Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Frogwares claims that at some point Nacon has stopped paying them their royalties and agreed split of the games revenue. So it's certainly true that Nacon payed for the development of the game, but it's still open whether they have really fulfilled all their financial responsibilities. That's what the courts will ultimately decide.
Oh yeah definitely, the wording is very specific "...and to date, more than 10 million euros have been paid... " which could mean they still owe 10mill more.
Your right will need to see the results of a court case.

Reactions: lashman

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
It wouldn't really be fair to expect giant overhaul of assets etc.
I'm sorry, I don't want to get on your case, but why?

This is the expectation for every other new game out there, the standard. On top of that, the hope and expectation of the entire industry when it comes to its major players is to keep on improving on game mechanics, if possible innovating and reinventing new ones as much as possible from one game to the next.

I don't think From's asset recycling was okay before - with the exception of a few iconic sounds - and it is even less so with a new franchise that has no lore DNA in common with the Souls series.

That being said, as Fantomena pointed out, those may also be placeholders. This is a leak, not footage intended for release.

• This!
Reactions: Li Kao

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
I'm sorry, I don't want to get on your case, but why?

This is the expectation for every other new game out there, the standard. On top of that, the hope and expectation of the entire industry when it comes to its major players is to keep on improving on game mechanics, if possible innovating and reinventing new ones as much as possible from one game to the next.

I don't think From's asset recycling was okay before - with the exception of a few iconic sounds - and it is even less so with a new franchise that has no lore DNA in common with the Souls series.

That being said, as Fantomena pointed out, those may also be placeholders. This is a leak, not footage intended for release.
Jumping to an open world from what they did b4 is a pretty big change. The shortcuts, boss encounters, secret rooms, pvp/pve, story telling, exploration, difficulty etc should all feel different. Its a worthy sequel to Dark Souls 3 if that is what people want to label it. One of the leaks also shows a brief small jump maneuver so that already could make the game feel like Sekiro in some instance so we just don't know all the mechanics the game will have or how they feel. There could be a lot of RPG/stats/build stuff that makes it very unique compared to previous games now that there is an open world. The horse combat alone adds an entire new cool thing and with FROM it absolutely gonna be well thought out.

As for the assets its dark medieval fantasy. I don't really see how they could overhaul it unless they change settings like Bloodborne. Or the entire engine. Maybe they could make it more anime but I don't know if people will changes like that.

Reactions: lashman and Swenhir

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Now that I've parsed through 6 whole pages of this thread, thanks for posting it as always, lashman . No idea why Tizoc is holding the Highlight thread hostage though. But I'm sure if you say "Yes, I do like Anime" once it will all be forgiven. :dana_blanket:

Ask them for Steam ports, don't feel this is begging, they are asking for your opinion, so, the more people, the better.
MC rep+

Please remake these two!
TIL there is a DS version of Front Mission. Is it based from the SNES version?

Also if they do remake Drakengard, I hope they'll keep the jankiness. Yoko Taro's games wouldn't be the same without it.

How's Ryza 2 port?
It's pretty good for the most part, but their FXAA is still ineffective as they were in the first game. SSAA via DSR still remain the most effective AA solution, although with a cost since with all the post-processing effects it manages to bring down my 1080Ti to lower 45fps.

The 1bitHeart OST is just a banger
Now that I've found this thread:

Please consider posting in it as well so it won't just be me posting random PC-98 music. :dana_blanket:

Last edited:

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Jumping to an open world from what they did b4 is a pretty big change. The shortcuts, boss encounters, secret rooms, pvp/pve, story telling, exploration, difficulty etc should all feel different. Its a worthy sequel to Dark Souls 3 if that is what people want to label it. One of the leaks also shows a brief small jump maneuver so that already could make the game feel like Sekiro in some instance so we just don't know all the mechanics the game will have or how they feel. There could be a lot of RPG/stats/build stuff that makes it very unique compared to previous games now that there is an open world. The horse combat alone adds an entire new cool thing and with FROM it absolutely gonna be well thought out.

As for the assets its dark medieval fantasy. I don't really see how they could overhaul it unless they change settings like Bloodborne. Or the entire engine. Maybe they could make it more anime but I don't know if people will changes like that.
I agree with you from a game design standpoint, assuming they have found new answers for those elements that fit the open-world format. Still, many animations and outfits appear to be lifted from DS3 from that leaked trailer, with the caveat that they could also be placeholders, which is utterly normal in game development.

