Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
This shows once again that hard but fair boss fights are extremely difficult to design. The Surge 2 is my favorite souls-like, but I don't like most of the boss fights in that game as well.
I still need to play Surge 2, but similarly I really enjoyed Surge 1, but really didn't enjoy any of the bosses.
And thinking about it, I don't really remember them either, I just remember not enjoying them.
Not enjoyable, not memorable. Bosses are indeed hard.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force and Li Kao

thekeats1999

MetaMember
Dec 10, 2018
At first glance I would say that you may be giving creators too much credit (or I'm just cynical). What if most creators' imagination wasn't boundless, what if most creators were just 'okay' makers. I don't see that as an insult, just that your primary example comes from some particularly bonker creator (Vandermeer), not everyone will be a his level.
Then there may be an element of risk aversion, when you create grey urban ruins, I sure hope you realize you are making something mediocre, but maybe you also think that this mediocrity is familiar to the audience, while something more daring could be rejected ?

I'm just spitballing ideas in relation to your point, let it not be said you are wrong or I'm against some fucking creativity.
yeah, unfortunately this tends to be the reality of the situation.

But a man can dream.

Yea that first Remnant boss was bs. I got him after 3 or 4 tries. You need to run into the corner of the area somewhere and kinda trap his bs spawn points. So that you can get him in a straight line alongside all the other enemies. Its easier to pick everyone off that way and use walls for cover. But yea it was an annoying fight. It felt like fighting a more aggressive pinwheel from Dark Souls in some giant factory maze. Oh and he is also shooting shit at you nonstop.

I really hope the modding community blows up for Starfield like it did for Elder Scrolls and Fallout. There are so many fascinating visual and graphics overhaul mods for Skyrim. Imagine if we get similar stuff for all the procedural generated planets in Starfield. We can get a bunch of dense forest planets like Endor or something from the movie Predators. It will probably take some time and we may need to wait for the next generation of GPU/CPUs but it would be amazing if that is the case. Also hopefully Bethesda themselves were able to handcraft a few interesting planets that you have to explore for the main quest. Something that really stands out or it could even be in future DLC if they didn't have time to do it for the base game.
I still remember my opening hours of Morrowind and seeing my first Silt Striders. Made such an impression. I don’t think they have ever repeated that opening for me.

Reactions: lashman

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Only Nintendo, and yeah, I don't think I will see them changing course in my lifetime.
It will happen soon imo. Corporations these days are forced to chase endless profits and growth. Nintendo is slowly exhausting all their avenues for growth. Everything from consoles to handhelds to mobile to cloud to theme parks. And now they are doing movies. Its only a matter of time until they realize they can make hundreds of millions if not billions of $$$ in the PC space. There should be more than enough data out there from Xbox and Playstation that shows supporting PC doesn't hurt your core business all that much. So I fully expect them to adopt some Playstation type strategy in porting games to PC shortly after release. I think they will start doing it over the next 3-5 years.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
It will happen soon imo. Corporations these days are forced to chase endless profits and growth. Nintendo is slowly exhausting all their avenues for growth. Everything from consoles to handhelds to mobile to cloud to theme parks. And now they are doing movies. Its only a matter of time until they realize they can make hundreds of millions if not billions of $$$ in the PC space. There should be more than enough data out there from Xbox and Playstation that shows supporting PC doesn't hurt your core business all that much. So I fully expect them to adopt some Playstation type strategy in porting games to PC shortly after release. I think they will start doing it over the next 3-5 years.
That sounds quite reasonable, which is why I don't expect Nintendo to ever follow that course.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Hey i see Call of Duty games are on sale. Lovely, like a bit of mindless shooty stuff sometimes.

I only play the SP campaigns and so £16 for Modern Warfare seems cheap enough to me, I'll buy it and have a play....

200+ GB! WTF!
If you’re only playing the SP you can disable the other stuff like MP in the DLC section and bring the size down a lot.

