Community MetaSteam | March 2022 - Try Finger But Hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Small rant. I saw so many people on different places that try to argue Breath of the Wild 2 or Starfield will not be able to compete with Elden Ring in GOTY.

Geez, I mean Elden Ring is absolutely a great game, but this kind of discourse is so stupid. Can't we all celebrate rather than comparing dick sizes? It's only February, we know literally nothing about Botw 2 and Starfield at this moment, and I am sure that all three of them will be great games in their own way. I remember back in 2015, every time a GOTY award was given to Witcher 3, someone had to jump out and said Bloodborne was robbed. I don't think there are insufferable fans like these on MC, but god are they annoying.
Im not sure why people even argue so much about stuff like this -- things like "game of the year" will always be highly subjective.
to me it was RE Village last year, to Eurogamer it was Unpacking, to others it mightve been some football or racing game. Comparing these things, making lists, holding votes like we do, is all good fun but those that take these discussions seriously and defend "their" game, come on, theres something not right with these people.
But its the same with fanboys all over, I guess, they identify with something and feel the need to champion it because it became a part of them. I ocassionally see PlayStation or Xbox-fanboy accounts on Twitter and Im always fascinated how they became like that.

oh and same goes to those that want to somehow pin the "GOAT" label to various sportspeople or teams and fight over that.

Its bonkers and people are weird. If they'd only invest that energy in making an impact for the better somewhere....

I also have that achievement I just don't know how to post screenshots here. I'm dumb lmao
as someone recommended to me, you can upload easily with www.abload.de (although that is in German)
I know Mor already added you anyway based solely on trust, but if you need to upload images in the future :)

Fluffpuff

Jul 20, 2021
I was browsing the itch.io Ukraine Charity Bundle submission thread and it looks like this is going to be another good one. On top of the great games that have shown up in past bundles (A Short Hike, Celeste, Hidden Folks, Minit), there are plenty of new additions (assuming they are accepted):

Crosscode
Wandersong
Skatebird
Quadrilateral Cowboy
a bunch of Raw Fury games
Inmost
Summer in Mara

Not to mention all the hidden gems.

Deleted member 113

But things have dramatically changed and Valve has to be already thinking about implementing changes, the more companies cut out Russia (doesn't matter if it's purely a PR move), the worse Valve will look without any actions or statements. It's also not only about users, they have to better protect their business partners or at least give them better tools to protect themselves.
I hope you're right, but sadly, I don't think they will do anything.
It's their "thing", the hands-off approach. Plus, they clearly don't want to piss off their Russian and Chinese partners, with fear of being banned there, and the users doing this toxic campaign mostly come from these places.

Nowadays, Steam is quite an unpleasant, toxic place. It's true social media platforms are as well, but Steam's community tools are nowhere near as effective as the ones users have in social media platforms (to block content and interactions from certain users, filter/exclude words, ...), so you have to "put up" with a lot of crap if you check your updates/community feed, forums, or store page.

Sol Cresta bomba.
If it's in terms of sales, I kind of agree (although, I doubt they expected particularly big sales, shmups are a nice genre, especially titles selling at full price).

If it's in terms of the quality of the game, I highly disagree. The game is a blast. Pure arcade perfection, a marvellous "classic" (non-bullet hell) shmup, with plenty of cool game mechanics, various unlockables and modes, and an insane soundtrack by Yuzo Koshiro.

I know most people (outside of fans of the genre) don't see shmups as "worthy" of selling for 40€, and that is something I can understand (these are usually short games, that fans of the genre play for countless hours, but some are just interested in "finishing" it, and move on), although I'll never understand how then these same people are willing to pay more than that for a cosmetic on a "free to play" title, or how they are willing to buy 5/6/7 yearly season passes for a Ubisoft game, that grant you a couple of cosmetics, and not much more, but different folks, different strokes. :)
But, the game is well worth checking out, so hopefully it will reach a greater audience when it has a sale in the future.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
You say this, yet the Japanese Elden Ring SKU outsold the global ones on Steam last week.
Clearly there is an audience there.
Do I understand this sentence clearly ? What ? That’s incredible. ER JP sold more on Steam than ER Global ?

