Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
How does Iron Galaxy keep getting jobs?

Is TLOU also gonna get pulled from Steam?
Their console ports are usually fine. Their PC ports are, well…

And I doubt the game gets pulled unless Sony chooses to pull it. The Last of Us is one of their key IP, what with the TV show and such, so it might be worth their while going back to the drawing board with this one.

Sony have so far had a good reputation on fixing up their PC ports and generally supporting their games over a long period, so I think this game will be brought into a good state. But I doubt it’ll be pulled.

Reactions: lashman and inky

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
And another question, why do so many of these modern games not support DSR downsampling? And require changing desktop res first?

Sometimes even games on the same engine differ. Like Atomic Heart - no DSR. Shadow Warrior 3 (also Unreal) - DSR resolutions are normally available ingame.

Is this something developers have to specifically support, does anyone know why this is? Durante perhaps?
It depends on what types of APIs you use. Back in the "real" exclusive fullscreen mode days it would "just work". These days, you need to be slightly aware of what you are doing to make sure it works.

But it's really not something that takes any notable amount of time at all, and like to many things, it should be on the pre-release checklist of absolutely everyone who does PC versions of games for a living, IMHO.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Tonight I made a huge mistake by watching the Resident Evil show on Netflix. I can't understand how a script with such a disastrous story, ridiculous characters and boring dialogues can still result in a completed tv show. There's something terribly wrong with Netflix's quality assurance...

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Tonight I made a huge mistake by watching the Resident Evil show on Netflix. I can't understand how a script with such a disastrous story, ridiculous characters and boring dialogues can still result in a completed tv show. There's something terribly wrong with Netflix's quality assurance...

Its a bad show, but an entertaining bad show

RIP lance, you will be missed

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
But it's really not something that takes any notable amount of time at all, and like to many things, it should be on the pre-release checklist of absolutely everyone who does PC versions of games for a living, IMHO.
Thank you for reply. DF Alex should have included this in his "good PC port practices" video :)

I feel kinda bad for Iron Galaxy though. After going through the shader compilation, both Uncharted and TLOU work great on my PC. Yet they are getting dragged through mud so hard.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
So, on my end the Last of Us port runs ok? I played it for an hour or so, and it was fine. Performance is ok on my aging machine, the 2080Ti is still holding up well for 1440p, and if there are memory leaks, then they don't seem to be so sever to matter within an hour when playing with 32GB of RAM.
Still hoping all those things get patched.

Sobatronix

MetaMember
Mar 9, 2021
So I just tried TLOU of my gtx 1080 with a ryzen 5 3600. Game runs like absolute ass lmao. For some reason even though I loaded the shaders a couple of hours ago it's still maxing out my CPU and my GPU is sitting at like 86% load an getting sttuters all over the place. Can't say that mostly negative rating is unwarranted.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Some of you are more knowledgeable than me (cough Durante caugh) so is it me or 8GB+ of VRAM for 1080p is kinda insane

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
I've got an i7 6700K, 1070, and 32GB DDR4 RAM. Report back on your performance, please!
On my Windows PC (GTX 1070 Ti, 16 GB RAM, Windows 10, 8 GB VRAM, i7-8700) performance has been good. 40-70 fps at 1440p (FSR balanced, medium-high details). But as mentioned, only after a lengthy shader comp. Some dips. No crashes after the Shader comp. But havent played lots yet.

The game has long loading times too.

I really hope they turn this around quickly, those early impressions of poor performances are not great. Not just because I like TLOU and was waiting for this, but because Im otherwise Impressed by the port being packed with options and if they manage to optimize performance across most hardware, it could be excelllent.

Im lucky that my 1070 Ti seems runs anything you throw at it ;) i just would prefer to play on my linux laptop but have recently had more problems with modern game releases there. But thats another story

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Oh and I forgot to mention: the game is indeed VRAM-hungry, but at least it tells you pretty exactly how much it'll use and every option will tell you what it impacts. Have I mentioned the options menu is impressive? ;)
That is why it is hard for me to say that port is bad. They obviously cared enough to include lots of PC specific options and it is not basic port. They just didn't spent their time and resources optimizing game for average PC hardware these days and just went for high end portion of the market. You can't convince me that linear game with lots of pre-baked maps and no RayTracing is more demanding than game like CP2077 with full RT.

