Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
Balthier? Oh, yeah. :)
You know it

Games that old are way, way behind the curve of contemporary releases. It is really insane to me that publishers think they deserve to price them at the same point as their release, nearly two decades ago, when they did barely fuck all to make them more current. The engine is still the same and HD textures aren't exactly all that hard when the models themselves didn't see any upgrade. The gameplay update dates from 2007. This port was all things considered rather routine, so what kind of value did they provide that justifies that price premium?
I mean, it's not simply "greedy", it's just capitalism. Clearly Square can afford to price them that high. FInal Fantasy is also arguably a lot more well-known than Homeworld, so a title in demand can stay at a high price for much longer. Look at GTA V, that thing was full price for near half a decade.
Which goes back to what I said: Final Fantasy XII is a great game

Reactions: lashman

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
I used to crowdfund a decent number of games, but now I only do so for very small number of exceptions.
It has to be something that looks really great (and affordable), or from a developer who I have previous positive experiences with.
Because more frequently than not, all you get is pissed off by the nerve some of these developers exhibit.

I have yet another example.

With this game:

The developer, who also did the game Pinstripe, crowdfunded the game for PC (with a possible release for the Switch).
The game had an expected delivery of late 2018. Yeah, I now, they never release the games on time.

Anyway, somewhere in 2019, he posted the game was pretty much done.
Then, after a period of silence, he posted that the game was delayed, for reasons he couldn't explain, but it was good news. And, at the same time he revoked the keys for backer beta's on Steam.
People were expecting the game to now be an EGS exclusive.

After some time, he said no, the game will still launch on Steam, but they were delaying the game (which was done) to release simultaneously with console ports. To which platforms? Well, he couldn't say. o_O

After another period of silence, the game launched today... on the Apple Arcade.
You know why it isn't out on PC?

Read the below text (an excerpt of the update I'll link to), and laugh.
Spoilers: it's because the Steam version is still in certification, and these things take time, while Apple were faster, to certify an Apple Arcade version that... was never previously mentioned.

Here it goes:

«Hello beautiful backer. First, thanks for your patience and your amazing support. I'm thrilled to announce that Neversong (formerly Once Upon A Coma) is in the final stages of its port to several large platforms, including Steam and some consoles! The Steam launch is incoming! Be on the look-out for an update!

I can't disclose which console platforms we are launching on at the moment though!(Please note, backers receive Steam keys, unless you purchased the Switch add-on, which was a temporary sale event in 2018). We're in a process called "cert", which basically means you finalize various aspects of your game to ensure your game abides by the various rules of each platform. Fortunately, one platform, Apple, actually passed us already, so we launched with them today! Figured I'd let you all know so you can play on your iOS with a free trial! It's actually super fun on iOS, and it's because of you guys. I'm grateful we were able to launch on Apple, because it means your support has resulted in millions of mobile players across the world being able to share in our little adventure :)

As you all know, every platform is different, and sometimes devs stagger launches because of various schedules and variables associated with each platform. That said, if you'd like to play Neversong on Apple Arcade, you can play with a free trial. Thanks Apple! »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80348891/once-upon-a-coma-from-the-creator-of-pinstripe/posts/2825399
This is complete nonsense, since the game was fully completed months ago and could have been released on Steam back then. Why doesn't the developer just admit they have a deal with Apple that forbids him to launch on other platforms earlier? This really pisses me off. Show some respect for your backers ffs. 😡

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
Maybe this, or maybe there's no way to estimate sales by looking at wishlist numbers at all and trying to can only lead to random results.

Apart from that, the dev looks aware of the situation : game not being that appalling, being overpriced, launched on the "wrong day", people wishlisting as a reminder for incoming big cut sales...
There could be many reasons (and reasons like the wrong day sound ridiculous to me), but the conclusion is the same: do not trust this formula.

The method used to obtain the formula was ridiculous in the first place (average over 14 games with vastly different wishlist conversion).

Also, it's 4th day after release, maybe it's too soon for conclusions about wishlist conversion ?
This, as well.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I mean, it's not simply "greedy", it's just capitalism. Clearly Square can afford to price them that high. FInal Fantasy is also arguably a lot more well-known than Homeworld, so a title in demand can stay at a high price for much longer. Look at GTA V, that thing was full price for near half a decade.
Which goes back to what I said: Final Fantasy XII is a great game
It is a great game, there's no question about it. I just think it doesn't deserve to come out of the gates priced as high as the likes of Witcher 3. You are right that it's capitalism, a product has the value a certain amount of people are ready to pay a given price for it. Still doesn't make it right or any less bullshit.

