Community MetaSteam | March 2021 - The Home of Obscure Indie Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
What's weird/fun is that I also do enjoy AAA games, like Im very excited for Deathloop, REVillage, Ratchet, Ragnarok etc. But I usually spend more time with indie games that those aaa games. Like I can play and finish Village for about 15 hours (usually the playtime for RE), but I can probably spend more than 15 hours on Loop Hero.

Last edited:

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
I'm still super impressed by Loop Hero. What an unique take on roguelite deckbuilders.
I always welcome games that expand on a formula.
Slay the spire was the first Roguelite Deckbuilder and brought tons of deckbuilders in the market.
Monster Train took the same idea but used it with lines and units.
Now Loop Hero has another twist to it.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I'm watching Cricket on my TV so I need a game to stream to my netbook. Was thinking of Total War. Which out of these is the best....

Rome Collection
Rome Alexander
Shogun
Empire
Medieval 2
Napoleon
Shogun 2

?

EDIT - actually, i just picked up Loop Hero as it sounds pretty good so im going to give that a bash.

Last edited:
Reactions: MegaApple

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

Atlus released their annual survey. They mention Steam versions of games alongside other platforms. I wouldn't take it as a guarantee of more Atlus games hitting Steam, but it shows they are interested.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I want to say that I’ve also seen games with a critic score in their icon. Very offputting, but I get it.
I was gonna mention it, game banners with the metacritic score on it. Meh.

Reactions: Tomasety

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I've noticed that the EA play subscription has been in the top ~25 global top sellers for a pretty long time now. That doesn't seem like much, but when you consider that it's ordered by revenue and that it costs 0.79€ I really wonder how many subscribers they currently have on Steam.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
I've noticed that the EA play subscription has been in the top ~25 global top sellers for a pretty long time now. That doesn't seem like much, but when you consider that it's ordered by revenue and that it costs 0.79€ I really wonder how many subscribers they currently have on Steam.
at this point probably more than on origin :p

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
Only first month is 0.79€ people might be continuing sub by second month or maybe even one year pack (though that probably would be separate entry)

But it's surprising that other publishers haven't tried to make their subs.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018

Atlus released their annual survey. They mention Steam versions of games alongside other platforms. I wouldn't take it as a guarantee of more Atlus games hitting Steam, but it shows they are interested.
Last year they did this too, so, it's a good thing, I always do the survey each year haha, it takes me 1 hour or so. :upside-down-face:

Reactions: ExistentialThought

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Interesting.

In fact, I'm going to sub tomorrow as the deadline for the $1 deal will be over soon. Additional 10% discount for EA games purchase is neat too. I might use it for the Mass Effect Trilogy,

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
How do I show I am purchasing an auto renewal for humble? Do I just add my new payment option and remove my old one to keep choice while under VPN? Or remote control my mothers laptop?

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Only first month is 0.79€ people might be continuing sub by second month or maybe even one year pack (though that probably would be separate entry)

But it's surprising that other publishers haven't tried to make their subs.
Hmm, I didn't consider that renewals might also contribute to the placement on the chart. I wonder how that works internally.

Interesting.

In fact, I'm going to sub tomorrow as the deadline for the $1 deal will be over soon. Additional 10% discount for EA games purchase is neat too. I might use it for the Mass Effect Trilogy,
Yeah with the current pricing it's particularly silly, since it's a lot less than you save on most games. (In fact, even at the full price, one month is less than you get in savings if you buy one 60€ game from EA; though I don't know why you'd do that :p)

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com

Huh...whadya know...

• Love
Reactions: Li Kao

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
So with this whole NFTs (non-fungible tokens) hotness lately, I was thinking again about digital game/media trade and if something akin to NFTs could play a part in this. Steam trading cards already operate in a similar type of relationship to game sales with them only coming with a game, being "unique" in a way and completely made-up goods that are traded on a digital market and both developers and the marketplace operator get a commission of each sale. They can, however, be used up or destroyed in the process of creating a badge or leveling one up.

I'm not much of an economist, but -- to me -- it seems like a similar idea applied to digital licenses wouldn't be realistically possible unless A. digital sales are artificially supply constrained, presuming all digital sales come with a NFT that represents ownership of said product (undesirable), or; B. NFTs are only available in limited quantities, e.g. as part of a limited "digital deluxe" package (a dead end), or; C. the NFTs have a limited lifespan or are used up in the process of trading (another dead end).

This last one is perhaps the least unrealistic if the "second-hand" price is limited on the bottom end so that it can't be sold at a price that makes it so the developer's commission of the sale (presuming this system operates under Steam marketplace rules) is lower than the game's historically lowest price on the same store. But this still makes it so buying "second-hand" is only worthwhile when a game isn't discounted and you're impatient (presuming the seller's cut adds a non-zero amount on top of the dev and marketplace commission of the historical low price), while also making "new" sales much less desirable given the availability of a cheaper "second-hand" copy if you have money to burn and don't care about reselling, which, given that this is the current situation and people are okay with it so far, will probably be a large part of sales. So, again, less money in developers' pockets, among other possible effects.

Just thinking out loud here so speak. Being able to trade licenses for games you bought would be real nice, but because digital goods don't deteriorate it seems like doing so will gradually erode the value of "new" sales if the NFT market doesn't operate under some very limiting conditions, kind of defeating the point of the whole thing. Plus, the existence of a NFT-driven ownership system would basically act as DRM and seems like it would lead us into the always-online hellscape all the quicker.

Last edited:

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Being able to trade licenses for games you bought would be real nice, but because digital goods don't deteriorate it seems like doing so will gradually erode the value of "new" sales if the NFT market doesn't operate under some very limiting conditions, kind of defeating the point of the whole thing.
I imagine there are ways the Monsantos of gaming (EA, Ubisoft,...) could make this "work". They could limit the amount of allowed license transfers while also decreasing their value:
  • Brand new: 60$, can be resold/traded for two thirds of the value (40$) and DLCs are lost.
  • Second-hand: bought for 40$, can be resold/traded for one third of the original price (20$) and DLCs are lost.
  • Third-hand: bought for 20$, cannot be resold.

So yeah... license rot would be right up their alley.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I don't mind ads in banners that only show up in the store.

I do mind ads, and even stuff like ratings, in images that only show up in the library.
I already bought your game, just give me some nice artwork.
At least with library assets, you have the option for replacing it with your own edits
No such luck with store ones.

Prodigy

Sleeper must awaken
Dec 9, 2018
Ubisoft needs to bring their sub asap so I can just by AC Valhalla and Watch Dogs Legion. Also Steam achievements like EA did would be nice too.
Yeah it was actually a good two months with Ubisoft+ when I subbed to play Legion, then Valhalla came out, then Fenix.

Readher

Resident Cynic
Jun 23, 2020
Poland
On top of having Steam as an option in various platform related questions, there are questions about Steam in particular as well.

Q12: To those who have played games on a personal computer (Windows) or personal computer (Mac). Do you use Steam to play games on your computer? If you do, please answer the last time you played on Steam.
Q15: To those who have played games on Steam. How much time do you spend playing games on Steam on average per day?

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I don't expect any new Sony PC versions to be announced until sometime after Days Gone is out and Days Gone doesn't have a date yet.

If not I will be positively suprised.

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I don't expect any new Sony PC versions to be announced until sometime after Days Gone is out and Days Gone doesn't have a date yet.

If not I will be positively suprised.
Yeah it will be a while before that "slate" of SIE PC games is announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.