Community MetaSteam | May 2019 - Raging About the Rats in Kamurocho

Which of these 4 SEGA games are you getting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digoman

Lurking in the Shadows
Dec 21, 2018
Always nice to see a success story like that, specially because it appears to own most of it to those annoying community features.

Another interesting thing is that it is one more example of the general "rule" that concurrent players during the launch period is aprox. 10% of sales, even on a multiplayer based game.

Code:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/370910/Kathy_Rain/?curator_clanid=33305025
Go get your free copy of Kathy Rain.
Sweet, a game on my wishlist for free. Now that's a painless way to grow the backlog.

Last edited:

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
Always nice to see a success story like that, specially because it appears to own most of it to those annoying community features.

Another interesting thing is that it is one more example of the general "rule" that concurrent players during the launch period is aprox. 10% of sales, even on a multiplayer based game.

Sweet, a game on my wishlist for free. Now that's a painless way to grow the backlog.
Now wishlist the dev's latest game ;D

BernardoOne

MetaMember
Oct 19, 2018
speaking of "ITS JUST A CLIENT WHY ARE YOU COMPLAINING"

https://abload.de/img/epic3vskxj.png{/img]

Ashen no longer has a play button for me. It has a dumbass "get" button, which only redirects me to store page, which has yet another "get" button, which just redirects me to the general store.

"IT'S JUST ANOTHER LAUNCHER" yet it can't even fucking launch things properly.

NarohDethan

There was a fish in the percolator!
Apr 6, 2019

Ashen no longer has a play button for me. It has a dumbass "get" button, which only redirects me to store page, which has yet another "get" button, which just redirects me to the general store.

Hey man, Steam started small, give it a few months. And the road map isnt legally binding you know? In fact, you're probably responsible for the devs crunch.

:p
I forgot about that dark souls ripoff, It's coming to steam in December right?
Code Vein? You mean the superior DS for the virtue of anime?

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
Code Vein looks alright despite the anime trash, but I'm talking about the money hatted one that looks like all the colour got sucked out of it.

Reactions: NarohDethan

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
I uninstalled Ashen after 3 hours over how trite it was.
"What if Dark Souls had fetch quests?" isn't a question interesting enough to require a 20 hour long answer.
Glad good guy Tim had paid for my copy.

OMEGALUL

Apr 15, 2019
Wasn't it supposed to be released by now, the dark souls factory can make a souls like game every year and its not like its hard to do.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Wait does Code Vein not have a Steam store page yet or am I crazy?
It never had a page and the constant delays haven't helped to get one. we will have to wait a bit longer I guess :)

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
Wasn't it supposed to be released by now, the dark souls factory can make a souls like game every year and its not like its hard to do.
BN probably realized they cant get away with releasing a shit anime carbon copy of DS now and they went back to the drawing board.

Or the thing is getting cancelled, who knows.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
I wish Code Vein was a "carbon copy" of DS. At least the level design would be better than what they had to show with last E3's demo.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
BN probably realized they cant get away with releasing a shit anime carbon copy of DS now and they went back to the drawing board.

Or the thing is getting cancelled, who knows.
It was supposed to release before God Eater 3, but they've delayed it to add proper multiplayer. And maybe they're doing some other changes too while they're at it, who knows.
It doesn't, for some reason (that reason may or may not be named 'Bandai Namco')
I really don't understand why Namco are so dumb with their store pages. You don't put them up the day of release, dammit. You put them way before, so that people can wisthlist your game, get a reminder when it releases, and Steam can promote your game on the front page.
It drives me crazy when publishers don't understand this.

NarohDethan

Apr 6, 2019
I really don't understand why Namco are so dumb with their store pages. You don't put them up the day of release, dammit. You put them way before, so that people can wisthlist your game, get a reminder when it releases, and Steam can promote your game on the front page.
It drives me crazy when publishers don't understand this.
Them and Koei Tecmo, JesusChrist.
Post 400 was to bitch about KT and BN, smh.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Eh, I've heard not so great things about the Cold Steel stuff, and the harem bullshit save the world high school students.
Let me clarify something real quick. To simply dismiss Cold Steel as "harem bullshit" is merely a surface-level examination of what Cold Steel (and the entire Trails series) is all about. One could complain all night long until they're blue in the face about how the high school setting is overdone and the anime tropes have reared its ugly head yet again in the first half an hour of the game. However, peel away the surface layer and you will find a good game, with a world-building that is second to none, characters with plenty of motives and development, and a plotline that has been threaded for 5 games (I'm speaking strictly for the English releases).