I'm not arguing the game has no value. I'm arguing the pricing is obscene and greedy for both its age and the effort expanded to update it.

I mean, I could argue that what you are saying is that FF has so much brand recognition that people will pay through the nose at a much higher price than they should :p.

Spookyfriend

Jan 27, 2019
This is complete nonsense, since the game was fully completed months ago and could have been released on Steam back then. Why doesn't the developer just admit they have a deal with Apple that forbids him to launch on other platforms earlier? This really pisses me off. Show some respect for your backers ffs. 😡
Worse part about this is I saw your post on the Steam Forum cheering that it is not a Epic Exclusive , (Well I think it is you because the username the same)
Now it is in a shop that you cannot even play if you dun have apple hardware.

When the dev want your money, they be like begging for your money in the kickstarter
Moment some publisher give them money , they be like fuck you , I got mine
Gonna BL such shitty dev, As far as I am concerned my money can be used to support other developer.

Ge0force

Excluding exclusives
Jan 12, 2019
Belgium
Zombie Army 4 is free on Stadia Pro, and Stadia Pro is free for two months.

As long as you keep it off Steam, I guess.
This game may have bombed hard on EGS. WWZ sold better every week according the charts, despite being over a year old and part of a giveaway.

But of course Rebellion doesn't care, since Epic is paying "through the nose" for exclusivity. 😉
Worse part about this is I saw your post on the Steam Forum cheering that it is not a Epic Exclusive ,
Now it is in a shop that you cannot even play if you dun have apple hardware.

When the dev want your money, they be like begging for your money in the kickstarter
Moment some publisher give them money , they be like fuck you , I got mine
Gonna BL such shitty dev, As far as I am concerned my money can be used to support other developer.
Can't agree more. I'll spend my money on other games as well.

Hektor

Autobahnraser
Nov 1, 2018
Someone said FFXII?

Balthier might be the leading man, but the Judges are those that make me squirm between my thighs

No, the power of manufactured nethicite is the power of man!
A weapon forged by his wisdom, who would challenge the gods themselfs!
A fitting blade for a true dynast king.
Raithwall did but petend the title, a cur begging nethicite scraps from his master's table...
HARK!
Ivalice hails her true dynast-king, Vayne Solidor!
He shall defy the will of the gods and see the reigns of histoy back in the hands of man!
HIS TIME IS NIGH!
The new Ivalice holds no place for the name Dalmasca...
The Stain of Wraithwalls shall be washed clean from history's weave

"It was i who wore Basch's face, who cut down the life of dalmasca.
Lady Ashe, your father's murderer is here!
I slew your king, i slew your country. Do these deeds not demand vengeance?
Yes, good! Find your wrath, take up your sword, fight, and serve those who died before you!"

"A Judge Magister there was...
Two years past, he took in his hand the midlight shard, stolen from Nabradia, and used it not knowing what he did, and Nabudis was blown away.
Cid ordered this from him, to learn the nethicites true power...
That man swore never to let such terrible power be used again, he forsook his judicers plate and his name.
It's been too long Gabranth.

Reach out your hand lady Ashe, but remember, that which you must grasp is soemthing beyond revenge, soemthing great than despair.
Something beyond our reach, try as we might Gabranth, history's chains bind us too tightly..."

"No, we can not escape our past, and this man is living proof of it! What is your past daughter of dalmasca? Did you not swear revenge? Do the dead not demand it?"

"Even with power, we can not change what has passed, what is done, is done"

"Yet without power what future can you claim? What good a kingdom you cannot defend?"

"Then i defend queen and kingdom both!"

"Hah! Defend? You? You, who failed both Landis and Dalmasca? What can shame hope to keep safe? Your shield is shattered! Your oaths poison those you would protect!"

FFXII (and Tactics) have some of the best written dialogue in videogames.
Oh boy, would it be great for Matsuno to make a new, big JRPG again. Or just any game really.

Deleted member 113

Edit - And yeah, I think it will be CDKeys only for me from now on. Issues have been super rare anywhere on my side, but they are not pleasant.
I prefer to buy from "official" retailers exactly because of that. :)
It's usually a hassle free experience, and if you have any problem, you know they will fix things for you.

