Community MetaSteam | May 2020 - We May Or May Not Be Around In June!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
From my limited experience with multi platform gaming and mobile gaming, this is bullshit. PC (Steam) has no cert process, that's why updates or hotfix can be pushed earlier than console, example is Warframe where console update will take place weeks after PC. Apple cert is bullshit, a lot of mobile game (that has Android and iOS version) update or maintenance time were delayed because they couldn't pass Apple cert.

Not available on my region :blobclosecry:

How much is it?

No.

It flopped in Japan though.
I guess that change from SRPG to Action RPG was too much for Japan then?

You mean him?

Eww Haro... The wanabee R2-D2 (and also for what ever reason Sunrises version of the lamp from Pixar)

I'm playing Uncharted 3 and it sort of feels weird. Things just don't feel the same as 1 and 2. I'm guessing some of that has to do with it feeling more "dynamic" so certain actions will give you different feedback type of thing.

So far character wise, I like this game a lot more. In Uncharted 1 and 2 the characters were rather dull and I didn't really like them. Heck in the first 2 minutes I already hated the villain (which is a good thing because in the other 2 I really didn't care for those villains and it just felt meh). As for Drake I'm opening up a bit more to him. In Uncharted 2 he was decent overall but I am seeing a different sort of charisma here.

The camera is weird because it just feels strange but also just being able to "run" continuaslly feels kinda great.

Hey, here is this chase sequence and it feels natural. There were I think maybe 2 of these in Uncharted 2 that stood out to me but it just felt a lot better, that one part with the tank in Uncharted 2 sort of felt forced and a lot more scripted then it could have been.

Reactions: QFNS

Aaron D.

MetaMember
Jul 10, 2019

That feeling when a game you Wishlisted ages ago was -50% recently but you held strong.

Maybe because you were simply enjoying other titles.

Hell, Wishlisted titles go on sale all the time.

Then suddenly one of your fave personalities randomly highlights it and makes you want to push the Full Price button regardless.

Feels bad man.

Last edited:

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Harder than I expected to know if I want to pause humble choice or not, I really do want Sword of Ditto and Mo Astray but the others are such huge mehs for me, more than usually.

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I know y'all are bored as hell because you're wasting your brain cells and bandwidth talking about SEGA's PC support, when it has been shown that they are slow as hell and things release when they release.
Not to sound like I'm defending SEGA here, but I've seen this happen since the PS3 days; all it takes is one release and y'all are 'love love hug hug' SEGA.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
I literally just posted the same exact thing in my GOG OT but I figured I'd do it here too since it's kind of hilariously bad on Square Enix's part:

Just an FYI if you plan on buying DEUS Ex Mankind on GOG (Just got released also a hey Look what got released!)

It technically has DRM it's explained a bit in this reddit post, TL;DR:
Is that Square Enix is got super lazy and didn't remove the Steam DRM from the game so GOG had to essentially jerry rig the game to even function by rerouting all of that protocol functionality to call upon GOG Galaxy instead so it's at the moment requiring GOG Galaxy to be installed and an internet connection.
Hopefully it all gets sorted out soon but it's more on Square being uh... lazy

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
cabinetdechaologie.wordpress.com
yeah, i know, i know

i'm just clarifying that there is a "cert" process ... but it takes hardly any time, so it doesn't really matter anyway
According to a friend of mine who just launched on Steam, these days it may takes longer than usual to get the cert. It's usually 3 to 5 days but with the pandemic it sometimes takes longer.

He just posted a very long rant about how fucked up it is to upload a game on Steam (outdated and not fully translated doc with errors in it about taxes that had tax repercussions for himself, requirements for the video, the screenshots that requires Photoshop format, the difficulty to put up a demo version...).

I don't know if it's because he's not good at it or if it is really a pain in the ass...

Reactions: lashman

ISee

Oh_no!
Mar 1, 2019
I literally just posted the same exact thing in my GOG OT but I figured I'd do it here too since it's kind of hilariously bad on Square Enix's part:

Just an FYI if you plan on buying DEUS Ex Mankind on GOG (Just got released also a hey Look what got released!)

It technically has DRM it's explained a bit in this reddit post, TL;DR:
Is that Square Enix is got super lazy and didn't remove the Steam DRM from the game so GOG had to essentially jerry rig the game to even function by rerouting all of that protocol functionality to call upon GOG Galaxy instead so it's at the moment requiring GOG Galaxy to be installed and an internet connection.
Hopefully it all gets sorted out soon but it's more on Square being uh... lazy

That's a bad decision. Not just from Square, but also from GOG.
DRM free is what sets them apart and attracts people. If this opens the door for more games with DRM I'm out.

