Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
Also in regards to all this PS5 and XSX talk, I'm personally out on non-Nintendo consoles unless they go on some sort of Firesale.

I bought a PS4 Pro for a lot of Japanese exclusives which at a rapid-pace have been going Multiplat, and often within six months or less of their original PS4 launch. So I've basically got no reason for consoles at this point.
Yeah same, my PS4 was a third party exclusive machine, but now everything is going multiplatform and at most they're just timed exclusives. I'll just stick to PC if things still stay the same

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I'm pretty happy to see SSDs be normalized across the board but I'm surprised at those throughput speeds. If I recall correctly, the average SSD on PC pulls about .5 gb/s. This feels like the one area where the platform is behind, or am I missing something?

derExperte

MetaMember
Dec 9, 2018
I'm pretty happy to see SSDs be normalized across the board but I'm surprised at those throughput speeds. If I recall correctly, the average SSD on PC pulls about .5 gb/s. This feels like the one area where the platform is behind, or am I missing something?
SATA SSDs are limited to a little over 500MB/s, NVMes can do much more, there are already SSDs like the FireCuda 520 that reach 5GB/s and you could get drives ~3.5GB/s for years now with prices having dropped far enough that I see lots of gamers putting those into new builds.

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
That's SATA SSD. Both consoles use nvme SSD which is faster than SATA.

Nvme pcie 3.0 SSD on PC can run 3.5gb/s and nvme pcie 4.0 can go higher than PS5's SSD.

Problem is it's expensive as fuck and as of now only X570 boards support it.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
That's SATA SSD. Both consoles use nvme SSD which is faster than SATA.

Nvme pcie 3.0 SSD on PC can run 3.5gb/s and nvme pcie 4.0 can go higher than PS5's SSD.

Problem is it's expensive as fuck and as of now only X570 boards support it.
Thank you and derExperte for the swift answer. I'm pretty happy then! 3.5 gb/s sounds like a rather good starting point considering that these games won't hit the market until a year away from now, and the vendor focus on this will only increase.

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Specs for PS5 kinda underwhelming. Can't believe they not doing PS3 BC again. They really don't give a shit about their legacy. If RPCS3 exists there is no way they can't create some in-house emulator that can at the very least natively run games via the new PS5.

The Serious X will be a better console by the looks of it but all their games come to PC anyways so meh.

Assuming there is no From Software or KojiPro exclusives for the PS5 in the first few years...I think I'm gonna wait for PS5Pro and not bother with Xbox.

A new Switch with a 1080p screen and some new next gen Nvidia mobile tech could be appealing in a few years. Same with any new PC handheld like that.

But yea PC stays winning.

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Maybe it's because I've lived through all console generations but I don't give a damn anymore. Current games look just fine to me, it's not a deciding factor for me anymore.

Reactions: Alexandros

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
Haven't posted in a while as I've been avoiding the internets outside of YouTube to maintain mental health.

Anyway, picked up Borderlands 3 as the -50% first-week sale on Steam seemed like a fair price.

Hot damn this game is good. Dipped into B2 maybe a couple months back so it's relatively fresh in my mind and the difference between the two are pretty staggering. Like way more than I expected.

B3 eclipses B2 in an impressive number of categories. It looks absolutely glorious (can't believe some say they look samey), but perhaps more importantly, the feel of motion and combat are crazy improved over the last game. Seriously, if you have a chance go back and play B2 for a minute. The combat feels utterly stiff & lifeless compared to B3. Level design has seen a shot in the arm to with maps feeling more complex, inc. lots of hidden loot stashes that encourages exploration. Love that the player character is way more chatty. I'm playing solo as Flak, who's a sentient robot, and his combat quips are a hoot. Some real nice QoL improvements such as quest/challenge tracking per zone, plus they have the RE2make deal where if you pass a quest giver or item but see or interact with it, it will pop an icon on your map as a reminder.

Anyway, glad I took the plunge as I had major reservations going in. But they proved for naught as I'm having an absolute blast with the game so far.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Funny how Series X looks to be the most attractive console from my view in terms of specs and tech, but as the games will release on Steam I won't get it and will just get the PS5.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Also in regards to all this PS5 and XSX talk, I'm personally out on non-Nintendo consoles unless they go on some sort of Firesale.

I bought a PS4 Pro for a lot of Japanese exclusives which at a rapid-pace have been going Multiplat, and often within six months or less of their original PS4 launch. So I've basically got no reason for consoles at this point.
I made that decision after the PS3/360 generation and it has worked out well for me.
The only game I really want to play which isn't on PC is Bloodborne, and even if I bought a PS4 for that that wouldn't allow me to play it the way I want to. (Because I enjoy playing these games, ever since Dark Souls 1, with a friend in coop and they don't have a console or any interest in getting one)

The main reason I had a PS3 back then (and the PS2 before it really) were JRPGs, and basically all of those are on PC now, either same-day or slightly later.

Kandrick

Jun 10, 2019
Switzerland
I made that decision after the PS3/360 generation and it has worked out well for me.
The only game I really want to play which isn't on PC is Bloodborne, and even if I bought a PS4 for that that wouldn't allow me to play it the way I want to. (Because I enjoy playing these games, ever since Dark Souls 1, with a friend in coop and they don't have a console or any interest in getting one)

The main reason I had a PS3 back then (and the PS2 before it really) were JRPGs, and basically all of those are on PC now, either same-day or slightly later.
Yeah, that's what i used my PS4 for. But thankfully a lot of japanese games started to come on PC, some day and date, some later because of some exclusivity deal, but that's fine, i'll wait!

Wish they saw the light decades ago but better late than never.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
3060 will probably spank them :d

My 1080 non ti is not far behind PS5 TFlops, it's like nearly 9 iirc :d

So it will do fine until like mid-gen or something at least so I can get something way better at a modest price, though I'll need to get a nice Ryzen system first.

Reactions: lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

So it will do fine until like mid-gen or something at least so I can get something way better at a modest price, though I'll need to get a nice Ryzen system first.
Haha, my PC from 2016 is, suprisingly, not far behind the PS5 at all, was expecting a bigger gap.

Reactions: LEANIJA

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I've seen all the stuff for PS5 and Xbox nextgen stuff

I'll do what i've done before and end up with Ps5 but I had a ps4, ps3, ps2 and that was because I used them as DVD, Bluray and also now a UHD Bluray player not to mention a media box streamer
So with it having the option to play most of the ps4 games in some capacity with their talked about BC capabilities it's sort of dumb for me not to be inclined towards it

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018

Remember we're still talking AMD tflops, and I doubt their tflops are accurately mapping to Nvidia tflops, especially with the large gain in a SoC form factor. I'd expect a 1080 will trounce the PS5's GPU in raster.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
Funny how Series X looks to be the most attractive console from my view in terms of specs and tech, but as the games will release on Steam I won't get it and will just get the PS5.
If you're only going to be buying exclusives on console and multiplats on PC it makes no difference to them. The point of a console is to lock you into the ecosystem for third-party games and services, buying the console (which they might lose money from) and a few games will make the console maker very little money. This is why Microsoft and now Sony are releasing games on PC, they'd rather have more people engaging with their ecosystems even if they sell a tiny amount less consoles.

Status
Not open for further replies.