Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Uh, I am once again thinking it would be cool, no essential, for me to structure my network and backup in a sane way. I strongly suspect it involves some sort of NAS, ready made or PC. I am also totally not that tech savvy.

But when your HD are getting near max capacity and you can't easily add more, well it makes sense to put the data ones in a NAS.
And when you have a mother whose ebook collection is very dear to them, you also should fucking rely on a NAS and not only Gdrive.

Reactions: lashman

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I wonder if the Steam thread makes more sense than the rate-your-game thread for games that you abandon for different reasons than usual.... :thinking-blob:
I stopped playing Caligula Effect 2 because I didn't like the Matrix-in-Japan setting, but not at all because it was bad... but does that deserve a review?
And on the other hand I stopped playing Neo TWEWY not because it was bad but because it was the least interesting game in all its aspects that I've played in quite a while... but I can hardly make a full review out of it either, my experience was more like breathing air than playing a game.

Questions, questions :astonished-face:

• Toucan
Reactions: lashman

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Thanks, I see they have it for 43.5 eur, not great but certainly better than 60.

Anyone here use etail.market?
I just checked it, never heard of them but yeah apparently they are authorized, unlike cdkeys?
I tried to buy it here and there is no paypal, but it went through for 35.82 pounds via my mastercard.
Hopefully the key will actually get delivered :)

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I still think KH could simply be a 2 year exclusivity like Oddworld Soulstorm. Remember Epic made a big deal of the KH announcement (even if the actual stream sucked)
Never forget:
Pretty much the only reason this stream happened was KH, so yeah, that one definitively feels like it has a bigger deal than the rest. We shall see tho

Reactions: ExistentialThought

LRB1983

🎥 アダルトビデオ
Oct 8, 2021
x.com
Be careful with cdkeys if you want Pre-order bonus because many times is not included on the offers.
Sometimes is included but not always, so I recommend you to inform you before purchase if you care about bonus.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
"Why do people hate on live service games I don't understand why can't other devs have a shot at making one..."

Ask a titanfall fan why.
It's not the successful GaaS that's taking the place of the third entry in a failed series though.
With APEX, there's even a chance that it could happen one day. Which certainly wouldn't be the case otherwise.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018
It's not the successful GaaS that's taking the place of the third entry in a failed series though.
With APEX, there's even a chance that it could happen one day. Which certainly wouldn't be the case otherwise.
They just cancelled a titanfall/apex SP game in february in order to double down on Apex itself, this move here confirms that. People don't need to fear bad live service games like anthem or avengers they need to worry about their favorite devs getting it right and being stuck with it forever.

EA Kills In-Development Mash-Up Of Titanfall And Apex Legends (kotaku.com)

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
"Why do people hate on live service games I don't understand why can't other devs have a shot at making one..."

Ask a titanfall fan why.
They just cancelled a titanfall/apex SP game in february in order to double down on Apex itself, this move here confirms that. People don't need to fear bad live service games like anthem or avengers they need to worry about their favorite devs getting it right and being stuck with it forever.

EA Kills In-Development Mash-Up Of Titanfall And Apex Legends (kotaku.com)
If Apex had failed after lackluster Titanfall 1 and 2, chances are, that Respawn would have been spawn camped and killed by EA.

And let's be honest, for Shooters, the single-player campaign or experience was never the pull for the games in gaming history. It was always the Multiplayer that made legends out of single-player Shooters. And those multiplayer experiences survived either by gameplay or support.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
And let's be honest, for Shooters, the single-player campaign or experience was never the pull for the games in gaming history. It was always the Multiplayer that made legends out of single-player Shooters.
I think that's a bit too absolute. It's certainly true the vast majority of the time, but what about Half Life?
There are also a lot more examples of more middling popularity, but I think HL is the standout counter-example.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
I think that's a bit too absolute. It's certainly true the vast majority of the time, but what about Half Life?
There are also a lot more examples of more middling popularity, but I think HL is the standout counter-example.
Is it? It spawned Counterstrike.
And we will never know if Half Life or Valve would have been the Juggernaut without Counterstrike. Half Life stayed in the consciousness of gaming because of Counterstrike.
Half Life 2 would have a multiplayer mode 100% if Counterstrike didn't exist.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
No. Game bugs are not going to break graphics cards.
Literally impossible, because there's (should at least be) working hardware level protections.
When something similar happened with New World, the cause was apparently a flaw in some EVGA 3090 models.
I'm guessing here may be something similar, some flaw in some specific 3080 models, and something about the cutscene mentioned in the article triggers the flaw? Dunno.