BlackRainbowFT

Mouse Accelerated Member
Apr 17, 2019
Switzerland
I'm enjoying Swords of Ditto quite a bit. I hope I didn't jinx it. The first 2 hours have been fun.
Me too !

It reminds me a bit of Ittle Dew. And it's so pretty to look at.

Admittedly I haven't played much but, seeing the mixed reception it got, I thought I'd rate it a meh/10. I'm happy to report that it's definitely above a meager meh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nabs

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
On a different subject, if there's french speakers here, here's an interview of the historic consultant for Assassin's Creed Valhalla Hugo Orain, by french researcher and teacher about History and Video Games named Romain Vincent and videogame art curator for art galleries Marine Macq.

Maybe it's watchable with automatic subtitles for non-french speakers.

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
DRM free is what sets them apart and attracts people. If this opens the door for more games with DRM I'm out.
Yeah
I think it was an accident?
Going through the GOG official forums it seems like it might just be the DLC that is causing an issue and not the actual game but that's still kind of stupid either way that it wasn't caught

Rando10123

Sep 15, 2019
I know y'all are bored as hell because you're wasting your brain cells and bandwidth talking about SEGA's PC support, when it has been shown that they are slow as hell and things release when they release.
Not to sound like I'm defending SEGA here, but I've seen this happen since the PS3 days; all it takes is one release and y'all are 'love love hug hug' SEGA.
I assumed Y0 success and Valkryia 4/Sonic Mania releasing day 1 on all platforms would've changed how they operate with PC but I guess not

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Once Punched Man
Apr 22, 2019
PC is definitely important platform for Sega, it's just that their Japanese output doesn't play a significant role in this, Total War and Football Manager, on the other hand, are probably in top 5 of current moneymakers for the company.

But yeah, I'd like to see the rest of Yakuza and Judgement (no doubt it's going to happen, eventually) rather sooner than later.

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
Please be patient with SEGA, so far their support has been great and I don't think we have any reason to doubt them in terms of what they are going to bring in, they are slow, sure, but yeah, things will come. About the release day-and-date, yes, I'M VERY DISAPPOINTED that they still haven't changed their schemes to make this possible, I guess between double dipping and testing it is not possible.

Their economical results on PC have been good enough time over time to greenlight any future PC port, Yakuza 0 has over 1.9M active users (owners?), Vanquish almost 700k, Bayonetta over 1.4M, and it keeps going.

I guess things are also a bit on the freeze due to covid :(

ANYWAY!!!!

SAKURA WARS ON PC WHEN?!?!?!?

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018
For Yakuza and Judgement it's not if, but when. I feel Sega may treat them more as standalone releases on PC as they're reaching audiences on there for the first time, rather than the way they did Yakuza Remastered Collection on PS4.

For pie in the sky requests, I hope we get more Atlus games from Sega. Not making any specific requests but I feel Catherine Classic did well enough to get more games greenlit.

Though I get these things do take time. Sega has a rich legacy of games going back decades, and in recent memory they've done a good job of ensuring their Japanese PC releases are good. That hasn't always been the case. Good ports require the right partner studio and time. Plus Sega clearly doesn't want to release games too close to each other.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
According to a friend of mine who just launched on Steam, these days it may takes longer than usual to get the cert. It's usually 3 to 5 days but with the pandemic it sometimes takes longer.

He just posted a very long rant about how fucked up it is to upload a game on Steam (outdated and not fully translated doc with errors in it about taxes that had tax repercussions for himself, requirements for the video, the screenshots that requires Photoshop format, the difficulty to put up a demo version...).

I don't know if it's because he's not good at it or if it is really a pain in the ass...
Has your friend released a game on any other platforms or stores in the past?

I could see stuff not being fully translated being (Valve is an American company and doesn't have European or Asian offices. English would be the primary language and everything else would be secondary. And if there were mistakes it would take a while to change those language mistakes).

So normally when a game has a publisher is the publisher the one that worries about this stuff? Especially on consoles where all of this would be taken care of by the publisher and then they would just mention if there were any issues and stuff like that?

But at least it becomes more easier down the line no?

Documentation in general seems to be peoples biggest complaint with Valve (Steam works stuff can be very hard to understand at first). The only upside to it all is that in general there is not a lot of paperwork to sign and stuff like that for features that you make use of

Reactions: lashman and Ruvon

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Good ports require the right partner studio and time. Plus Sega clearly doesn't want to release games too close to each other.
This too, SEGA partners with tons of studios and some are in different countries, if managing them in normal circumstances is quite a challenge just imagine managing them in the middle of a pandemic and with imposed lock-downs (which BTW I agree with, safety first always)

2020 is with no doubts a very bad year for everything and gaming is not the exception, it's a pain in the ass for sure.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018

The first thing is true, it might take some additional time now due to the homeworking system they have at Valve, remember that they are in Bellevue and Washington was one of the most strict states in terms of quarantine.

