Community MetaSteam | June 2024 - Let's conquer this kingdom with some pure hearts

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
This is just an excuse to cover for a company that you view more favorably. The game came out in 2021, adding more content doesn't change this fact. It's not a new game.
Shin Megami Tensei V is 60€ on Steam, and while the original game came out 3 years ago on Switch only, this expanded rerelease was at least released at the same time as the console releases. It's also a conveniently complete story which doesn't require any extra € to get more story content (the dlcs do not add story content, but even in that case you get the full game + dlc package for 70€). Also supports 13 languages and you know, it's likely future Atlus games will release day one on Steam too looking at their recent releases
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is 80€ (eighty!) on Steam, and this expanded rerelease was released on Steam 6 months after an EGS exclusive deal, which was released 6 months after a second PS exclusive deal, which was released a year after the original release (with an exclusive PS deal). It's also an incomplete story which will require the user to buy 2 more games priced at the same price totaling at 240€ (two hundred and forty!) to get the full story over the course of 8 years (and that's if you only buy it on Steam, if you wanted to play day one on console you had to also buy both a PS4 and a PS5!). And for some reason despite SE supposedly being a bigger company and the game costing more FFVIIR somehow supports 11 languages only and you know, there is also the issue the second part of the remake project is still a PS exclusive despite the exclusivity period being over 2 weeks ago, and that's without talking about how FFXVI is still ps exclusive despite that deal expiring 6 months ago

Hmm... you know. I think I'll continue being an hypocrite and praise Atlus in this case. Can't wait for Metaphor to come out so I can repeat this same day one numbers post with it too! At least every Atlus game on Steam is in Italian (including EO), while SE seems to think italian Mana/SaGa fans can go fuck themselves

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I still can't believe how good of a deal Integrum Masterpiece turned out to be. Especially with the GMG discount.

All those games and content for 56$. I was really expecting for it all to be north of 100$. I think I'm gonna trade in my used PS4 copies too and make this even cheaper in the end.

And 1.5 and 2.5 seem to have 197 achievements :so-good-blob:

Can't wait to finally start these later this weekend.

Also I can't help but feel bad for (and laugh at) all the people who dropped over 200$ on this when it first came to EGS. I can't believe Sweeney actually allowed that shit for real. He needs to be refund all the people lol.

Reactions: Vantr

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Was trying to play Steelrising from the May choice, since aesthetically it looks really cool, but this is literally unplayable on my graphics card (2060).
The intro area was fine, but since then I can choose between massive texture pop-in issues that are really glaring or turning the graphics down as low as possible to avoid that, but in turn have everything look like shit anyway...
That game really does not look remotely good enough to justify bringing that card to its knees like that. Pretty disappointing tbh.

I really hope the 5060 will be decent. (I was thinking about upgrading to a 4070 earlier this year, but I really don't play enough graphically intensive games to justify that and don't want to bother replacing my PSU because of the bigger power draw).

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
I still can't believe how good of a deal Integrum Masterpiece turned out to be. Especially with the GMG discount.

All those games and content for 56$. I was really expecting for it all to be north of 100$. I think I'm gonna trade in my used PS4 copies too and make this even cheaper in the end.

And 1.5 and 2.5 seem to have 197 achievements :so-good-blob:

Can't wait to finally start these later this weekend.

Also I can't help but feel bad for (and laugh at) all the people who dropped over 200$ on this when it first came to EGS. I can't believe Sweeney actually allowed that shit for real. He needs to be refund all the people lol.
lol I decided to buy it off of GMG even though I’m not a very big Kingdom Hearts fan. Someone send help.

