Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
So about Chimera Squad, there has been reports of rather fishy stuff going on in terms of analytics and telemetry. Source. Seems like it's phoning home to all kinds of locations, from 2K (alright), Firaxis (right) to amazon (why?), google analytics (...) and XSolla (who?).

Can someone confirm or deny how normal that is? It seems like it contacts half the known universe before even getting to the main menu and I don't think this is opt-in.

Deleted member 113

A new Japanese shmup just released on Steam:

---

Publisher LionWing Publishing released another Japanese shmup last year, the very enjoyable HORGIHUGH:

---

And speaking of shmups, a game that was released this year, and that not many people seem aware of is the fun, and totally bonkers Dezatopia.
The game has plenty of content, alternate routes, hidden bosses, it's a surprisingly "meaty" package that is well worth a look.

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
What's up everyone, long time no see.

What are your guys thoughts on gears tactics, if anyone is playing it? I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I wish i had more time to play though, I also want to finish a playthrough of trials of mana, only a couple of hours in. First world problems indeed.

So about Chimera Squad, there has been reports of rather fishy stuff going on in terms of analytics and telemetry. Source. Seems like it's phoning home to all kinds of locations, from 2K (alright), Firaxis (right) to amazon (why?), google analytics (...) and XSolla (who?).

Can someone confirm or deny how normal that is? It seems like it contacts half the known universe before even getting to the main menu and I don't think this is opt-in.
I read through this a few days ago and while i have no coding knowledge myself, a few knowledge people on various forums across the web commented; They said that his claims are complete bullshit. You can use steam options to completely launch in offline mode with no connections if you want. It's all analytics/cloud services. Xsolla is their payment processor if you don't buy it from steam.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
What's up everyone, long time no see.

What are your guys thoughts on gears tactics, if anyone is playing it? I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I wish i had more time to play though, I also want to finish a playthrough of trials of mana, only a couple of hours in. First world problems indeed.

I read through this a few days ago and while i have no coding knowledge myself, a few knowledge people on various forums across the web commented; They said that his claims are complete bullshit. You can use steam options to completely launch in offline mode with no connections if you want. It's all analytics/cloud services. Xsolla is their payment processor if you don't buy it from steam.
Thanks for the answer. Analytics are not trivial though and they should be opt-in. It seems wrong to me for them to monetize customer data without its consent, especially on a game you paid.

Reactions: Ruvon and lashman

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
OMG, YOU'RE ALIVE!!! :D

welcome back ... we missed you!

:wd_heart:
Hey i missed you and all the community too! I have an excuse for being super inactive past couple of years! I had a son, who is about to turn 2 in june and he's been oh such a handful. I didn't much buy into the having children will change EVERYTHING saying, but holy shit is it so accurate. Without going into much detail i will say i wish i had more gaming time back :sleep:

HEY HEY, WELCOME BACK, hope we see you here more often :D

Feel free to participate as much as you want and start any topic ^^
Thank you!

Thanks for the answer. Analytics are not trivial though and they should be opt-in. It seems wrong to me for them to monetize customer data without its consent, especially on a game you paid.
I don't think it's analytics they monetize i think its more analytics to improve their game, but i could be wrong.

OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Hey i missed you and all the community too! I have an excuse for being super inactive past couple of years! I had a son, who is about to turn 2 in june and he's been oh such a handful. I didn't much buy into the having children will change EVERYTHING saying, but holy shit is it so accurate. Without going into much detail i will say i wish i had more gaming time back :sleep:
oh ... so you're papa bear now :p

congrats! :D

Deleted member 113

I don't think this was posted already:

Basically, subscribe to their newsletter, and you get a key for the Anomaly Über Bundle, which includes all the games in their Anomaly series.

Got all the games already? Well, the key might be of interest to you anyway, since Anomaly 2 had a soundtrack DLC available only as part of a bundle that is no longer available on Steam. Personally, I never got that DLC, because the bundle wasn't one of those "complete the bundle" type of deals (if you had one game already, you couldn't purchase it), and this key granted me the OST DLC I was missing. :)

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
damn that was quick fix. I still really want to try that and Gears Tactics.

Reactions: lashman

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
damn that was quick fix. I still really want to try that and Gears Tactics.
My 2 cents: xcom chimera squad is a steal at $10 (I think the discount is over now on steam RIP), even more so if you have never played any xcom games. It's an excellent entry into the genre and series. However, for any veterans of squad turn based strategy games, it will get really repetitive super quick. I spent about 7 hours into it (About 50% of the campaign according to my estimate) then i moved on to gears tactics (I probably would have spent more time if not for gears tbh).