About the outdated dev panels, it's a bit complicated because some parts are newer than others so yes, it's true that some feel old while others feel new and fresh, about the formats, pics now can (theoretically) be uploaded in normal formats however, it might require the source for some reason, and yes, can confirm that in some languages the panels are not fully translated (I don't know you language so I'm not sure how good or bad your launcher's translation is)

Madventure

The Angel of Deaf
Nov 17, 2018
All I have to really say about that game from looking at it for about 30 seconds on steam is "Oh it's a platformer"
Then I felt kind of bad when I saw how much effort was put into trying to figure out their numbers and everything else

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
Has your friend released a game on any other platforms or stores in the past?

I could see stuff not being fully translated being (Valve is an American company and doesn't have European or Asian offices. English would be the primary language and everything else would be secondary. And if there were mistakes it would take a while to change those language mistakes).

So normally when a game has a publisher is the publisher the one that worries about this stuff? Especially on consoles where all of this would be taken care of by the publisher and then they would just mention if there were any issues and stuff like that?

But at least it becomes more easier down the line no?

Documentation in general seems to be peoples biggest complaint with Valve (Steam works stuff can be very hard to understand at first). The only upside to it all is that in general there is not a lot of paperwork to sign and stuff like that for features that you make use of
He had released on Itch.io and said it only takes 1h top to make a nice page.

Good question about publishers, I guess that's their job, yeah. But if documentation is the issue here, that would be something they can easily improve for at least provide up to date information.

He launched a Kickstarter promising Steam keys so that's why he struggled to release on Steam but said that without this he would never have bothered otherwise and launched his game on every other platform but not Steam and that's a shame they take 30% for this shitty service.

I restrained myself to tell him that he could release on Itch.io, sure, but nowhere else (I know his game, never would have made it on GoG or EGS) and since it's a multiplayer game, good luck to setup the multi on other platforms...

The first thing is true, it might take some additional time now due to the homeworking system they have at Valve, remember that they are in Bellevue and Washington was one of the most strict states in terms of quarantine.

About the outdated dev panels, it's a bit complicated because some parts are newer than others so yes, it's true that some feel old while others feel new and fresh, about the formats, pics now can (theoretically) be uploaded in normal formats however, it might require the source for some reason, and yes, can confirm that in some languages the panels are not fully translated (I don't know you language so I'm not sure how good or bad your launcher's translation is)
He's French, looks like the doc is not translated correctly. But when I look at his rant, I guess there's a lot of frustration making him see these problems bigger they may be, I don't know.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Reddit post :p
yeah, outlook not so good, as we have seen in multiple cases wishlists are a very variable metric because it all depends on how people use it, some will just add games that they are going to buy day and date while others (like me) use it for multiple purposes and not merely to control the price. It's also bad luck to release it at the same time or very close to the current sales (Golden week, Assassins Creed, etc...) as if you go to the top sellers, you will see only high profile games at this very moment.

This is truly a jungle.

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
He's French, looks like the doc is not translated correctly. But when I look at his rant, I guess there's a lot of frustration making him see these problems bigger they may be, I don't know.
Oh, that's weird, one would think that French would be fully translated as it represents not just France but all French speaking territories.

He had released on Itch.io and said it only takes 1h top to make a nice page.

Good question about publishers, I guess that's their job, yeah. But if documentation is the issue here, that would be something they can easily improve for at least provide up to date information.

He launched a Kickstarter promising Steam keys so that's why he struggled to release on Steam but said that without this he would never have bothered otherwise and launched his game on every other platform but not Steam and that's a shame they take 30% for this shitty service.

I restrained myself to tell him that he could release on Itch.io, sure, but nowhere else (I know his game, never would have made it on GoG or EGS) and since it's a multiplayer game, good luck to setup the multi on other platforms...
Awww, it's sad that your friend's experience was not a pleasant one :(
I can't do that much to help him I can only give you a piece of advice, he should note everything that lacks or fails about the dev options panel and send the feedback directly to Valve peeps, seriously, they listen a lot and appreciate the feedback to improve it, I have been very active with them in terms of design and they are very supportive.

kafiend

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
All I have to really say about that game from looking at it for about 30 seconds on steam is "Oh it's a platformer"
Then I felt kind of bad when I saw how much effort was put into trying to figure out their numbers and everything else
I looked and saw what it was, have zero interest in it and the genre it sits in, but sure felt bad about how poorly it launched for people who tried hard. :(

Tizoc

Retired, but still Enabling
Oct 11, 2018
Oman
ko-fi.com
I assumed Y0 success and Valkryia 4/Sonic Mania releasing day 1 on all platforms would've changed how they operate with PC but I guess not
It's been agreed that SEGA JP is run by kuso jijis.
Just wait it out and you will eventually indulge in the SEGA gaming goodness.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
So I just played that WarriOrb prologue that the devs had 16k wishlists, but sold badly.

