Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

ExistentialThought

Coffee Lover ♥☕
Feb 29, 2020

There is a quirk with Steam's preorder system where if you open preorders too early, your visibility will get knocked down by the algorithm at release as preorders and post release purchases are considered two separate products and any preorders made months ago won't contribute to post release visibility. Basically Valve encourages everyone but the largest publishers to hold off on preorders to avoid this. EGS doesn't have a store algorithm so they can open preorders ASAP.
I have thought about this before and it seems to be a harder issue to solve than one would think. Even EGS does not solve the issue, but they have fewer titles and less dynamic movement, thanks to a lack of algorithms.

I think a few options for Valve would be a specific tab for Popular Upcoming Preorders or something that narrows the population to upcoming games folks can actually purchase in advance. There are others ways of doing some hokey math to bucket sales or apply some more obvious kicker when a game launches to make sure it appears in advance on the Popular Upcoming and then on the New & Trending when it launches, but I think it would be ill advised to make any changes to the Top Sellers, even though the issue stems to being buried on that tab. Other options, Valve could feature preorders in a few other ways, like in monthly top sellers lists looking at top preorders or bring back the Steam lab test for running an automatic show.

Reactions: Arc

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I don’t know, I’m drunk and organisation is clearly not my finest point. I already quit all hope of having a sane bookmarks setup, but man I really would love the peace of mind of a solid backup and having my personal server for those overpriced ipad ssd would be ace (oh yeah, displaying on tv too, but my cat attacks the tv) ((don’t ask)) (((fml)))
For now I can say that I have 1tb and change of books and 8tb and change of tv and films. That’s not counting the 4-5 tb of crusty old shit that wait for me on aging hdd and which I’m not even sure I will be able to save.

I have no idea how to organize that. I can buy big bois hdd. I can buy some nas or cheap pc. But fuck if I can do both.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Well leaks popped up so no point waiting i guess.

Also

The Management Board of CD PROJEKT S.A. with its registered seat in Warsaw ("Company") hereby announces its decision regarding the establishment in the Company's books of an impairment allowance with regard to expenses incurred in the scope of development work related to Project Sirius, which is under development at The Molasses Flood studio. The value of expenses incurred by the end of 2022 amounts to 33.4 million PLN and will burden the financial results of the Company and the CD PROJEKT Group for the year 2022. The value of expenses incurred in January and February 2023 amounts to 9.5 million PLN and will accordingly burden the financial results for the first quarter of 2023.
The aforementioned decision is based on results of evaluation of the scope and commercial potential of the original concept of Project Sirius, and ongoing work on formulating a new framework for this project.

Well that sounds like they changed project scope significantly.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
Honestly, that might be what he is thinking.
Though I suspect its more that they paid him to appear and he's happy to appear for money.
Right, regardless either one(Netflix show & video game) wouldn't exist without his books so I'm more just glad that they're at least buddying around with each other since for a while there it was very touch and go on stuff.
Like wanting some money and them paying him money even though it was all done via settled contracts etc

Especially since they clearly intend to do more witcher games it's nice to have the creator of world/character/books at least giving some input hopefully

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
A lot of the games I mentioned DO have MP modes, they just weren't a significant attraction or population to make people think of the games in that way, they were SP first and that's what people wanted. DOOM and Wolfenstein (the new ones, as well as the originals) are massive sellers - even the less popular sequels made boatloads of money and people use them as comparison points all over reviews and discussions for other games. Also, single-player-only- juggernaut doesn't really make sense, because there's no way for a SP game to dominate the market because they have a finite playtime for most people, which is why there are tons of popular successful SP shooter games, whereas only a very few successful MP shooter games.

I guess I don't totally understand your point then. Of shooters that have MP and SP, only a very few are known for their MP over their SP: CoD and Quake are pretty much the big 2. Halo is I would say pretty balanced between the popularity of their SP and MP - a lot like both, but the new Halo is MP only and a mess besides, so it's unknown whether it will come back into force.

Whether HL2 would have had MP or not kind of is a pointless statement, no? If it had MP, it would still be famous for the SP campaign (especially with the episodes and no HL3 etc.). And CSGO isn't an alternative to HL2 MP, it's a different game in the same engine (a ton of games use the same engines) also made by Valve, but considering their structure it's likely the HL2 team just didn't care to focus on MP (which does exist as noted above). You didn't even need to own HL2 for CSGO and HL2 is by far more popular than HL1 ever was (which was required for CS).

So ultimately, the minority of successful, popular shooters are known for their MP, and of the popular ones many people are probably thinking of MP-only ones (Apex, CSGO, Fortnite one could argue) which are a newer trend and a smaller segment still.
If we want to talk about the sheer number of games released, sure, there's more single player games.
But as far as actual copies sold and money made?
Multiplayer shooters are hundreds or even thousands of times bigger than all single player shooters put together.