The setting being dark medieval-fantasy doesn't mean you can't author new ones either, otherwise you'd have no new original armor from TW2 to TW3, or from Dragon Age Origins to 2. Overall, I don't really see a good way to justify a hypothetically large amount of recycling there. Art isn't so limited that you can't figure out new armors, new designs. That's actually one of the core competencies of character/concept artists.

On the topic of engine, not having a "new" one doesn't mean that there hasn't been any change or improvements, which with complete certainty have had to happen, to begin with because these things happen all the time at any studio worth its salt, and also because of the jump in gen and change in format. Even without that, the increase in hardware means that assets not being improved/redesigned is just unacceptable. Overall... Sorry, I don't agree :).

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
The only 60$ no-regional pricing remake that I would buy from Square is Bushido Blade 2's.

Edit: Just read the article

"Forever Entertainment has entered into an agreement to develop and release multiple game remakes based on [UWSL]one[/UWSL] intellectual property owned by Square Enix Japan, the company announced. The name of this property will be announced separately at the launch of a worldwide marketing campaign."

What one IP could this be? Ogre? Front Mission? Watch them give us Star Ocean lmao

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

z1ggy

No Anime
Apr 17, 2019
I haven't watched any of the elden ring leaks and I don't intend to. I'm not that hungry for news that I'd look at some old potatocam footage.
:wd_cutato:
I upscalled the clips and made them 60 fps if you are interested

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
PC-tan It's a joke about GameXplain making 20 minute videos analysing a 30 second teaser or trailer. I just don't know who the equivalent Sony channel would be so i said GameXplain. :)

edit: Oh, there's 3 leaked videos now aren't there? I'm sure some channels will be going through them almost frame-by-frame to get a bunch of videos out while it's hot. People are starved of Elden Ring info so this stuff is an Oasis in a desert at the moment. heh.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
TIL there is a DS version of Front Mission. Is it based from the SNES version?

Also if they do remake Drakengard, I hope they'll keep the jankiness. Yoko Taro's games wouldn't be the same without it.
It's based on the PS version, so it has the extra story. They also added some characters and missions. But it retains the cut of weapon introduction movie from PS version.

P.S. I got all these info from a Japanese wiki lol. Haven't played the game yet.

The only 60$ no-regional pricing remake that I would buy from Square is Bushido Blade 2's.

Edit: Just read the article

"Forever Entertainment has entered into an agreement to develop and release multiple game remakes based on one intellectual property owned by Square Enix Japan, the company announced. The name of this property will be announced separately at the launch of a worldwide marketing campaign."

What one IP could this be? Ogre? Front Mission? Watch them give us Star Ocean lmao
I think the possibility of it being Star Ocean is slim when they have port the original games to PS4 already. This is likely related to some abandoned franchises of SQEX like Front Mission and Bushido Blade.

• Comfy
Reactions: Kvik

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I'm replaying the OG Splinter Cell. Man, this game is OLD. If it wasn't because I already know how to beat it by heart, I'd drop it instantly lmao

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
PC-tan It's a joke about GameXplain making 20 minute videos analysing a 30 second teaser or trailer. I just don't know who the equivalent Sony channel would be so i said GameXplain. :)

edit: Oh, there's 3 leaked videos now aren't there? I'm sure some channels will be going through them almost frame-by-frame to get a bunch of videos out while it's hot. People are starved of Elden Ring info so this stuff is an Oasis in a desert at the moment. heh.
Okay my main thing just has to do with how Gamexplain is almost strictly just Nintendo only news. So something like Elden Ring would be a big surprise. And yess there was the whole FFVIIR thing that they did.....but that didn't end well
-------

It's NSFW
Hidden content
You are not allowed to view this content

Last edited:

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Looks like Valve, Ubisoft, kChamp, Rust & CDPR got some extra time to answer Antitrust lawsuit (Sean vs Valve).

I sure hope that furniture store from colorado (Rust LLC) shows up and goes "uhh... no idea what the fucks going on about digital games but do I sure have a deal on a couch!"

Unless the guy really hates furniture as well as pc game pricing

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020
Happy March thread! Absolutely surreal it is already March 2021. It has been a year since the quarantine and almost a year since I started working from home. I remember leaving the office and being told we would be back in two weeks or so. Well that plan did not last long. Now it is looking like maybe summer or fall, at the earliest.

____
I love classic shoot 'em ups and have been playing this title.

It is perfect for beginners and veterans. It has both a story and arcade mode. The story mode has been extremely forgiving while still offering up a challenge for folks who want one. You can unlock different weapons, sub-weapons, and special/cover items and change loadouts prior to each story mission.