I didn't even know about the game and I really enjoy platformers.

The game is super mediocre imo. Slow paced and uninteresting.

When you have tons of other better platformers out there like Ori, Hollow Knight, Impossible Lair, A Hat in Time and other I can't remember right now then yes you might have a difficulty selling it, it's also 15$. Should have been like 5-7$ if the prologue says anything about the full game.

And very importantly, due to the amount of good and great games released these days, devs/pubs aren't really competing for my money, but for my time. Why use a bunch of hours of my free time to play a somewhat mediocre platformer when there's hundres of better games waiting for me to play them that are more worthy of my time?

I have learned to use my free time to play the games I really enjoy playing, I mean, anyone can die anytime so why use my free time on something that I found mediocre?

Last edited:
OP
lashman

lashman

Dead & Forgotten
Sep 5, 2018
Zombie Army 4 is free on Stadia Pro, and Stadia Pro is free for two months.

As long as you keep it off Steam, I guess.
that's all Tim ever wanted in the first place

#TeamFirefox

it's a bit of both really :p i have access to the steamworks panel and it's all pretty straightforward in there (in English at least) ... but also volvo have a very specific way of doing some things, so i imagine it's a little bit of that as well :p

Reactions: PhaZZe and ISee

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
FFXII, a game that is nearly 20 years old, has no right being sold over 20$ in my opinion. Also it's overall a -43%, why in the world is it displayed as 72%?
Nah, it's by far the best Final Fantasy game, and on Steam you are getting the definitive version of that game. The remaster looks quite stunning at times, too. Worth every cent!
The only thing that could make it better would be DLC t hat completely cuts out the intro with Vaan, makes him into some NPC or whatever and focuses on the real leading man.

Wok

Wok
Oct 30, 2018
France
- Over 16k Wishlists, we were listed in Popular Upcoming

[...]

We tried to estimate our first week sales based on the numbers provided by Jake Birkett (link).

[...]

The [...] WL conversion [...] for the first week [...] seems to be around 1.1% for us. We sold 357 copies so far, and 178 of that came from the wishlists.
Jarke Brikett in the article said:
I’ve plotted the results from 14 games that had regular or early access Steam launches and the results are at the top of the page. You can see that there’s quite a large range. The average is 10.5% and the median is about 6.9%.
Jarke Brikett on Reddit today said:
Our own pre-launch wishlist to week1 sales rate was 0.47x which is close to my formula. But our last game got 1.0x.
Jarke Brikett on Patreon today said:
Your pre-launch wishlists do NOT convert at 50%. What happens is they convert at about 10% (on average) and then you get 4x that amount of organic sales. This = 0.5 sales per wishlist.
It sounds like the method to estimate sales is off.

Last edited:

beep boop

MetaMember
Dec 6, 2018
Nah, it's by far the best Final Fantasy game, and on Steam you are getting the definitive version of that game. The remaster looks quite stunning at times, too. Worth every cent!
The only thing that could make it better would be DLC t hat completely cuts out the intro with Vaan, makes him into some NPC or whatever and focuses on the real leading man.
Balthier? Oh, yeah. :)

Agreed though. It's a great game and a great port. Somewhat pricy but it only came out like a year ago, so understandable if you ask me.
That bundle would've been even better value if they didn't put Oninaki in there for some reason. If you take that out of the equation, it comes out at about the same price as if you'd buy the games separately.

Reactions: PC-tan

madjoki

👀 I see you
Sep 19, 2018
well technically there is ... but they only really check if your game:
  • works
  • actually is what is being presented on the store page
  • doesn't have any malware etc.
and that's about it ... takes like a day
  • doesn't have underage looking anime characters.
"GOG had to add a platform bridge called Ghost to the game. It's a wrapper that translates the Steam calls and redirects them to GOG Galaxy so the DLC get unlocked. "

Sounds like restriction was actually made by GoG and not Square.