We're talking decades of dozens of millions of copies+MTX for each franchise like CoD, Battlefield, Counter Strike - and even tangentially related games like Half Life 2... it's now more relevant for spawning Garry's mod and its ubiquitous modes, in the same way that ARMA (and it's a MP game) founded the BR genre.
And now obviously juggernaut GaaS are obviously far, far more popular, and make far more than Doom ever will.

Even back then, as much as I loved Quake, Duke Nukem, and all? They didn't stay popular for years because of their solo modes.
Later on consoles with Goldeneye or Halo, it sure as hell wasn't the solo part that carried them.

And it's not even a question to ask; solo shooters are an infinitely small part of the community of shooters, and frankly, they've always been. Even back in the early 90s it was THE genre for multiplayer (alongside the dead RTS genre...), but of course, it was a bit harder and less common to do so in 93...

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
And it's not even a question to ask; solo shooters are an infinitely small part of the community of shooters, and frankly, they've always been. Even back in the early 90s it was THE genre for multiplayer (alongside the dead RTS genre...), but of course, it was a bit harder and less common to do so in 93...
I've never been much of a fan of Multiplayer shooters outside of going to LAN parties where there was much fun to be had. We did play a lot of RTS games though and never slowed up even when the actual releases did.

Edit: although I still play UT a little bit.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
If we want to talk about the sheer number of games released, sure, there's more single player games.
Multiplayer shooters are hundreds or even thousands of times bigger than all single player shooters put together.

We're talking decades of dozens of millions of copies+MTX for each franchise like CoD, Battlefield, Counter Strike - and even tangentially related games like Half Life 2... it's now more relevant for spawning Garry's mod and its ubiquitous modes, in the same way that ARMA (and it's a MP game) founded the BR genre.
And now obviously juggernaut GaaS are obviously far, far more popular, and make far more than Doom ever will.

Even back then, as much as I loved Quake, Duke Nukem, and all? They didn't stay popular for years because of their solo modes.
Later on consoles with Goldeneye or Halo, it sure as hell wasn't the solo part that carried them.

The big juggernaut multiplayer shooters will of course make far more money than single player ones, but, only a few will achieve that level of success at a time.
When the multiplayer part of a shooter fails, it's a good single player mode that will keep that game selling in the long term.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
The impetus for this whole FPS discussion was a claim that single-player was never the pull for shooters in the history of gaming.

I still very strongly disagree with that. Are multiplayer shooters more mainstream and have they made a lot of money? Of course, absolutely, I don't think anyone will dispute that.
But there are several very successful, extremely historically important and influential shooter franchises that did not reach their popularity via MP whatsoever, such as Doom or Half Life.

Gamall Wednesday Ida

Just a loon, apparently.
Dec 4, 2020
France
www.youtube.com
... Also still waiting for the day F.E.A.R. is playable on modern PC's again. Goddamn SecuROM. :mad:
It is.... at least on Linux :p

After looking at ProtonDB https://www.protondb.com/app/21090, which was encouraging, I installed and tested it on my Linux system, and it runs fine (could use a mod for 1440p). I didn't need to tinker.

That game scared me so much, back in the days. Probably still would if I played now. I'm not much for horror.

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
( ̄o ̄) zzZZzzZZ
Modern shooters put me to sleep~
For example, if I had to play Apex solo, then my reaction would be similar. But being able to play it with two of my buddies? Inject it into my veins! :blobdrool:

Reactions: PC-tan

Amzin

No one beats me 17 times in a row!
Dec 5, 2018

The big juggernaut multiplayer shooters will of course make far more money than single player ones, but, only a few will achieve that level of success at a time.
When the multiplayer part of a shooter fails, it's a good single player mode that will keep that game selling in the long term.
The impetus for this whole FPS discussion was a claim that single-player was never the pull for shooters in the history of gaming.

I still very strongly disagree with that. Are multiplayer shooters more mainstream and have they made a lot of money? Of course, absolutely, I don't think anyone will dispute that.
But there are several very successful, extremely historically important and influential shooter franchises that did not reach their popularity via MP whatsoever, such as Doom or Half Life.
Yea the original statement was that all shooter games are only known for their MP, which is categorically false, which is what I was arguing. I didn't say SP shooters make more money than MP ones, I said there were more successful SP only/focused shooters than MP, which is also categorically true. There are dozens of successful indie shooters on Steam from the past few years alone, much less the big name ones.

If you want to make the most money possible, then yes you have to make something that has lootboxes, currency shops, runs on overworked devs, and breaks through the wall of CoD/Apex/Fortnite, but that hasn't happened since pretty much Apex itself, and "make the most money" is a different conversation.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
Digital only future.

I hope my lifelong pics live on as DVDs burned by my kid with Nero.

I haven't seen those but it has been a busy week so maybe I missed it totally.
That's why piracy and emulation are so necessary for video game preservation. Such a shame that games from my childhood like The Punisher, Manhunt 2, Silent Hill 2, and 3 can't be bought nowadays.

I just bought Mirror's Edge, because that game is fantastic and it makes no sense that is going to be delisted for some fucking online services no one gives a shit about.

Status
Not open for further replies.