Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Thats basically every multiplayer game as of today. As a player who doesn't have hours to sink in a live service every day i feel cutted off from every multiplayer game i tried to play in the last 5 years. I understand that im a case limit as I travel a lot for work but, for example, from one work to another I saw like 2 different season of Battlefield that went away without me noticing anything. It was brutal, in 2 month i lost a ton of content that was already unavailable.
Halo Infinite Is the only thing that keeps maintaining a level of sanity, but only because you can always recover the old battlepass, but even then you have seasonal content that are time limited because reasons.
As an avid CoD, BF, StarCraft player back in the 2010 i can safely say that the actual state of multiplayer games Is a complete bullshit. Its not anymore about skill but only about how much time you are willing to sink to meet their deadline. (Sounds like...work, uh?)
The problem with GAAS is that consumers are a just as guilty of it as publishers. It seems nowadays that people will literally drop your game in a flash unless you add new content to it infinitely, preferably at a fast pace. Used to be devs dropped a game, then a few patches, maybe map tools (talking mostly about FPS games here) and it was a done deal. I'm currently playing in a Call of Duty: United Offensive league (this is an expansion to the very first CoD, released 2004). People there are playing the same game for 19 years even though it didn't receive any new content since launch. They just made a bunch of maps and a mod (PAM) that makes slight changes to gameplay and introduces organization stuff (rounds, bo3/bo5 handling, etc.), and that's it.

If a dev tried that shit in 2023, people would play the game for a month maybe and then leave, citing lack of new content and getting bored. Consumers need a constant carrot on a stick to be engaged, otherwise they leave. That means constant revenue is required for the dev/publisher, and that means GAAS. Now, if every game has GAAS elements, you have no idea what people will be playing at the time. You want people to engage with GAAS elements in YOUR game, so you add FOMO elements, and here we are.

Personally, I think the trend of having a carrot on a stick in every game signifies a bigger problem - that the vast majority of games are either shit or at least very boring and uninspired, and it's only the FOMO and chasing carrot elements that trick people into playing them and thinking they're good. Dopamine from good gameplay is substituted by dopamine from level up/new unlock/new skin from battle pass or whatever.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Remnant : I heard you liked adds, my good sir ? Here are more adds. Adds everywhere.
Me : Who told you that ? I have someone to punch.
Remnant THONKING
Remnant : Maybe you can punch that person with a couple dozen of adds ?

Last edited:

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
The problem with GAAS is that consumers are a just as guilty of it as publishers. It seems nowadays that people will literally drop your game in a flash unless you add new content to it infinitely, preferably at a fast pace. Used to be devs dropped a game, then a few patches, maybe map tools (talking mostly about FPS games here) and it was a done deal. I'm currently playing in a Call of Duty: United Offensive league (this is an expansion to the very first CoD, released 2004). People there are playing the same game for 19 years even though it didn't receive any new content since launch. They just made a bunch of maps and a mod (PAM) that makes slight changes to gameplay and introduces organization stuff (rounds, bo3/bo5 handling, etc.), and that's it.

If a dev tried that shit in 2023, people would play the game for a month maybe and then leave, citing lack of new content and getting bored. Consumers need a constant carrot on a stick to be engaged, otherwise they leave. That means constant revenue is required for the dev/publisher, and that means GAAS. Now, if every game has GAAS elements, you have no idea what people will be playing at the time. You want people to engage with GAAS elements in YOUR game, so you add FOMO elements, and here we are.

Personally, I think the trend of having a carrot on a stick in every game signifies a bigger problem - that the vast majority of games are either shit or at least very boring and uninspired, and it's only the FOMO and chasing carrot elements that trick people into playing them and thinking they're good. Dopamine from good gameplay is substituted by dopamine from level up/new unlock/new skin from battle pass or whatever.
People expecting new things is true... but not really new either?
What has changed since the olden days is creation tools - players get fuck all for modding tools (and if possible at all it will be very arcane and veeeery much the most dedicated that will find modified versions and how to connect to private servers, etc), so if the developer don't come up with new things? Players certainly won't make their own DOTA modes and countless new maps and modes.

