Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
Didn't MGS3 have some super-stupid control scheme where you only "sneaked" silently if you used the digital arrow keypad, even if you could walk at the exact same speed by lightly touching the stick.
So if you forgot this fact, the enemies always could hear you, but you got no feedback to what you were doing wrong.

Combine that with the original top down camera (made for the smaller rooms of MGS1 and MGS2) that absolutely didn't work when enemies could spot you a mile away without you being able to see them.

The new camera added in Subsistence was a desperately needed addition.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Didn't MGS3 have some super-stupid control scheme where you only "sneaked" silently if you used the digital arrow keypad, even if you could walk at the exact same speed by lightly touching the stick.
So if you forgot this fact, the enemies always could hear you, but you got no feedback to what you were doing wrong.

Combine that with the original top down camera (made for the smaller rooms of MGS1 and MGS2) that absolutely didn't work when enemies could spot you a mile away without you being able to see them.

The new camera added in Subsistence was a desperately needed addition.
The walking speeds weren’t exactly the same.

Walking slowly was good if you needed to sneak at distance past an enemy or group of enemies.

Stalking (walking with the d-pad) was useful if you were going in for a stealth attack or moving in extremely close proximity to an enemy, but it was about 20% slower too.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Valve was ahead of the curve for years. I'd bet dollars to donuts the biggest publishers on Steam (EA, MS, Activision and maybe Sony) get an automatic 80/20 cut without having to reach any sales milestone.

Parody account but I was going to buy Tactica and now I'm going to buy Mario RPG and wait for a Steam sale of Tactica.
I'm a massive Persona 5 fan and I'm still playing Mario RPG first. Maybe if best girl Kawakami a cameo I would be compelled to play Tactica first.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Valve was ahead of the curve for years. I'd bet dollars to donuts the biggest publishers on Steam (EA, MS, Activision and maybe Sony) get an automatic 80/20 cut without having to reach any sales milestone.
Most likely yet undisclosed (and never will)

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
is out:

I'm curious if is there a way to get just Plus content cause when you try to purchase that DLC, Steam warns about "re-purchase"
  • Sonic Origins - Premium Fun Pack
  • Sonic Origins - Classic Music Pack
or this warning is just a license issue. :/

Last edited:
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Is Sonic Origins in a better state than at launch ? I seem to recall some bad feedback from the fans.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
Pressing it slightly would put a knife to his throat to interrogate him and pressing harder would slit his throat.
Don't worry, I won't hurt y... Oops, I pressed 1 Newton too hard; my bad.
The first two MGS games have a fixed camera. These are old, arcade-y games with a top-down camera like this most of the time:
Yeah, I was arguing mostly for MGS3 which, to my understanding, has a free 3rd person camera, like MGS5 and tons of others.

I'd certainly argue on general grounds that providing some level of M&K support is expected from a port regardless. Do your job of thoughtfully adapting the product to the conventions and limitations of the platform, including input devices, and let users sort out which they prefer.

Funny you should mention Splinter Cell, though. Your walking speed is based on how much pressure you're applying to the analog stick, and controlling your speed is key in that game. On PC they have you controlling your walking speed with the mouse wheel.
I completely forgot about that! It's been a while.

I mostly feel like it would be uncomfortable to play on a keyboard. Then again, I prefer to use a controller most of the time so chances are you'd be fine with it. :shrugblob:
I have a feeling it boils down to that.

Let's say I'm level 100 on keyboard and level 1 on controller.

Let's say the game is objectively only 80% effective/comfortable on KB and 100% on controller: it boils down to me being lvl 80 on KB and lvl 1 on controller. I'll still choose KB. A user equally familiar with both will choose controller every time.

The first step is for the port to implement both, so we can choose.

Anyway, I hope that was somewhat coherent. I'm super tired and edited this a bunch before posting. I really need to be heading to bed...
I think it was, thank you. My previous message was typed at 4am, and I don't have time to proofcheck this one because I need to go back to work now, so the same disclaimer applies.