• Toucan
Reactions: yuraya and QFNS

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021

A chinese visual novel named Far Away came out in 2021, apparently being quite popular, so popular that a kickstarter was made to localize it

The kickstarter was fully founded by October 2022 but things kinda got weird in 2023. Apparently a fallout was happening between the publisher Thermite Games (who made the kickstarter campaign and were planning to localize the game in both english and japanese) and the developer Gratesca Studio (which in the meantime self published a completely separate game on Steam on their own, english translation and all), apparently some quality issues about each other work. Well the situation got so hot both parties actually ended up in court, and today the whole thing has been "solved"
Developer message about it on Steam
Publisher message about it on Kickstarter
Developer response on the kickstarter page
tl;dr the publisher parted way with the project and the game is now fully owned by the devs, so the kickstarter campaign won't be moving forward. The devs will release their own english translation later in the year, with the devs still willing to give keys for the PC verion. Refunds will be given by the pub for the original supporters

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
SMT V is more popular than FF.

As for why KH doesn't have as many players as SMT V, once again I feel boils down to it being people buying the bundle and deciding to play the first game later or they are having technical issues, it seems like the first game is the one with the issues, which is why the reviews for it are under 80% meanwhile SMTV has more concurrent players and also it has overwhelming positive reviews. (823 reviews at 97% with 19,680 CC players ) Meanwhile Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5 Remix is currently at 73% with 992 reviews with 7,360 concurrent players

As a third comparison point, MH Stories is sitting at 83% with 83 reviews and 1,783 players

MH Stories currently has more players than KH3 and MHS is a game that I'm pretty sure most people didn't even realize just released. It released hours after Kingdom Hearts on PC. Out of the 3 Kingdom hearts game it looks like KH3 has less than 1.5+2.5 but the overall it's currently sitting at 90% compared to 1.5+2.5 at 73% and 2.8HD currently at 81% with 84 reviews and less than 500 people playing it. (I can't remember if it's 500 or 200 people but if it's less than that, that Steam CC cumbers aren't really accurate) But as of now it's says no one is playing that game.

RIP Kingdom Hearts 2.8HD, the Valve Index Base stations are currently selling better than that game........ Once again the bundle was a good idea on SE side, but yeah maybe no one is currently playing that game at all. MHStories is currently selling better than KH3. KH1.5+2.5 is in the top 5 selling on Steam right now and SMT V is in the top 10 selling right now.

-----------
More information in Japan on Steam right now, SMT V is currently the top selling game, KH1.5+2.5 is #3, MHS is #18, KH3 is #23. KH2.8HD is not even one of the top 100 best selling games on Steam in Japan right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexandros

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
Shin Megami Tensei V is 60€ on Steam, and while the original game came out 3 years ago on Switch only, this expanded rerelease was at least released at the same time as the console releases. It's also a conveniently complete story which doesn't require any extra € to get more story content (the dlcs do not add story content, but even in that case you get the full game + dlc package for 70€). Also supports 13 languages and you know, it's likely future Atlus games will release day one on Steam too looking at their recent releases
Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade is 80€ (eighty!) on Steam, and this expanded rerelease was released on Steam 6 months after an EGS exclusive deal, which was released 6 months after a second PS exclusive deal, which was released a year after the original release (with an exclusive PS deal). It's also an incomplete story which will require the user to buy 2 more games priced at the same price totaling at 240€ (two hundred and forty!) to get the full story over the course of 8 years (and that's if you only buy it on Steam, if you wanted to play day one on console you had to also buy both a PS4 and a PS5!). And for some reason despite SE supposedly being a bigger company and the game costing more FFVIIR somehow supports 11 languages only and you know, there is also the issue the second part of the remake project is still a PS exclusive despite the exclusivity period being over 2 weeks ago, and that's without talking about how FFXVI is still ps exclusive despite that deal expiring 6 months ago

Hmm... you know. I think I'll continue being an hypocrite and praise Atlus in this case. Can't wait for Metaphor to come out so I can repeat this same day one numbers post with it too! At least every Atlus game on Steam is in Italian (including EO), while SE seems to think italian Mana/SaGa fans can go fuck themselves
You're stretching to find things to complain about to make your argument look better because you know it's flimsy and you know the 2 things are almost identical and this whole thing is just more SE "bitch eating crackers". What do the other ff7 games have to do with this? What do future atlus games have to do with the fact that this one took almost 3 years to hit steam? The price is higher because it's a current gen release, it uses the same pricing structure all other games are using, and considering SMT looks and plays like a ps3 game we should be asking why it's priced the same as so many other more modern games.

