Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOdin

Dec 3, 2018
I couldn't agree more, both on level design and the use of physics as well as systems-driven gameplay instead of designer-wants-it-that-way, outcome-driven gameplay.
I think level-/dungeon-design around the mechanics of a game can also be had with "designer-wants-it-that-way" as long as the "verbs" of a game are not just shoot/swing sword and "press button to interact". Would also argue there is place for a more authored experienced in games though I would believe it is much harder to pull off enticingly as a system-driven approach so we mostly see combat encounters.

Reactions: ISee and Swenhir

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I think level-/dungeon-design around the mechanics of a game can also be had with "designer-wants-it-that-way" as long as the "verbs" of a game are not just shoot/swing sword and "press button to interact". Would also argue there is place for a more authored experienced in games though I would believe it is much harder to pull off enticingly as a system-driven approach so we mostly see combat encounters.
I think I spoke too categorically, and you are completely right. Uncharted games reflect what you say for instance, and I love them to bits. It's just that we aren't getting a lot of the kind of games designed around the ethos of systemic gameplay that Valve so embraces. They are much harder to create, you are right there too. Since the outcome can't be controlled, the approach has to be really different and can't be solely outcome-driven, but have an underlying vision. Not that there isn't one in the other case, but this is one instance where I feel it's really indispensable.

That being said, I'm not a designer and I've only watched so many GDC videos. It's only what I can imagine.

In some cases, the designer's hand is so heavy that it frustrates me and makes me stop buying into the experience. When done right, it can be amazing.

Reactions: ISee and BlueOdin

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
Publishing a new TLOU2 trailer when Youtube is full of leaks and spoilers is... hmm... a peculiar move. I can already see people searching for the trailer on youtube and finding story leaks instead. lol

Reactions: PC-tan and ISee

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
I would resub to Gamepass for FFIX, but without AI upscaled backgrounds, nope.
Thanks again UWP.

Reactions: Swenhir

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Just watched the new TLOU 2 trailer.

Spoilers be damned, Im getting this game. Looks amazing.

Deleted member 113

Has there been any recent news about further PC ports of older Suda 51/Grasshopper Manufacture games?

At the time killer7 was announced, there was talks about a Flower, Sun and Rain port, but I haven't heard anything more since then. :(

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
What are peoples thoughts on ghost of T.

People do seemed hyped for it. Especially when there was talk about a new AC game a week ago and people were asking if it would be set in Japan people were saying that there was no need because of Ghost of T.

Also the internet is a wild place sometimes you see things so crazy and out there that you are not sure if that person is real or just messing with you

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
What are peoples thoughts on ghost of T.

People do seemed hyped for it. Especially when there was talk about a new AC game a week ago and people were asking if it would be set in Japan people were saying that there was no need because of Ghost of T.
When I looked at the combat I immediately started to dislike it but that's just me personally. It looks really good visually though

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
I had the opposite reaction, it looks like... nothing particularly interesting from this trailer.
I just really did not like the gameplay of the first game, and the story of this one doesn’t appeal to me. It’s like if Mortal Kombat was completely 100% serious and only over the top in violence and grimdark.

But it’s obvious if someone’s a fan of this kind of movie, well here’s a game very much like that kind of movie! This is the dream of gaming in the Clinton years realized.

DollEyes

Out of Mana
Apr 17, 2019
I haven’t looked at any spoilers but I’m looking forward to TLOU2. It’ll probably be the last time I dust my PS4 off.

Reactions: ISee

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
I haven’t looked at any spoilers but I’m looking forward to TLOU2. It’ll probably be the last time I dust my PS4 off.
Only thing I have left on my PS4 wishlist is:

Paper Beast (hoping for a PCVR version)
Ghost of Tsushima
TLOU 2
Medievil
Concrete Genie
Judgement (hoping for a PC version)
KH 2.8 (hoping for a PC version)
Yakuza 3-5 Remastered (hoping for a PC version)
Yakuza 6 (hoping for a PC version)

So basically just 4 games that are full PS4 exclusive with no hope for a PC version unless Sony changes their mind.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
Just watched the new TLOU 2 trailer.

Spoilers be damned, Im getting this game. Looks amazing.
I'm amazed from a technical standpoint. The facial capture, the animation quality and blending, hell, the acting are amazing.