I highly recommend that, when it's games that have pre-order bonuses, or time-limited DLCs, always make sure that they are listed at the store you order it from, and it's best to avoid these "grey area" websites in these cases altogether.

I've read plenty of cases of people missing out on pre-order DLCs, promotional DLCs, (...), exactly because the keys they got from those websites didn't include them.
And, if they aren't listed on the website, it's best to assume they aren't included.

Reactions: Li Kao

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
I assume an Apple Arcade deal would take time to set up, you'd have to apply or be selected by Apple. It's a sub service after all, can't just just put any old crap on there, they have to be selective and I imagine it is highly competitive.

Coma was on the list then went off the list and is now going back on the list.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Sorry for "bumping" my own post, but can anyone please help me out with the above?
If I, an European user, sent a Humble gift link to someone in India, would they be able to activate and run XCOM 2, with the situation described above?
They should, I think. If not, I assume the humble gift link can still be used by someone else.

Is XCOM 2 keys region locked?

Deleted member 113

I assume an Apple Arcade deal would take time to set up, you'd have to apply or be selected by Apple. It's a sub service after all, can't just just put any old crap on there, they have to be selective and I imagine it is highly competitive.
They delayed the game, for reasons they never explained, back in October.

To quote that announcement:

«I'm sad to say Once Upon A Coma's Halloween launch date has been officially moved. Trust me, it's for good reasons, reasons I can't fully get into just yet. When we get more information, I'll let you know ASAP! It's exciting times, but also quite stressful, so if you could keep me and Serenity Forge in your thoughts, and offer some motivating words, that would be great!

I promise I'll keep everyone posted. The game is complete, just FYI. It has nothing to do with completeness :)

Warmly,

Thomas»

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80348891/once-upon-a-coma-from-the-creator-of-pinstripe/posts/2647610

bobnowhere

Careful Icarus
Sep 20, 2018
They should, I think. If not, I assume the humble gift link can still be used by someone else.

Is XCOM 2 keys region locked?
Yes but only Russia and its old territories and I think South America. Humble will tell you the countries before you commit to generating a gift link.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
This isn't meant as an attack on you, but I couldn't disagree more :p.

A game that released in 2006 can't possibly be worth that much money in 2020. Sorry, I just see it as a really greedy price point from Square.
But it's not the same game, that's the thing.
Resolution not locked to 480i
Framerate a smooth 60 fps (or higher if you want to mod it), instead of wildly fluctuating sub-30 fps.
2 new soundtracks.
Major changes to all systems.
New (to US/EU folks) content.
Japanese dub.
Turbo mode.
Achievements, cards, cloud saves.
Might not be worth the money to you, but let's not pretend that Square just repacked a PS2 iso with a crappy emulator here.

Deleted member 113

Yes but only Russia and its old territories and I think South America. Humble will tell you the countries before you commit to generating a gift link.
One of them is India. The message before I generate the gift link says they "may" not be able to activate the key in India.

According to:

It seems there's more region locks than just Russia, and South America.

What I'm not understanding is, if it's a case that a key from India won't work in Europe, but the key from Europe will work in India, or if someone from India really needs to get a key from India, and can't get a "rest of the world" key.

Anyway, it doesn't matter now, since the idea was to split a bundle with someone from India, but that didn't work out. :)

Key nuked :sweaty-blob:
Did you nuke it yourself, with customer support, or was it the dealer you bought it from?

---

Anyway, still regarding that crowdfunded game, I was on twitter, and checked his account to see if he had the nerve of publicizing the Apple Arcade launch.
Well, it's an interesting twitter account for sure. I'm now more happy than ever to have given my money to this guy.
The first things I see:

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
Did you nuke it yourself, with customer support, or was it the dealer you bought it from?
Myself, unfortunately. The dealer is dragging its feets but should probably refund as I gave them the proofs they wanted.
My issue with the key was that I didn't know how it would handle probable new dlc, and there was always a risk of it being revoked due to being beta. All in all, as couldn't give it back anyways, I choose to clean the slate and hope for the best.
It feels bad to basically throw 32 euros away.