I also enjoy the bullet trajectory that the game shows. If a bullet is in your path, the game will show the trajectory it will follow. You can turn this off, have it be only on for shots near you, or turn it on for all shots. It is such a simple concept, I cannot think of any other titles that have had something like this? Now having had it, I wish more shmups had this option since it would help with planning routes.
____

Never assume Square Enix wants to give an outside developer access to their Japanese IPs.
They don't.
It's always, always Eidos stuff.
Expect crappy Legacy of Kain remasters.
Oh wow, now that you mention it. Square Enix removing Legacy of Kain from sale, may be an indication that this is the planned remaster.

Nabs

Hyper˗Toxic Pro˗Consumer
Oct 23, 2018
I think I missed this. Control (Basic) - 29.99. Season Pass - 14.99, Ultimate Edition - 39.99.

Reactions: lashman

Blu

MetaMember
Mar 12, 2019
Damn we're really only going to get the base Control when they could've given just the Ultimate Edition. They thought it was better to separate the DLC from the game so they can maybe try and grab some DLC purchases.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Control Ultimate edition is still for sale, just get that? Why would anyone buy it piecemeal unless you really hate the DLC and want to save $10?

sk2k

Steam New Releases Warrior
Dec 8, 2018
Somewhere else
I bought The Sinking City on Greenmangaming für 12 Euro.
Sorry, Frogwares. Your base version of the game currently costs 42 Euro on Gamesplanet and the Deluxe version is at 55 Euro. :( On Origin it costs even more.

Last edited:
  • This!
Reactions: Li Kao and LEANIJA

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Out of these, my buy list would be:

✅Bloodborne
❌ Uncharted
❌ God of War
✅ Ghost of Sushima
❌ Spiderman
fun fact: from those I would buy every single one of them basically to support but in reality the only ones that I would like to play are GoW and Spinderman (despite the fact that I HATE spiderman as a character, but Spiderman villains are my favorite, weird, I know :upside-down-face:)

• Hug
Reactions: Shahem and LEANIJA

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Humble Choice is basically a subscription to get base games and be enticed to purchase DLC. It is a business model in-between F2P and P2P.

As for Control, what is smarter than usual is that we will have a choice between the base game on Steam or the "ultimate" experience on EGS. :troll:

• This!
  • Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety and Li Kao

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Is any of the Control dlc even needed to get the full story or are they just optional content?

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

Nacon then requested keys from Steam to commercialize the game on platforms where Nacon doesn’t have any rights to commercialize the game in order to extend their market with a pirated and hacked version of the game and prevent Frogwares from getting any money from their property.

Last edited:
Reactions: prudis

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Is any of the Control dlc even needed to get the full story or are they just optional content?
Foundation gives you more perspective about the general picture of the Bureau, The Oldest House and The Board.

AWE is literally a linking bridge to the next Remedy game which is, most likely, AW2 given how this DLC ended.

needed? no
recommended? yeah, why not.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Never assume Square Enix wants to give an outside developer access to their Japanese IPs.
They don't.
I always preferred the Eidos stuff anyway =) I quite liked SE as a publisher for a while, but mostly for the Eidos stuff. TR, Hitman (until IOI went independent), Deus Ex, Thief...and of course the old Eidos games.

I bought The Sinking City on Greenmangaming für 12 Euro.
Sorry, Frogwares. Your base version of the game currently costs 42 Euro on Gamesplanet and the Deluxe version is at 55 Euro. :( On Origin it costs even more.
Yeah... I did too. I mulled over it for a minute (as can be witnessed in my previous post) and then got it.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
They don't.
The partnership announcement says that it's a Square Enix Japan IP though, and Square Enix has partnered with outside studios plenty of times for new games or remakes of their JP IPs.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
Out of these, my buy list would be:

✅Bloodborne
❌ Uncharted
❌ God of War
✅ Ghost of Sushima
❌ Spiderman
I'd buy all of those. :coffee-blob:

Top of that list is definitely God of War.
Spider-Man - provided it's the 2020 version - is amazing news as well.

• This!
Reactions: Cacher

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France

One of the things that makes GeForce NOW unique is that it connects to popular PC games stores — Steam, Epic Games Store, Ubisoft Connect and more — so gamers can play the same PC version of games their friends are playing.
:lul:

In our next blog, we’ll talk about how we bring your games to GeForce NOW.
:cho:

• Toucan
Reactions: C-Dub
Status
Not open for further replies.