Community MetaSteam | March 2023 - You know, Wo Leon, we really are the last of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

MetaMember
Jan 26, 2019
Controversial opinion time: I think that there is a lot of hyperbole these days around "bad PC ports" and that many of the ports aren't actually bad at all. Sometimes games get pushed out the door a bit too early, no doubt at the behest of the publisher, but most PC games today show a level of effort from the developers that was completely absent during the dark times of the late 90s-late 00s.
I don't find this controversial as much as I find it true. I mean, we are getting Sony exclusives now! And most of them are great ports, with tons and tons of settings to customize and all main PC features supported. TLOU has more ingame settings to play with than most PC exclusives..

Spookyfriend

Jan 27, 2019
Possible price error alert
Resident Evil 7 Gold and Resident Evil Village Gold for 7,50 dollars or 8,64 euro
Link to reddit thread

Read the reddit thread for information

Sadly you'll get one key.
And get everything according to this page
Wow it works. Thanks for sharing the deal
I notice they are selling other version of Resident Evil ,if only they are selling the remake version haha

Reactions: lashman and Deku

Avern

MetaMember
May 14, 2020
Controversial opinion time: I think that there is a lot of hyperbole these days around "bad PC ports" and that many of the ports aren't actually bad at all. Sometimes games get pushed out the door a bit too early, no doubt at the behest of the publisher, but most PC games today show a level of effort from the developers that was completely absent during the dark times of the late 90s-late 00s.
Agreed. It also feels like there's a contingent of players who got into PC gaming during the last console generation with middling hardware and got the idea that you never need to upgrade your PC. I don't think it's a coincidence that a lot of the complaining is coming right as more games are starting to openly target the PS5 over the PS4. People need to learn to upgrade when new console gens hit if they want to play with shiny graphics.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
I agree.
I blame the general level of blatant exaggeration in online discourse today at least partially on the fact that more realistic takes make for much less clickbaity headlines, which in turn results in less ad revenue.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Looks kinda nice but with the trailer fullscreened some of the characters look like proper pixel art and others like it's hand drawn art made low res after the fact, they get fuzzy and blurry especially outside their idle animation. The trailer should probably not be done all in the barren empty training background either.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

MonthOLDpickle

我會打敗你!!
Oct 31, 2018
Taiwan
So if I have a I7 3770k and a gtx 1070, should I refund TLoU?
How did refunding a gift even work? I am still in the states to the 10th of April.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah, I'd love to know how many shaders it is compiling, and what exactly is going on there.

As I said, using 100% of the CPU is generally a good thing in this context, but if you do that your time should be measured in seconds, not minutes.
FWIW, the complete shader compile blob takes about 12 GB (no, not a typo, gigabytes) of disc space.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
They revoked my RE Village game from Steam. What the hell, I didn't even think it was possible
Same. Revoking the key without any sort of communication sure is a Choice.
Guess I'll give them a bit more time and if nothing happens before I go to bed PayPal Chargeback it is?

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah, a couple high profile stinkers every now and then is child's play compared to ports that were like "you can turn on and off fullscreen and vsync and neither option really works"

Last edited:

MomoVideo

ķ͕͕̍̅͋ḭ̼͂̕lļ͓̞̙̀͗͆̊ ͉͛m͕̲̮̆̒̐̍͢e ͠
Apr 5, 2021
Guess I'll give them a bit more time and if nothing happens before I go to bed PayPal Chargeback it is?
Yeah, if I don't see my money back tomorrow then I'm going to chargeback. They should have at least sent an email but there is no communication whatsoever.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
It's so weird that they required three women for this Ashley
3?

It may take over a month or two before you get your money back. I did a PayPal charge back for a steam key and that was a hassle.

• Blobxorcism
Reactions: Ascheroth

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Great bundle, but it's missing Ultrakill, Dusk, Amid Evil, Turbo Overkill and Cultic, so not "best of boomer shooters", but still a good bundle.

LEANIJA

MetaMember
May 5, 2019
Austria

Hey everyone,

A new hotfix for The Last of Us Part I is now live. This update primarily focusses on stability and performance improvements and other smaller improvements.

The team is closely watching player reports and actively working on a patch with more bugfixes, to be released soon.

Patch Notes

• Fixed several performance & hitch related issues impacting some users.
  • Note:
    Additional improvements and investigations based on user feedback are underway.
  • Added extra crash diagnostic information to assist in investigating shader building related crashes and other common reported stability issues.

TheTrain

MetaMember
Jun 11, 2019
If anything I hope that Sony realizes that they need to embrace the platform with 100% dedication, something that they have not done yet. They still navigate towards this behaviour where they want to sell PC games but they also don't want to piss off their fanbase (I still find crazy being jealous of a game available on more platform but it is what it is) and all of that is leading them towards half baked late port of good games.
Just look at Microsoft, the day they decided to not limit themself with some self-made rule they started releasing some of the best in-class PC game to date.

