Community MetaSteam | March 2020 - Rise and Shine, Ms. Vance, Until It Is Done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm completely out of the loop, but I seem to understand DLSS is basically upsampling from a lower-resolution image. This technique appears to be heads and shoulders above any upsampling technique, including checkerboard rendering. Would you agree?
Yes, at this point I'd say so.
The difference is that DLSS is ANN-based. (And it uses the tensor cores on RTX cards to do the inference, which have a lot of performance to spare for that task)

Also does it rely on temporal reprojection to know which pixels to discard?
It most likely has a temporal component (including requiring motion vectors per pixel), but details on it are currently still a bit sparse.

Reactions: Swenhir

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Doom Eternal finished.
Without changes to the formula, I won't be there for Doom Forever :shrugblob:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I wonder if it's still just a one year exclusivity affair or more. On one hand they say the studios keep IP and creative control, but on the other they pay the development cost.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Looks like Epic will be getting my money in the future unless it's timed exclusive games.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Well, thats what I thought would happen: Epic funding and publishing games from the ground up instead of snatching them at the last second. It remains to be seen whether they will let these games be published on Steam too later or not, but I seriously doubt it. They want games you cannot just wait for/ignore their store.
And its not suprising Remedy is among the first. They might make pretty looking games, but everything else about them has just this aura of bullshit around it.

In other news, Half Life Alyx is superb,

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I'd take Epic over Sony any day. At least those games will surely come to PC.

With Sony and Remedy seemingly gravitating closer and closer...I was worried an acquisition was on the cards.

Glad it's not the case. I don't want Remedy games held back by console hardware.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Gen Design and Playdead? Fuck... I'm guessing multiplatform means EGS and consoles? Doubt we'll ever see these on steam.

Also, Panzer Dragoon just dropped on the eshop out of nowhere, where's my fucking PC version?! WHERE?!

Reactions: PC-tan and PhaZZe

PhaZZe

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Gen Design and Playdead? Fuck... I'm guessing multiplatform means EGS and consoles? Doubt we'll ever see these on steam.

Also, Panzer Dragoon just dropped on the eshop out of nowhere, where's my fucking PC version?! WHERE?!

This Winter :(

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
I mean publishing is fair game anyway, if they’re investing money in those companies at least they’re putting the money where their mouths ars
Reposting from the Epic thread:

Ι don't have a problem with Epic actually funding games instead of moneyhatting them. I still won't buy from them until they demonstrate a multi-year commitment to customer-first policies, but if they stop their moneyhatting crap I might register an account and claim them when they offer them for free.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Well, thats what I thought would happen: Epic funding and publishing games from the ground up instead of snatching them at the last second. It remains to be seen whether they will let these games be published on Steam too later or not, but I seriously doubt it. They want games you cannot just wait for/ignore their store.
And its not suprising Remedy is among the first. They might make pretty looking games, but everything else about them has just this aura of bullshit around it.

As long as they aren't enforcing exclusivity for games which they haven't funded from the ground up, I'm alright with buying at the place that offers me the best value.

Epic turning publisher still isn't the best news in the world given the practices and tactics they have demonstrated in the past year and a half. I doubt the company had a change of heart.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'm ok with Epic keeping games on their store, if they are literally funding the development and keeping devs employed and going that way.
I'm also positive that they will probably release those games on Steam to recuperate on costs, if it's still not enough to get people to install EGS on their PCs (as it's not just any other client).

Reactions: Virix

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
No way its not permanent lifetime exclusivity.

Sweeney will give the games away for free on EGS before he ever lets them go for sale via Steam lol.
I actually don't agree. Since the studio retains the IP rights I expect a period of EGS exclusivity and then a wide release.

Beyond that, it seems that there are some catches with such a deal, specifically the clause that the studio gets nothing until Epic recoups its investment. Is that atypical for a publishing deal?

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
I'm probably the only one who cares but I assumed Shinsekai would go to all platforms once the Apple Arcade exclusivity was up, not just Switch

sigh, maybe a bit later

Reactions: Arsene

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I actually don't agree. Since the studio retains the IP rights I expect a period of EGS exclusivity and then a wide release.

Beyond that, it seems that there are some catches with such a deal, specifically the clause that the studio gets nothing until Epic recoups its investment. Is that atypical for a publishing deal?
I don't think it matters if they own the ip. Epic is still publishing the game which means they decide where its being sold. All the marketing and localization is being done by them too.

And there has been no indication that shows they will all of a sudden start publishing games on Steam. Fortnite is still not on Steam so there is now way they put this stuff when/if they are 100% funding them too. This is all just more bullshit for Sweeney to bark at Valve to lower the cut. Watch his twitter feed in the coming years tell everyone those games won't come to steam until they lower their tax.

Reactions: lashman

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Well, Remedy's "we want to go independent to have complete freedom over what we create" didn't last long, it appears. Regardless of who owns the right to their IPs, if a company is completely funding the development of the game from the ground up, they'll have their say on what the game should or should not be,

Not that I particularly care, anyway. Remedy lost its magic a while ago for me, Control was definitely the finest of their recent efforts but nothing to die for (again, imo).

Reactions: Swenhir

Alexandros

Nov 4, 2018
I don't think it matters if they own the ip. Epic is still publishing the game which means they decide where its being sold. All the marketing and localization is being done by them too.

