Community MetaSteam | May 2021 - Wallets Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020

The documents also reveal that Microsoft had been planning to adopt this lower store rate on the PC side with an important caveat. “There is a proposal currently under Gaming Leadership Team consideration to adopt 88 / 12 as a public PC games revenue share for all games in exchange for the grant of streaming rights to Microsoft,” reveals the document. We asked Microsoft whether this proposal went ahead, but the company refused to comment in time for publication. Microsoft is planning to cut its share of revenue for PC games to 12 percent in August, but it’s not clear if the streaming rights clause is still included.

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I don't think Xcloud and Mixer are comparable at all. Mixer was a tech startup without a working business model that just didn't turn a profit even after MS bought them. Xcloud is just part of the Gamepass ecosystem and has a clear cost to it from the get-go.
Ah, that kind of streaming! Either way I think that those sort of deals are not really the same as lowering the cut and I'd argue even worse given that it spells doom for "neutral" streaming platforms offering a full VM for instance.

It's actually much worse, come to think of it. I hate how virtualized hardware is being put in the same category as "streaming", it's horribly vague.

Reactions: Durante and lashman

Mor

Me llamo Willy y no hice la mili, pero vendo Chili
Sep 7, 2018
I already have a pretty clear picture of today's top 10 chart (in terms of what's inside) but with the sale and the one is missing, I don't know what positions do they take :crying-face:

Games in: Nier Replicant, Automata, It Takes Two, VR Index, CS:GO, Rome total war remastered, Death Stranding, Valheim and Resident evil village.

One left, no positions yet :blobclosecry:
I guess I was right except for PUBG (which I didn't know it was on sale)

Quite a few weeks doing this so I know more or less how to read the data even tho not always I know the positions ^^

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Oh wow. This is a big deal.

I have two monitors: an older one (connected via HDMI) and a newer one which is G-Sync compatible (via DisplayPort). Whenever I turn it off I have all sorts of problems with icons and windows getting moved around or even the second monitor turning itself on (since Windows thinks that only the HDMI monitor is connected and that it should become the primary display).

I even decided to give up on VRR just so that I could use HDMI instead of DisplayPort.
From that article it sounds like they are fixing the most common symptom but not he disease. I run into the same issue from time to time, but when I disable/enable monitors briefly, not when my PC goes to sleep. I wish I could just tell Windows to ignore what happens to my monitors and keep my window layout as-is unless I specifically request otherwise.

Reactions: BlackRainbowFT

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019
...wait
Prey 2 was gonna feature a generic ass balding white dudebro?
Canceling it was for the best...
It was a late 2000s game, it was required by law to have a bald white marine as the protag

This

Returnal Norway PSN price and standard retail price is 859 nok.

Atm, 859 nok is 103$.
Can't wait till 70 USD games start hitting PC and I get to see what hell regional pricing looks like

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Microsoft makes like 50$ billion every year in pure profit so ofc this shit is meaningless to them. They can lower the cut to like 1% and it wouldn't effect their bottom line. Gamepass will be their largest earner in the future anyways.

Its funny how so many want the cut lowered but at this point if someone like Valve or Sony lowered the cut to 12% they would kill off almost all the immediate competition. No developer will ever give a shit about GOG, Epic or Itch again in any way if Steam provides that type of profit margin with its audience. Competition would actually be dead.

MetaMember
Oct 20, 2018
Steam lowering its cut to 12 percent will kill every third-party key selling site as well. Even if Valve keep free key generation, third-party sellers will basically be forced to also reduce their cut to 12%. With just a 12% cut, they can't really offer discounts out of their own pockets and nobody will have any reason to buy from them.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lowering cut only benefits developers and publishers. Ok that is fine for the indie developers but that won't remove or prevent AAA publishers to ask for even more money and add more ways to take money from users. Ubisoft is selling their games on 2 stores with 12%*Epic Store) and 5-7% cut (Ubisoft Store) and not only their prices stayed the same but their MTX became worse, their games became buggier and free content for their GAAS games became worse. Same happened with Activision and same will happen with any big publisher. Hell even mid range ones will probably do the same. There is no path with lower cut that will make things better for customers and sad thing is that customers refuse to acknowledge that. We are living in era with record profits for companies and customers get nothing in return except more MTX and worse experiences.

On the bright side i did 45min workout in VR today and i liked it a lot. I will try to make it my daily routine from now on.

Xclash

MetaMember
Dec 13, 2018
I would have just given up video gaming if I had to pay those prices.

Someone posted an inflation calculator in defense of the pricing. Spoiler to you youngins: we rented games back then.
Absolutely, used to rent from the local video store for a $1 to $2 a day for SNES games in between purchases.

Reactions: Nabs

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I picked up Pokemon Snap but have not opened it yet. From what I have heard for $60 it's not worth the price of admission. Since it's pretty much just Pokemon Snap 64 with just more pretty visuals and some new pokemon.

Now that I myself have gotten Into photography (I'm a amateur, or how some of you from France say it) and being on a on rails things may just be a no go for me.

Thoughts? I have never really played the original Pokemon snap other than this 1 time only back in 2002 or so and I have not played it/been exposed to it since.

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
I would have just given up video gaming if I had to pay those prices.

Someone posted an inflation calculator in defense of the pricing. Spoiler to you youngins: we rented games back then.
I still rent games today. I can wait a few days for Returnal to arrive in the mail.

Microsoft makes like 50$ billion every year in pure profit so ofc this shit is meaningless to them. They can lower the cut to like 1% and it wouldn't effect their bottom line. Gamepass will be their largest earner in the future anyways.

