Community MetaSteam | May 2019 - Raging About the Rats in Kamurocho

Which of these 4 SEGA games are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Mordhau is sitting on 54K concurrent players on Steam right now and 75K next weekend is certainly possible. Seriously, the game is great and I lost the count of how many time I've stated this already.

Reactions: IAchilleasI

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019
For some reason my PC didnt output video until I removed and reinserted the GPU, weird.

Have you tried pouring water on it?
lol. Thanks, I needed the laugh, I almost fell to tears when it didnt boot up, this week was not good for me and this was the ultimate kick in the balls

Last edited:
Reactions: 「Echo」
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Mordhau is sitting on 54K concurrent players on Steam right now and 75K next weekend is certainly possible. Seriously, the game is great and I lost the count of how many time I've stated this already.
good, good ... the more people are playing it the better :)

Reactions: IAchilleasI
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018

The famous quote of "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" and also "No bullshit policy" is something we take very seriously all the time during the development since the early days. Things like pricing $30 instead of $29.99, no sales, no micro-transactions, game stability over features, no selling-out to big companies that would use the game as cash grab while destroying the brand (we actually declined to negotiate "investment opportunities" like this several times already, no matter what the price would be), the same would be when it would potentially come to any exclusivity deals, which is its own subject...

kio

MetaMember
Apr 19, 2019
Earlier today I finished the first Trails in the Sky game and the truth is the last stretch is painful to play, or 'not play' since 70% of the last 5h you are stuck in pointless conversations. Also, whoever thought 3 bosses in a row is good game design needs to be shot. I probably didn't do myself any favors playing it on hard difficulty, which made enemies have hyper inflated hp pools and damage.

The combat system is also at odds with itself since there are a lot of tiny things that make no sense when you put them together: team formations + small arenas, the little knockback the damaged unit suffers + the need to channel magic, the fact some characters are useless at getting high tier spells due to their magic slot layout but then also suck at dealing physical damage, the lack of AoE spells and attacks when you're constantly outnumbered, etc.
The writers also can't seem to agree what type of story and characters they want, jumping back and forth between the typical japanese tropes and the deconstructions of those tropes. It's so inconsistent and detrimental to the overall experience.

Overall it's not a bad game but I have some problems calling it a good game. Feels like a typical jrpg with some little twists that work 50% of the times. I might buy and play the 2nd game but not anytime soon.

I feel bad for not enjoying it. Felt just like chivalry did, which isn't bad by itself if that's all that you're looking for, but I wanted something more. Clearly I was the problem.

Reactions: QFNS and lashman

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Yeah, and then there's the fact that oculus did what epic is doing only already for a few years. But nobody gave a shit. Because it's vr. Fuck Facebook. Fuck epic. Nate Mitchell is the same kind of weasel Timmy always was.
To be fair, Oculus mostly actually funded the development of their exclusives, and they never made any "take it off Steam" deals.
I still don't use their store, but I don't actively hate it either.

SRossi

regretten? rien!
Dec 9, 2018
To be fair, Oculus mostly actually funded the development of their exclusives, and they never made any "take it off Steam" deals.
Sure, they did fund a lot of their exclusives and I was not talking about those; I was talking about those bought timed exclusives but sure, it was not so irritating like snatching them directly from steam. I guess I just can't stand watching interviews with Nate. He just seems so dishonest to me but that's just my subjective feeling towards him.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, Oculus is fine. I'm def using it for their upcoming exclusives with no bitter aftertaste. I'm waiting for a Lone Echo 2-pack, I'm getting Stormland also if it's as cool as it looks so far and probably also Journey of the Gods by Turtle Rock Studios as it looks like a cool Zelda-like action adventure (probably not that grand in scope but yeah). Asgard's Wrath has potential too but we'll see. I also have high hopes for the Respawn Entertainment game even if it's been confirmed that it's not Titanfall VR. The Darth Vader series I don't think looks too good (yet) but we'll see what it develops into (and I think it's the developer who has the IP rights so it's not like Oculus could pass it on to Insomniac instead). But none of that would have been made at all without Oculus. There are (weird) people with some kind of super fanboyism over Oculus (yeah idk) going by their often awful forum (it also backfires with heated hatred when they don't please them, like with Rift S not being a Super Deluxe Rift 2, haha) so maybe there are some small non-funded exclusives but it's their choice I guess and I've not seen anything noteworthy. It's great to see at least one company fund higher budget VR stuff, what else is there beyond Oculus and what Valve makes? Maybe a few experiments that the given company didn't follow up as the VR market is small still. I do love indies but yeah. I'd also like to run Steam VR without the Oculus app being on though.