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
If Apex had failed after lackluster Titanfall 1 and 2, chances are, that Respawn would have been spawn camped and killed by EA.

And let's be honest, for Shooters, the single-player campaign or experience was never the pull for the games in gaming history. It was always the Multiplayer that made legends out of single-player Shooters. And those multiplayer experiences survived either by gameplay or support.
Gonna hard disagree on this one. The original shooters like Wolfenstein and DOOM were popular specifically for their single player. And now the same with their modern counterparts with Wolfenstein: TNO/TNC, DOOM 2016, Eternal, etc. in addition to the Half-life series. I don't really agree that HL2 wouldn't exist without the original CS but even if that were accurate, MP is NOT what HL2 was popular our bought for. Far Cry series as well, and other shooters that sometimes may have co-op but still are largely played solo like Borderlands, and then all the "indie" shooters like Amid Evil, Turbo Overkill, Severed, HROT, DUSK, and more. All reasonably to extremely successful.

It's also impossible to know, but there are a non-trivial amount of people who bought games who are known for their MP just for the SP experience, like Halo and CoD. I wouldn't suggest those devs double down on the SP focus of course, it's a minority, but it's one big enough for even the greedy-ass Actiblizz to keep dumping millions of dollars into the SP campaign year after year.

Of the shooters I can think of, more are known for their single player content than are known for their multiplayer content even if you stick to the biggest names and releases. CoD/Halo/Quake are indeed huge in the shooter history/culture, and have dominated certain populations of players at their own times, but maybe because they dominate they're actually the minority of shooters like that. Most MP-only shooters released in the past 5 years have all limped out of launch and then been shuttered quickly.

Reactions: Shantom and C-Dub

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Gonna hard disagree on this one. The original shooters like Wolfenstein and DOOM were popular specifically for their single player. And now the same with their modern counterparts with Wolfenstein: TNO/TNC, DOOM 2016, Eternal, etc. in addition to the Half-life series. I don't really agree that HL2 wouldn't exist without the original CS but even if that were accurate, MP is NOT what HL2 was popular our bought for. Far Cry series as well, and other shooters that sometimes may have co-op but still are largely played solo like Borderlands, and then all the "indie" shooters like Amid Evil, Turbo Overkill, Severed, HROT, DUSK, and more. All reasonably to extremely successful.

It's also impossible to know, but there are a non-trivial amount of people who bought games who are known for their MP just for the SP experience, like Halo and CoD. I wouldn't suggest those devs double down on the SP focus of course, it's a minority, but it's one big enough for even the greedy-ass Actiblizz to keep dumping millions of dollars into the SP campaign year after year.

Of the shooters I can think of, more are known for their single player content than are known for their multiplayer content even if you stick to the biggest names and releases. CoD/Halo/Quake are indeed huge in the shooter history/culture, and have dominated certain populations of players at their own times, but maybe because they dominate they're actually the minority of shooters like that. Most MP-only shooters released in the past 5 years have all limped out of launch and then been shuttered quickly.
You misunderstand something.
It is not about multiplayer-only shooters. It's about single-player-only shooters.
Games with a single player campaign plus multiplayer are still defined by their multiplayer part. All of the big series you mentioned are legendary because of the multiplayer.
And I didn't say that HL2 wouldn't exist without counterstrike. I said that the HL series would probably not be that legendary without Counterstrike. And without Counterstrike, Valve would have made a multiplayer mode for HL2.

I am no expert in shooters, are there any single-player-only juggernaut shooters?

• Disapproval
Reactions: prudis

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
And without Counterstrike, Valve would have made a multiplayer mode for HL2.