It's also utterly depressing and I'm not getting anywhere near that. The first one was a lot more tender between the explosions of gore and violence. This is just gruesome :(.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
I was thinking of getting a PS5 sometime next year mostly so that I could play PS4 games. Then, in 2023 when there are also good PS5 games, I'll say to myself "damn Wildebeet, it's too bad you can't play those cool PS5 games. Yeah, I know. I've only got this PS4 ... Oh wait!"

But by that time the fan will run loud and I'll be looking up how to run it in a dishwasher to fix it, or whatever those console people do to fix things.

Reactions: Joe Spangle

ZKenir

Setting the Seas Ablaze
May 10, 2019

Considering that CD Projekt RED always expressed a firm stance against microtransactions in the game, the mention certainly sounds off, so Twinfinite reached out to the studio directly to seek clarification on the issue.
A CD Projekt RED representative explained that the “in-game purchases” descriptor is now required for games that may receive expansions in the future.

Joe Spangle

Playing....
Apr 17, 2019
Today I finished Far Cry 5! About 30 hours or so. I liked it. Looks good, ran pretty well, I tend to just mainline the story doing the odd side quest if i can be bothered or if it looks interesting. I do like Far Crys for mindless shooty bang fun. Thought that the setting of middle America was ok, think i prefer 2, 3 and 4 overall but i still have had 30 hours of fun so looking forward to 6 (and buying it on Steam for £15ish in a sale hopefully)

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019
This is the dream of gaming in the Clinton years realized.
I don't know why but this line is hilarious.

That trailer was a big swing and a miss for me. Technically interesting but yeeks way too dark for my tastes.

Guess my grimdark bloodlust simply peaked around Natural Born Killers. And that s**t was satire, lol.

Sure the cinematic gaming crowd will eat it up though.

crimsonheadGCN

MetaMember
Jan 20, 2019
Clifton, New Jersey
www.resetera.com

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018

Never thought we'd see the day that Nintendo started porting its games over to PC. Entirely against it's will, sure, but I'll take what I can get.

I wonder if within a few years we'll see full remake versions of N64 games, not just textures.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
Just played the demo for Ghostrunner, and goddamn, I had to stop playing, its just too good and I don´t want to spoil anything for the full release.
After reading your comment I downloaded the demo and finished it in about 8 minutes (it does look promising!). You can safely play without actually spoiling anything major! or minor...

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Nice, love the Steamworks blogs.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Ascheroth

Eferis

MetaMember
Nov 12, 2018
I might have just purchased a 3800x :blobeyes:

wallet says :notlikethisblob:

I now need a Motherboard (going with MSI B450 longass cringe name) and PSU (going with the corsair RMX series, probably, still not sure about it)

I also still have to convince myself that I'm a very responsible adult and I don't need a new case. am I?

Last edited:

Alextended

Segata's Disciple
Jan 28, 2019
Huh, this didn't look too bad, if a bit twin-warriorsy. Very nice looking being for PS3/360 back then too.

Probably 100% bullvid like Ubisoft used to do back then, otherwise I don't see why they'd cancel something that was that far ahead and that nice.

It really evokes Sands of Time era PoP in a nice way and without too much cheesy grimdarkness as common in the PS360 days. Lots of brown but yeah.

Reactions: ISee

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I might have just purchased a 3800x :blobeyes:

wallet says :notlikethisblob:

I now need a Motherboard (going with MSI B450 longass cringe name) and PSU (going with the corsair RMX series, probably, still not sure about it)

I also still have to convince myself that I'm a very responsible adult and I don't need a new case. am I?

I really hope I'm not ruining your purchase, but Intel is going to launch their new 10-series of CPUs soonish (~end of may), new mainboards are already being presented. The new 10700 series of 8core/16thread CPUs could end up in a similar price range as the 3800x. AMD might have to reduce prices for their own 8 core line up, or you could get a faster Intel 8 core CPU for a similar price. But price gauging and availability will also play a role.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Ok, thanks Nzyme for the heads up, THIS IS REALLY COOL!!!!

• Added a new library shelf "Play Next", which recommends unplayed games from your library (similar to the Steam Labs experiment of the same name).

Speaking of cool things coming....

Code references were found not so long ago (thanks madjoki for your pics as always) so this might be coming sooner than we thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.