Censored

I didn't delete that post!. Get my post back!.
Oct 8, 2021
Is Sonic Origins in a better state than at launch ? I seem to recall some bad feedback from the fans.
this is what was fixed with post launch patch (from june to august 2022)

Sonic Origins Update 1.4.0 Patch Notes Fixes:
Game crashing issues
Issues with Tails’ AI
Sound bugs Menu and controller issues
Museum miscredits
Data saving issues

there wasn't more patches until this new update 2.0:
Additional button configurations for wireless controllers via Options.
A new route was added to some Zones in Sonic CD’s Anniversary Mode.
The web manual can be viewed offline via the Title Screen.
Bug fixes

I didn't have major issues with the game but I played it less than two hours.

Reactions: Li Kao

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
Yeah, it's in a better state than at launch, but seems like some issues still remain.
I won't be able to try it until later today, but, from what I heard, I think the most notable issues for me are:
  • Music and sound effects are still kinda muffled in Sonic 3 & Knuckles;
  • Blurry graphics quality when the anti-aliasing option is turned on, though, the mod that injects the Sonic Mania filters still works with the update.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Nah, I doubt that.

• This!
Reactions: MJunioR

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
That's an odd claim since people play them with leverless controllers that are basically keyboards with less keys, why would anyone say that you can't play them with a keyboard.
Fully agreed; that's the reason I ultimately resisted the urge to buy a stick or hitbox.

But that's a claim I saw quite often: this one is typical of the arguments that I recall:

some guy on steam https://steamcommunity.com/app/389730/discussions/0/1291817837621205764/#c1291817837621305710 said:
This game is not designed to be played effectively with keyboard. So you will be at a huge disadvantage especially against a high level player using a controller or joystick. Some moves with strict executions like EWGF or OTFG will be very difficult to execute with keyboard. If you will play casually not competitively you might be able to get away with it just fine though.
Fortunately these days I think those opinions are minority (as seen in the linked topic); but I don't think that was the case when I was researching this, years before Tekken 7 came out on PC --- I was emulating Tekken 3. I'm not even sure Hitboxes existed back then.

The one thing the Tekken3 on PC adventure did change my mind about was the necessity of a proper gaming keyboard. That's how I learned, the hard way, that key rollover was a thing, among other limitations of your typical membrane office keyboard.

(I don't know if the same arguments entirely apply to Street Fighter, where I see a lot of quarter and half circles moves; I don't play SF and I don't know what players use, so...)

Reactions: curi0usBystander

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
(I don't know if the same arguments entirely apply to Street Fighter, where I see a lot of quarter and half circles moves; I don't play SF and I don't know what players use, so...)
Those motions have shortcuts, so it absolutely can work on keyboard as well. Instead of quarter-circle forward, you can do down -> down-forward -> forward and it works fine. Plenty of SF players use a Hitbox.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Man, the fact that IGN and now PC Gamer are reporting as fact that MGS4 is going to be rereleased is fucking wild. I'm optimistic and those placeholder buttons on the website give me hope but it's so far from a sure thing. I kinda hope they know something we don't because otherwise reporting it as fact is so fucking stupid lol.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Man, the fact that IGN and now PC Gamer are reporting as fact that MGS4 is going to be rereleased is fucking wild. I'm optimistic and those placeholder buttons on the website give me hope but it's so far from a sure thing. I kinda hope they know something we don't because otherwise reporting it as fact is so fucking stupid lol.
Me too I'm inhaling copium hard. A Vol.2 collection with MGS4, Peace Walker, Portable Ops, Ghost Babel and the Acid games would be amazing (Revengenace and mgsv could be part of the collection but that's not really hype from a PC perspective since we already have those games on Steam)

I was really surprised that they added Snake's Revenge and NES Metal Gear to Vol.1, so adding obscure games like the Acid games doesn't sound that crazy.

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Reading some of the reviews for FF16, it looks like the game indulges in my worst fears for it.

Dull world to explore, overly serious/po-faced story that falls apart at the end, and missing that something special that has been weaved through the best games in the series.

Still no regrets about selling my PS5, and quite frankly I think I'm probably gonna skip the eventual PC version too.

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I get the feeling at least one person on here might know: Why are games shifting to using DirectX 12 when it seems to be the onus behind a lot of bad PC ports? I'm guessing Microsoft is pushing it in some way.