However note that all of that discussion is laser focused on the big AAA that get the marketing for a certain segment of the gaming population, the fabled "hardcore" that's now pushing 40 years old and posts on forums.
Because for the much, much larger market?
Creations tools are very much here, and juggernauts that shits on Call of Duty numbers have existed for ever - it's the Minecraft, Roblox, Garry's mod of the world, and they are gigantic and far more influential than COD, be it an old or a new one.
It's just the same as it was back in the day... with some antique games still being very much alive, good old Doom is one of the spiritual grandpappy of those games, and it's still ont the scene today, MyHouse.wad has been a huge success and a runaway phenomenon on social media like Youtube and Twitch just last quarter, Romero himself played it!

When people complain about GaaS, it's mostly about a specific fringe of games that has eaten itself alive for a long time, and I don't believe for a second that is has to do with quality, and all to do with players just getting killed by a thousand cuts because they like it... and also because they don't know any better.
The average 30 something year old that played Call of Duty when he was younger? I have zero doubts that they're still saying that Roblox is a game for babies like they did 15+ years ago.

And they don't intend to change while the rest of the industry has moved on, there's a reason why people think fake E3 and whatever AAAA that sells 10M copies is a "big deal" while countless games make more money than that in a week - GaaS are very common, but the immense majority of them were established as such, and have communities going with them.
While the more recent ones trying to catch up and that dedicated hardcore" website will complain about are the 79.99+39.99+39.99+MTX+Battle Pass ones. The rest are celebrated because the GaaS is the intent and people are very attached to their communities, making art of the games, making new maps, etc, a GaaS is more than a regular stream of mediocre content, but the largely console focused and very AAA space has not really seen it yet.

Reactions: lashman

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Another interesting Cain video, Tim also mentions how mad he was when he said in interview that Outer Worlds was gonna be on Steam, only for Private Division to sign EGS exclusivity without ever even asking or telling him (or Obsidian) about it, thus making him a "liar"

Also interesting note about how some people with zero experience apply to game companies for positions of directors, because they worked on school projects and their professors told them that's enough to apply for director roles...

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
About AMD sponsored games often not having DLSS/XeSS:

AMD's response: they pretty much evade the question and say that there are games that only have DLSS.
NVidia's response: they say that they don't block competitors technologies and that NVidia's Streamline technology makes it easier to implement competitors upscaling techs.

EDIT: Oh, the original article was posted here in this topic yesterday, but I didn't realize that the AMD and NVidia responses were from that original article as well, I thoguht the responses were new. xd

Last edited:
  • Toucan
Reactions: C-Dub and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Another interesting Cain video, Tim also mentions how mad he was when he said in interview that Outer Worlds was gonna be on Steam, only for Private Division to sign EGS exclusivity without ever even asking or telling him (or Obsidian) about it, thus making him a "liar"

Also interesting note about how some people with zero experience apply to game companies for positions of directors, because they worked on school projects and their professors told them that's enough to apply for director roles...
Interesting, thanks for posting that.

About AMD sponsored games often not having DLSS/XeSS:

AMD's response: they pretty much evade the question and say that there are games that only have DLSS.
NVidia's response: they say that they don't block competitors technologies and that NVidia's Streamline technology makes it easier to implement competitors upscaling techs.
I mean, unless you are dedicated to always take AMD's word for everything and always believe the opposite of what NV says (and there are several people like that out there on the tech-discussing internet, sadly), I feel like this has been pretty obvious for a while.

Nvidia know that they have the better image reconstruction technology, so they are not opposed to games implementing both and letting people choose (and compare!).

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

I started watching his channel a week or 2 ago, and I'm hooked. Lots of great stories!

Jadax

MetaMember
Oct 25, 2018
Currently a sale on bnet, anyone know if the starcraft remastered cartoon thing is worth getting or only the remastered?

• Clean Seal
Reactions: lashman

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
So Starfield is the first Steam game I saw that listed SSD as Required even at Min. spec.

Then I nabbed Shadow Gambit demo (most anticipated from Next Fest) and noticed the same thing.

Ruh-roh.

Being an HDD plebe with an aging gaming laptop I decided it was time to take action.

I'm speculatively planning for a full hardware refresh sometime this Fall, perhaps during Black Friday sales, but I started feeling like a Band-Aid solution was in order. So I started shopping for portable SSDs. Perhaps that'll help me limp over the finish line when I land a new laptop.

Samsung T7 looked to review well, was an Amazon's Choice (lol) and way cheaper than I expected at $83 for 1 TB.

Then I noticed the 2 TB was only slightly more expensive @ $114. Sure let's go with that.