And this is why I am bit afraid of UE5 games after watching that first presentation where they said that artist can just put high poly and hi res models directly from the zbrush to the engine and it just works. Because many will do just that.

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I’m more curious about the DLL thing, and if people confirm it fix the shader compilation. I mean, on paper it’s cool, but using a DLL from an unknown source strikes me as FUCKING UNWISE.

• This!
Reactions: Paul

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
On my 13700K it took like 15 minutes without changing DLL.
Yeah but what about the temp ? We had some extreme reports on that front.
The length is less important to me, as long as it’s ’reasonable’. Having a 5800X3D I hope it will be.

Oh fuck, this reminds me I have to air clean my case :sweaty-blob:
I never was a regular cleaner, but I have a cat now. Who likes climbing on the case. Basically my case is half dust / half cat.

Last edited:

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Yeah but what about the temp ? We had some extreme reports on that front.
The length is less important to me, as long as it’s ’reasonable’. Having a 5800X3D I hope it will be.
It's just going to put a heavy load on your cpu for probably 20-25 minutes, if you have decent cooling and can run benchmarks like cinebench without issue you won't have one here either.

Reactions: Li Kao

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
In general, I think complaining that your CPU gets hot during shader compilation is one of those extremely dumb PC gamer things. I'd actually be very annoyed if that happened to one of my ports.
The CPU getting hot, at least on the face of it, just means that they are doing the right thing and compiling those shaders in parallel. If your PC fails because it's actually being used then that's on you (or the OEM who built it if you didn't), not the developers.

That said, I'm not sure why it would ever take several minutes to compile shaders running at full tilt on a modern PC. If nothing is fundamentally wrong (which I see no reason to believe) then this must mean the game has an absolutely ridiculous number of shader/pipeline variations.
In that case it might have been smarter to change that to have more dynamic state, but that is some pretty extensive re-engineering (and might still be a tradeoff for performance on some systems).

Some of you are more knowledgeable than me (cough Durante caugh) so is it me or 8GB+ of VRAM for 1080p is kinda insane
I mean, not really, depending on how good it looks. This is at "Ultra" after all.
Might just be another instance of the old "I have to be able to run everything at ultra, regardless of what that means" mentality.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
In general, I think complaining that your CPU gets hot during shader compilation is one of those extremely dumb PC gamer things. I'd actually be very annoyed if that happened to one of my ports.
The CPU getting hot, at least on the face of it, just means that they are doing the right thing and compiling those shaders in parallel. If your PC fails because it's actually being used then that's on you (or the OEM who built it if you didn't), not the developers.

That said, I'm not sure why it would ever take several minutes to compile shaders running at full tilt on a modern PC. If nothing is fundamentally wrong (which I see no reason to believe) then this must mean the game has an absolutely ridiculous number of shader/pipeline variations.
In that case it might have been smarter to change that to have more dynamic state, but that is some pretty extensive re-engineering (and might still be a tradeoff for performance on some systems).

I mean, not really, depending on how good it looks. This is at "Ultra" after all.
Might just be another instance of the old "I have to be able to run everything at ultra, regardless of what that means" mentality.
Reports say that even on high VRAM usage is significant and on lower settings textures look like crap. So there is kinda no balance.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019

It did take around 20 minutes on 5800X3D - I think this game and Uncharted 4 had the longest shader compilation of any games I played.
And temperature went up to 90 degrees, but I do have fairly liberal fan curve so that does not surprise me (and 90 should still be safe, afaik, although I would not want that to be standard temperature). But when playing the game, the CPU is at around 75 on average which I think is perfectly fine.