Gears tactics, however, is a full fledged $60 game and it clearly shows. It has a level of polish i have yet to see in any game of this genre and it far surpasses xcom in just overall quality of everything (Technicals, graphics, audio, the whole shebang screams AAA). I am about 9 hours in, and i am still thoroughly enjoying every new mission as they introduce something new every chapter. As far as gameplay goes, they took the xcom formula and twisted it a bit in their own way. The down mechanic is absolutely brilliant and works flawlessly in the game which honestly saves the need to "save scum" as it were. I haven't reloaded a single time in battle so far versus countless times in xcom 2. The first boss battle... holy shit... It was incredible. How can i describe it best? Imagine if you were doing a destiny raid but instead of playing a single character u were controlling all the characters of the squad from a top down view (albeit a bit more simplistic in fight mechanics).

Was it worth the $60? I can't say for sure yet as i haven't given it the full time and am still only like in chapter 7 or something. What i will say is that if you have any inclination towards games in this genre or u loved xcom, GIVE THIS ONE A TRY. Don't shrug it off simply because it's coalitions first foray into this genre or they mix up the xcom formula!

EdwardTivrusky

Good Morning, Weather Hackers!
Dec 8, 2018
Question about... another launcher! Sorry peeps!
Okay, i'd forgotten about Origin/EA's games and this particular issue but is there an easy way to take screenshots in Mass Effect Andromeda? I know there's the "~ Screenshot.Render" command but that's a pain in the ass. I just want to quickly mash a key to get screenshots.

On Nvidia but don't use GeForce Experience, so that's out. Alt+F2 just seemed to crash the game, well it stalled the screen anyway.
Do i have to resort to Win+Alt+PrntScrn in Gamebar? Because Fuck Me if i want to press 3 keys for a piccy.

I'm using FrostyMod to launch the game so do i add Frosty to Steam so i can simply F12 to my little heart's content?

Added bonus question, Is the game stuck at 1600x900 upscaled to 2560x1440? Can i change that easily or am i SOL? I can deal with it but i'd change it if i could.

On a happier note: WooHoo! I just checked Mass Effect Archives and i saved my RyderFem so i can import my PS4 face. Nice.

Arulan

Lizardman
Dec 7, 2018
In combination with the article Arulan posted in the RPG thread about what makes a good dungeon and how that is building something around the mechanics of the game that are not just combat encounters and currently still playing Half-Life 2 I came to the conclusion that this is not only true for RPG dungeons but for videogames in general.

Did just the level where you don't have to step on sand unless you want to be swarmed by antlions. There is platforming and using the physics to build bridges or stepping stones. I think in other games there would be "safe" spots in which some enemies might attack you regardless because you don't want to be bored. And what better way to do that than throwing a handful of enemies at you.

Which always brings me back to some guy at GDC or whatever saying "videogames should be build like theme parks" is one of the worst things that happened to the medium.
That's a good point.

Half-Life has always had a quality to it where you're playing with the tools at your disposal to make your fun, as opposed to the developer guiding you to where it supposedly is. This often contrasts so starkly with other games you feel like you're doing something you're not supposed to. It's a little hard to explain honestly, but this is perhaps the quality I love most about Half-Life.

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Question about... another launcher! Sorry peeps!
Okay, i'd forgotten about Origin/EA's games and this particular issue but is there an easy way to take screenshots in Mass Effect Andromeda? I know there's the "~ Screenshot.Render" command but that's a pain in the ass. I just want to quickly mash a key to get screenshots.

On Nvidia but don't use GeForce Experience, so that's out. Alt+F2 just seemed to crash the game, well it stalled the screen anyway.
Do i have to resort to Win+Alt+PrntScrn in Gamebar? Because Fuck Me if i want to press 3 keys for a piccy.

I'm using FrostyMod to launch the game so do i add Frosty to Steam so i can simply F12 to my little heart's content?

Added bonus question, Is the game stuck at 1600x900 upscaled to 2560x1440? Can i change that easily or am i SOL? I can deal with it but i'd change it if i could.

On a happier note: WooHoo! I just checked Mass Effect Archives and i saved my RyderFem so i can import my PS4 face. Nice.
You can take screenshots with Afterburner as well. I assume everyone's got that installed nowadays. Just set a hotkey and it'll do it for you just like that. Can get PNGs out of it too.

Reactions: EdwardTivrusky

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
You can take screenshots with Afterburner as well. I assume everyone's got that installed nowadays. Just set a hotkey and it'll do it for you just like that. Can get PNGs out of it too.
Thanks, i don't have anything like that installed and was hoping to get away without it but i'll be messing about with MEA some more tomorrow night and might end up installing Afterburner while i'm playing it if i can't find anything "Native".

Every time i use Origin i appreciate the Share button and Game Overlays even more.

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
Thanks, i don't have anything like that installed and was hoping to get away without it but i'll be messing about with MEA some more tomorrow night and might end up installing Afterburner while i'm playing it if i can't find anything "Native".