Also you go on about languages supported...does the game even have more than a minimal amount of VA? These types of games rarely do, meanwhile FF7R is entirely voiced down to every NPC. I know that many not mean anything to you since it's not in italian but that kind of effort helps justify a full retail price more than SMT does.

Last edited:

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
The low ccu numbers for VII Remake compared to Persona games, Tales of Arise, Granblue Fantasy Relink etc. says a lot about Square.
It tells a lot about
  • Action Frankenstein gameplay
  • Square
  • the relevance about FF7 as a franchise that matters

They should have made an FF8 Remake with Turn-based combat and would have 10 times more sales and CCU

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
SE should have taken FF9 and made a survival extraction shooter, obviously.
Don't forget that SE made a FFVII Battle Royale game on mobile, had it been on PC as well it may have survived a few more months but ultimately it would also have been shut down as well.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
The tl;dr is on the bottom, you or anyone else don't need to read the entire post. It's summer and it's too hot already
You're stretching to find things to complain about to make your argument look better because you know it's flimsy and you know the 2 things are almost identical and this whole thing is just more SE "bitch eating crackers".
Not my problem. I buy games I want with the conditions I want. Same for the people that are buying or not buying SMTV on Steam. I'm a customer, not an ATM, and I decide how to spend my money and the reasons for spending my money. Hating a company? Shilling for another company? I don't do this nor here nor on the other place. The only thing I care are the games. My Steam account is public so feel free to see all the SE games I had no problem buying since I sure as shit won't bother screenshotting my whole library to prove a point. Maybe the reason I don't buy a specific game is flimsy to you, but I don't care. Just as I don't care why you buy or don't buy games. It's your money
What do the other ff7 games have to do with this? What do future atlus games have to do with the fact that this one took almost 3 years to hit steam?
Well as I said the rest of the FFVII games continue a story that for no reason should have been episodic to begin with, and ask for full price for another 2 stretched to death products whose entire point is to suck dry FFVII fans, but first: what do I care how long a game takes to hit Steam? Do you think I bought Remake at -50% to punish SE for all the deals they took? Who gives a shit. The price I paid for Remake is how much I think it's worth it: a 6 hours game stretched into a 50 hours abomination filled with ways to waste your time, and with an incomplete story to boot. I bought many "late" games at full price when they first came to Steam because those games were worth it. Warriors Orochi 3U and Samurai Warriors 4DX from Koei, Megaton Musashi for Level-5, Metal Gear Master Collection for Konami, KH Integrum for SE. Guess what: SMTV is one of those. I never bought the game on Switch, just as I never got the others listed before on other platforms, so what do I care it came out 3 years ago? If I think it's worth 60 bucks it's my choice
Second, as I said in another post
The most important thing in this industry is "the benefit of doubt"
What is the benefit of doubt? Well it can be many things but for me ultimately is the willingness to preorder a game, ergo giving full money to a company without waiting for reviews or launch impressions. The FFVII project is a product that does not have the benefit of doubt for me (and for many others looking at how Rebirth did) so I'm not willing to pay full price for it. Arguably SE does not have the benefit of doubt for me because they have been shown to not actually fix problems with their pc releases even after years (see KH on AMD. not my issue since I don't use AMD but it doesn't inspire confidence). You know who has the benefit of the doubt? Atlus. Their games are patched on time, their games run well (for me), and the most important part I like their games. So as long as they release games I like they will continue to have the benefit of doubt as I part with my money