Now they have a "console" with Oculus Quest so I guess we'll see a lot of deals over that, hopefully it won't affect the PC side negatively but I also think Quest can do a lot for VR market penetration in general so that it's a net positive. Though I wish it was 299 instead (or way better specs for 399), it could happen later.

Last edited:

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
Earlier today I finished the first Trails in the Sky game and the truth is the last stretch is painful to play, or 'not play' since 70% of the last 5h you are stuck in pointless conversations. Also, whoever thought 3 bosses in a row is good game design needs to be shot. I probably didn't do myself any favors playing it on hard difficulty, which made enemies have hyper inflated hp pools and damage.

The combat system is also at odds with itself since there are a lot of tiny things that make no sense when you put them together: team formations + small arenas, the little knockback the damaged unit suffers + the need to channel magic, the fact some characters are useless at getting high tier spells due to their magic slot layout but then also suck at dealing physical damage, the lack of AoE spells and attacks when you're constantly outnumbered, etc.
The writers also can't seem to agree what type of story and characters they want, jumping back and forth between the typical japanese tropes and the deconstructions of those tropes. It's so inconsistent and detrimental to the overall experience.

Overall it's not a bad game but I have some problems calling it a good game. Feels like a typical jrpg with some little twists that work 50% of the times. I might buy and play the 2nd game but not anytime soon.
I remember there were enough AoE spells and special attacks? I also played it on hard and it was kinda annoying to deal with but it's just having the right party members, utilizing S-crafts and using magic to buff/debuff them. The 2nd game is really good in terms of story and added gameplay improvements, though if you're thinking of getting it, play it on normal because there are parts where it gets bullshity. I don't really blame you for not liking certain parts, it has old gameplay designs ideas such as the channel magic where it takes two turns that not everyone can enjoy, at least you gave it a try.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019

I feel bad for not enjoying it. Felt just like chivalry did, which isn't bad by itself if that's all that you're looking for, but I wanted something more. Clearly I was the problem.
Trails in the Sky FC aged badly and while the story is crazy good and the OST is also great, its doesn't not excel in any of the remaining aspects. Honestly, people that say that it's the best entry point (or the best at anything compared to the other games) for the Trails series are crazy.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I'll grant you DRPG.
Anyone sane would agree Dragon Quest V is the best JRPG in existence.
Dragon Quest V doesn't even have fishing. That alone disqualifies it from any comparison with Trails.

Reactions: Kvik

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Comparing Trails to DQ is pretty unfair to be quite honest. One has world-building, great characters, and while yeah, Trails in the Sky FC and SC didn't stand the test of time, every game from that point on are at the very least, a good game. Plus, the way that Falcom connected the Erebonia games with the Crossbell ones is insane.

And the other is a series of bland JRPGs with individual forgettable stories. DQV, VIII and XI seems to be the only exceptions, and I'm not sure how DQV aged.

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
So apparently EasyAntiCheat is "pausing" Linux support. Meaning games like Rust are being hit hard by cheaters using Linux. Which if true doesn't look good.

Facepunch Studios have given an update on the future of Rust for Linux, issues with "third parties"
Easy Anti-Cheat are apparently "pausing" their Linux support, which could be a big problem

And big shocker, Epic acquired them last year. It honestly feels like Epic is going out of their way to fuck over Linux users at this point. Is SteamOS that big of a threat to them?

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
Comparing Trails to DQ is pretty unfair to be quite honest. One has world-building, great characters, and while yeah, Trails in the Sky FC and SC didn't stand the test of time, every game from that point on are at the very least, a good game. Plus, the way that Falcom connected the Erebonia games with the Crossbell ones is insane.

And the other is a series of bland JRPGs with individual forgettable stories. DQV, VIII and XI seems to be the only exceptions, and I'm not sure how DQV aged.
What the fuck is going on here?