Every time i use Origin i appreciate the Share button and Game Overlays even more.
I know this may seem obvious or dumb but I was having an issue like this where i couldn't screenshot by 'normal' methods. Have u tried simply pressing the print screen button on your keyboard and then pasting that into something like paint?

low-G

old school cool
Nov 1, 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: PC-tan and lashman

EdwardTivrusky

Dec 8, 2018
I know this may seem obvious or dumb but I was having an issue like this where i couldn't screenshot by 'normal' methods. Have u tried simply pressing the print screen button on your keyboard and then pasting that into something like paint?
Yup and honestly it's too much effort as i like to take screenshots frequently and anything less than pressing a key is going to get annoying really quickly. I'll try Steam Overlay tomorrow, or GOG or RTSS. I've just noticed i have DXTory installed so i can try that too. The last Origin game i played was Fallen Order and i ran it through Steam for easy screenshots.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Ok, thanks Nzyme for the heads up, THIS IS REALLY COOL!!!!

Speaking of cool things coming....

Code references were found not so long ago (thanks madjoki for your pics as always) so this might be coming sooner than we thought.
That would be cool if that came as part of trading cards. Or would it mainly be limited to Steam events type of a thing?

Firewithin

MetaMember
Dec 19, 2018
Troubleshooting question...

I have had no trouble before putting my pc to sleep before but after yesterday when I unplugged my tower to dust inside and move to a new desk setup when I try to put it to sleep everything shuts off but the case fans continue to operate instead of sleeping with everything else like normal. I cant find any setting that would have changed and not sure how unplugging my tower would have screwed that up

freshVeggie

almost there
Sep 7, 2018
I'm good on soulslikes. Knee-deepin Nioh, Sekiro, Code Vein and Surge still backlog.
Funny you should mention it, since my temporary monitor (it's not mine, it's from the company I work for) is a similar one, it's a Samsung s24d33h.

I have a need for a decent size monitor, for work, but you're right, I was thinking of TVs, and going for a lot of inches. :grinning-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Yeah, I guess 24" is fine.

I'm unfamilar with AOC. Are they any good?

The store I'll probably be using (since it's close by) doesn't have that monitor in stock.

They have, for my price-tag:

Is the first one any good?
It rotates (which is good for shmups), so that would be cool for me.

From LG, they have quite a few:

(...)

Any suggestions from those?
I'm really out of the loop when it comes to monitors... :giggle:
After a quick glance, defo go for FreeSync support. But one thing I noticed. Aren't there any 1440p options?
Not sure about pricing in your region but there ought to be. Well, at least I hope.
Those prices for "just" 1080p at this time seem like a bad decision. Good luck on finding the right thing tho!

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Yup and honestly it's too much effort as i like to take screenshots frequently and anything less than pressing a key is going to get annoying really quickly. I'll try Steam Overlay tomorrow, or GOG or RTSS. I've just noticed i have DXTory installed so i can try that too. The last Origin game i played was Fallen Order and i ran it through Steam for easy screenshots.
Oh, btw you can also use the screenshot feature of ReShade if you have it installed. In the past capturing with ReShade is the only way you can capture the post-processing FX which can't be captured via Steam Overlay.

Other alternative maybe ShareX to capture pesky older DirectDraw VN games which doesn't play nice with Steam Overlay.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
And remember the game still has cheaters despite all of this. So I'm sure that it is preventing cheating but it also seems like people are still able to cheat.

I wonder how things will shape up by launch and if the buzz around the game will change once it's fully launched (because on Twitch at least people are still trying to get keys??)

Also I hear that CSGO has been getting updates

competition

Reactions: ISee

Myradeer

Rayon de Soleil
Apr 17, 2019
Yeah Vanguard stuff sounds nasty, I've heard multiple reports of people being forced to reset their computer in worst cases. Even without that, I wouldn't be willing to use any program that interfere with cooling fans.

Reactions: C-Dub and ISee

Kvik

Crossbell City Councillor
Dec 6, 2018
Downunder.
Is that Valorant game even fun? I mean, it already compromises most of the innocuous programs on your PC just because they can't think a better way of combating cheaters. It'll be like adding insult to injury if the game is mediocre at best.

liezryou

MetaMember
Oct 31, 2018
Is that Valorant game even fun? I mean, it already compromises most of the innocuous programs on your PC just because they can't think a better way of combating cheaters. It'll be like adding insult to injury if the game is mediocre at best.
Every single one of riots games are just ripoffs of other games with minor changes. Valorant being a huge blatant copy paste of CSGO. On that basis alone i refuse to play their game. Nevermind the god damn permissions u have to give to their anticheat to install their game. The only riot game i can honestly say is worth getting into is runeterra. Which is unfortunate because thats the riot game that has the least exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.