Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I am playing Control for past week or so. I really don't know what to think about this game. Combat can be fun but it also can be frustrating when there are too many waves of enemies. Then story is not that interesting but entire lore is. Opening shelters to find just those damn resource boxes and those boxes alone are kinda annoying at this point and i am not evenlike half through the game. Environments are amazing too. So yeah i am kinda hot and cold with this game constantly.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
I cannot load Control (standard edition) on Geforce Now. The process hangs as if there was a pending update for the game on Steam. :cho:
I suspect it has to do with Humble's version not being the ultimate version.

• Sad
Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Playing more Hollow Knight recently. it's crazy how much content this game has. This is easily the scope of three or four Metroidvania games in one. On top of a hugely detailed world and backstory.
Absolute bonkers.
It's incredible. Totally astonishing that this game was made by just a few people. In the kickstarter it wasn't supposed to be this huge thing, maybe about the size of Super Metroid. But it's just huge now. You never run out of stuff to do and things to uncover. It has no business being as good as it is.

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
So David Jaffe made me wishlist this game, looks crazy.

I was wondering why people were giving Jaffe the time of day re: his opinions on Cruelty Squad. Then I saw that he apparently hated it, lmao. What an endorsement.

I've been playing a ton of this lately and it's brilliant. One of the most unique shooters I've ever played.

The story and setting are probably the most unpleasant, vile, and nihilistic take on cyberpunk I've ever seen. It's basically, "What if we did capitalism so hard that literal demons decided they wanted in on the action?" The central premise is that corps found a way to monetize the kind of people who go on shooting sprees. It's so fucked up.

Aesthetically it's awful and overwhelming. The soundtrack is unpleasant, sometimes overwhelmingly so, and then there's the level that just has squelching noises for its soundtrack. Visually it's a hideous mess of clashing colors and mismatched textures. And then the game goes and gives you ways to make it look even worse.

Can you even comprehend what's going on in this screenshot? Truly it's God's resolution.

But mechanically, it's amazing. The campaign took me ~5 hours to beat, and I'm now approaching 20 hours. The missions are highly replayable thanks to multiple modes and time-attack stuff. There are a crazy number of secrets (and it seems like the EA period is largely dedicated to adding more of them). I just finished up getting clears on each level on cursed mode, and now I'm planning to aim for S-ranks on them.

It's a legit banger. One of the best games I've played so far this year. I can't wait to see what other secrets get added during the EA period.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Checks FM total hours Uhh, you might be on to something...
checks your FM total hours

oh god

:toucan:

I am playing Control for past week or so. I really don't know what to think about this game. Combat can be fun but it also can be frustrating when there are too many waves of enemies. Then story is not that interesting but entire lore is. Opening shelters to find just those damn resource boxes and those boxes alone are kinda annoying at this point and i am not evenlike half through the game. Environments are amazing too. So yeah i am kinda hot and cold with this game constantly.
the game gives you all sorts of options to tweak difficulty/gameplay - I recommend you do that to tailor it to your tastes if you get frustrated with it. The more skills you get, the better the game gets, but I found it too frustrating at times and toned it all down a bit unless it hit the difficulty sweet spot (somewhere between being a challenge and being a breeze to play).
awesome screenshots btw!

• Toucan
Reactions: inky

ZKenir

❀ Child of Raikou ❀
May 10, 2019
I think when I'm done with Ryza 2 I'll replay Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the 4th time, kinda in the mood

• Gib
Reactions: QFNS and Cacher

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yeah I forgot how slow yakuza 3 is, no wonder it put me off the series back in the day first time I tried it
From what little I could play from Yakuza 3, enemies block Kiryu's attack more often, and breaking their guards aren't as easy as in 0/K1/K2, leading to extra time spent even in rubbish mob fights.

I've heard there's a combat rebalance mod in the works, though.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
Your point about the lore is exactly how I felt about it. I constantly wanted to learn more about the world, but couldn't care less about the actual story it had going on. Overall, I thought the strengths outweighed the weaknesses and I really liked the game.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Since some one posted a Star Trek video.

Is that all CBS has? In the US they have a service called CBS All Access which starting tomorrow will be rebranded to Paramount+ and well compared to stuff like Hulu, Netflix,HBO Max, Disney+, Amazon Prime, well it's very laughable (I don't have peacock but I would imagine that they have much better stuff, even things like Tubi have better content than CBS All Access and that stuff is free. From what I'm seeing the main thing that they have is Nickelodeon stuff and all of the Star Trek stuff.

If one wanted to get into Star Trek where would be a good point to jump into?

By the way ABC+ FOX stuff is on Disney+ and on Hulu since Disney owns those. CW stuff is on HBO Max, NBC stuff is on Hulu and Peacock, and CBS stuff is on CBS All Access (ah yes the 4 major networks of American television)

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
All the old Star trek stuff is available on Netflix, hulu and Prime. At least the shows are but the films kinda get rotated around.

Cbs all access is only needed to watch the newer shows.

