Community MetaSteam | May 2022 - May Comes Kicking Like a Kangaroo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomasety

MetaEyesMember
Jun 8, 2020
Possible glitch??

UNDUNGEON - 90% - €1.67 (save up to 0.33€ with Choice)

It's a tinybuild game so it will be bundled sooner or later but kind of strange that Humble is selling it at a 90% discount off while it looks like it has never been discounted more than 30% on the rest of stores.

Also, it's on GamePass for those who have access to it and all I know, a Curator I follow (Rock Paper Shotgun) doesn't recommend it.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
That actually seems like a valid complaint, but was Steam a thing in some form back in 2001? What did Valve use until Steam came to be?
Announcement and beta in 2002, release in September 2003, but it wasn't until 2005 that Steam got it's first publisher partnership, and it was only in the late 2000s/early 2010s that Steam truly started to takeoff.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
My current Steam Deck Library XD Everything n there works great so far.

I also have RPCS3 installed and Sly Cooper Collection and damn Sly Cooper looks amazing on Deck . I must say that so far Deck impressed me more than i thought it will. I guess my expectations were low XD

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Played and finished Portal 1 on Deck, just perfect title for it. Now continuing towards Portal 2.
Hmm, PoP would be also great.. let's install and see :)
PoP needs Wide Screen Fix (you have one on PCGamingWiki) and gamepad support is kinda bad but Deck default template is serviceable. There are no button icons in game, everything is Mouse&Keyboard related, so you will need to get used to controls.

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
That actually seems like a valid complaint, but was Steam a thing in some form back in 2001? What did Valve use until Steam came to be?
It's a good complaint if Valve was a real monopoly in digital gaming, which it is not and like this entire lawsuit, it feels completely disconnected from the reality that US law has long since moved away from the idea of making sure companies don't have an overwhelming market share. Amazon in the US is surely already bigger in its respective field (ecommerce) than Standard Oil was in the trade of oil and other fossil fuels in the late 19th century. Antitrust law in the US has moved to the position of wanting to protect consumer pricing from monopoly rents. (which, for what it's worth, I think is deeply flawed thinking and really dumb, but that's another discussion)
So Wolfire would have to argue that Steam has raised prices for digital gaming and arguments about what Valve was doing 20 years ago, and years before Steam even launched, seem completely off topic.

Last edited:

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Valve really needs to implement a easier way of replacing cover art for games where devs either can't or can't be arsed to provide the new format.
They look especially hideous on Deck and there's no way to change them in the Game mode.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Valve really needs to implement a easier way of replacing cover art for games where devs either can't or can't be arsed to provide the new format.
They look especially hideous on Deck and there's no way to change them in the Game mode.
I just copied my grid folder from PC to Deck XD

• Eyes
Reactions: Tomasety

Dinjoralo

None shall remember those who do not fight.
Dec 6, 2018

Microsoft just released their Big Picture competitor.

Seriously, why would you add a tiny bar for recent games, called the "Controller Bar" that by default gets summoned when you plug in a controller, to the Game Bar, an overlay that only just barely works on controller? Shit's just not useful.

gabbo

MetaMember
Dec 22, 2018
Toronto
What was this complaint about again? Before Steam, Valve used an updater/individual files for patching and WON for multiplayer - at least from my recollection of HL1.

Steam wasn't a thing at all, publicly, in 2001 or prior. Really, before HL2's launch, most gamers probably didn't know it existed

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
I was looking through the folders for PC Gamepass games and I noticed this;

This "gamelaunchhelper" is something in the root of every PC Gamepass game's directory, and I'm pretty sure it's this little launcher window they added a while back;

So the Xbox app is a bunch of hacky bullshit held together with duct-tape so the developers at Microsoft can keep enjoying the pain of working with the Windows Store's infrastructure, what else is new?

Now don't get excited, this only technically works. Yes, you can launch Gamepass games through Steam now. But you won't get the overlay or any of the features that come with it, presumably because the underlying EXE is still locked down with permissions. This means no remote play with controller.

You also can't add this to something like mouse drivers for per-game bindings, since they'd only apply to the little launcher window that goes away after a few seconds. But you can add the gamelaunchhelper to Nividia's Gamestream thing, to remote play them through Moonlight. But you were always able to play Windows Store games through that, all this adds is the convenience of not needing a way to move the mouse to launch the game through the desktop cllient.

So... Baby steps. Baby steps that probably won't go anywhere because this in all liklihood wasn't intentional.

fantomena

MetaMember
Dec 17, 2018

This "gamelaunchhelper" is something in the root of every PC Gamepass game's directory, and I'm pretty sure it's this little launcher window they added a while back;

So the Xbox app is a bunch of hacky bullshit held together with duct-tape so the developers at Microsoft can keep enjoying the pain of working with the Windows Store's infrastructure, what else is new?