Eila

Jan 21, 2019

Don't play SC in hard mode. Some of the fights will actually be hard.
I got through FC/SC/3rd without fast forward and really liked the games, but I did enjoy the setting/dialogue/music a lot. Think that's the strongest part of the series.

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
So apparently EasyAntiCheat is "pausing" Linux support. Meaning games like Rust are being hit hard by cheaters using Linux. Which if true doesn't look good.

Facepunch Studios have given an update on the future of Rust for Linux, issues with "third parties"
Easy Anti-Cheat are apparently "pausing" their Linux support, which could be a big problem

And big shocker, Epic acquired them last year. It honestly feels like Epic is going out of their way to fuck over Linux users at this point. Is SteamOS that big of a threat to them?
This was expected. Same goes for support for SteamPlay which Valve was helping with. (Dunno if Valve helped with version for Linux Native)

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
I'll grant you DRPG.
Anyone sane would agree Dragon Quest V is the best JRPG in existence.
Crazy, because so many of my all-time best are on the SNES. For best SNES JRPG I got:
1. Chrono Trigger
2. Terranigma
3. Lufia 2
4. FFVI
5. Earthbound
That's leaving out games like SoM3, Illusion of Gaia, SMRPG, Tales of Phantasia, BoF2.
And I've been missing out on the best of them all, apparently?

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD and Kuro

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Crazy, because so many of my all-time best are on the SNES. For best SNES JRPG I got:
1. Chrono Trigger
And I've been missing out on the best of them all, apparently?
Let's just say that Chrono Trigger is what you get when you combine the creative minds of both Final Fantasy (battle system, music, story) and Dragon Quest (game design, graphics).

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

fsdood

Jan 9, 2019
When will the crossbell games get translated. I know there's leaked fan translations, but it's iffy

Dragon1893

MetaMember
Apr 17, 2019
Talking shit about Trails in the Sky should be an automatic ban. From the internet.

QUOTE="fsdood, post: 38386, member: 405"]
When will the crossbell games get translated. I know there's leaked fan translations, but it's iffy
[/QUOTE]

Zero should be getting a fan translation that seems to be on par with XSeed's efforts this year.

Reactions: Kvik

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Zero? This year, maybe start of 2020 (unless they get DMCAed)
Ao? Forget about it, I'm personally betting on 2025.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Comparing Trails to DQ is pretty unfair to be quite honest. One has world-building, great characters, and while yeah, Trails in the Sky FC and SC didn't stand the test of time
I don't really agree.

Their pacing is terrible in some instances, but that's true of every Trails game, and really, every beloved JRPG that isn't Chrono Trigger.

They still have a better main character than any other Trails game (or JRPG) though, their world building is still great, and the battle system, while not as sophisticated as e.g. Cold Steel, is still good.

Wrong opinions being posted.
Next thing you know someone will post that RTwP is a good battle system to have in an RPG.
I can't change the fact that people are too dumb too enjoy it, but RtwP is great.

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
I love RtwP, I honestly feel most people's beef with it is more down to wonky balance and other not so great systems in some games rather than RtwP itself.

I instead endured through their wonkiness because RtwP is so great. Although Planescape Torment in particular was so bad I'd rather have no combat at all.

How about that Aarklash: Legacy game, straight to the point and very intuitive Real-time-with-Pause tacticality with very little in the way of RPG style fluff :)

Last edited:

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
The truth. The Trails games are the best series of connected games in any genre, period. Dragon Quest is meh (even the much beloved XI, which I dropped after 10ish hours, bored to death with the story).
It’s okay to be wrong sometimes.

Wrong opinions being posted.
Next thing you know someone will post that RTwP is a good battle system to have in an RPG.
People have posted this opinion. I've seen it firsthand. Absolute madness.

Let's just say that Chrono Trigger is what you get when you combine the creative minds of both Final Fantasy (battle system, music, story) and Dragon Quest (game design, graphics).
I will allow no Chrono Trigger slandering either!

This page shows it is time for the first bans!

Reactions: QFNS and BO7AMMOOD

Eila

Jan 21, 2019
Ehh, I'd never consider any of the DQ games an amazing looking game, unlike Chrono, which is one of the most beautiful 16-bit games.
And Chrono is fairly short and to the point. As far as a JRPG can be.

Reactions: MJunioR
Status
Not open for further replies.