And there has been no indication that shows they will all of a sudden start publishing games on Steam. Fortnite is still not on Steam so there is now way they put this stuff when/if they are 100% funding them too. This is all just more bullshit for Sweeney to bark at Valve to lower the cut. Watch his twitter feed in the coming years tell everyone those games won't come to steam until they lower their tax.
The only profit developers will receive from their game is only after Epic has recouped its investment and a 50% share at that. This means that if a game sells poorly, developers are in danger of making zero money. I firmly believe that no developer would bet the farm on EGS in such a way.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
If Epic are taking financial risk on the games and giving developers a good deal and creative control, I see that as no bad thing. The exclusive bullshit was about Epic taking a low-risk approach to buy their way into a market by moneyhatting games that were nearly done and came with less risk.

By backing these studios from day 1 of development as a publisher they are making a commitment to see the game through to completion and then do what it takes to ensure it sells well. This is what they should've done from day 1.

Deleted member 113

If anyone is yet to play the first season of HITMAN, they really need to do so.
It's a ridiculous amount of content and variations, enough to keep you busy for quite some time.

Since I assume this is a key for HITMAN, after activating it, instead of downloading it, be sure to go to Steam, and install the free HITMAN 2 Starter Pack instead:

When you launch it, it will detect you own the first season, and download the maps.
That way, you will play all of the first season's content in HITMAN 2 (with improvements), plus the prologue/intro of the second season/game, and your stats and unlocks will be kept for the future, in case you are interested in buying the second season/game (or the upcoming third).

Cordelia

MetaMember
Jun 10, 2019
If anyone is yet to play the first season of HITMAN, they really need to do so.
It's a ridiculous amount of content and variations, enough to keep you busy for quite some time.

Since I assume this is a key for HITMAN, after activating it, instead of downloading it, be sure to go to Steam, and install the free HITMAN 2 Starter Pack instead:

When you launch it, it will detect you own the first season, and download the maps.
That way, you will play all of the first season's content in HITMAN 2 (with improvements), plus the prologue/intro of the second season/game, and your stats and unlocks will be kept for the future, in case you are interested in buying the second season/game (on the upcoming third).
So I don't need to install the Hitman first season at all?

Daoko64

Feb 26, 2020
I'm just waiting on some impressions. My Megaman BN heart says yes but I don't wanna dive head first.
Its Slay the Spire x Battle Network.

9 characters, 19 completely different starting kits, 13 "ascensions", 200+ spells and 100+ game items.
You can kill or save npcs/bosses and they will help you etc.
Seems really solid.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019

Something I have learned from this whole EGS bullshit is there is literally no game I need to play bad enough to sacrifice what I want as a consumer. I bet 2 years ago I could have rattled off a bunch of titles that would be "must play" to me but after skipping the EGS exclusives I actually learned I don't really give that much of a shit about missing games. There are so many great games to play now (and insane backlogs) that there is no reason to support games that don't put the customer first.

Deleted member 113

So I don't need to install the Hitman first season at all?
No.

After you activate it, install the free HITMAN 2 starter pack. When you first launch it, it will detect you own the first season, it will add it as DLC to HITMAN 2, and it will start downloading all content from the first season.
Do note it's a big download. :)

By playing the locations in HITMAN 2, you will get to play the content, with some improvements done for the second season.

Reactions: Cordelia and Deku

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Its Slay the Spire x Battle Network.

9 characters, 19 completely different starting kits, 13 "ascensions", 200+ spells and 100+ game items.
You can kill or save npcs/bosses and they will help you etc.
Seems really solid.
Ooooh I like the sound of that. I'll grab it later this week.

KainXVIII

DOS forever!
Dec 19, 2018
I thought that Hitman 1 was better optimized for older pc. Or they fixed Hitman 2 performance?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Something I have learned from this whole EGS bullshit is there is literally no game I need to play bad enough to sacrifice what I want as a consumer. I bet 2 years ago I could have rattled off a bunch of titles that would be "must play" to me but after skipping the EGS exclusives I actually learned I don't really give that much of a shit about missing games. There are so many great games to play now (and insane backlogs) that there is no reason to support games that don't put the customer first.
Yeah, that mirrors my experience.

There are exceptions, but they are exceedingly rare and/or unlikely. Basically, if Epic funded Pillars of Eternity 3, or gave Yoko Taro a boatload of money for a new Nier, and they were exclusive forever, then I might be swayed. But that's pretty much an exhaustive list.

No, wait, Might and Magic XI by the X team, with a larger budget. Do it Epic and you got me (first need to buy the IP from Ubisoft I guess, otherwise you won't prevent them from putting it on Uplay :p).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
No.

After you activate it, install the free HITMAN 2 starter pack. When you first launch it, it will detect you own the first season, it will add it as DLC to HITMAN 2, and it will start downloading all content from the first season.
Do note it's a big download. :)

By playing the locations in HITMAN 2, you will get to play the content, with some improvements done for the second season.
But what about achievements?

Deleted member 113

But what about achievements?
They only unlock in HITMAN 2.
Essentially, all locations (both the first season, and second season) are DLCs on the HITMAN 2 tab.
By playing the locations in HITMAN 2, you are playing HITMAN 2, not HITMAN, so the achievements (which are basically the same) only unlock in HITMAN 2.

Reactions: Le Pertti
Status
Not open for further replies.