Community MetaSteam | June 2023 - halfway through the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
When I played P3 and then P3Fes I just never had the same feeling, and the same now with P3P (I'm still having fun though like I always did)
What you describe was my big issue with P3P on the Deck, and it's also the reason I will not check out the remake, unless there are some major changes form the older games. Coming from Persona 2, P3 was just incredibly boring. The social links feels super anaemic content wise, and the fucking plot just hits the pause button at some point and refuses to continue until near the end. I actually liked the story, once the game decided to free me from the simulation hell and let me enjoy the story. It wasn't nearly as good and engaging as either Persona 2, but it was ok.

I really hope P4 is better with its pacing, because that's the big thing that killed P3P for me.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
So, we have a close family member's birthday coming up and this time we're going for a group gift, so I need some help from the experts.

Do any of you know of any good arcade fight sticks (I think that's the name) and preferably that ships to Europe?

(And if any of you know any good vinyl players that don't go into the super expensive territory, that would be greatly appreciated)

Yes, Metacouncil is my blog and my shopping assistant. :cat-heart-blob:
Fwiw, the last time I looked into Fight Sticks I noticed the relatively cheap 8bitdo and Mayflash F500. There is also the notably pricier F500 Elite with Sanwa buttons. Those are just suggestions and I may be asking for more than the gift recipient, and I'm in no way a pro.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I am somewhere half way through Mass Effect 3. It is enjoyable but really too similar to previous games. I know it's trilogy and things should be similar but there really is not that big of a jump compared to other games in the series. i mean if we compare jump from Fallen Order to Jedi Survivor that i am also currently playing it is night and day difference. Yes Respawn had like 1 year more to develop it (2 years for ME3 and 3 years for Jedi Survivor) but still BioWare could have done more. But ME3 is not that bad so far and it is enjoyable, especially because i am playing it on Deck and it works amazing there, so it is easy to play mission or two before going to sleep.

• Eyes
Reactions: Stevey and yuraya

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
As C-Dub mentioned, ABK wants to sell, and among the very short list of entities with the wherewithal to buy it, Microsoft is pretty much the least bad of all the choices. Tencent? The Saudis?

Consider the following effects of Microsoft picking up ABK:

1) It helps keep MS competitive vs. Sony. Not hamstringing SIE's ability to compete, because even post merger they will remain a pretty clear no. 1. But there would at least be enough wiggle room for Xbox to remain relevant, and retain a respectable amount of market share, thus keeping PlayStation on its toes.

As it is, SIE is getting away with leveraging its market position to secure timed exclusives (which also affects PC customers like us) at minimal cost, because in the event of a day and date launch the majority of customers would be buying the PS5 version anyway. So they have to pay less to get these deals signed.

2. It guarantees a baseline level of profitability for the Xbox division for the foreseeable future. Each division of MS essentially operates independent businesses; if a certain business really shits the bed, it's possible that MS seniors decide to change course entirely. Having ABK around ensures that the Xbox gaming unit gets recurring annual income from CoD (in a non-exclusive capacity, so including Playstation SKU sales), WoW and Candy Crush.

Just to be clear, I'm primarily a Steam/PC customer, and on the console side I historically buy PlayStation and Nintendo consoles (the XSX is my first Xbox). This isnt plastic box BS, but mere pragmatism.

I understand your concern - I lived through Embrace Extend Extinguish, and Games for Windows Live, so I'm well aware of Microsoft's less than sterling reputation. But I am certain that the worst thing that could possibly happen, for all of us, is Sony running entirely uncontested. A competitive Xbox, even just as a foil for Sony, benefits us all.
Well reasoned reply. I hope you didn't feel like I was calling you out. I have seen that sentiment elsewhere as well, so it wasn't anything personal.

Of course Sony getting some real competition is good for video games as a whole, I just wish there was a different way to have it happen. Overall I think I'd prefer Microsoft, Sony and several other companies be forced to divest all these studios they've gobbled up and make new entities out of them. But there's no chance that happens. If the US government can't be bothered to break up actual massive monopolies (Ticketmaster) what hope so we have in one of the few industries that has more than 1 player.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I am somewhere half way through Mass Effect 3. It is enjoyable but really too similar to previous games. I know it's trilogy and things should be similar but there really is not that big of a jump compared to other games in the series. i mean if we compare jump from Fallen Order to Jedi Survivor that i am also currently playing it is night and day difference. Yes Respawn had like 1 year more to develop it (2 years for ME3 and 3 years for Jedi Survivor) but still BioWare could have done more. But ME3 is not that bad so far and it is enjoyable, especially because i am playing it on Deck and it works amazing there, so it is easy to play mission or two before going to sleep.
The ME trilogy was the dated UE3 PS360 era trilogy. Those games sadly all too similar and limited by hardware. Andromeda was supposed to be their big ambitious next gen ME game but it turned out to be a mess. Its good that EA made the Legendary edition but they needed to do it much earlier. Like right after ME3 came out.