Now, perhaps you've surmised that there is romance in the game, and by spending enough time with them, you can have a number of romantic relationship of your choice. However, you won't be able to "romance" multiple characters at once, since not every cast member on your team is a romantic interest. And obviously, you won't be able to string a number of romantic interests along, unlike a certain "Phantom Thief" game.

Lastly, saving the world isn't the point of Cold Steel game (or even the Trails series, even). These kids didn't set out to save the world, nor any of them is a sort of messianic character destined to lead humankind to enlightenment. However, their pursuit is still noble and their cause just. Of course, the time investments required to delve into this series isn't small, but the payoff is one of the best gaming experiences I ever come across.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
We really need a RPG OT. I should probably make one at some point if no else does.

This is the continuation of my previous Kenshi story.

I'm glad some of you enjoyed reading my previous post. I thought I'd share a little of my recent adventures.

After my escape from the cannibals, I decided to go anywhere but north. I saw the ocean, I swam in its acidic waters, and I nearly died stealing Beak Thing eggs. Just your regular day in Kenshi, but then I decided to enter The Swamp...

The walk to its largest city -- Shark -- was fairly tranquil. I saw Swamp Turtles and River Raptors, and marveled at the wildlife here. Both seemed content to ignore me as I passed.

Shark itself was busy with life. Merchants yelled out to sell their swamp drugs and fish. There were places of commerce all around. They even cultivated their own crops. One of the bars had an interesting sign. And nobody called me a flatskin! This is a place I could live in!

I'd come to regret that thought in the following the days. You see, there is something they don't tell you about the swamps -- the Blood Spiders. These things are vicious. They'll spot you a mile away and rip you to shreds. And once they've done that, they'll proceed to suck the life out of you. I once saw one rip someone's arm clean off!

Throughout the next few days I'd meet new companions, explore my surroundings, and run away from Blood Spiders. The few times I did have to fight them were horrific. I count myself lucky I still have all of my limbs.

As awful as it was, I came to understand The Swamp. The Swamp Turtles roam peacefully, but are hunted by us for their meat. We grow crops and think our walls will protect us, but the Blood Spiders still find a way. And the River Raptors eat what is left of Blood Spider corpses and our crops. Not even Shark was safe, as it was common occurrence to see Blood Spiders break through. Only the strongest survive here, and that's not me. Let's get the fuck out.

I packed up my things for the long trip ahead, and just as I was about to leave nature comes knocking... The River Raptors aren't my problem, I'm getting out while I still can.

I thought it wise to hire some help, and little do they know, they're going to earn those cats. Meet the Mercenaries.

Nature it seems did not want to let us go. Seconds after leaving Shark...

Already we'd suffered significant wounds. Green and the Escaped Servant's limp were sure to slow us down. The journey wasn't easy or quick, and the Mercenaries certainly earned their pay fending off several attacks along the way.

We were nearly there when the Mercenaries rushed off out in the distance. I didn't even have time to see who they were attacking when I saw something else... Blood Spiders, and a lot of them. I panicked and ran, I was in no condition to fight, and I thought I could get away, but someone didn't make it. The Escaped Servant's previous wounds slowed him down too much. There was nothing I could do without risking everyone's life. He had escaped cannibals only to now be sucked dry by Blood Spiders...

I don't know what happened to the Mercenaries, but the swamp was behind us now.

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018
Of course, the time investments required to delve into this series isn't small, but the payoff is one of the best gaming experiences I ever come across.
It's just a shame how the fate of future English releases is up in the air.
Screw you, Kondo.

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
We really need a RPG OT. I should probably make one at some point if no else does.
Do it! I'm very interested in reading about old, obscure RPGs, and obviously new, indie RPG like Kenshi.