The price is higher because it's a current gen release, it uses the same pricing structure all other games are using, and considering SMT looks and plays like a ps3 game we should be asking why it's priced the same as so many other more modern games.
And I don't buy 80€ games. I was going to write something along the lines of "not my problem console users love slurping all their overlords give them" but actually, no, they don't like 80 bucks games either since the PS5 has the lowest software sales to hardware sales ration of the entire PS line. But hey the big boys can continue to try and push the 80 bucks price point as me (and many others) will continue to not buy them. I don't care FFVII looks truly next gen, and I don't care SMTV looks like a PS3 game. For me SMTV is worth the asking price for the reasons I highlighted above and in the previous post, while Remake and Rebirth aren't (for the reasons I highlighted above and in the previous post)
Also you go on about languages supported...does the game even have more than a minimal amount of VA? These types of games rarely do, meanwhile FF7R is entirely voiced down to every NPC. I know that many not mean anything to you since it's not in italian but that kind of effort helps justify a full retail price more than SMT does.
Ah, good that you answered yourself. A game is fully voiced in english down to every single NPC helps justify the price for english users. Perfect. And I can understand english well enough to write, read or understand what I see and hear, at least on an acceptable level . Here's my problem which goes back to what I wrote above and in the previous post about "price and worth": SE wants 80 bucks for their games, they want to be part of the bigger boys. Now let's look at the actual bigger boys: Microsoft? The vast majority of their dubbed games are also dubbed in many languages including italian (and this includes games that no one would have fully dubbed like Hi-Fi Rush, Redfall, Ghostwire Tokyo, As Dusk Falls, Age of Empires). Some of these games have lots of voice lines, despite this they're not 80 bucks. Sony? Horizon, tLou, GoT, Death Stranding, even their GaaS titles like Helldivers (and the upcoming Concord) have full italian dubs. Some of these games have lots of voice acting but currently none of their games on Steam costs more than 60 bucks. Warner Bros? Again most of their games are dubbed in italian (even GaaS like Multiversus or Suicide Squad), and even then the games don't cost more than 70 bucks. EA? Ubisoft? Same as above. Now I do agree I don't know how much do these games cost on consoles but from looking at their Steam publisher pages, the amount of 80€ games is strangely limited despite supporting so many dubs. In fact I don't see this so called "current-gen price point" since most new releases are, at most, 70 bucks
So why should SE be the exception? You want 80 bucks for your game? Then show me the italian dub. After all other big companies do it despite not asking for 80€. If I were to buy Rebirth for that price I would do a disservice to other companies that offer me more for less money. SE wants to ask the big boy money but their efforts are comparable to the middle boys like, you guessed, Atlus. Atlus (or Sega in general) doesn't have italian dubs for any of their games, well they also don't ask for 80€. Capcom also doesn't asks for 80€ (and some of their games do have italian dubs, like RE, or MHW) but I don't want to count them because they obviously make way more money thanks to all the dlcs they do. Bamco doesn't asks for 80€, hell most of their games don't even have an english dub (but they still translate the games in italian)