Games with a single player campaign plus multiplayer are still defined by their multiplayer part. All of the big series you mentioned are legendary because of the multiplayer.
As far as I know, Doom 2016 and Eternal were played primarily for their single player part.
Crysis and Far Cry, even when they have multiplayer, they're still played primarily for the single player, and there's also the Metro series which doesn't have multiplayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Panda Pedinte

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018
You misunderstand something.
It is not about multiplayer-only shooters. It's about single-player-only shooters.
And I didn't say that HL2 wouldn't exist without counterstrike. I said that the HL series would probably not be that legendary without Counterstrike. And without Counterstrike, Valve would have made a multiplayer mode for HL2.

I am no expert in shooters, are there any single-player-only juggernaut shooters?
A lot of the games I mentioned DO have MP modes, they just weren't a significant attraction or population to make people think of the games in that way, they were SP first and that's what people wanted. DOOM and Wolfenstein (the new ones, as well as the originals) are massive sellers - even the less popular sequels made boatloads of money and people use them as comparison points all over reviews and discussions for other games. Also, single-player-only- juggernaut doesn't really make sense, because there's no way for a SP game to dominate the market because they have a finite playtime for most people, which is why there are tons of popular successful SP shooter games, whereas only a very few successful MP shooter games.

I guess I don't totally understand your point then. Of shooters that have MP and SP, only a very few are known for their MP over their SP: CoD and Quake are pretty much the big 2. Halo is I would say pretty balanced between the popularity of their SP and MP - a lot like both, but the new Halo is MP only and a mess besides, so it's unknown whether it will come back into force.

Whether HL2 would have had MP or not kind of is a pointless statement, no? If it had MP, it would still be famous for the SP campaign (especially with the episodes and no HL3 etc.). And CSGO isn't an alternative to HL2 MP, it's a different game in the same engine (a ton of games use the same engines) also made by Valve, but considering their structure it's likely the HL2 team just didn't care to focus on MP (which does exist as noted above). You didn't even need to own HL2 for CSGO and HL2 is by far more popular than HL1 ever was (which was required for CS).

So ultimately, the minority of successful, popular shooters are known for their MP, and of the popular ones many people are probably thinking of MP-only ones (Apex, CSGO, Fortnite one could argue) which are a newer trend and a smaller segment still.

Reactions: Durante

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
For some reason, they have decided to limit pre-orders to EGS even though the Early Access period launches on same date on Steam. Bizarre.

There is a quirk with Steam's preorder system where if you open preorders too early, your visibility will get knocked down by the algorithm at release as preorders and post release purchases are considered two separate products and any preorders made months ago won't contribute to post release visibility. Basically Valve encourages everyone but the largest publishers to hold off on preorders to avoid this. EGS doesn't have a store algorithm so they can open preorders ASAP.

Reactions: sanhora and PC-tan

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
6tb HDD are relatively affordable. But to put on what ? A NAS ? My PC ? Another PC ?
Please carry on, this is my topic of the day.

I would really like something always on that can backup in raid mode and serve my media on TV/Ipad. But it adds up fast every way I look.
On the other hand I did some archeology and I have some old HDD that lives by some fucking miracles, not really tempted to test fate.

Pixieking

MetaMember
Dec 7, 2018
6tb HDD are relatively affordable. But to put on what ? A NAS ? My PC ? Another PC ?
Please carry on, this is my topic of the day.

I would really like something always on that can backup in raid mode and serve my media on TV/Ipad. But it adds up fast every way I look.
On the other hand I did some archeology and I have some old HDD that lives by some fucking miracles, not really tempted to test fate.
Depends how much you have to spend. For years my wife and I have had a PC that runs all our media and that's just sat next to the TV. We recently upgraded to the 6800H version of this: ASUS ExpertCenter PN53|Mini PCs|ASUS Global We put that together with 3 external hard drives (2 8tb and 1 6tb WD Elements external drives) that are always plugged in, and hook it up to the 4k HDR TV.

The problem comes in making sure data is fully backed up. I actually have 5 6tb WD Elements drives that I manually back everything up to that are kept offline in a cupboard, so that if one of the always-on drives fails, I can move to a backup. And with fail-rates/life expectancy of drives, I generally buy new drives every 2 or 3 years and rotate the oldest one out and sell it.

So, yes, it does add up. But we hoard a lot of media (books/comics/music is probably 1.8tb alone (so backed up is about 3.6tb of space total), before we get to TV and Film), so it can be cheaper if you have less.

Status
Not open for further replies.