Unfortunately, Cold War and MW2019 are still hefty downloads even with everything disabled. MW2 thankfully doesn’t have this problem, MW2 with only the campaign installed is like 45gb.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
Only Nintendo, and yeah, I don't think I will see them changing course in my lifetime.
To add to what was already said, don't forget game budget and dev time are spiraling out of control. Something like TotK will end up making its budet back no issue, but can you say the same for series like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade that struggle to surpass 3 million copies sold?
Also, going from a 120 million console to a 30 million one (and that's in a perfect world where you can both produce and sell that many consoles in a year) it's never easy. There is a reason for why no one wanted to abandon the PS4 or how even the most hardcore console devs are trying to find their way into the pc space

Personally, just like their mobile endeavors, I think it's inevitable for Nintendo to come to Steam (and yes I specify Steam, not PC in general). But I think they will follow their own strategy different from Microsofts "everything is on pc" or Sonys "2-3 years and it's on pc". Nintendo will try everything to never port their biggest sellers (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Smash) both to avoid crossplay issues but also to force people to buy their consoles to play them. On the other hand I think games like FE, Xenoblade, Metroid and similar will end up on Steam in the end, but not simply to get some extra money: the most important reason will be to keep those devs and series alive despite them not doing gangbusters. Even if budgets increase as long as there is some extra way to make money those series will still go on providing both a way to fix holes into release plans and also a way to diversify their offerings. FE was choces for a reason to be on mobile and I feel FE will headline their pc lineup too

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
To add to what was already said, don't forget game budget and dev time are spiraling out of control. Something like TotK will end up making its budet back no issue, but can you say the same for series like Fire Emblem or Xenoblade that struggle to surpass 3 million copies sold?
Also, going from a 120 million console to a 30 million one (and that's in a perfect world where you can both produce and sell that many consoles in a year) it's never easy. There is a reason for why no one wanted to abandon the PS4 or how even the most hardcore console devs are trying to find their way into the pc space

Personally, just like their mobile endeavors, I think it's inevitable for Nintendo to come to Steam (and yes I specify Steam, not PC in general). But I think they will follow their own strategy different from Microsofts "everything is on pc" or Sonys "2-3 years and it's on pc". Nintendo will try everything to never port their biggest sellers (Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Smash) both to avoid crossplay issues but also to force people to buy their consoles to play them. On the other hand I think games like FE, Xenoblade, Metroid and similar will end up on Steam in the end, but not simply to get some extra money: the most important reason will be to keep those devs and series alive despite them not doing gangbusters. Even if budgets increase as long as there is some extra way to make money those series will still go on providing both a way to fix holes into release plans and also a way to diversify their offerings. FE was choces for a reason to be on mobile and I feel FE will headline their pc lineup too
As I said, this all sounds incredibly logical and obvious, which sadly means it will never happen, even it pushed Nintendo to literally bankruptcy.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Apr 17, 2019
Connecticut, USA
steamcommunity.com
gimme uncharted 4 on sale steam and ill abandon my ps5 save
I just finished replaying UC4+LL on my new 4090 rig at native 4K + 120HZ VRR and holy smokes it was good. It's kind of hilarious when you come across one of the very brief pre-rendered scenes they use to stitch the sequences together because of the 120 FPS down to 30 FPS whiplash.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Seems a leaker (no idea if they're credible) is hinting at Shin Megami Tensei V: Complete Edition. If real, it could explain why the PC version has yet to materialize. Would make sense to hold off if they're working on an update rerelease.
It's gonna be like Catherine and well get the vanilla version while the complete is vanilla only

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Seems a leaker (no idea if they're credible) is hinting at Shin Megami Tensei V: Complete Edition. If real, it could explain why the PC version has yet to materialize. Would make sense to hold off if they're working on an update rerelease.
So if this gets announced at a Direct how long will be before the release? If Atlus decides to release it in August or September with all the other big releases.... Please pick a better time ffs. Would make for an great July, Oct, Nov or Dec game.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
It's gonna be like Catherine and well get the vanilla version while the complete is vanilla only
So if this gets announced at a Direct how long will be before the release? If Atlus decides to release it in August or September with all the other big releases.... Please pick a better time ffs. Would make for an great July, Oct, Nov or Dec game.
So, Vanilla SMTV launching on PC in September, the week between Starfield and Phantom Liberty. :upside-down-face:

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: yuraya

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Tried a few games in Steam Next Fest. Played some excellent games, and some not-so-excellent games.

I'll start with the best and then go look at the rest.

The Best
Quality games well worth playing. I'll be getting these day 0.

Little Kitty, Big City

I have a bias for cats so maybe this is actually a bit mid but I'm enamoured by cats and collecting shit and climbing up walls all over town.

