Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Well, EGS can be popular just like how Trump is popular too.

fun fact: from those I would buy every single one of them basically to support but in reality the only ones that I would like to play are GoW and Spinderman (despite the fact that I HATE spiderman as a character, but Spiderman villains are my favorite, weird, I know :upside-down-face:)
I'd buy all of those. :coffee-blob:

Top of that list is definitely God of War.
Spider-Man - provided it's the 2020 version - is amazing news as well.
I guess I may change my mind after I can see the store page. The price (base & regional) will become a factor too.

lashman texhnolyze

Tried out ATOM RPG. Created a character and finished the tutorial. This seems really promising.
Though, my character totally sucks in any form of combat at the beginning. Can't seem to hit anything, even in the tutorial. :dualbladesblob:
Sounds about right. Ammo is pretty scarce too, especially in early game. Just keep it up, the progression will be satisfying.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I guess I may change my mind after I can see the store page. The price (base & regional) will become a factor too.
Well, I'm mostly curious about Dad Kratos basically because I'm not a fan of the original trilogy but this one seems to be as action packed as the originals but with a visual style that is more appealing (under my own perspective) so yeah, definitively a game I would really consider buying.

Reactions: Shahem

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
I'm so pleased with P5S, it does so much stuff right, Atlus did good with this one.

Here's a benefit of PC gaming: my cpu is 10 years old and though it's obviously outdated for cutting edge games, the games I personally care about that are releasing right now (like P5S and the Yakuza remasters) run at flawless 60fps with max settings at 1080p. Hopefully I wont need to lower too many settings to get the same performance in Nier. It Doesn't look demanding so here's hoping that it's well optimized.
I remember thinking back then that with the budget I had I'd be better off future proofing the cpu and replacing the gpu 3 years later, I think it worked out well.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Humble Choice Day~

NGL, I am quite anxious to watch an Xbox/MS event, I feel like their showcases feature games that I am actually interested + higher chance of the games being on Steam at least.
:ohyeaht:

EDIT: Reminder that this game is getting delisted from steam so any peeps who had it on their wishlist should get it soon if they're interested

Reactions: FeedMeAStrayCat

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Frogwares claims that at some point Nacon has stopped paying them their royalties and agreed split of the games revenue. So it's certainly true that Nacon payed for the development of the game, but it's still open whether they have really fulfilled all their financial responsibilities. That's what the courts will ultimately decide.
Ultimately, I feel what Frogwares is doing here isn't very smart. It won't help them in court (I also don't believe it will hurt them directly, but no judge will agree that this is in any way "piracy") and it's actively burning any bridges they have left with Nacon and probably most other publishers too. They should have kept quiet and let the lawyers do their work.
Yeah, I didn't look into the legal matter too much, and I hope I'm not victim blaming here, but I would say that Frogware history with publishers is more than troubling. Isn't this the third game they have issues with their publisher ?
And with money being king, I would be wary of saying things like 'Nacon is ruining their rep'. They must be big enough to sustain the PR loss and their money will still attracts other devs. Frogware, on the other hand, if I was a publisher I would think really hard about funding their game right now.

All this being said while
  • I am naturally inclined to side with a dev in a dev/publisher feud
  • I am very much interested in The Sinking City. While I fully expect a mediocre game, I think it's the game's very flaws, what it tried and failed at, that make it more intriguing that 'Call of Cthulhu' (which I still have to play), which looks more vanilla.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
fun fact: from those I would buy every single one of them basically to support but in reality the only ones that I would like to play are GoW and Spinderman (despite the fact that I HATE spiderman as a character, but Spiderman villains are my favorite, weird, I know :upside-down-face:)
At first glance I would say you are a horrible human being, but... then I remember I love the character through the rose tinted glass of my youth. I don't know if they changed anything or if he was always like that, but I felt in my recent attempts at reading Spidey that they really turned the jokester / whiner side to eleven. He is insufferable.

lashman texhnolyze

Tried out ATOM RPG. Created a character and finished the tutorial. This seems really promising.
Though, my character totally sucks in any form of combat at the beginning. Can't seem to hit anything, even in the tutorial. :dualbladesblob:
So it's a CRPG in the full tradition. Flashbacks of the first few levels of every Baldur's Gate-like where the best way to survive is to never go hand to hand and equip everyone with a fucking sling :cold-sweat:

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Well, I'm mostly curious about Dad Kratos basically because I'm not a fan of the original trilogy but this one seems to be as action packed as the originals but with a visual style that is more appealing (under my own perspective) so yeah, definitively a game I would really consider buying.
I played it at launch, and I wasn't impressed. Controlling Kratos is so sluggish, and the slow scripted events (like unlocking a path with the boy) only make it worse. The low fov camera is also made exploration feel horrendous, and the levels are mostly a cramped, linear areas. So when you see a larger clearing area up front, you know that combat is happening and it gets predictable. Loots and gear upgrades felt unnecessary, only adding bloat to the game that's trying so hard to be a RPG. The combat is great though with lots of options, and it has that Sony storytelling charms to it, with all the cutscenes, setpieces, amazing characters and all.

I've seen everything I could and I definitely won't double dip.