Reactions: ISee and lashman

Ruvon

Chaotic writer
May 15, 2019
France
It sounds like the method to estimate sales is off.
Maybe this, or maybe there's no way to estimate sales by looking at wishlist numbers at all and trying to can only lead to random results.

Apart from that, the dev looks aware of the situation : game not being that appalling, being overpriced, launched on the "wrong day", people wishlisting as a reminder for incoming big cut sales...

Also, it's 4th day after release, maybe it's too soon for conclusions about wishlist conversion ?

Reactions: Milena and lashman

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018
Played about 10 min of Zombie Army 4 on Stadia and...ugh. Graphics and design is nice, but the gameplay is janky and frustrating and I don't like it. I found it worse than Zombie Army 1 which I liked (haven't played 2 yet).

At least I didn't use a single cent to play it. And it can't be Stadia that makes it worse as the other free games I have played there works well.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

Deleted member 113

Guys, may I ask a question regarding the new Humble Choice bundle.
I bought the bundle, and I'm located in Europe.
I'm trying to send a copy of XCOM 2 to someone from India. I got a message saying the game may not activate there.

Checking:

From what I'm reading, I assume since my purchase was done in Europe, I'll get a key for this app:

Will it work for him.
If I'm reading the information above from steamgifts correctly, the problem would be if someone from India bought the bundle (which would get him a key region-locked to India), and he tried to send it to someone else. And, my key (from Europe) should work fine in India.

Is this correct?
Or, he won't be able to activate my key, and will only be able to activate a key from India?

thank you. :)
Sorry for "bumping" my own post, but can anyone please help me out with the above?
If I, an European user, sent a Humble gift link to someone in India, would they be able to activate and run XCOM 2, with the situation described above?

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
About my DMFD key...

It was pointed to me I was sold that

Instead of that

My question is, if I revoke this shit, will I be able to buy the regular version or will steam, as written in the support page, not give me another key (and I will be back with this beta thing) ?
Refund is one aspect of things, being locked to a bastard version is another.

Reactions: Deleted member 113

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
This isn't meant as an attack on you, but I couldn't disagree more :p.

A game that released in 2006 can't possibly be worth that much money in 2020. Sorry, I just see it as a really greedy price point from Square. I don't dispute it's a good game but other games from that era are reasonably priced for their age. Crysis is ten bucks. Even the travesty that was bioshock remastered is twenty dollars. What kind of remaster treatment makes FFXII worth US$50? Even US$25 is pushing it given what I understand they did.

Games that old are way, way behind the curve of contemporary releases. It is really insane to me that publishers think they deserve to price them at the same point as their release, nearly two decades ago, when they did barely fuck all to make them more current. The engine is still the same and HD textures aren't exactly all that hard when the models themselves didn't see any upgrade. The gameplay update dates from 2007. This port was all things considered rather routine, so what kind of value did they provide that justifies that price premium?

To put things into perspective, Homeworld was remade and sold at about US$35 after a drastic Homeworld 2 engine upgrade and porting of HW1 into it, a complete remodel and retexture of every asset, sounds either remade or upgraded to their uncompressed versions, animatics redrawn entirely and a large part of re-recorded voice-overs. The game was supported and received significant balance patches including a complete rework of ballistics and tactics for two years. Then there was the reworked multiplayer. And that was two games, Homeworld 1 and 2 bundled together.

It's still 15US$ less than what Square wants to ask for Zodiac Age.

Again, this isn't against you but I just find this really, really greedy which is on par for the course with Square. The fact that a game is beloved and good doesn't make the devaluation of its age any less real. It's just artificial scarcity because they couldn't be bothered to give a damn about PC and port it before the remaster boom made them see the low-hanging fruit.

Deleted member 113

Refund is one aspect of things, being locked to a bastard version is another.
I doubt you would be "locked" with a "bastard" version.
I'm sure someone else may chime in, but if you revoke the game, it's gone from your account.

And, by buying the game on Steam, you will get the correct app + the DLC (the current purchase is kind of a bundle, that includes both the game and DLC).

Li Kao

It’s a strange world. Let’s keep it that way.
Jan 28, 2019
I doubt you would be "locked" with a "bastard" version.
I'm sure someone else may chime in, but if you revoke the game, it's gone from your account.

And, by buying the game on Steam, you will get the correct app + the DLC (the current purchase is kind of a bundle, that includes both the game and DLC).
Maybe the line about not being allocated a new cd key in case of a repurchase is for people trying to wiggle out of a ban.
I want to wiggle out of an incorrect package :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Edit - And yeah, I think it will be CDKeys only for me from now on. Issues have been super rare anywhere on my side, but they are not pleasant.

Reactions: Deleted member 113
Status
Not open for further replies.