Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Thats the kind of thing that makes me reach out to a dev and try to tell them they're making a mistake, obviously with very diplomatic words. So I did that, and I dont know whether they will listen, but it would be a welcome reaction. I hope they take PC seriously enough to implement a FOV slider. In my opinion, from my PS Now play sessions, the FOV is too low in HZD.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Still torn about where to buy Doom :thinking-blob:
20 euros premium just to have it on steam, with a Beth account mandatory anyways... but Bethesda... :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Still torn about where to buy Doom :thinking-blob:
20 euros premium just to have it on steam, with a Beth account mandatory anyways... but Bethesda... :thinking-blob: :thinking-blob:
yeah I get you. I bought it on Steam, hoping Bethesda will eventually see reason and axe their godawful client and with it the account requirements. One can hope.

SaberVS7

Average Date a Live Enjoyer
Jan 23, 2020
Hey everyone, how's it going?

Anyone here play Planetside 2 or interesting in it/coming back? The Escalation Update is some pretty good shit and a lot of Old Timers have started to come back, with a lot of nights filling up the servers to cap completely like it's 2013 again.

Reactions: 「Echo」

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018

this is cool i guess. id rather have them include the PC gamepass games to have their achievements though since it seems like hardly any of them have those

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Hey everyone, how's it going?

Anyone here play Planetside 2 or interesting in it/coming back? The Escalation Update is some pretty good shit and a lot of Old Timers have started to come back, with a lot of nights filling up the servers to cap completely like it's 2013 again.
I have a friend who's been trying to get me to play planetside with him for a long ass time but I have yet to give it a try.

Like I want to, but I just havent gotten around to it yet.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Thats the kind of thing that makes me reach out to a dev and try to tell them they're making a mistake, obviously with very diplomatic words. So I did that, and I dont know whether they will listen, but it would be a welcome reaction. I hope they take PC seriously enough to implement a FOV slider. In my opinion, from my PS Now play sessions, the FOV is too low in HZD.
Maybe you getting dizzy due to an FOV that doesn't fit playing it on a monitor, is just part of the creative vision of Guerilla :shrugblob:

Reactions: LEANIJA

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
~1TB SSD is pretty good for a base unit depending on the price. Does that mean no VRAM/RAM separation or they just don't know how much it has? If it's just one shared pool of 16GB GDDR6 that seems too little? A lot for just VRAM but not for both together? PC GPUs have 8-12 GB VRam these days and games still tend to require like 16GB Ram on top? Or will the SSD replace the function of Ram or something? Surely it's not nearly as fast to take over that role.

Edit: he literally JUST discussed this in the video stream, lol, never mind. We'll see how it works out, the first parties should be fine I guess but what about multi platform engines/games made to work with the traditional relationship between Ram, system, VRam and HDD/SSD, will they optimize for one or the other (as they aren't likely to suddenly give up on the PC/Xbox market even if the latter doesn't become as prominent, together they should still be at least 50% market).

Last edited:

FunnyJay

Powered by the Cloud
Apr 6, 2019
Sweden
825 GB SSD? What a random number...

Anyone picking up the Capcom bundle? It's really interesting... I think I will get it!

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
825 GB SSD? What a random number...

Anyone picking up the Capcom bundle? It's really interesting... I think I will get it!
I don't know if they're over over-provisioning...
What is the actual size of a retail 1Tb SSD ?

Edit: apparently 1Tb SSDs give you around 930Gb of usable space.
Maybe they're excessively cautious about reliability/longevity ?

SaberVS7

Jan 23, 2020
So, just got through Gonarch's Lair in Black Mesa.

This might be paradoxical, maybe Heretical to say but... Honestly it seems like Black Mesa made Half-Life, well, much more Half-Life - Given the general consensus I recall that Xen in HL1 is basically the point where Half-Life completely gives up its identity and becomes just another Quake Clone.

931 GBs, as all three of my 1TB SSDs read right now.

930 for the Windows-Install one, for whatever reason.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Xbox Series X sounds like the better machine as it is stronger overall (except for a weaker SSD) and better backwards compatibility, but as all Xbox games will release on Steam I won't care about it and get a PS5 instead. Unless of course PS5 exclusives releases on PC.