TNG is the best place to start. If you like it go back n watch the og. Sadly the mid-late 90s stuff (DS9 and Voyager) never got remaster treatment so watching them sucks with shit resolution etc. It still pisses me off these clowns made their own streaming service but didn't give those shows a modern boost.

Reactions: ExistentialThought

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
That mirrored my thoughts pretty closely. I did beat the game, which beating any game is super rare for me these days. That is usually an indication that I liked something about a game, but the story was just...okay? Like having the SCP backdrop feels like a free license for all sorts of zany happenings and yet...

Combat was also a weird point for me too. I felt like the guns could have been reduced to another power. I found myself flinging objects more than anything. Encounters also felt too frequent when exploring and made certain sections a bit of a slog.

The aesthetic and atmosphere was a large reason I kept playing.

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
Wife (who is Taiwanese) had been watching with me the old ones. She lives them. We watched enterprise and not going through voyager. They have the older stuff too. Netflix btw.

Last edited:
  • Comfy
Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I discovered today that the devs of Van Helsing also released a stand-alone tower defense game:

Anyone played this? I really enjoyed the TD levels in Van Helsing.
Yeah, it's pretty good. Maybe the only tower defence game I've ever finished. It's a spin off from the 2nd Van Helsing game that had some TD elements so they made a whole game of it.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Hmh so Bloodstained isn't super long right? I'm going to try and beat it in 10 days! But I don't have much time to play each day. I might be able to put in 2 hours per day and I would just make it accord to how long to beat.

Ah never mind, can't even get past the Solid Snake boss and I just don't like boss fights, like at all, so yeah I'm not going to try and stress myself trying to finish it.

Lol never mind again I just beat him haha

Last edited:

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
I discovered today that the devs of Van Helsing also released a stand-alone tower defense game:

Anyone played this? I really enjoyed the TD levels in Van Helsing.
Speaking of, how are the Van Helsing games? And what is "Final Cut"?

Reactions: Ge0force

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Speaking of, how are the Van Helsing games? And what is "Final Cut"?
The final cut bundles all 3 games in one huge game with 10 chapters. I'm in chapter 8 right now and I'm still having a blast. It's definitely one of the better aRPG's out there.

The only negative so far is that leveling up slows down in the last chapters, making it slightly repetitive because I don't get new skills. The great level design, funny sub quests and Katarina's humor makes up for this tho.

Tldr: very recommended for the €5 that it costs on cdkeys.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Ubisoft purging uplay accounts it seems.

We noticed that you have not recently used your Ubisoft account, which was made to the e-mail address
We have temporarily suspended your inactive Ubisoft account. The account will be permanently closed after 30 days in accordance with our terms of use.

If you want to keep your Ubisoft account at your disposal, you can cancel it by pressing the cancel button no later than 03.04.2021.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

We noticed that you have not recently used your Ubisoft account, which was made to the e-mail address
We have temporarily suspended your inactive Ubisoft account. The account will be permanently closed after 30 days in accordance with our terms of use.

If you want to keep your Ubisoft account at your disposal, you can cancel it by pressing the cancel button no later than 03.04.2021.
What in the ever-loving fuck? Are these accounts with paid games on them?

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018

How long have you not used it, approximately? Months, years? It’s shitty regardless, but I’m just curious.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Actually, out of my 4 alt accounts, the free games have been deleted from 3, and one seems to have been deleted.
I only created them to get some free Steam keys, so nothing of value is lost.

It has been years though, and I noticed years ago that the free games had been deleted (like no order history in the account information).

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
I kind of missed the deckbuilding craze people were going on about and didn't play the popular deck builders like Slay the Spire or Monster Train but Hadean Tactics is really doing it for me. If you liked those deck builder game you should keep an eye on it.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
checks your FM total hours

oh god

:toucan:

the game gives you all sorts of options to tweak difficulty/gameplay - I recommend you do that to tailor it to your tastes if you get frustrated with it. The more skills you get, the better the game gets, but I found it too frustrating at times and toned it all down a bit unless it hit the difficulty sweet spot (somewhere between being a challenge and being a breeze to play).
awesome screenshots btw!
Combat is not hard it just can get annoying because it is too long. I had similar issues with Doom 2016.

ToS says after 6 months
If I remember correctly before inactivity period was 2 years.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Guessing that after all those free giveaways, there may have been a large influx of accounts with only one game on them and they want to get rid of those in case they're being traded or something? Still doesn't seem quite right. There were a good few year where I didn't log into my Steam account after getting infatuated with HL2 Deathmatch and that being the only game I had on there through some giveaway. Pretty sure my Ubi account has also gone for at least six months without logging in before.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
How finished / polished is Valheim? Im tempted by it but dont usually start playing early access games until they are released fully.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Combat is not hard it just can get annoying because it is too long. I had similar issues with Doom 2016.
I know what you mean, yeah. I dont like overlong or near constant fights either. And the exploration and world of Control is really good on its own, it really doesnt need that much combat.

Status
Not open for further replies.