It's just a shame how the fate of future English releases is up in the air.
Screw you, Kondo.

Well, its fate has been sealed. By NISA.

MJunioR

MetaMember
Mar 13, 2019
Just here giving this thread some hotness.
Went in expecting Tim or Randy, got very disappointed on your definition of 'hotness' :mad:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me clarify something real quick. To simply dismiss Cold Steel as "harem bullshit" is merely a surface-level examination of what Cold Steel (and the entire Trails series) is all about. One could complain all night long until they're blue in the face about how the high school setting is overdone and the anime tropes have reared its ugly head yet again in the first half an hour of the game. However, peel away the surface layer and you will find a good game, with a world-building that is second to none, characters with plenty of motives and development, and a plotline that has been threaded for 5 games (I'm speaking strictly for the English releases).

Now, perhaps you've surmised that there is romance in the game, and by spending enough time with them, you can have a number of romantic relationship of your choice. However, you won't be able to "romance" multiple characters at once, since not every cast member on your team is a romantic interest. And obviously, you won't be able to string a number of romantic interests along, unlike a certain "Phantom Thief" game.

Lastly, saving the world isn't the point of Cold Steel game (or even the Trails series, even). These kids didn't set out to save the world, nor any of them is a sort of messianic character destined to lead humankind to enlightenment. However, their pursuit is still noble and their cause just. Of course, the time investments required to delve into this series isn't small, but the payoff is one of the best gaming experiences I ever come across.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Code Vein looks cool but I hope it has a decent story to make it something other than anime-souls.

Dandy

Bad at Games.
Apr 17, 2019

Check the forums to see if there is a fix! Oh wait.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
I just hope that Falcom themselves learn something from the very icy reception to Sen IV in Japan. Here's hoping Calvard doesn't fall into the same mistakes as Erebonia...
What icy reception?
Are the Japanese fans pissed there aren't enough lolis in the game?

Reactions: NarohDethan

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
What icy reception?
Nah, Apparently its a pretty disappointing finale according to a lot of fans. But I don't know the details because i'm trying to avoid it until the western release.

Theswweet

Dirty Weeb
Mar 12, 2019
What icy reception?
I'll spoiler it for folks that don't want to know anything about the game itself, but it's actually a pretty all-encompassing complaint that's been boiling since Cold Steel started out.

Essentially, one of the things people enjoyed about Cold Steel III was how Falcom actually allowed characters besides Rean to forge relationships of their own, and how he wasn't the center of everyone's problems. While you still had characters you could choose as your waifu, it wasn't a major focus or anything, and the overall plot focus was much better compared to Cold Steel II. Cold Steel IV, however, throws all of that away. Characters like Juna had crushes and relationships of their own, even if you had social links with them they still had that ability to just... not be dated. In CSIV, waifus are given a much much larger focus. Characters from previous arcs (including Estelle) act flustered around Rean, characters from Cold Steel 1-3 abandon their pre-established chemistry (such as Juna) to become datable options for Rean. Celine gets an anthro form and becomes a party member, with nothing but handwaving. A lot of Cold Steel 2's issues - disjointed plot progression, inconsistent storytelling, etc - are compounded in CSIV. That, along with a declining soundtrack due to Mitsuo Singa gaining a larger role in Falcom JDK, meant that a lot of fans found themselves disappointed.

It isn't fair to say that the Japanese fanbase wants stuff like lolis. If anything, the NA/JP fanbase tend to see eye to eye on a lot of things. One of the most popular reviews for CSIV on Amazon Japan is a long rant about how Falcom have been ignoring the strengths of the series more and more gradually as Cold Steel has gone on, and how CSIV completely missed what made the series special. Falcom held a poll for which couple to include on a reversible body pillow - and the JP fanbase voted for Rean/Crow. It's a meme among the community that Rean probably should've been gay, because it makes a lot of the plot points in CS2 make more sense, and would've hopefully saved us from some of the issues that cropped up in CSIV.

I've seen the fandom, and a lot of the biggest Kiseki/Trails fans that actually import the stuff have been really burnt out after CSIV. The overall opinion on Falcom as a whole atm isn't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.