Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Civ VI or Old World ? (or Humankind but IIRC it's a mess)

edit
This is purely theoretical, Old World is a tad too pricey.

Last edited:
Reactions: lashman

Stevey

Gromlintroid
Dec 8, 2018
Thinking of picking up Dying Light 2, has anyone played it? I enjoyed the first one.

Deku

Just nothing
Oct 19, 2018
20XX
www.seikens.com
I started to play Trails in the Sky. Any recommendation of mods I should use? I see that there is a voice mod, so I am going to install it. Anything else that's good to install?

Reactions: QFNS

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Damn, the RE4R scores are incredible and the demo ran fantastic here and looked fantastic. But I have so much to play. Grrrr.

• Toucan

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
I started to play Trails in the Sky. Any recommendation of mods I should use? I see that there is a voice mod, so I am going to install it. Anything else that's good to install?
I played it vanilla and didn't feel the need for mods actually, I'd say go straight into it:thinking-face:

• This!
Reactions: QFNS and ezodagrom

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Thinking of picking up Dying Light 2, has anyone played it? I enjoyed the first one.
I finished it at launch. Overall I liked it slightly less than the first, but it is close, and I still enjoyed it well enough to spend 90 hours playing it until completion. The city is fun, soundtrack is fantastic, melee combat and parkour is still great. Story is mediocre-to-bad but the inclusion of some story and dialogue choices spice it up. It is also brilliant RTGI showing, the lighting looks so good.

RIP Lance Reddick, out of nowhere
Devastating really. Wire, Quantum Break, Horizon, John Wick - he was so charismatic no matter where he was.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
I've played about 2-3 hours of it.

Really liked the first, ran through it (ha) a couple of times. This one hasn't really grabbed me yet. I might go back to it at some point. It looked good and was basically more of the same, just didnt click with me for some reason.

Reactions: Stevey and lashman

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
I played the first game and it's expansion in co-op with a friend and liked it a lot. So I was quite looking forward to the sequel but it turned out to be probably the most disappointing game I played last year.

The only good thing I have to say about it is that it had nice graphics. And I guess some of the bespoke missions were okay with some of the puzzle solving+parkour required. Every other aspect of the game ranges from mediocre to disastrous.

First of all, the writing sucks. Yes, it's a zombie game, what do you really expect, but they made a big deal about how the game would have a complex story and your choices would have major consequences and change the city as you played. I guess that was Chris Avellone's narrative vision that died when he was let go from the project. That turned out to be a mistake because what they shipped was garbage. Your choices result in the most minute, inconsequential changes to the game. So for example, if you choose to side with one faction, you will get access to ziplines to traverse the city a bit faster. If you choose the other faction, you unlock these air vent sort of things that boost you up into the air so that you can glide for some distance to traverse the city a bit faster. You pick one side and you get one gadget, you pick the other side and you get another one. That's the extent of the choices and consequences they made such a big deal about. The story itself is awful and the protagonist is also an awful person written awfully. "Well yes, I know you just authorized mass murder against citizens in this city but you know what, I'll just ignore all that to complete whatever quest you have for me". <- That's a real thing that happens in the game. Another thing I remember is just how many times the story has a scripted sequence where you get knocked out, your screen goes black and you wake up in captivity. Seriously this trope repeats about 8-10 times in the game. It's even worse than Far Cry 5 was in that regard.

Next, a big open world just does not work for this series. This might sound counterintuitive for a parkour based game but it's how I feel. The first game also had an open world but it was a small, constricted area which let you freely parkour almost all the time and it was actually dangerous to travel around, especially at night. This game has a huge open world which means you can't always parkour to traverse it. Wide open roads where it is just better to run around zombies instead of being forced to fight through them. It's also a Ubisoft style open world which means you have towers that you have to scale which unlock a multitude of icons on your map that you have to clear because you need the XP to get skill points to unlock all the abilities they've locked behind the skill trees. Combat, parkour and traversal feel extremely limited until you have a large number of skill points invested into making them better. I don't exactly remember how skill upgrades worked in the first game but here they've locked away even the most basic things like double jumping or momentum conservation behind skill upgrades. Parkour does not become fun until you are deep into the skill tree. Night time is not nearly as dangerous as it was in the last game because this open world is huge and so they had to add safe areas everywhere (in the form of bright purple UV lights/lamps) on rooftops and such. The horror aspect is completely gone because even if you are being chased by a horde of zombies you are never more than 30 seconds away from a UV light.