Looking back at it now they should have turned Anthem into a Mass Effect game. Maybe fused it together with Andromeda to make a true next gen rpg. Exploring new planets Iron Man style would have been fun.

BioWare is just not on the same level as Respawn. Or Rocksteady for that matter who was able to make a true next gen Batman game with Knight after the PS360 era.

It seems like the Dev team is always spread very thin. I'm not expecting Dreadwolf to be much different from Inquisition either.

The next Mass Effect has potential tho since it will probably be on new next gen console hardware. I think they will take their time with it and make it really good/unique.

ZKenir

MetaMember
May 10, 2019
Andromeda has the best combat of all the games imho, and yeah they should have implemented the flying gameplay from anthem into ME andromeda, would have been cool.
At least they'll probably use it in the Iron Man game.

• This!
Reactions: Lashley

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019
Andromeda was such a massive waste of potential. You literally had an already established universe with lore, social dynamics and factions to develop in a completely new setting. You have the opportunity to reestablish so many things too: first contact, all the possibilities that the new frontier branch of sci-fi gives you, open exploration, settlement establishing and discoveries as exotic as your imagination allows, room for a variety of new alien races...

...and you pissed away everything to go back to the same tired well, rush through the interesting bits with the blandest, most boring (And actively annoying) protagonist and cast you can imagine.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Soon time to actually play ToTK, Diablo 4 and FF16. Been a few games I wanted to finish/retire before I touched them, now I have Chained Echoes and Cross Code left.

Reactions: QFNS

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I really loved P5S, it doesn't get enough credit. Since the characters and their powers are already established the story hits the ground running and is much better paced than P5. And the variety of locations you visit is so much better than spending the whole game in the same city, the road trip concept is awesome (and was actually going to be used in P5 originally).

Reactions: C-Dub

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
P5S is kind of the perfect sequel, really.

You can't do another Persona game with those characters in the same city, so why not send them on a road trip? It's a great follow up and more people should play it.

Panda Pedinte

Best Sig Maker on the board!
Sep 20, 2018
This Steam Next Fest was an overall positive experience for me. I discovered some interesting games, tried others that I wasn't quite interested and they jumped to the top of my wishlist.

Last batch of impressions:

Born of Bread

A turn base RPG where you play as a boy made of bread, the combat is like the Mario RPG series where pressing the button at the right time you can inflict more damage. The setting is silly and it's colorful so this is a good one to pay attention.

Genopanic

A metroidvania, after finishing the demo it opens a challenge and gives a nice idea of what weapons and abilities you'll get through the game. It may be good.

El Paso, Elsewhere

A mix of Max Payne and the movie From Dusk till Dawn. The demo had 3 levels and going by the bits of the story they seem to take place in the same hotel. It played quite well and the songs were bangers so it's another game to pay close attention.

The Cosmic Wheel Sisterhood

I jumped in without knowing what to expect, and the demo made quite curious about where the game is going. Who could've guessed that creating your own set of tarot cards could be this fun?

Captain Wayne - Vacation Desperation

Another boomer shooter, but I felt it was a bit too fast for me, maybe I was too tired dive into it but for fans of boomer shooter give it try just keep in mind that the game is hard.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Rolled credits in Pathfinder: WotR.

I might replay the end section to see if I can get a different ending just to see how different the endings are, but overall, it was a good time.
CRPGs like that are pretty few and far between, and say what you will about the game system (it is VERY old feeling and super duper crunchy), this is a system I've known for years through pen and paper and other video games so it was pretty familiar to me. That said, I had to optimize pretty hard by the end, and thankfully the game lets you respec pretty easily and if it doesn't there is an extremely useful mod (which I'd recommend people use anyway, Toybox) which lets do whatever you want. On the CRPG end it was good. The plot continues building as it goes and of course in games like this that means you're gonna end up fighting demigods, gods, and other fantastical beings by the end. They did a good job of setting all that up and paying it off.

I see what people meant when they said the Crusade was kinda tedious. At the end it became a downright hassle. Not due to difficulty, I had kicked ass in that mode the whole game, but due to boredom. I was just waiting out days. Really not a great use of time there.

Ok so the ending of this game is bananas already normally. You're fighting demon lords who have their own planes in the Abyss and the semi-immortal person who started off this whole quest in the first place. Feels like standard stakes for this type of game at the end. But then they throw this insane curveball at you that is you were supposed to be the reincarnation of this demi-god's child AND the hints to this are super fucking obtuse. Like I fail to see how anyone could find this out without datamining the game. I followed a guide so I could do it, but without it must be impossible. So many things require hindsight and are poorly explained at the tiime. Heck many are poorly explained LATER, even if they do explain them somewhat. Really really poor execution on that part.