TLDR I don't care a game is made by a company or another, and I don't care when a game actually releases on Steam. I buy games full price on Steam because of my reasons and mine alone, and I don't care how others see them. SMTV for me and everyone else who bought it is worth the 60€ it asks despite being 3 years late because in the end it doesn't matter. FFVII Remake (or Rebirth) is not worth the full price for me (and everyone else who skipped it) even if it where to release day 1 on Steam. Maybe I'm just in the mood for a turn based dungeon crawler instead of an open world action rpg. No one has the right to question me about this choice
This discussions reminds me of the whole "it's just another launcher". Well guess what, even if it's just another launcher it is my god given right if I don't want to use the EGS. And it is my god given right if I don't want to give SE my money for Rebirth

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Important to remember that the ONLY reason Kingdom Farts is on Steam now is because Square Enix got a new boss who realized they were losing money and mandated that their releases should go on as many platforms as possible. And then someone else in the organization realized that they could make money by releasing this forgotten game on Steam. Because there's no doubt this was a forgotten game. Timmy Tencent didn't sign an exclusivity deal that just expired... that happened a long time ago and everyone, including Square Enix, forgot that a PC version of the game even exists.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
lol I decided to buy it off of GMG even though I’m not a very big Kingdom Hearts fan. Someone send help.
Its a good deal honestly @ 18$ per entry. I don't think Square will ever discount them lower than that for the foreseeable future. Maybe they'll bundle them all one day leading into the release of Kingdom Hearts 4 but that is still a longs way from now.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Important to remember that the ONLY reason Kingdom Farts is on Steam now is because Square Enix got a new boss who realized they were losing money and mandated that their releases should go on as many platforms as possible. And then someone else in the organization realized that they could make money by releasing this forgotten game on Steam. Because there's no doubt this was a forgotten game. Timmy Tencent didn't sign an exclusivity deal that just expired... that happened a long time ago and everyone, including Square Enix, forgot that a PC version of the game even exists.
Yeah, the timing is just very telling.
Really goes to show just how absurdly terrible Square was being run under their previous CEO. Baffling, really.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Yeah, the timing is just very telling.
Really goes to show just how absurdly terrible Square was being run under their previous CEO. Baffling, really.
It is pretty funny how they woke up one morning and decided to finally put Pixel Remasters on consoles....
Put Octopath on more platforms.
Put KH on more than EGS.
They even did a preannouncement of Dragon Quest remaster/remake coming to more platforms too lol.

It is still very smart move even if it won't be felt for a while. They couldn't keep doing this stupid exclusive shit with how big Switch has been and how big Switch 2 will be. And PC gaming continues to grow. They were probably at risk of sinking their company with how incompetent they've been over the years. Maybe Square actually expected to be acquired by Sony or something because it felt like they don't give a shit about anything. They even sold off their western studios.

Now we know Kingdom Hearts 4, FF17, and games like DQ12 + other remakes should all hit multiplat. More people will play them day one on the platform of their choice. They just need to optimize these games as I feel that is the only way for them to fuck up going forward.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

A chinese visual novel named Far Away came out in 2021, apparently being quite popular, so popular that a kickstarter was made to localize it

The kickstarter was fully founded by October 2022 but things kinda got weird in 2023. Apparently a fallout was happening between the publisher Thermite Games (who made the kickstarter campaign and were planning to localize the game in both english and japanese) and the developer Gratesca Studio (which in the meantime self published a completely separate game on Steam on their own, english translation and all), apparently some quality issues about each other work. Well the situation got so hot both parties actually ended up in court, and today the whole thing has been "solved"
Developer message about it on Steam
Publisher message about it on Kickstarter
Developer response on the kickstarter page
tl;dr the publisher parted way with the project and the game is now fully owned by the devs, so the kickstarter campaign won't be moving forward. The devs will release their own english translation later in the year, with the devs still willing to give keys for the PC verion. Refunds will be given by the pub for the original supporters
Seems like overall a happy ending, even if the console ports seem to be canned.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Annoyed with SMTV's pre-rendered scenes that use in-game assets and are probably made for Switch so they're aliased, I guess they didn't build their engine to make it capable of doing that stuff though it's nothing radical so they faked it by not enhancing the quality past what you saw in game. I wonder if the scenes that are only made for the Vengeance story also suffer the same or if they're higher quality (or even actually in-engine). Not that anyone would have complained if they were higher quality on Switch as well, maybe they'd chalk it up to just enhanced visual quality/AA for in-engine cut scenes over gameplay even. Idk. Also getting loads of Unreal Engine® stutters on PC and there are next to no graphical options to increase some object/detail pop in distance and what not.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Annoyed with SMTV's pre-rendered scenes that use in-game assets and are probably made for Switch so they're aliased, I guess they didn't build their engine to make it capable of doing that stuff though it's nothing radical so they faked it by not enhancing the quality past what you saw in game. I wonder if the scenes that are only made for the Vengeance story also suffer the same or if they're higher quality (or even actually in-engine). Not that anyone would have complained if they were higher quality on Switch as well, maybe they'd chalk it up to just enhanced visual quality/AA for in-engine cut scenes over gameplay even. Idk. Also getting loads of Unreal Engine® stutters on PC and there are next to no graphical options to increase some object/detail pop in distance and what not.
Sounds like a mediocre port.