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I get the feeling at least one person on here might know: Why are games shifting to using DirectX 12 when it seems to be the onus behind a lot of bad PC ports? I'm guessing Microsoft is pushing it in some way.
I'm curious to hear about this too. But I imagine it has something to do with the fact that using DX12 or Vulkan makes porting to and from modern consoles easier, and that DX12 (or Vulkan) has new features and graphical effects that modern games rely on.

Plus I'm not so sure it's easy to just plant the blame squarely on DX12. There seems to be issues with how developers utilise DX12 versus having a lot of things taken out of their hands with DX11.

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
At the very least, RTX is only on DX12, no? Whether MS forced Nvidia to do this, it's possible no?

I wonder if the API calls of DX12 might be more similar to modern Xbox API calls?

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
Me too I'm inhaling copium hard. A Vol.2 collection with MGS4, Peace Walker, Portable Ops, Ghost Babel and the Acid games would be amazing (Revengenace and mgsv could be part of the collection but that's not really hype from a PC perspective since we already have those games on Steam)

I was really surprised that they added Snake's Revenge and NES Metal Gear to Vol.1, so adding obscure games like the Acid games doesn't sound that crazy.
I don't necessarily expect MGS4 in Vol 2. If they actually put in the (surely non-trivial) amount of work necessary to get it out of PS3 jail, then I think they'd be justified in selling it on its own at a higher price. Which would line up with leakers that claim it's not in Vol 2.

At the very least, I think people expecting PW, MGS4 and MGS5 in a Vol. 2 are fucking high. Best case scenario, we get the PSP games (Portable Ops, Peace Walker and the Acid games) and Ghost Babel. Maybe Rising as well although personally I wouldn't really care if it's not in there since it's already available on PC. MGSV is already available on modern platforms, so it doesn't need to be included either.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Reading some of the reviews for FF16, it looks like the game indulges in my worst fears for it.

Dull world to explore, overly serious/po-faced story that falls apart at the end, and missing that something special that has been weaved through the best games in the series.

Still no regrets about selling my PS5, and quite frankly I think I'm probably gonna skip the eventual PC version too.
I’m having a ton of fun with it. I’m glad FF7R and XVI are really linear honestly. So tired of bloated open world games, let me just focus on the story, music and gameplay.

But god I hope the PC port is good. The crazy set pieces in this game are gonna look so good at native 4k 60fps

Reactions: C-Dub and Arc

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018
I'm curious to hear about this too. But I imagine it has something to do with the fact that using DX12 or Vulkan makes porting to and from modern consoles easier, and that DX12 (or Vulkan) has new features and graphical effects that modern games rely on.

Plus I'm not so sure it's easy to just plant the blame squarely on DX12. There seems to be issues with how developers utilise DX12 versus having a lot of things taken out of their hands with DX11.
From what I understand looking at release stuff for DirectX 12, the biggest thing Microsoft pushes outside of RT is performance enhancing tech like VRS and Sampler Feedback. Stuff that doesn't matter if the people working with it aren't tech wizards that can properly leverage the API.

And the way developers appear to be struggling with the new API is my point. If developers are having problems, why aren't we seeing releases that have DirectX 11 as an option like we did a few years back?

At the very least, RTX is only on DX12, no? Whether MS forced Nvidia to do this, it's possible no?

I wonder if the API calls of DX12 might be more similar to modern Xbox API calls?
Allegedly, the DirectX 12 API is supposed to be unified on PC and Xbox, according to whatever the fuck this is supposed to mean;
By unifying the graphics platform across PC and Xbox Series X, DX12 Ultimate serves as a force multiplier for the entire gaming ecosystem. No longer do the cycles operate independently! Instead, they now combine synergistically: when Xbox Series X releases, there will already be many millions of DX12 Ultimate PC graphics cards in the world with the same feature set, catalyzing a rapid adoption of new features, and when Xbox Series X brings a wave of new console gamers, PC will likewise benefit from this vast surge of new DX12 Ultimate capable hardware!