Its funny how so many want the cut lowered but at this point if someone like Valve or Sony lowered the cut to 12% they would kill off almost all the immediate competition. No developer will ever give a shit about GOG, Epic or Itch again in any way if Steam provides that type of profit margin with its audience. Competition would actually be dead.
Yeah the race to the bottom will have a lot of ripple effects that are probably not for the best. Is 30% too high? Maybe, but instantly going to the lowest fee possible isn't going to benefit customers and will only marginally benefit most developers. The only winners will be the Microsofts, Epics and EAs of the world.

Kal1m3r0

MetaMember
Jan 9, 2021
I've tried the Village demo and boy am I disappointed
I'm quite the fan of RE4 and if you say you're taking great inspiration from it my bar goes high, so I do expect to see certain elements done well. From what I've played: basically no horror nor tension, enemies do not respond accordingly to the body parts you shoot, the enviroment looks good but you can't even destroy bottles and windows (and you see A LOT of things that look breakable but are intangible, ruining muh immersion) and even audio effects sound kinda lame compared to say Resident Evil 2 Remake.
Even though I still hope to be wrong with the final game being better, I'm glad I played the demo to avoid another shallow D1, cause Cyberpunk is still burning

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao and lashman

Shahem

R7 7800X3D I RTX 4080
Jan 26, 2020
France
I fail to see why I should pay €10 more for Microsofts games on pc than for the games of every other publisher. FH4 doesn't have more content than similar games from other publishers.
It's miles better than anything available anywhere. The raw quality of the game 100% justifies its price for me.
I have put well over 150 hours and I still play it.

Value is of course subjective.

Reactions: Tomasety and yuraya

Swenhir

Spaceships!
Apr 18, 2019
I fail to see why I should pay €10 more for Microsofts games on pc than for the games of every other publisher. FH4 doesn't have more content than similar games from other publishers.
I'd add to that that judging how much "content" justifies which price is a bit of a slippery slope because you just know publishers will automatically go for the maximum possible anyway. 60$ is and should be a hard cap, period.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
It's miles better than anything available anywhere. The raw quality of the game 100% justifies its price for me.
I have put well over 150 hours and I still play it.

Value is of course subjective.
Bang for buck is important.

If a game I have interest in has 50+ hrs of content then I am completely okay with paying 40-60$ for it.

If it doesn't then 20$ and under is basically a rule. And there are some genres I would never pay more than 20$ for regardless.

Its why PC gaming is so good. There is so many indie and low budget gems you can pick up for 20$ which have hundreds of hours of content.

Just last year I picked up Spelunky 2 for 17$ at launch and spend 160hrs in it. That type of value is incredible. And look I'm sure Returnal is very good. In fact reviews say it is. But 70$ roguelike better overachieve in a lot of ways when games like Spelunky 2 exist. And not to pin games against one another too much....but Spelunky 2 also has higher metacritic than Returnal :sneaky:

Valdien

✵ Chaos! ✵
Mar 26, 2020
Toronto
Just played the RE Village demo. Loved it, and looking forward to the full game even more now :D

I just hope they fix the camera sensitivity being too low and the FOV being too low as well.
Regarding the Camera Sensitivity, there are 3 values that you can adjust that affect it in the demo. Movement Camera + Aiming Camera + Mouse Sensitivity. The first two options max out at 40, and Mouse Sensitivity maxes out at 9. I'd recommend that you max out mouse sensitivity first, then adjust the other two accordingly.

Reactions: LEANIJA and lashman

Snakethesniper

Time Traveler
Jan 11, 2019
You know about Super Robot Wars V and X that are on steam but only for asia? I've read somewhere that with the current japan sale they're like the cheaper they ever been on any platform.
The alternative is to buy a region free copy on the switch and holy shit those prices, like 84€ on playasia

• Sad
Reactions: Li Kao and Tomasety

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
You know about Super Robot Wars V and X that are on steam but only for asia? I've read somewhere that with the current japan sale they're like the cheaper they ever been on any platform.
The alternative is to buy a region free copy on the switch and holy shit those prices, like 84€ on playasia
NO, I NEVER HEARD ABOUT IT, NO NO, NEGATIVE, NUNCA.

thistestnow

*doom noises*
Feb 16, 2021
Dark souls 3 peeps
Hit me.up with ur suggested faith lightning builds for a 1st time player
Wait till NG+ because faith builds are trash early on if you actually want to use miracle, and not just lightning buff your weapon..

Reactions: QFNS

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
Steam lowering its cut to 12 percent will kill every third-party key selling site as well. Even if Valve keep free key generation, third-party sellers will basically be forced to also reduce their cut to 12%. With just a 12% cut, they can't really offer discounts out of their own pockets and nobody will have any reason to buy from them.
Yeah, it would almost certainly kill GMG, CDKeys, the Humble store etc.
I don't see how they could maintain a viable business model.
And since basically no publisher would actually decrease the market prices of games due to the smaller cut that means more expensive games in practice (if you use third party sites).

That said, I think Valve would probably operate at a loss at 12%, so it's exceedingly unlikely to happen.

texhnolyze

Child at heart
Oct 19, 2018
Indonesia
Thanks for the reminder. I kinda missed when I scrolled through my whistlist at the start of Golden Week sale. It's indeed the cheapest it's ever been. I just bought SRW X, been waiting for this. :fashionblob:

Mor

Sep 7, 2018
Thanks for the reminder. I kinda missed when I scrolled through my whistlist at the start of Golden Week sale. It's indeed the cheapest it's ever been. I just bought SRW X, been waiting for this. :fashionblob:
I SWEAR!

this is the only reason why I want to learn how to shift my account to Japan, in order to get 3 region-locked games :crying-face:

Status
Not open for further replies.