Separately the ending battes really do step the difficulty up a notch which is nice for once, but sadly in this system that just means enemies that are nigh-invincible unless you know they're coming. So its save, die, pre-buff to the moon, use all your cooldowns and THEN hope you don't get crit. Thgat's not really an indictment of the enemy design so much as it is a problem with this RPG system when the numbers scale so high, you better ALSO be scaling your numbers or you have no chance. Thankfully quickload works quite well lol.

Now for my rant about the ending open the spoiler tab, but overall I really liked it. This year is shaping up to have a ton more good RPGs coming out. SMRPG remaster, Suikoden 1+2, Baludr's fucking Gate 3, Sea of Stars, Trails into Reverie, and I'm sure there's more. its really going to be a full year for RPG folks so it was nice to clear off this backlog item. Only took me 125+ hours. Sheesh.

Looks like Trails into Reverie is probably releasing soonest, then either BG3 or Sea of Stars. Whew. Lots of RPGs to play, so little time.

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
I thought I was going crazy. I hadn't used the new Steam overlay and when I was playing Isaac it would play the trailer from a store page I opened through chat earlier which opened fine on the client but also opened 5 windows in the Steam overlay. It just kept playing the trailers over and over again while I played and I could not figure out what the hell was going on. Computer restart, muted the game and it was driving my crazy.

New overlay is sick though.

Also randomly is everyone's back button on Steam a little finnicky? Sometimes it doesn't load a page or misses a page in its history.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
The ME trilogy was the dated UE3 PS360 era trilogy. Those games sadly all too similar and limited by hardware. Andromeda was supposed to be their big ambitious next gen ME game but it turned out to be a mess. Its good that EA made the Legendary edition but they needed to do it much earlier. Like right after ME3 came out.

Looking back at it now they should have turned Anthem into a Mass Effect game. Maybe fused it together with Andromeda to make a true next gen rpg. Exploring new planets Iron Man style would have been fun.

BioWare is just not on the same level as Respawn. Or Rocksteady for that matter who was able to make a true next gen Batman game with Knight after the PS360 era.

It seems like the Dev team is always spread very thin. I'm not expecting Dreadwolf to be much different from Inquisition either.

The next Mass Effect has potential tho since it will probably be on new next gen console hardware. I think they will take their time with it and make it really good/unique.
Well we got other trilogies in that frame time like Uncharted or Batman duology, that got bigger jumps in gameplay and overall design.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
This week, june 30th, releases this:
Im just so goddamn down for more Kodaka.
I bought a fucking Vita to play Danganronpa, i won't mind playing it in switch unless it already works great on Yuzu right away

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Ok, that card is silly on many levels, but the PCB orientation is really cool.
Will be very interesting to see how the cooling performs.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
Jesus.

The cooling mechanisms are getting so big now they can reorient the board.

I don’t wanna think about price. £3000?

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Finished Days Gone. It was a fun, albeit repetitive ride. I feel it needed some other gameplay element to add some variety. Riding the bike is one of the most fun ways of traversing an open world I've played, though for some reason I couldn't get a solid 60fps while doing it even though my PC is above recommend settings and I'm only playing at 1080p. Shame there's no DLSS support.

It's one of those games that are competent but unmemorable. Ghost of Tsushima, which should be the next open world game on PC from PS studios, is a much, much better game in every way.

DrShrapnel

Shuwatch!
Oct 14, 2021
Wound up returning my Glorious O2 wireless mouse. From my short time with it, I thought it was an excellent mouse. Clicks felt wonderful (side buttons were a little mushy), and I really liked the light weight.

Coming from a wired G502 Hero, I came to the conclusion of what I already knew - I really like having multiple buttons to assign commands to on a mouse. Ordered a G502 X Lightspeed wireless. Probably should’ve just got that in first place.

Just like with keyboards though, I think I stumbled on a mouse community that collects mice. I’ve always been a one mouse guy, but perhaps down the road I’ll buy a lightweight model again if I get back to competitive shooters. They are kinda fun.

Reactions: lashman

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
You know, apart from ocasionally losing logon credentials, I don't really have much of a problem with Uplay/Ubisoft Connect/Whateverthefucktheywannacallit, it mostly stays out of the way.
I really hope this facelift won't result in yet another slow ass bloated mess (like EGS).

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Im one of the few people who actually quite liked the Ubisoft client for a very long time, so these news about a new client doesn't make me happy.

FunnyJay