting :)

Good.

Other companies should take note.

You jump through hoops for my money.

I am not jumping through hoops to give you money. Release it where I play, or fuck off.

I don't care if that's "entitled".
I hate how “Entitled” has become a negative word. If I have paid money for something I am entitled to what was implied by the contract we made In that purchase.

If They Want my money they have to sell it in a fashion that benefits me. MS do, Sony kind off do (sort off, if you are willing to wait and maybe it will work as intended day 1) and Nintendo don’t.
oh absolutely. i wrote this before (probably several times) but one of the things i hated the most about the EGS thing is the narrative that people that buy games need to accomodate to those wanting to sell them. THAT is entitled.
It is like you said: You want me to buy your product? Sell it on my platform of choice, for a reasonable price, without extra launchers or logins, without a ton of DLC out of the gate.

oh wow! I was JUST last night looking at Raven Softwares old game catalogue and was thinking how nice it would be if those were available for purchase. There are SO many classic games still not available digitally for some dumb reason. I hope they release MageSlayer also.
Oh and Red Orb also made Prince of Persia 3D, but I guess thats too much to hope for, that Ubisoft (who hold that IP) would grace us with releasing "their" back catalogue.

Reason: typo
Last edited:

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
I'm not quite that negative on Obsidian.
Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 are some of my favourite CRPGs of all time (and I'd consider both better than any of the inXile Wasteland games), and Pentiment was also really good for what it is.

That said, what I've seen of Avowed doesn't look particularly enticing, and I might share some of your pessimism when it comes to new high-budget RPG projects out of Obsidian.
I found PoE to be a very competent game, but the setting and writing completely failed to grab me. I approached the game like 3 times and didn't manage to go beyond the ~10 hours mark every time. That said, T:ToN failed to grab me as well, as did Wasteland 2, so it's not like I think inXile is spotless. Enjoyed what I've played of Wasteland 3, will have to get back to it at some point.

The best output of "nu-Obsidian" was imo Tyranny. It's a shame the money clearly ran out before they could finish it properly. I enjoyed the writing in that immensely, though hated the initially forced ending that went against the game's premise (they later patched a fitting alternative). I can only hope it was forced on launch due to time/money constrains and not by design.

We also can't talk nu-Obsidian without mentioning The Outer Worlds, which is much closer to what Avowed aims to be than an isometric cRPG. And boy, that game was so unimpressive I that I'm glad I had GP sub from controller purchase, so I didn't waste money on it.

Pentiment, I don't judge. Sawyer has his problems (balance obsession), but they're irrelevant in a game like Pentiment. It might be actually good, but it's pretty much Sawyer's solo endeavour, and he wasn't working on Avowed, so it's irrelevant in the grand scheme of Obsidian.

Ultimately, I'd be extremely happy if Avowed turned out to be not even great, but a good RPG, since I'm always hungry for one, but I just can't see it realistically.

Reactions: lashman

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Did CD Projekt ever go back to the PS4, XONE versions of Cyberpunk and make those actually playable? I get that those machines are clearly not able to handle the full game, but they did sell the game there for full price, so just abandoning it like that would be incredibly anti-consumer, unless they just gave everyone a blanket refund.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
quick, go look at Bloodborne now! ;)
My bookmark for Metacouncil is a global search for the string "Bloodborne", and so it has been since the very day my account was created.

Every time I see a new message, my heart jumps. Is there finally credible news...? Dare I dream, dare I hope? With trembling fingers, I click; with moist eyes, I read...

... and every time it's just another one of you ninnyhammers cracking a bloody joke about it. :mad:

------------

In other news, the frequency of "Bloodborne will never come to PC" jokes has drastically increased these last two months; a sure sign that it's coming for sure, imminently...

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Did CD Projekt ever go back to the PS4, XONE versions of Cyberpunk and make those actually playable? I get that those machines are clearly not able to handle the full game, but they did sell the game there for full price, so just abandoning it like that would be incredibly anti-consumer, unless they just gave everyone a blanket refund.
They patched it a few times, seems to run better now.

Reactions: Mivey

Pommes

Hey you! Have a nice day!
Jun 4, 2019
There are 2 streams today:
  • Ubisoft Forward (starts in ~50 minutes)
  • Capcom Showcase

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Ubisoft will probably be a waste of time (they do the worst showcases and make incredibly boring games in general), but I'm interested to see what else Capcom has to show.

Please may we get some more Ace Attorney!

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Yeah the only good part of Ubi conference was when Miyamoto showed up then it proceeded to be shit again

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021

XIII Remake is $4.50, and I’m really contemplating a purchase. Is it crazy that I think it looks pretty good now?

Reactions: lashman

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I fell for the PC Gaming Show again this year, I'll never again waste my time on a Ubisoft conference. They've made it way too easy to realize I can live without their games.
I'm still watching it this time, makes for a good background noise while I finish work for the day. xD
(Wouldn't be watching it if I wasn't still working though).

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Tempted to get Teenage Exocolonist or Cassette Beasts to celebrate the Deck delivery.
But my choice paralysis is already back in full force, so mmh…

Status
Not open for further replies.