So imagine my surprise when the package arrived and it's the upgraded version T7 Shield that launched this past Jan. And the real kicker is that it wasn't the 2 TB model but the 4 TB $260 model!

Couldn't believe it. I looked at the Amazon UPC sticker on the box and it was a sticker for the T7 2 TB. So they essentially put the wrong sticker on the 4 TB model. Checked my billing record and yup, I was only charged for the 2 TB.

So I wound up with a pretty sweet piece of tech that I can actually use on my next laptop. 4 TB of overhead feels pretty amazing.

Wonder if I should just cut & paste my entire HDD Steam library root folder directly over to the SSD, lol.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
MGS Master Collection confirmed for Switch. That makes me optimistic for Steam but holy fuck why are they dragging this out so much?! :weary-face:

Also, turns out it includes those shitty NES versions of the first two games. That's actually awesome lol. The fact that it even includes obscure stuff like digital comic books also makes me hopeful for stuff like Ghost Babel and the Acid games being included in a future collection.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I can't believe that the Super Mario RPG remake is real. How can it be? Renewed graphics, cinematics, and character models, and of course Shimomura music. Holy shit 2023 please stop (or don't) going so HARD.

Also going to pick up tons of other games shown in the direct for sure. Finally be able to play Metal Gear on steam!

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
There you go (timestamped):
From the creators of Timed Exclusives™, we bring you, Platform Reveal Exclusivity™, such nonsense lol. But I'm thrilled to finally have MGS3 native on PC after 19 years, along with the other 2 games which are all-time great games. Hopefully, this collection is not going to be $60, and I hope MGS4 comes in Vol. 2.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I don't really care much about platform reveal exclusivity. It's dumb, but ultimately harmless.

I can't wait to see the Sony fanboy mental gymnastics to justify Sony doing it with MGS1-3 as opposed to Microsoft doing it with Persona 3 Reload.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
JFC, why no Switch 2, Nintendo ?
I swear I'm not posting this to be down on the Direct, it's the fucking contrary. It rained interesting games. And I would very much prefer to not have to buy another Switch :so-good-blob:

A Super Mario RPG that doesn't make you cry tears of blood :cat-pizza-blob:

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Really this platform reveal exclusivity needs to stop. It's pathetic at so many levels.
I can get the other platforms logos don't show during trailer show, it's obvious, but just when the show ends keep the unknown makes no sense if there's no real exclusivity deal.
Even when some games just show PC logo but no Steam/EGS/etc...

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
I swear I'm not posting this to be down on the Direct, it's the fucking contrary. It rained interesting games. And I would very much prefer to not have to buy another Switch :so-good-blob:

Nintendo will make it abundantly clear when they're announcing their new system. They will literally say beforehand that they're going to show off their new console because they know people will tune in for it. Doing a shadow surprise of a new console at a 40 minute 2023 Direct is tantamount to lunacy from a marketing perspective.

So don't go into any Direct where they don't say they're going to announce a new Switch expecting them to announce a new Switch.

In fact, since they've started using the Direct format, they've never announced a new generation of system at one.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

Nintendo said no new hardware in this fiscal year

Which sucks. All we can do is wait.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Star Ocean The Second Story R is coming to Steam:

Dragon Quest Monsters is Switch exclusive.
I'll buy it, but mostly because I like the franchise. I found Star Ocean 2 itself to be pretty mid. Shame that we aren't getting the first one.

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Has Konami detailed anything about the MGS collection, specifically how the Solid games are being done? As in, native or emulated? I suppose MGS1 could be based on the original PC version from way back, and 2 and 3 could be based on the PS360 remasters.

Would be nice to know.

fokkusu

Burn baby burn🔥🎵
Dec 9, 2018
PS3 HD collection MGS1 was PS1 emulated version from PSN store so probably here same low effort as well.

Reactions: Parsnip

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Has Konami detailed anything about the MGS collection, specifically how the Solid games are being done? As in, native or emulated? I suppose MGS1 could be based on the original PC version from way back, and 2 and 3 could be based on the PS360 remasters.

Would be nice to know.
I'm mostly curious about MGS1, yeah. I really hope it's a brand new port. IIRC the old one has some issues. I'm probably hoping for too much here but a brand new port with support for unlocked framerates and arbitrary resolutions would be fantastic. The footage they've shown so far is super low res, though. I'm expected an emulated version. :/ Wonder if it'll even have achievements if that's the case.

Reactions: Parsnip
Status
Not open for further replies.