Reactions: Ge0force and Arsene

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I'll just stay PC only unless I finally get around to buying a Switch or Switch 2 or whatever, being PC/Wii was the last time I had both and it was great, there are lots of Ninty games I've wanted in the past but not enough to get the systems considering there are already too many games on PC alone anyway, backlog hell.

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
That reveal couldn't have been presented in a more boring, sleep inducing way. It's like Phantom Menace's beginning but about a console instead of a trade dispute. Lots of buzzwords for the faithful to throw around without knowing their meaning though.

No, the weird size is because "Sony's solution is proprietary, 825GB is most optimal match for the 12-channel interface".

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Wowza, Gabe Newell self-funded the first Half-Life with his MS money (he left MS money as he wanted to create games and didn't care for the OS war) and they didn't want external funding (like from a publisher), because that means outside forces (like a publisher) might get more say for the game, they wanted only the game devs themself, the one creating the product, to decide how the game would be, not some people in suits.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
Well being without work a new PC is quite a purchase so I would have to save for a long time, a new xbox would be much easier.
Yup, this is me as well. I want my next PC to be quite the thing so an Xbox will be a nice stopgap

Reactions: Le Pertti

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I think it's really exceedingly simple: FoV isn't something you just decide when making a game. Proper FoV is very much a function of the gaming setup of your customer.
This is even more true on PC, where people play on anything from laptops over ultrawide monitors to 140" projector screens, but really, it's also true on consoles. As such, everything should have FoV adjustment.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
I think it's really exceedingly simple: FoV isn't something you just decide when making a game. Proper FoV is very much a function of the gaming setup of your customer.
This is even more true on PC, where people play on anything from laptops over ultrawide monitors to 140" projector screens, but really, it's also true on consoles. As such, everything should have FoV adjustment.
Weird thing is HZD will support ultra wide that need to have higher FoV.

Reactions: lashman and LEANIJA

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Those PS specs aren't particularly surprising. As I predicted several years ago, the increase in memory in this console gen is really anemic compared to every previous console generation transition (2x instead of at least 8x -- larger amounts of memory would be a potentially high cost and might cut into profit over the lifespan of these consoles).

It's a bit weak IMHO to advertise compressed data rates from your storage. I mean, I can (and do) get ~twice the effective bandwidth from any PC SSD right now with real-time compression on typical game assets.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Seems like Im gonna wait and see if there will be a TLOU 2 PS5 edition with enhancements, same with Ghost of Tsushima. Good thing I have yet to pre-order them.

Also funny how my PC from 2016 just like 10-15% weaker than the PS5 and 20-30% weaker than the Series X.

Will wait until Ampere is out to decide if Im gonna upgrade cause If I do I will buy a new CPU and the rest too.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
If you mean my name up there, it was in articles about DSFix >8 years ago, and in about a gazillion other places since then :p

If you mean something else and I should be concerned then let me know.
I thought the blob was a dead giveaway I wasn't serious.
(I remember the GAF DSFix thread)

Reactions: 「Echo」

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Yes, very well put. I hope Guerilla will see reason.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Backwards compatibility is extremely important now that buying games digitally becomes a norm. Not all my digital owned PS4 games being able to be played on PS5 is such bullshit.

When it comes to ecosystem, the PC and Xbox (which is now more intevened than ever) becomes the winners.

Reactions: LEANIJA

SaberVS7

Jan 23, 2020
So anyway, with Cold Steel 3 PC and Alyx out on the 23rd, I'm torn on whether or not to continue my PS4 run of CS3 or start all over. I'm not sure how much of a stretch I have ahead from Chapter 3 onward only that CH3 is longer than the previous two, but the first two were no joke in length either.

The only thing I know for real right now is that my run completely stalled out when Alyx got announced and I bought an Oculus RS and got addicted to VR games.

SaberVS7

Jan 23, 2020
Also in regards to all this PS5 and XSX talk, I'm personally out on non-Nintendo consoles unless they go on some sort of Firesale.

I bought a PS4 Pro for a lot of Japanese exclusives which at a rapid-pace have been going Multiplat, and often within six months or less of their original PS4 launch. So I've basically got no reason for consoles at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.