• This!
Reactions: Tomasety

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Yes

If you click on the first entry it shows that it's JP only.
I guess if you combine #2 and #3 then they'll beat #1, but it's still an incredible showing.
To be fair I was shocked when I read that it had sold more copies in Japan than in the rest of the world but didn't know where the info came from.
If the info I pressume comes from Steamdb top sellers list as provided in the previous link I'm afraid that might be not the full picture of it.

The ranking is sorted out by revenue not by number of units sold. And in case of Japan (first entry) its SKU it's the most expensive around the globe and not by a small margin compared to EU for instance.

All we know is that the game sold extremely well but we can't take as guaranteed Japanese version sold more than the rest of the world SKU (number #3) and it would be crazy if it did. I'm not saying it wasn't possible but hard to believe at first.

Anyways we will need to wait for proper sales report to know exactly the truth behind this.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I hope you're right, but sadly, I don't think they will do anything.
It's their "thing", the hands-off approach. Plus, they clearly don't want to piss off their Russian and Chinese partners, with fear of being banned there, and the users doing this toxic campaign mostly come from these places.

Nowadays, Steam is quite an unpleasant, toxic place. It's true social media platforms are as well, but Steam's community tools are nowhere near as effective as the ones users have in social media platforms (to block content and interactions from certain users, filter/exclude words, ...), so you have to "put up" with a lot of crap if you check your updates/community feed, forums, or store page.
I hardly see this stuff because I dont use the social media aspect of Steam but for a few reasons: check friend activitiy to see if any of you played/purchased interesting games; or guides/troubleshooting/workshop.

But it would be LOVELY if you had more tools at your hand regarding blocking topics, users, keywords, etc. You can of course block users, but you'll still see their threads, you cant hide/ignore/block threads. That would be great – also blocking keywords would go a long while. that makes twitter better, for example

Im generally for the hands-off approach but there should be tools in place for moderation. Downvoting for example (resulting in hiding vile posts automatically), reporting should have more of an impact. Maybe faster blocking of trolls. I dunno. Valve probably is aware of this, but they are quite slow to act... and now theyre probably so focused on Deck that other stuff might get even slower?

Mona

The Giveaway Gal
AI
Jul 10, 2021

Giveaway

Restrictions & Conditions:

Hello, I'm the Giveaway Bot! hersheyfan is giving away 2 gift(s).

This is a first-come, first-served giveaway. Once you enter, your key will be delivered to you instantly via a PM.

Extra keys from the boomer shooter bundle. Enjoy!

The following games are being given away:

• Amid Evil
    • won by Deku
    • (3 entries)
    • Project Warlock
    • won by --------
    • (1 entries)

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Origins market share is surprisingly big in uk

What's really funny is that Bigfish games is like 97% hidden object games and more importantly probably 99% supported by peoples moms
I had to help mine with it once and there's like elaborate series and mega sequels and it has its own launcher and .exe installers a shopping cart and huge sales, loyalty meter with like buy x get a free game, it's crazy. Which now thinking back on it makes the epic games store thing look even dumber

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
I've skipped a lot of monthly bundles lately but if that's the price to get better normal bundles (where, btw, can give way higher percentage to charity) than so be it I guess. Of course I just finally bit on HROT during the last sale but I have none of the others

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
I've skipped a lot of monthly bundles lately but if that's the price to get better normal bundles (where, btw, can give way higher percentage to charity) than so be it I guess. Of course I just finally bit on HROT during the last sale but I have none of the others
Is dread templar any good?

• This!

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
I've been playing a bit of Instruments of Destruction on Steam Deck and not only does it run decently well the included controller config is mostly well thought out. I'd probably change a thing or two but overall it's really solid.
Been loving your Steam Deck videos on youtube! Are you planning on making some more emulation videos (PS2, Wii U)? So unfortunate how Nintendo took down your Yuzu video. Nintendo makes incredible games but as a company, they still stuck in feudal Japan :disapproval-blob:

Deleted member 113

I love it. Of the games in the genre currently on early access, it's the one I'm most looking forward to, in terms of "final" version, since the game is a lot of fun since the first version.