Then there are the bugs. I played it at launch and it was horrible back then. I assume they must have fixed many of the issues since. I played it for about 40 hours in co-op with my friend and I don't think there was a single session where something didn't go wrong. Connection issues, crashes, achievements not working, quest triggers not working, missing NPCs, broken AI, enemies that glitch into walls, quest items and weapons disappearing from your inventory and anything else you can imagine can go wrong did. I remember taking a quest and finishing it and when I went back to turn it in the quest giver was floating above ground with no way to interact with him. Another super annoying bug was with those purple lights I mentioned. They're supposed to be visible from a distance so that you know where to go for safety but in my game one of those lights got stuck on my HUD and I had a permanent purple blotch on my screen for the last third of the game. Cannot even remember how many other bugs I ran into. Also if you play it in co-op, progress does not save for anyone but the host. I was the host and sometimes it didn't even register for me. I have, for example, the achievement for completing the game but I'm missing main story related achievements that came before it.

I'm actually amazed it has such a positive rating on Steam. I deeply regret spending money to buy the expensive edition of the game at launch. Although it is interesting that even today more people play DL1 than they do the sequel.

EDIT: I found my post from Feb last year where I talk in brief about how bad the game is (includes a screenshot of the quest giver who was unbothered by gravity).

Last edited:

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
i cometh back again to spread my words on the games and no games talk

but i haven't played any games lately, so here's life stuff

- art

i begun doing "art" again, if you can call it that - it's not original stuff, i just looked at Nishikiyama's tattoo and drew it on paper, it was cool - but it's not real art, real art is something you make and create by yourself from scratch, an original idea
although this tattoo is so cool that i dont really mind that anymore, i even drew it with a marker on my arm as a DIY tattoo - xylene markers are the best, especially if you combine it with some lead on the skin

- miller

robin atkin downes has a tendency to affect my life in the strangest of ways - from voicing Travis Touchdown and giving myself a personal mantra of him telling me to grow some balls - into once again (as this has happened more than once): motivating myself through Kazuhira Miller from MGSV

i can't go into detail as it'd be embarrasing, but in short - THE WORLD CALLS FOR WET WORK - AND WE ANSWER IT. NO GREATER GOOD. NO JUST CAUSE. (WHAT A LOAD OF BULLSHIT) BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH B-NB-B-B-BITCH (THEY PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE)

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
just keep in mind - if you've got EOS blocked, the game will take like 10 minutes to get into the menu (it's not loading anything, just sitting there waiting for EOS to finally give up trying to connect)
Is this just how DL2 handles it, or does EOS have a default timeout of around 10 minutes all the time?

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Is this just how DL2 handles it, or does EOS have a default timeout of around 10 minutes all the time?
i think the default one is really damn long, but a lot of games definitely shorten it. Some don't though - like Redout 2, for example, also takes FOREVER to get into the menu

• Sad
Reactions: ExistentialThought

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Started Hitman 3 after i heard of its new roguelite mode and it has motion blur turned off by default in the settings

Non-limb motion blur will forever be a setting that confuses the shit out of me. Why the fuck would I want to be able to see less

• This!
Reactions: xxr

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Is there anyone here with last gen or new gen AMD GPU that is not interested in TLoU and that is willing to help me activate AMD code if i manage to get one? :D

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
Civ VI or Old World ? (or Humankind but IIRC it's a mess)

edit
This is purely theoretical, Old World is a tad too pricey.
Amplitude's Endless Space 2 is probably my favorite 4x, but I can't recommend Humankind. I enjoy Civ V/VI well enough but they did get very "samey" after a few complete games, but Humankind gets "samey" in the very first game you play. It throws a ton of choices at you but most of them you could flip a coin for and arrive at the same end point. The last time I played it was in the beta for the DLC and the DLC makes the game actively worse (adds more menus, decisions that TRULY do not matter, and buggy stealth units) and I honestly couldn't have told you what non-expansion thing had changed since launch.

The game is so bad that one of the features it had on release, pollution, they now disable by default because after over a year and a DLC they never figured out how to actually make it not an insta-loss against AI.

