Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
at least i'd get a refund on the KS (or else)
I've just looked at the KS page and there's no update about it at the moment and it still says Steam on the page but i'll keep checking to see if anything changes and maybe ask a question in the backer comments section in a day or so.

Reactions: lashman

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
started playing BioShock Infinite for the first time the other night, and it's actually a pretty good linear FPS, at least when evaluated independently from the ridiculous hype and misleading marketing that made it out to be a full-fledged immersive sim with open-ended gameplay and the greatest narrative in the history of gaming. I'd say the actual gameplay is definitely better than the original BioShock even if the atmosphere, story, and world-building aren't up to par

Reactions: Tomasety

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
How long until Epic buys Iron Gate? :unsure:
Valheim is published by Coffee Stain which is owned by Embracer, Aka the studio that buys up 50 other studios a year. They invested in Deep Rock's devs Ghost Ship right after partnering with them, There's no way they aren't gonna buy up Iron Gate too.

Reactions: ExistentialThought
Added GMG deals

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020

New historical low.
I know it was given for free on Epic store past Winter but the game is really worth the money. It's not up to everybody's taste as it has one flaw, it might get grindy.

And there's a bunch of Square-Enix games on sale on GreenManGaming, also historical lows such as
Children of Zodiarcs -75% - 4,43€
Blood Omen 2: Legacy of Kain -88% - 0.69€
Thief II: The Metal Age -89% -0,80€
The Turing Test -88% - 2,46€
Deus Ex Invisible War -89% -0.80€
Thief Deadly Shadows -91% - 0,81€
Dungeon Siege II -89% - 0,80€
Dungeon Siege -89% - 0,80€
Thief -88% - 2,46€

Edit. Sorry lashman again edited on threadmarks :(

Reason: Sorry lashman!!!
Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
started playing BioShock Infinite for the first time the other night, and it's actually a pretty good linear FPS, at least when evaluated independently from the ridiculous hype and misleading marketing that made it out to be a full-fledged immersive sim with open-ended gameplay and the greatest narrative in the history of gaming. I'd say the actual gameplay is definitely better than the original BioShock even if the atmosphere, story, and world-building aren't up to par
Eeeeh
It may come off great on a first playthrough, but when I replayed it months ago, I've come to observe just how uninspired the design and encounters are.
It's just a bog standard shooty bang when all is said and done. I wrote about it in one of the older threads-
.. IMO it's a game with a strong start, but afterwards is slowly becomes undone. The areas you explored all came off as small areas that are stitched together as if each group of the team working on the game was assigned a specific area to design then the end product of the game stitched them together.
It has a great start, but then once it becomes a linear shooty bang it loses momentum really fast IMO

Once you finished playing the game, check out these videos

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Once you finished playing the game, check out these videos

That vision, while really interesting, was in no way realistic. Would require to have basically every moment to be scripted and that doesn't scale to a long game, which is what they had to deliver. A sequel to Bioshock.

I'm really interested in the new project of Ken Levine, which seems to build on this idea of truly interactive AI and story telling in games. It's been quite a few years that Levine has been working on it, I think. Really curious if anything will come out of it.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I mean, E**c buying studios is always shit, and its - like Rocket League - a clear attempt to directly buy successful games off of Steam. Just after the fact, and after the fad. I mean, the game was fun for a while, sure, but it surely also didnt last, eh?
Sweeney seems to be specifically targeting indie studios with big multiplayer hits.
I feel like Epic are misreading the market completely (wouldn't be the first time). It's very rare (did it ever happen?) that these out-of-nowhere indie hits result in equivalent or even greater successes from the same developers later on.

Instead, they are eventually (often pretty quickly these days) supplanted by a different indie hit that seems like it came out of nowhere and captured the audience due to some unpredictable combination of factors. And often that happens on Steam, because it offers a better chance for previously unknown games and developers to find success.

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020
Bioshock Infinte sucks by the virtue of 'both siding' a revolution of literal slaves
I haven't gotten to that part, but notice I'm not praising the story or world-building. i.e. the vigors are fun to use but seem to be there mainly because it has BioShock in the title and people would expect an equivalent to the plasmids from that game; there's no sense that being able to freely give yourself superhuman powers has shaped Columbia in any meaningful way

also, Columbia never feels like an actual lived-in city as opposed to an artificial amusement-park-style recreation thereof, which is something I also felt about Rapture in the first BioShock but which is heightened in Infinite due to the increased linearity and stuff like the skyhook. the game also makes you spend a large chunk of its early hours traipsing through what are meant in the context of the game's own story to be distorted, theme-park recreations of Columbia's "actual" history, which leads me to wonder if the designers were aware of the irony there

and Elizabeth really does look distractingly like a Disney princess. same facial proportions, same sort of facial expressions, etc