It's also a bit glitchy in places. But hey, it's an early demo.

I don't think the cat's controls or mannerisms are as convincing as Stray's, but the kitty has more of a personality too. I quite like the game's sense of humour too.

Unless it gets extremely negative reviews, I think I'll probably pick this up.

Sea of Stars

This is the highlight of Next Fest for me. I love the JRPG mechanics, the incredible pixel art, the gameplay loop is satisfying and the dungeon puzzles are enjoyable and don't overstay their welcome.

The controls are tight, the menus are satisfying to use, the soundtrack is authentically retro. Meanwhile, the narrative of what I saw doesn't take itself too seriously, and is actually quite funny. I get the feeling the writers on this game have done a few extremely lighthearted DnD campaigns with a good DM, because that's the vibe I'm getting from the cast of this.

I stuck this on my wishlist a while ago and thought it looked good, but not great. This demo has been a complete 180 on how I look at this game, and I'm gonna grab it day 1 now. Absolutely do yourself a favour and check this one out!

The Not-quite-best
These are games I probably won't buy, but I can appreciate they've got a lot going for them and you should check them out if it dings your dong.

The Cosmic Wheel of Sisterhood

There's some wild imagination going on here. Some really weird fucking tarot cards and multiple choices make for a really engaging game... for people who're in to witchy stuff and lots of vibes-based pixel art.

I'm not, so I'm probably gonna give it a miss, but there's a good-looking game here and I hope it finds an audience. Give it a go if the aesthetic and scenario is something you normally like.

LunarLux

A bit basic. I think there's a lot of great RPGs on Steam right now, so if you're gonna do one you have to up your game. I just don't think this game has the production values to carry it along.

But if you're the kind of person who consumes every RPG under the sun, there may be something here for you.

En Garde!

I didn't get on with the campiness, the aesthetic doesn't appeal to me and I'm generally not a fan of this kind of combat, but hey, there might be something there for someone. I don't know enough about these kinds of games to determine how good it is, but I definitely got the impression that a lot of people would like the combat in this.

The Rest
These are the games that suck, frankly.

Eternights

Garbage. Just garbage.

Inescapable: No Rules, No Rescue

I don't mind a cheesy visual novel and I always love a good "death game", but the voice acting in this game is horrendous. I barely lasted 5 minutes of horrible forced accents and the most generic anime art imaginable. Not for me.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I'm realizing that part of the reason Friends vs Friends is resonating so well with me is that it basically has all the same card game principles that standalone Gwent did. And I sunk way too much time into standalone Gwent.

• Games are split into short rounds, best-of-5 in FVF
  • Card draw is limited with you drawing cards each round
  • Cards have no "casting" requirements but have a point cost your deck can't exceed
  • Big part of winning is managing cards for good synergies and knowing when not to use too many

tetel

MetaMember
Jan 7, 2020
Inescapable: No Rules, No Rescue

I don't mind a cheesy visual novel and I always love a good "death game", but the voice acting in this game is horrendous. I barely lasted 5 minutes of horrible forced accents and the most generic anime art imaginable. Not for me.
Even if you get past the VA, it's just not good. I've managed to last 45 minutes before giving up - maybe there's a decent game there but the intro just isn't interesting and the cast is mostly 'we have one defining trait and we're gonna keep reminding you about it in every second line of our dialogue' which I despise with passion (and yet somehow it still wasn't as bad as Ubel - also an upcoming death game).

Reactions: C-Dub

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Is that King's Field?

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
As I said, this all sounds incredibly logical and obvious, which sadly means it will never happen, even it pushed Nintendo to literally bankruptcy.
If it did happen it won't be until years from now and only after a few more years of other Japanese publishers games selling very well on PC (Capcom would be the main demonstrator here) would you get investors to notice that other companies have started to port their stuff to PC and are making good money from it. If will take years of them pestering Nintendo buy eventually they
Will cave in, the way they did with mobile games and finally release one.

By the way, Nintendo never released Pokemon Unite on PC did they? Only on mobile and Switch? Otherwise,why not just release the TCG Live game on Steam.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

This was a pretty good video. I knew about some of the stuff he talks about but didn't know just how scummy destiny has gotten.