The result? An adrenaline shot to new feature adoption, groundbreaking graphics in the hands of gamers more quickly than ever before!
Legit sounds like it was written by an alien. It really feels like the exact opposite of this is what happened, the release of the new Xbox and transition into 9th-gen only games has made things worse for PC gaming, not better.

I mean, Rising could do with a re-port. Make it so it doesn't pitch a fit if your monitor's connected with HDMI.

Last edited:

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I think its really simple for Konami. If they port MGS4 then Vol.2 will sell a lot more than without it. Depending how good of a port it it we are talking millions of additional sales across all platforms so dozens if not hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue. I think the people working there have to understand that it would be well worth it. And on top of it all MGS4 is one of the biggest and most ambitiously ridiculous game ever made. Its an important title even if it is the worst MGS game. It deserves to be played by more than the people who played it back in 2008. The franchise is so old they will be introducing these games to a lot of new young gamers so its important people have easy access to MGS4.

I think with Nintendo on board now....Vol. 2 will be MGS4, Peace Walker and Twin Snakes. I think that will put asses in seats and Konami can take their sweet time with those games too. Do whatever you gotta do to make sure the ports are right. All the games in Vol. 1 will keep people busy for the time being.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

I'm enjoying it, but I can already tell it will be, at best, in the middle of the pack for personal favorites in the series. The combat feels like playing a watered down Nero from Devil May Cry (which makes sense as one of the DMC combat designers worked on the game), the world is flat, the itemization is boring and the side quests are absolutely not worth the time.

I can say I love the cast so far and Clive may wind up being my favorite FF protagonist. Jill and Cid are also great supporting characters. The story intrigues me so far so reading that it falls apart in the final act is disappointing.

It's good, but it probably isn't even in the top 5 best games I've played this year so far, and with the second half of 2023 being absolutely packed, it might not even make my top 10.

Reactions: C-Dub and Arsene

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
I'm enjoying it, but I can already tell it will be, at best, in the middle of the pack for personal favorites in the series. The combat feels like playing a watered down Nero from Devil May Cry (which makes sense as one of the DMC combat designers worked on the game), the world is flat, the itemization is boring and the side quests are absolutely not worth the time.

I can say I love the cast so far and Clive may wind up being my favorite FF protagonist. Jill and Cid are also great supporting characters. The story intrigues me so far so reading that it falls apart in the final act is disappointing.

It's good, but it probably isn't even in the top 5 best games I've played this year so far, and with the second half of 2023 being absolutely packed, it might not even make my top 10.
Important to note that Side Quests with a + icon instead of a ! are actually worth doing as they usually unlock stuff like chocobo riding. You’d save yourself a lot of trouble ignoring the ! ones tho lol

Reactions: Arc

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Twin Snakes ain’t ever leaving GameCube. And thank god for that!

Volume 2 will probably be MGS4, Peace Walker and MGSV. So for all intents and purposes, they’ll be bundling the PC version of MGSV with the other two games and not giving owners a bundle discount.

Then again I didn’t think they’d bring over Snake’s Revenge so I guess anything can happen. Man that game sucked (the only MG game worse was the C64 version of Metal Gear). I remember I ripped on that game once on my MGS fan site and members of the Snake’s Revenge forum on GameFAQs sent me death threats.

Reactions: Arsene and Kal1m3r0

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

Honestly a lot of the fears I had when it was announced that the XIV team was taking over ended up being real.

The areas are completely empty with no point to them other than the quests you have....that's an issue in XIV too, it has some of the most lifeless zones ever even for MMO standards.

The side quests are generic fetch quest stuff of the worst kind....that's a XIV issue too. What I mean by worst kind is you can have a fetch quest and still tie it into the story and have it make SOME sense, but what 16 does is literally "go fetch 4 piles of dirt for me". I'm not kidding that's an actual quest.

I've obviously had issues with the DMC style system too but my bigger fault with it is that it took away party members. If they could have found a way to still have a cast of characters with this combat system I would have put up with it much better, and it also would have kept things more interesting because being stuck with 1 guy and a handful of abilities for upwards of 70 hours is gonna be tedium incarnate. Even more so when there are barely any RPG systems in this game, even fewer than something like GOW Ragnarok.

Status
Not open for further replies.