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Dad of Boy on PC means mods
So there's that to look forward to

I agree with texhnolyze points on the combat, and his criticisms are valid. It won't be a game for everyone but it's something I am down for revisiting on PC.
Curious to see how it plays with mouse and kb xp

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
10 embargoes are supposed to be lifted today. Nothing Sony PC related I imagine.
That's interesting, how do you know about embargoes in general? Is there a specific place to look at or is this just your own circles?

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
10 embargoes are supposed to be lifted today. Nothing Sony PC related I imagine.
Saw the 10 embargos thing, that's a lot of embargos for one single day, damn

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I'm currently playing Dragon Star Varnir and actually enjoying it. I don't know why this is, but the junkfood of JRPGs that is the Galapagos RPG series/project/whatever is sometimes more appealing after a day of work than games which are "objectively" far superior in basically all aspects.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
I'm currently playing Dragon Star Varnir and actually enjoying it. I don't know why this is, but the junkfood of JRPGs that is the Galapagos RPG series/project/whatever is sometimes more appealing after a day of work than games which are "objectively" far superior in basically all aspects.
First time I have heard of it, took a look at steam - uhh are they surf floating/fighting on swords - that is amazing.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
I actually want to play this one at some point, good to know you are enjoying it :blobeyes:

They probably are not all gaming related.

I wonder about that Elden Ring thing....
but it's all industry related, so, Win win :evilblob:

Reactions: Li Kao and Shahem

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
First time I have heard of it, took a look at steam - uhh are they surf floating/fighting on swords - that is amazing.
Like (almost) always with Compile Heart games, it
i) has some nice, novel ideas regarding gameplay that no one has tried before in JRPGs, and builds a system based on them that is fun to play around with;
ii) doesn't spend nearly enough iteration time to make them balanced;
iii) adds a few more strange meta-systems on top of it;
iv) has an anime-archetype cast of female characters, which have a mechanic that reduces their already-airy costumes further;
v) and was clearly made on a budget that might not actually suffice to buy shoestrings in the current economy.

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Sometimes you just need that IF/CH jankin your life.

I should get back into Nep Nep, speaking of which.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
One more thing regarding Varnir -- the budget aspect seems particularly egregious in this one. A lot of "cutscenes" are basically a background image with a free-VN-tier fullscreen effect and badly-balanced sound effect on top of them. The only assets that had any money put into them are the character 3D and 2D models, and so naturally they are used all the time -- including the janky opening sequence which just pans around barely-animated images and seems to be the only video in the game.

I don't really mind any of that much (both in general and especially since I paid something like 7€ for the game), but it reminds me more of the very first release of the first Neptunia game rather than more recent ones which always felt like they had at least a tiny bit more wiggle room in their budget.

Edit: oh, and I almost forgot -- it does have a "4k native" rendering option which actually does 4k native rendering, but its implementation is Durante-dll-mod-ca-2011 tier, resulting in 1-pixel-borders to the right and bottom in some transitions
:toucan:

Last edited:

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I played it at launch, and I wasn't impressed. Controlling Kratos is so sluggish, and the slow scripted events (like unlocking a path with the boy) only make it worse. The low fov camera is also made exploration feel horrendous, and the levels are mostly a cramped, linear areas. So when you see a larger clearing area up front, you know that combat is happening and it gets predictable. Loots and gear upgrades felt unnecessary, only adding bloat to the game that's trying so hard to be a RPG. The combat is great though with lots of options, and it has that Sony storytelling charms to it, with all the cutscenes, setpieces, amazing characters and all.

I've seen everything I could and I definitely won't double dip.
If they learned anything from HZD, they hopefully have better controls with mouse & keyboard and better FOV on PC. the other stuff is probably there to stay.

Anyway, so, erm, is there a way to automatically block any anime in this thread and others?

Reactions: ExistentialThought

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

Reactions: Tomasety

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Hmmm... Why so? Or is that spoiler territory?
It's just the fact that action points are tied to your dex stat (capped at 10) and it helps combat a lot. It also makes you able to use any weapon you want since you aren't locked out of any of them due to high AP costs.

• This!
Reactions: Prodigy

Tizoc

Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Another one.

Ummm...this is in the highlight thread :V
Which would've been up by now if someone would apologize :V

If it is part of those 10 games, that's a bit of a bummer because I just assume X4 enthusiasts would've known about it for a while.

rybrad

Apr 22, 2019
One more thing regarding Varnir -- the budget aspect seems particularly egregious in this one. A lot of "cutscenes" are basically a background image with a free-VN-tier fullscreen effect and badly-balanced sound effect on top of them. The only assets that had any money put into them are the character 3D and 2D models, and so naturally they are used all the time -- including the janky opening sequence which just pans around barely-animated images and seems to be the only video in the game.

I don't really mind any of that much (both in general and especially since I paid something like 7€ for the game), but it reminds me more of the very first release of the first Neptunia game rather than more recent ones which always felt like they had at least a tiny bit more wiggle room in their budget.

Edit: oh, and I almost forgot -- it does have a "4k native" rendering option which actually does 4k native rendering, but its implementation is Durante-dll-mod-ca-2011 tier, resulting in 1-pixel-borders to the right and bottom in some transitions
:toucan:
I played this when I used to have Gamefly and I thought it was fun enough. Like you said, it is an easy game to pick up and put down which has its appeal after a long day. It's not something I would pay full price for, but as a rental I don't have any regrets on the time spent. I played a lot of these janky JRPGs in hopes of finding hidden gems which never really seemed to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.