I really hate when ports (especially from slow platforms like Switch) don't have draw distance / LoD settings.

Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Sounds like a mediocre port.

I really hate when ports (especially from slow platforms like Switch) don't have draw distance / LoD settings.
Yeah, it's a bare bones port, but I haven't seen any stuttering at all on the Deck. The game runs really well.

The old cutscenes look a lot better on the Deck where they aren't being blown up to huge resolutions.

Last edited:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Replaced Arctic P14 fans on my Arctic Liquid Freezer AIO with P14 MAX, replaced 120mm top fan on my case with one of those P14 i removed from AIO, tuned my fan curves and now loudest part in my case during idling is basically AIO pump XD But case is more-less dead silent while temps are in check.

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
Kingdom Hearts 1 is a really cute title. The combat can feel repetitive and simple, the platforming is floaty and objects are only sometimes grabbable so it's easy to screw up even when you think you're touching an edge. But magic in it is powerful and it's the only game in the series where the Disney worlds are integral to the story (Maleficent leading the other Disney villains and Beast chasing down Belle through worlds). It's cute seeing all these character interactions and it's style seems affectionately reminiscent of Hot Topic. Its also pretty challenging. I didnt know what Aero did as a child and I havent the slightest how I had the patience to do boss fights without its defensive capabilities back then. It's also just a really pretty game; the artstyle is timeless. Plus Yoko Shimomura.

Playing it with my wife watching, she commented on how she liked you could jump on the Queen's thrown in Wonderland and talk to her to her face saying it was very silly and of its time. She also likes the Whinnie the Pooh oddly depressing moment of Pooh trying to figure out how to say goodbye to himself because all his friends disappeared and he assumes he's next.

As for the port:
It runs well enough most of the time, but occasionally there's brief slowdown when I first load into new areas. I also got a crash once. (I've played the steam version 20 hours so far). Have an rtx 3070, ryzen 5600x and have been playing at 4k 60fps.
What is there original color and is it something people dislike a lot?

Last edited:

TrishaKit

The Recusant's Sigil
Aug 11, 2021
Kingdom Hearts 1...

As for the port:
It runs well enough most of the time, but occasionally there's brief slowdown when I first load into new areas. I also got a crash once. (I've played the steam version 20 hours so far). Have an rtx 3070, ryzen 5600x and have been playing at 4k 60fps.
Nevermind, make that two crashes. It just crashed during one of the final cutscenes after I beat the final boss :mad:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
It's so weird to me that the first game people think of when hearing the name Tetsuya Mizuguchi is Rez and not Sega Rally.

Anyone, Pandamonium just posted an absolutely insane documentary about Sega Rally, 4:40h!

Last edited:

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
God, I love SMTV.
I already loved the original as I'm a huge SMT fan, but now that the game is free from the Switch's constraints and with the improved story in the Vengeance route + all the qol improvements, it's pretty much perfect for me now.

I love the art direction, the designs of the Qadistu, the ost, exploring the world, just everything.
It's so gorgeous on an OLED screen. I'm so glad it runs so well on the Deck.
Is the Michael Jackson bit at 12:24 followed by that part of the ad with the kid intentional :unsure:
Seeing your quote made me realize that my post doesn't make any sense because I forgot to write "not" before Sega Rally.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I preordered Metaphor on PC and plan to play it via Remote Play. I've played Hitman 3 for about 30 hours via Remote Play and while it isn't perfect, it works well enough that I'm willing to take a chance on Metaphor working well. The specs are low enough that my aging PC should still be able to max it.

Also I saved nearly $20 getting it on PC compared to PS5 so that's a nice bonus.