It's fast paced, it has melee weapons (katanas, that can the changed in the alternate fire into a throwable mode that is quite powerful), it has a multitude of weapons that you can "customize" by inserting runes that change it's attributes (make it more powerful, make it shoot faster, ...), and a rather impressive soundtrack. I'm not even a fan of most "hard" genres of music, but this soundtrack is insanely catchy, an awesome mix between industrial sounds, and metal.
Here's a couple of tracks as a sample (the main menu track is awesome):

---

Speaking about the bundle in general, this Boomer Shooters Bundle is an insane deal. I paid more than 10€ for each of them, or close to it, and they are asking for that for the whole thing!
All games are worth a look, and some are really great, top tier examples of modern entries in the genre. And, several of these games weren't sold yet below the asking price of the full bundle, making this a great deal, even if you are only interested in a couple of games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Well I haven't played it since I didn't own it, but it has good reviews. I think it's one of the only ones in the bundle I hadn't really heard of.

MegaApple

Just another Video Game Enthusiast
Sep 20, 2018
Thanks!
Origins market share is surprisingly big in uk

Most likely from the FIFA sales, back before EA put their games on Steam.
Platinum's Future is surely staked on Bayo3.
That and Project G. G., that Super Sentai inspired game.

At last on Steam!
Kairosoft games work because they can be played in short bursts.

This game is perfect for Steam Deck and handheld PCs.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yes

If you click on the first entry it shows that it's JP only.
I guess if you combine #2 and #3 then they'll beat #1, but it's still an incredible showing.
That's really wild, given how well the game has sold everywhere else as well.

I've been saying for a few years that I get the overall impression that PC gaming is getting at least slightly more relevant in Japan, starting back with PUBG and then moving on with stuff like Fortnite and in particular Apex Legends. And you also start getting more Japanese indie games using Steam as their primary distribution option.
But so far, there hasn't been any really solid single point of data to point to to confirm this -- and I'd never have expected something like this ER result.

Alexandros

MetaMember
Nov 4, 2018
That's really wild, given how well the game has sold everywhere else as well.

I've been saying for a few years that I get the overall impression that PC gaming is getting at least slightly more relevant in Japan, starting back with PUBG and then moving on with stuff like Fortnite and in particular Apex Legends. And you also start getting more Japanese indie games using Steam as their primary distribution option.
But so far, there hasn't been any really solid single point of data to point to to confirm this -- and I'd never have expected something like this ER result.
It will be very interesting to see how Steam Deck does over there as soon as it becomes available.

• This!
Reactions: PC-tan and Tomasety

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
very sick atm, chances of covid being small but i'll take a test tomorrow and see how i am, no stomach ache so i'm thankfully not puking, but rather lightheaded when i walk, as well as a sore throat and some what of a headache that arrives sooner than expected

i have five assignments to do, one today and 4 math assignments, the one today being a cli wireframe for a project for some reason because we couldnt have a gui, as well as three full-day obligatory meetups on wednesday, thursday and friday in which i'd have to travel on tuesday and come back on saturday morning, if i don't meet up on those, i can kiss my ass goodbye

the only thing that is keeping me alive and working and not rotting away temporarily in my bed is unironically metal gear rising ost The Only Thing I Know For Real

advice for anyone who has a sodastream: DO NOT drink pepsi syrup in sodastream carbonated water, the first times it was pretty good, but earlier today i got the aftertaste of mold which isn't a rather pleasant taste

edit: thanks for the hugs, my earl grey tea has a brown powder at the bottom of it, so if i don't write anything in like, 20 hours, I WAS EXPOSED AS A SPY ON THE WWE NETWORK: VINCE MCMAHON KNOWS, DO NOT MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH MR MCMAHON, DO NOT APPROACH MR MCMAHON OR ELSE YOU WILL HAVE THE SAME FAITH AS I

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.