Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Apparently a bunch of games got leaked on EpicDB (didn't know that shit existed lmao) Including FFXVI, FFIX Remake, Turok and TLOU2

Wonder what kind of budget Square is gonna throw at a FFIX remake.

I hope its at least on the scale of something like the Lightning trilogy in terms of graphics. The dream would be something like Expedition 33 but that will probably be what the X remake looks like.

Eila

Jan 21, 2019

I hope its at least on the scale of something like the Lightning trilogy in terms of graphics. The dream would be something like Expedition 33 but that will probably be what the X remake looks like.
I remember reading that it would be a fairly low effort remake months ago. Not sure if that's true, but it could very well be like those Mana games that got remade.

• Sad
Reactions: yuraya

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I guess that releasing GOTY edition aka Deluxe Edition at full price year later is one way to recoup costs of development (Alan Wake 2 physical editon).

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

I remember reading that it would be a fairly low effort remake months ago. Not sure if that's true, but it could very well be like those Mana games that got remade.
Not as big as FF7, not as small as a budget title. it's something in the middle.

• Eyes
Reactions: QFNS and Cacher

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever

I didn't have "death of x86" on my bingo cards for the 2030's, but the world is moving in weird directions lately. RAM comes on plates now, SSD's are tiny little sticks, etc...

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019
So I decided to go for the Corsair K70. Those Keychron ones looked cool, but there were way too many options for me. So far, it's been a struggle getting used to. I used my last keyboard for 7 years, and it was wider because of those stupid G keys on the left side. This one just ends on the side and the wrist rest isn't as wide, so my hands keep wanting to rest on ESDF instead of WASD. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but constantly hitting the wrong keys is so annoying.

Oh, and I just had to order o-rings for it, because it's really loud.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I'm nervous about the FFIX remake. It's my favorite FF and I'm really curious to see what kind of remake we're getting.
Sure, it won't have FFVII production values but this is still a mainline FF and a very popular one at that. They're not going to make this a low effort thing
right..?

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Visions of Mana releasing August 29th:

hope this means there will be a decent sale on Trials of Mana. I liked the remake of Secret of Mana. Simple and (relatively) short RPG, that does not require much thinking. I have found memories of the SNES game, so I hope Trials captures its essence well.

Reactions: QFNS

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
Visions of Mana releasing August 29th:

Fairly large areas, with various mounts and mechanics to move around (even on rocket back somehow), but also a downscaled overworld to travel with... more mounts, and it's all pretty despite being an obviously lower budget game.

I sure hope more games will go this way rather than everything costing a billion and taking ten years.
Trials of Mana was just well done as a game, with just enough modernization to not change too much but make it better - I am hopeful for this game, maybe it will sell well too... SE sure needs a win somewhere.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
I will only play Path of Exiles 2 if they take it back from china in my region. Blocked on steam + late update + poor QC.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

The owner of Steam - the largest digital distribution platform for PC games in the world - is being sued for £656m.

Valve Corporation is being accused of using its market dominance to overcharge 14 million people in the UK.

"Valve is rigging the market and taking advantage of UK gamers," said digital rights campaigner Vicki Shotbolt, who is bringing the case.
Valve has been contacted for comment.

The claim - which has been filed at the Competition Appeal Tribunal, in London - accuses Valve of "shutting out" competition in the PC gaming market.
It says Valve "forces" game publishers to sign up to so-called price parity obligations, preventing titles being sold at cheaper prices on rival platforms.

Ms Shotbolt says this has enabled Steam to charge an "excessive commission of up to 30%", making UK consumers pay too much for purchasing PC games and add-on content.

The case is what is known as a collective action claim, which means that one person goes to court on behalf of a much larger group of people.
Ms Shotbolt - who accuses Valve of breaching UK competition law for at least six years - says she is bringing the claim "to stop this unlawful conduct and help people get back what they are owed."

Steam is a PC gaming platform where players can buy games and purchase in-game extras.

According to VG Insights, it had record-breaking sales in 2023, generating over $9bn (£7.1bn) in global revenue.
This was driven by 580m games sold and 14,000 new games released.

However, the market is extremely concentrated, with the top 10 bestselling games making up 61% of all sales.
The top 100 games account for 91% of total sales.

The claim is backed by legal firm Milberg London LLP, which brings group action cases against large companies.

"Competition law is there to protect consumers and ensure that markets work properly," said Natasha Pearman, a partner at the law firm.

"When they don’t work properly and consumers are harmed, collective actions of this kind provide consumers with a voice and a way of holding big companies, like Valve, to account."

It is the latest in a series of collective action legal cases against big tech.

Other claims lodged at the Competition Appeal Tribunal have sought compensation from Facebook, Google and Sony.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018

I didn't have "death of x86" on my bingo cards for the 2030's, but the world is moving in weird directions lately. RAM comes on plates now, SSD's are tiny little sticks, etc...
I wouldn't necessarily trust the CEO of ARM to predict the future (or death) of competing ISAs.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
I'm nervous about the FFIX remake. It's my favorite FF and I'm really curious to see what kind of remake we're getting.
Sure, it won't have FFVII production values but this is still a mainline FF and a very popular one at that. They're not going to make this a low effort thing
right..?
I still wish they had gone with that team that made this

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I still wish they had gone with that team that made this

Ill be disappointed if the actual remake will look much different than that, because that fan demo is the perfect scope for a remake, it obviously won't be a project like FF7R, but anything less than that fan concept falls into the category of why even bother.

Reactions: Derrick01

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
They showed some mountains in a 30 second clip..

And then a space station in outer space for a quick 5 seconds Starfield tease..

and Microsoft said here is 7.5 billion

profit??? tyvm.

Will go down as one of the goat sales pitches in this industry.

Reactions: xinek

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
That Elder Scrolls VI announcement is still so funny to me. IIRC at the time they had just teased (or were about to tease) Starfield for the first time and hadn't actually shown anything yet. It was clearly nowhere near close to coming out. So that announcement was nothing more than a "Here! Now will you STFU about Elder Scrolls VI already?!"'

Last edited:

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
I might in the meantime take a second look at Lords of the Fallen (2023); I understand that there have been some significant updates since launch. I'm not sure -- in fact I kinda doubt -- they will solve the main issues I had with that game (excessive griminess of the looks, excessive mob density even in the first level,...) , but with better performance and QoL it might become tolerable.
Well, the updates did indeed much improve LOTF. The game is now (mostly*) fluid for me on ultra (4070, Linux). And I find it enjoyable so far.

The density of mobs has not changed, but turns out to be much less of a hassle with fluid frame pacing, for some strange reason ;)

Some parts of the game are actually very pretty to look at; I just got to a wooden area that looks quite nice. There are a few recurring NPC talking at me... they'll all die horribly, no doubt...

There seems to be a good variety of weapons, and you can even dual-wield them, as I found out completely by mistake.

All in all I'm seriously getting into that Souls groove...

I guess one should never play games at launch. :shrugblob:

* except Firelink... I mean Skyrest Bridge; it loads half the game's maps, I guess, given the nice views, and is laggy as all hell. Fortunately, there are no ennemies there. That I've met.
What will happen first, TESIV or Skyrim: Remake
TESIV.

Proof:

TESIV Oblivion came out in 2006.

QED.