So back at square one, I plan to buy Dragon Marked for Death on Steam and maybe Streets of Rage 4 on Humble.
Strangely, I am far less enthusiastic now that my 32 euros have gone 'goodbye sweet prince' :cryblob:

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Deleted member 113

Myself, unfortunately. The dealer is dragging its feets but should probably refund as I gave them the proofs they wanted.
My issue with the key was that I didn't know how it would handle probable new dlc, and there was always a risk of it being revoked due to being beta. All in all, as couldn't give it back anyways, I choose to clean the slate and hope for the best.
It feels bad to basically throw 32 euros away.

So back at square one, I plan to buy Dragon Marked for Death on Steam and maybe Streets of Rage 4 on Humble.
Strangely, I am far less enthusiastic now that my 32 euros have gone 'goodbye sweet prince' :cryblob:
Sorry to hear it. :disappointed-face:

Hopefully, if you do get the game, it won't impact your enjoyment. :)

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
But it's not the same game, that's the thing.
Resolution not locked to 480i
Framerate a smooth 60 fps (or higher if you want to mod it), instead of wildly fluctuating sub-30 fps.
2 new soundtracks.
Major changes to all systems.
New (to US/EU folks) content.
Japanese dub.
Turbo mode.
Achievements, cards, cloud saves.
Might not be worth the money to you, but let's not pretend that Square just repacked a PS2 iso with a crappy emulator here.
To pick at these things in order :
Resolution not locked : emulators could do it, it's really not all that much work and a feature of most engines.
Higher frame : again, likewise unless the game was coded with really bad practices.
Sountracks : alright, I can get behind that one.
Changes to all systems : that was actually the 2007 international release if I recall.
New content : actually just old content that was never ported because fuck PC and fuck the west is Square's historical attitude.
Japanese dub : data that was already there.
Turbo mode : a good one, I'll grant you that.
Achievements : modern features that Steam provide.

To me it really is a job that a PS2 emulator could mostly do. All Square did was make data they withheld for nearly two decades available and slap a 50$ price tag on it.

I understand the love for these games but I can't see the price as defensible. The crux of the argument is that it was never available in the west before. Is that a good precent to set, rewarding Square for neglecting the west with paying their greedy premium? It's artificial scarcity. It's the old bullshit surrounding "previously unseen content"-editions of old works.

Put another way, imagine Crysis was never made available to the JP market and Crytek came out of the gate selling it at 50$ in 2020 with barely an improvement beside better textures, actually being able to run on the customer's system and data that they already had in 2007.

Do you think that price would be acceptable for the Japanese to pay?

Edit: Again, I don't mean to crap on FFXII. This is solely about the price point and Square's business practices. For a large part, the product is 2007's international version. And even so, even assuming gameplay improvements that were made solely for that PC edition and nowhere else, those aren't rationally worth that price.

Last edited:
Reactions: ISee and lashman

Deleted member 113

There's a "cheap" game I own, that's currently on sale, that has been progressing rather interestingly (yeah, the game is not listed as being in Early Access, but is only now content complete, and should be fully complete very, very soon).

This one:

I'm sure it's not for everyone, but the game does feature an interesting "vector" style, some nice puzzles, and exploration.

For the asking price, you can do a lot worse. ;)

BO7AMMOOD

Lucas isn't sure what to do anymore
Apr 18, 2019
Sorry for "bumping" my own post, but can anyone please help me out with the above?
If I, an European user, sent a Humble gift link to someone in India, would they be able to activate and run XCOM 2, with the situation described above?
I'm no expert on the matter but I'm guessing that it wouldn't activate since keys of 2K games are heavily region locked.
About my DMFD key...

It was pointed to me I was sold that

Instead of that

My question is, if I revoke this shit, will I be able to buy the regular version or will steam, as written in the support page, not give me another key (and I will be back with this beta thing) ?
Refund is one aspect of things, being locked to a bastard version is another.
I extremely doubt that you'd get locked to that bastard version if you repurchase it from Steam this time.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
To pick at these things in order :
Resolution not locked : emulators could do it, it's really not all that much work and a feature of most engines.
Higher frame : again, likewise unless the game was coded with really bad practices.
I mean, it was a Japanese game, of course it was coded with really bad practices.

Changes to all systems : that was actually the 2007 international release if I recall.
New content : actually just old content that was never ported because fuck PC and fuck the west is Square's historical attitude.
Japanese dub : data that was already there.
All of this was previously exclusive to Japan though, just because a fan patch exists that translated some of it to English, doesn't make it not count.