Li Kao

Jan 28, 2019
Oh, the Desktop to Deck file transfer is enabled by default ? Nice, I guess.
Just noticed it when my Deck wanted to update Midnight Suns and it displays a big 'Transferring game files on local Network'

Hmm, it's nice but as a no data cap fiber guy, I'm losing on the max speed front.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
Oh, the Desktop to Deck file transfer is enabled by default ? Nice, I guess.
Just noticed it when my Deck wanted to update Midnight Suns and it displays a big 'Transferring game files on local Network'

Hmm, it's nice but as a no data cap fiber guy, I'm losing on the max speed front.
you can just stop the transfer and it will switch to download

Reactions: Li Kao

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
Tried out 22 minutes till dawn on my phone cause i was bored at work and instantly bought it on steam cause it was good and i felt dirty playing baby mode with infinite ad rebirths.
Guess i will be playing this next after i finish Noobs Wants to live

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria
not sure if it was posted, Naughty Dog has responded:

We are currently investigating the following issues:
  • Loading shaders takes longer than expected
  • Performance and stability is degraded while shaders are loading in the background
  • Older graphics drivers leads to instability and/or graphical problems
  • Game may be unable to boot despite meeting the minimum system requirements
  • A potential memory leak
We are working on patches, will provide updates as they become available, and will continue to investigate other reported issues. Please keep an eye out on our Support Page as well as the Steam store page for our latest patch notes. If you encounter an issue that is not resolved by our latest patch, you may submit a ticket here.
_

I tried TLOU on the Deck as well now and it runs badly there indeed. I'll just stick to playing it on my Windows PC for now.

OP
Mor

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Reactions: C-Dub and LEANIJA

didamangi

Who do you think you are? I am!
Nov 16, 2018
Jakarta, Indonesia
steamcommunity.com
Tried out 22 minutes till dawn on my phone cause i was bored at work and instantly bought it on steam cause it was good and i felt dirty playing baby mode with infinite ad rebirths.
Guess i will be playing this next after i finish Noobs Wants to live
I've played 30 hours of it vs 12 on Vampire Survivors. It's really good. Glad to see they added some new characters since the last time I've played it. Missing 3 achievements now. They nailed the audio and visual impact of your weapons like Nuclear Throne did. Very satisfying to play.

• Comfy
Reactions: LEANIJA and Rin

Rin

Indie games
Nov 25, 2022
Norway
I've played 30 hours of it vs 12 on Vampire Survivors. It's really good. Glad to see they added some new characters since the last time I've played it. Missing 3 achievements now. They nailed the audio and visual impact of your weapons like Nuclear Throne did. Very satisfying to play.
Nice. i checked out the discord and the dev is working on the 1.0 patch

Parsnip

Riskbreaker
Sep 11, 2018
Finland
Returnal had a speedy shader comp right? I think DF Alex measured it being like 30 seconds on a Ryzen 5 3600, and only 6 seconds on some modern intel cpu. Makes some of these other games with 20+ minute compiles look really weird in comparison.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Returnal had a speedy shader comp right? I think DF Alex measured it being like 30 seconds on a Ryzen 5 3600, and only 6 seconds on some modern intel cpu. Makes some of these other games with 20+ minute compiles look really weird in comparison.
Returnal took around half a minute, Atomic Heart needed like 3 minutes.
the 1 hour+ some people are reporting for TLOU is definitely not normal

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
Controversial opinion time: I think that there is a lot of hyperbole these days around "bad PC ports" and that many of the ports aren't actually bad at all. Sometimes games get pushed out the door a bit too early, no doubt at the behest of the publisher, but most PC games today show a level of effort from the developers that was completely absent during the dark times of the late 90s-late 00s.

Shantom

Mar 17, 2021
Possible price error alert
Resident Evil 7 Gold and Resident Evil Village Gold for 7,50 dollars or 8,64 euro
Link to reddit thread

Read the reddit thread for information

Sadly you'll get one key.
And get everything according to this page
Thank you, got a copy for me and a friend. If like me you get a Razer Wallet error just back out of it, use the store page link again and it will give you the option to pay by Visa/Mastercard as well as Razer/Crypto.

Reactions: MomoVideo and Deku

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Reactions: lashman and Deku
Status
Not open for further replies.