Honestly the game feels like one of those that would be significantly better if there was no PvP option - all the potential interesting mechanics etc. are incredibly weak because of potential human v human balance.

Reactions: Li Kao and Stevey

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
So what happened to Counter Strike 2?

Or CSGO 2

Or CSGO Source 2 update

Where is it?

Was it all a fake news troll?

What are you up to Valve...

Reveal it

REVEAL IT NOW!!!!

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
The first one I really enjoyed and it surprised the hell out of me because they made dead island and I really hated that game. So I was pretty excited for dying light 2 but I'm sad to say they completely whiffed on it. It doesn't feel as fun to traverse the world as 1 despite having more parkour abilities, it's not designed as tight and intelligently as 1 which I think is what made the parkour fun in the first. It was very buggy too but I imagine by now some of that was cleaned up. At launch the game felt incomplete too especially the ending. The game has a focus on picking one of 2 factions to side with and as I was doing a mission investigating the leader of one of them, I got caught (story reason not caught as in I messed up) and they said they would ignore it.....and then the end game sequence triggered right after that, which has nothing to do with factions it's the MC's personal story with finding his sister. They completely dropped what was going on and just moved right to the end.

What hurts the most though is you know that awesome demo the game had in like 2019? That game doesn't exist, almost nothing from it is still in and certainly not the ambitious, fluid quest design it showed. It was clear they struggled with that for years and had to scrap all of it, and I sadly assumed that'd be the case after chris avellone left the project. In fact there's only 1 part of that demo still in the game and I have to spoiler it since it involves major story stuff

The gist of that mission is still in, like you have to sneak into the plant still. But that mission is now the end game mission. That's right they essentially showed the end of the game on a public demonstration years prior.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I am sure that it will be difficult and also very expensive, but I plan to make it my goal to go and see the 2026 World Cup and also the 2028 Olympic. Both of these will be held at the Sofi stadium. So that's pretty cool how I may potentially be able to see these two events in person.

I also know that for a fact that the team that I plan to go see will have the stadium full when I go see them as well (not team US) so hopefully I manage somehow.
----------

By the way does anyone know a place that I can go to, to talk about manga and stuff? I just sucks how I don't have people local to me that also read manga and online is just a mess.

Last edited:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Sale Haul !

With the help of key sites when needed, obviously.
The first three are whatever and I somewhat regret buying them, but they didn't cost much. The fifth one is a short yuri VN I discovered in the forum next door. Pretty satisfied of myself. Hugely satisfied even. Just have to lie low for the rest of March and not be tempted by the shiny new releases.

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Sale Haul !

The first three are whatever and I somewhat regret buying them, but they didn't cost much. The fifth one is a short yuri VN I discovered in the forum next door. Pretty satisfied of myself. Hugely satisfied even. Just have to lie low for the rest of March and not be tempted by the shiny new releases.
Play Hi-Fi Rush, now.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com

A small-ish haul for me this time around, due to Resident Evil 4 looming.

I wanted to get either Tactics Ogre Reborn or Harvestella in the sale, but decided on Harvestella due to so many people identifying it as a sleeper hit (I'm OK with the game being less farming oriented than the name suggests, lol).

I also decided to pull the trigger on Super Robot Wars X as it was 75% off. Not as big a fan of the featured franchises in X vs. SRW V (which had Evangelion!) but it looks like a good enough time.

Also, I spent half my Saturday blasting through the Diablo IV beta on bnet. Server issues nonwithstanding (that game absolutely did not have to be always online, smh) it's looking like an amazing game with a shit ton of content. The full game launch is going to be enormous!
Sale Haul !

Seconding the Hi-Fi Rush recommendation. Play it!

Also, A Space for the Unbound! Good work. :blobmorning2:

actual_norwegian_guy

Rebranded...
Apr 15, 2021
and in actual game news:

got this on my timeline on youtube as a recommended video after i saw this guy's video on loch'n'load

for those out of the loop: i textured this years ago, and now my stuff's been seen by 353k more people

my ego's great

• Gib
Reactions: lashman and Vantr

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I really enjoy world and story of Trek to Yomi and visual presentation but boy does combat makes me pull my hair out. It's so unprecise and execution g some combos is basically wheel of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.