At this point I just hope they even bother porting it :(
They will, this is a long run and a company wide choice to expand the brand awareness and, ultimately, gain more money. They all know that console and PC market do not collide to any dangerous extent. Problem is that they are still transitioning to this new modus operandi, and that's where they need to do a step foward

Last edited:

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Yeah, a couple high profile stinkers every now and then is child's play compared to ports that were like "you can turn on and off fullscreen and vsync and neither option really works"
I think the problem has occurred far too often in the last 6-12 months to be dismissed as an infrequent occurrence, at least in the AAA space. Sony alone has released 5 games on PC in the last 6 months (Uncharted, Sackboy, Miles Morales, Returnal, TLOU). Four out of those five have had problems at launch with Spiderman being the only exception. Even outside that one publisher, it really feels like you hear about a lot of PC versions of games having problems at launch. From memory, I can recall hearing about problems with Plague Tale, Gotham Knights, Call of Duty, Callisto Protocol, Midnight Suns, Dead Space, Forspoken and Hogwarts. This is just from the last 6 months. I recall reading about stuttering problems in Elden Ring a year ago.

I think the severity of the problem seems diffused among the PC gamer population because of a variety of reasons. First, there's so many games releasing these days, including indies, that when you account for taste or even budgeting, it's unlikely that a single person will be able to play all of the ones that have problems. Second, due to quirks of various hardware configurations, it is entirely possible that you never experience a problem that is affecting a large number of people or maybe you just brute force through some of them. For me personally, I've never run into the shader stuttering problem because I've played only 2 out of all the games I listed in the previous paragraph - Hogwarts and Call of Duty. Hogwarts was flawless for me, but I do recall reading about how lots of people were having performance issues with it. I think I was just able to brute force through all of that because I have decent hardware. Call of Duty is a whole other story.

One cool thing about this iteration of Call of Duty is that the PC version has more settings options than I've ever seen in any game. In fact, it has so many options that they also implemented a search bar in the options menu just so you can easily find what you're looking for. They put a lot of effort into the PC version and it is truly appreciated. But all that effort is not enough if you don't finish it properly. Because the game was incredibly unstable at launch. There were so many performance and connection problems with cryptic error messages that you would go mad trying to play the game. There was also nothing you could do to fix it and it didn't matter how powerful or weak your hardware was. I can't tell you how many times my friends and I tried to play together and someone or the other would keep crashing non stop. Like, we could not reliably play a full 8 minute match without someone crashing to desktop. All that effort they put into adding 200 different settings options (compared to the 6 options that the PC port of Bioshock had in 2006) meant nothing when people couldn't play the game for 5 minutes at a time. The game eventually stabilized for us with patches and driver updates but there are still people who are experiencing different problems with the game even to this day.

The point I'm making is that I don't think we should accept the current state of affairs because of how much worse things used to be or could be. This is a software quality control problem. It's also not something that happens to the software. It's something the developers do. I understand all software is going to behave in weird ways and break when hundreds of thousands of people start using it. So you expect that you'll have to fix issues that pop up after release. But if you want to tell me that Iron Galaxy and Sony did not know that the game takes 30-60 minutes to compile shaders when you launch the game then I have a bridge to sell you. They were not blindsided by this. They knew. It's why they didn't give out PC review codes to anybody until right before launch. I think you should be super annoyed by how this company is treating you if you are a paying customer.

Why companies treat PC gamers like this is a whole other can of worms I'd rather not open right now. But you know they don't pull this kind of bullshit with the console versions of their games. One, because they make more money there, so they prioritize the Playstation version of any game. Second, because those platforms actually enforce quality standards and they would just not be able to release games there if they tried the nonsense they can get away with on PC. And there's nothing anyone can do about that because there will never be any entity enforcing quality standards on PC. And lastly, because gamers are quite possibly the least discerning consumers around.

Last edited:

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
But you know they don't pull this kind of bullshit with the console versions of their games.
I don't fully agree with this.

The companies who make PC ports that I would qualify as truly and unrepentantly bad , e.g. Koei-Tecmo, also frequently make terrible console versions (in terms of performance on a given system with given graphical output). But those don't seem to be publicized as much, since there's more of a you take what you get attitude there I feel.

Also, the only company in gaming I am aware of that ever had real quality standards for performance that they enforced were Google with Stadia.

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Yeah it's true that console quality and certification standards don't seem to be quite as stringent as they used to be. A turd like Battlefield 2042 that was broken in every which way on every platform got released on consoles as well. I'm sure it happens with other games. I'm not trying to imply that a console release is the ultimate seal of quality. Just that in most cases they will have less problems and less egregious problems than PC ports. If a studio is stretched for time then they will almost always necessarily prioritize getting the console version into better shape than the PC version.

I also want to mention that these kinds of problems damage the reputation of PC gaming. As an anecdote, I play multiplayer games with a friend for an hour or two after dinner. This past week we were not able to play for a few days because call of duty and overwatch started misbehaving on my friend's PC. We tried troubleshooting the problem but eventually he had to reinstall Windows, reconfigure everything and redownload all his games. All the time he was getting pissed off and saying that he should just sell his PC and get a PS5. He wasn't super serious about that but the frustration was real. It feels bad when you have a limited amount of time and you end up having to deal with this kind of shit. And it's not just this one particular instance... This is the kind of thing that builds up over time if these kinds of problems keep reoccurring.

For the last year I've had this impression that the Steam Deck has been putting PC gaming in a very positive light and it's getting a lot of first timers to try it out. At the same time, I think these kinds of problems and hardware pricing are making it less attractive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.