Put another way, imagine Crysis was never made available to the JP market and Crytek came out of the gate selling it at 50$ in 2020 with barely an improvement beside better textures, actually being able to run on the customer's system and data that they already had in 2007.

Do you think that price would be acceptable for the Japanese to pay?
They pay way, way, way more for lesser content there, so :shrugblob:

FF12TZA price point isn't a travesty. OG release date isn't an issue, a good game is a good game. I can pay for a decent game, or alternatively wait for discounts.
Oninaki price point is. Koei-Tecmo price points are. Sega not bringing Atlus games to all platform is.

Last edited:

Arsene

On a break
Apr 17, 2019
Canada
Anyway, still regarding that crowdfunded game, I was on twitter, and checked his account to see if he had the nerve of publicizing the Apple Arcade launch.
Well, it's an interesting twitter account for sure. I'm now more happy than ever to have given my money to this guy.
The first things I see:

“Lol this whole thing is overblown just reopen already” - Indie dev that works from home

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
All of this was previously exclusive to Japan though, just because a fan patch exists that translated some of it to English, doesn't make it not count.
I'm sorry but that's the crux of my argument. Exclusivity is artificial scarcity, it has no intrinsic value and adds none to the game. It's anti-consumer.

FF12TZA price point isn't a travesty. OG release date isn't an issue, a good game is a good game. I can pay for a decent game, or alternatively wait for discounts.
Oninaki price point is. Koei-Tecmo price points are. Sega not bringing Atlus games to all platform is.
I completely disagree. JP ports having insane price points is unacceptable to me, and a game being good does not divorce it from its time, lending it a given value. The release date matters, I'm not sure what the argument otherwise is. If writing was all there was to a game, planescape torment should still sell at 50$. That whole double standards Japanese games are held to is insane to me. Localization is a normal process that isn't made magical because the source language is moonrunes. Bad coding practices are bad coding practices, the cost of technical debt is the company's problem.

I don't want to harp on this topic any more, it's a beautifully rainy saturday and I think we've both made our points extensively enough. Besides, this is a friendly place and I feel bad for being so combative. I'll just say this much : FFXV complete edition is sold at 40 bucks, currently on sale at 20. It's a contemporary game, the same Final Fantasy brand that Square estimates is worth 10$ less than a 2007 PS2 game.

Last edited:

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
Which FF12 did you play?? Original version or revised and updated version which is the one we got on PC?
I played International Zodiac version with english patch on PCSX2. I also had the original on hardware PS2 in those days.

TheLetdown

A six-pack of letdown.
Oct 30, 2018
The federal government, through its bailout during the mortgage crisis, owns the majority of the country's mortgage-backed securities (MBSs). The $1200 COVID check was not combined with a rent or mortgage freeze by design, so the vast majority of those checks will go straight to rent and mortgage, which then prevents the devaluation of MBSs and ensures that the government can continue to sell them back to hedge funds managers and investors, who will continue to bilk an arbitrary market of all it is worth, on the backs of the working class.

It's not socialism by any stretch. It's the most explicit example of American corporatism you could imagine. You couldn't even fake a more clear picture than this.

FUCK, I hate idiots like that!!!

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I played FF12 on PCSX2. Worked great. I didn't see any reason to buy the PC version.
The gameplay improvements from the international version were never released in the west, the game has neat keyboard controls which I really loved, and with the better textures and fonts I can actually play it on a monitor without my eyes bleeding. So it has plenty of stuff over PCSX2
Also, I had never bought the PS2 version, so emulation isn't really an option. I'm assuming here you aren't advocating to pirate one of the best JRPGs of all time.
I would still recommend you to check the PC version out if you ever feel like revisiting the game. It's the definitive version of the game, as usual.

Wildebeet

First Stage Hero
Dec 5, 2018
The gameplay improvements from the international version were never released in the west, the game has neat keyboard controls which I really loved, and with the better textures and fonts I can actually play it on a monitor without my eyes bleeding. So it has plenty of stuff over PCSX2
Also, I had never bought the PS2 version, so emulation isn't really an option. I'm assuming here you aren't advocating to pirate one of the best JRPGs of all time.
Nah like I said above I bought FF12 at retail for PS2, played the english patched International version on PCSX2. So Square and I, we're square.

But that is interesting, I was mostly just wondering if there is any real difference between good PCSX2 settings and the steam edition. I had forgotten that International Zodiac was not internationally released.

Status
Not open for further replies.