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
I haven't gotten to that part, but notice I'm not praising the story or world-building. i.e. the vigors are fun to use but seem to be there mainly because it has BioShock in the title and people would expect an equivalent to the plasmids from that game; there's no sense that being able to freely give yourself superhuman powers has shaped Columbia in any meaningful way

also, Columbia never feels like an actual lived-in city as opposed to an artificial amusement-park-style recreation thereof, which is something I also felt about Rapture in the first BioShock but which is heightened in Infinite due to the increased linearity and stuff like the skyhook. the game also makes you spend a large chunk of its early hours traipsing through what are meant in the context of the game's own story to be distorted, theme-park recreations of Columbia's "actual" history, which leads me to wonder if the designers were aware of the irony there

and Elizabeth really does look distractingly like a Disney princess. same facial proportions, same sort of facial expressions, etc
Bioshock Infinite is one of those game where the capitalist interests of pumping out another Bioshock game overrode the artistic intent of the series. And worse, the writer picked themes he, as made evident on this game, has a poor grasp of, or is completely wrong about them.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I feel like Epic are misreading the market completely (wouldn't be the first time). It's very rare (did it ever happen?) that these out-of-nowhere indie hits result in equivalent or even greater successes from the same developers later on.
I'm not sure they care about the developer's future games. I think what Epic is obsessed with is a strategy to appear cool to a teenage crowd. I think that's what their success with Fortnite has taught them, and it lines up with their silly legal antics like they're taking on the tech industry dinosaurs or something. Free games to people with no money (teenagers). Epic thinks they're going to get their future customers from that poo. Er pool, I mean pool. Typo.

TioChuck

More Yellow 🤷‍♂️
Dec 31, 2018
Epic isn't buying the game or the developer, they don't care about it, as what happened to Rocket League, they are buying numbers.

Force everyone on a big game to use your shit account system to buff your player numbers and then: look! Now we have 10mi more players all of the sudden, we growing fast!

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
Remember that Epic still hasn't brought any of their older Unreal games to EGS. You know, games they developed and published themselves.

Cautiously optimistic about the Aliens game. I always wanted a good Colonial Marines COOP game, but it's a no name dev and the animations look kinda janky. We'll see how it ends up on release.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Humble Elex Bundle, woo.
Will definitely pick it up down the line, but not right now. Too much to play, lol.

It's probably an overall bad deal for Control though. I'll bet buying the entire Ultimate Edition on sale will be cheaper than picking up just the DLCs on their own.

Reactions: Arsene

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
[UWSL]Yes if EPIC are the publisher or developer, then I agree with what you wrote.[/UWSL]
In case of fall guys, I'd rather call them the assimilator. While not as bad as money hatting 3rd party games, Epic keeps locking games from the most popular/successful developers to their store. This goes straight against the open nature of pc gaming, and takes us several steps back after a generation where several big publishers went multi-store with their games.

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
We still don't know how much Forza Horizon 4 is going to cost, right? Kinda hope it's gonna be reasonable, or at least have a healthy launch discount. Really wanna buy it but if it's full price then I'll probably have to wait.

Also fucking lol at Epic buying Fall Guys after all this time. It barely cracks Steam's top 100 current player counts these days. It was 98th earlier, it's not even there now. I had a solid month of fun with it and it sucks if they pull it from Steam but at this point, I couldn't care less about the game. Still a shitty move but I have to laugh at their constant failure to secure a hit. They can't even acquire them after the fact, somehow.

Kinda worried about Valheim now but I guess it's not that likely given what people have pointed out above about Embracer/Coffee Stain.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Holy shit I can't believe I'm still sitting here trying to figure out what to do with this WWE key. Do I redeem it? Or ... I mean anything else. Can I just leave it?

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I really loved X2 - the Threat and then X3 but then they seems to go for a different type of game for the next one (was it X-rebirth?) and it just didnt do it for me.

Is X4 a return to the old style of space sim?
Nothing beats X3 AP yet. And not even talking about Litcube mod (which I spent hundreds of hours in)

inky

🤔
Apr 17, 2019

Instead, they are eventually (often pretty quickly these days) supplanted by a different indie hit that seems like it came out of nowhere and captured the audience due to some unpredictable combination of factors. And often that happens on Steam, because it offers a better chance for previously unknown games and developers to find success.
They are buying accounts growth and numbers (with the added benefit of taking them away from Steam top charts) not developers they believe in, unfortunately.

But yeah, it's not an environment conducive to games exploding out of the blue. Maybe it's better that way.

Pogi

illiterate
Jun 25, 2019
Mediatonic is one of the very few devs with good PlayStation minis back in the day. Hopefully, that studio will get a bigger budget and a longer leash in developing a new game with the Epic acquisition.

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Bonfires Down

Nov 18, 2019

Yeah, I've been saying this. Epic really messed up by not adding a wide variety of indie games to the store and missing out on huge hits like Valheim, Fall Guys, Among Us and Phasmophobia. Having those available would have helped them more than focusing so hard on exclusives.

It's been quite a while since I played it but I definitely enjoyed the gameplay in Infinite more than in the original. It's cool to have diverse plasmids available in the original, but in the end I just stick with the offense style plasmids similar to those in Infinite. And the combat in Infinite feels so much better in general. And no boring hacking. Elisabeth is great and I liked the story. Overall I loved Infinite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.