It's mind boggling how this game still has any success when so many other live service games do just about everything better. But then I have interactions with people who could be called destiny fans and they refuse to listen or acknowledge any of these points and keep defending the game and bungie. It really comes off as a cry for help at this point.

Hell the era thread about this had someone call destiny the best cost to content value ratio in the industry. Buddy if you think 4 hour $50 expansions, paid content that gets removed permanently, and $12 seasons that have next to no content and rely on grinding is the best value your head is going to explode if you ever play Genshin and see them drop a 50-100 hour whole-ass continent to explore entirely for free.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
Some short impressions:

It's that time of the year again.

Sea of Stars

The first demo I've tried and I loved every minute of it. The Sea of Stars demo has a nice pace and gives an overall idea of what the game is about, the animation are full of life, as expected from the makers of The Messenger. Having the 3 characters running around the levels gives some Secret of Mana vibe and the music fits perfectly in the game.

Nour: Play with Your Food

As the store says it's an experimental game, you spawn different kind of foods according with the level and can have different interactions with them. Each item has a sound assigned to it so you can kind of create some melodies, but nothing complex. There are some interactions that change some minor elements in the level. While the demo was quite short, it was fun to burn and hammer the food.
Luna Abyss

Even though I had it wishlisted I jumped totally blind as I didn't even remember when I put that game there and watching the trailer now I don't even remember it before lol.

So it's a FPS, and the enemies appeared only in certain places so you can explore and enjoy the vista, the combat was fun but the weapon definitely lacks some impact, the enemies attacks are all energy balls in different patterns and going by the store description they are going for the bullet hell combat.

Talking about visuals, it's looking really good, I may be a bit biased there as I like that aesthetic, but the red tone helped in setting the mood of the game for me. Overall the demo is short taking place in an underground location and it can give some idea of what they plan to do with the full game. Performance wise it wasn't the best as I had some stuttering though it was locked at 60fps.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
Bruh

It looks like you can get skins for the new Steam desktop client through the plugin loader made for Steam Deck, Decky.
I know there was an update at some point to make it work on Windows, but it doesn't seem like there's a way to actually install it... Hm. But installing skins should be easy, you don't even need to leave the Steam client.

EDIT: Maybe it's this, actually? Install - DeckThemes Docs

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Eternights

Garbage. Just garbage.
Would you mind elaborating on this? I've had it on my wishlist for a while. I could check for myself, and I usually really enjoy these demo fests, but for some reason I have no energy to try any this time around.

This was a pretty good video. I knew about some of the stuff he talks about but didn't know just how scummy destiny has gotten.

It's mind boggling how this game still has any success when so many other live service games do just about everything better. But then I have interactions with people who could be called destiny fans and they refuse to listen or acknowledge any of these points and keep defending the game and bungie. It really comes off as a cry for help at this point.

Hell the era thread about this had someone call destiny the best cost to content value ratio in the industry. Buddy if you think 4 hour $50 expansions, paid content that gets removed permanently, and $12 seasons that have next to no content and rely on grinding is the best value your head is going to explode if you ever play Genshin and see them drop a 50-100 hour whole-ass continent to explore entirely for free.
I dropped Destiny a couple of years ago and while I did know that they had started charging extra for some stuff (like dungeons), this video shows how they've taken it to a whole new level. If I were to guess, I would say that Bungie is realizing that Destiny has stopped growing or has slowed down at least, and now they are trying to extract as much money from their existing userbase as they can. I have no idea if the statistics back this up or not.

You're right about how insanely defensive the Destiny diehards are. The fact that Bungie was able to get away with deleting paid expansions from the game is insane. I remember the most common defense of this move at the time was that nobody actually goes to those planets anyway so it's not like you're losing out on anything. Completely ignoring the fact that it is Bungie who controls whether or not people have any reason to go there. They could have easily made those places relevant by putting events and seasonal content there but they didn't.

I'm glad I got out of the Destiny trap. I played the game for over 1000 hours but aside from some bright spots, I do not really look back on my time with that game fondly.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I never got into the Destiny. I tried it when it came to Steam and it was already hard to figure out things as a newcomer so I dropped it. It is now basically not possible to start playing that damn game as newcomer. Same thing with GTA Online. If you ever could play that damn thing solo now it is impossible and it is also too grindy.

Status
Not open for further replies.