Now don't get excited, this only technically works. Yes, you can launch Gamepass games through Steam now. But you won't get the overlay or any of the features that come with it, presumably because the underlying EXE is still locked down with permissions. This means no remote play with controller.

You also can't add this to something like mouse drivers for per-game bindings, since they'd only apply to the little launcher window that goes away after a few seconds. But you can add the gamelaunchhelper to Nividia's Gamestream thing, to remote play them through Moonlight. But you were always able to play Windows Store games through that, all this adds is the convenience of not needing a way to move the mouse to launch the game through the desktop cllient.

So... Baby steps. Baby steps that probably won't go anywhere because this in all liklihood wasn't intentional.
PC game pass is a pile of shit? Huh.

• This!
Reactions: Ge0force

C-Dub

Makoto Niijima Fan Club President
Dec 23, 2018

This is all interesting, but I still think UWP Hook is better option as it's automated. I believe it also connects to SteamGridDB so it automatically downloads box art and covers for you.

The developer of BoilR is also working on adding Windows Store/Game Pass support too. If they can get it working then that will be the best option as it supports multiple launchers.

• Eyes

fearthedawn

Apr 19, 2019
Hollow Knight has beaten it's all-time peak multiple times this week (due to the rogue sale going on). Just now it peaked at 20k.

The game is 5 years old.

PC gives games legs.
wow, a single player game like that with increasing concurrent player counts for 5 years now... that's seriously impressive

Reactions: QFNS

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Lol on Era discussing CEO of big gaming company bonuses being specifically tied to MTX and NFTs is not enough gaming related to be discussed XD

On the bright side Wolf Among Us is amazing on Deck and it feels so good to play it on Deck in comfy bed or in living rum on sofa.

• Comfy
Reactions: lashman

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

While checking these news, I compared the concurrent players of a few games with Babylon's Fall out of curiosity, right now there's... more people playing Sonic Forces than Babylon's Fall.....
I mean the game is obviously not doing well at all, but using Tuesday maintenance to gloat just feels needlessly petty.

(Tuesday maintenance is on 7PM EST, which is Wednesday 1AM in my time zone).

Dinjoralo

Dec 6, 2018
This is all interesting, but I still think UWP Hook is better option as it's automated. I believe it also connects to SteamGridDB so it automatically downloads box art and covers for you.

The developer of BoilR is also working on adding Windows Store/Game Pass support too. If they can get it working then that will be the best option as it supports multiple launchers.
I could possibly give that a try. Everything I've used ended up not working or being too fiddley for me to really use.
I just find it odd that Xbox is still gradually doing... something, to PC gamepass and basically not telling anyone.

• Eyes

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
I could possibly give that a try. Everything I've used ended up not working or being too fiddley for me to really use.
I just find it odd that Xbox is still gradually doing... something, to PC gamepass and basically not telling anyone.
UWP Hook is pretty straightforward. Sadly, you don't get overlay or controller support so you will need to rely on the individual game's built-in controller support rather than any custom settings. But it's more automated than finding an exe and adding it to Steam.

And BoilR is amazing. I tested it out and it pretty much just works with most clients except Game Pass.

• Eyes

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I kinda own majority of Tell Tale games but I only played and finished TWD Season 1. Even though it is good game and I liked it I didn't fully enjoy playing it. But now that I got Deck I decided that The Wolf Among Us will be first game I will play on Deck just to check if my hunch was right. And yeah as I thought me not fully enjoying TWD was caused by me sitting at the desk.

I am absolutely loving playing Wolf on my Deck in any position I am currently comfortable being in. It is such an improvement to my gaming experience. And I have tons of games i never played due to various reasons that I am sure I will love and enjoy a lot playing on the Deck. It is such a transformative experience.

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
I mean the game is obviously not doing well at all, but using Tuesday maintenance to gloat just feels needlessly petty.

(Tuesday maintenance is on 7PM EST, which is Wednesday 1AM in my time zone).
Didn't know the articles didn't double check about Steam's maintenance, and I wouldn't be surprised if the original article doesn't even know about Steam's maintenance. :/
Though outside of maintenance the lowest number of concurrent players is still really bad, 12.
Personally I hope the lack of popularity for this game makes Platinum Games reconsider their stance about live service games.

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
So I beat Trek To Yomi yesterday.

Game has a lot of wow setpieces, and the camera direction and visual style is off the charts (having the camera controlled by the game really lets them amp up the drama. But the story is pure dreck, and the gameplay starts out very promising (it's like a sidescrolling Bushido Blade!) but is unfortunately trivialized by a few super OP unlockable moves you can spam to get through 90% of the content without issue.

That last boss though... playing on hard, it must have taken me two hours/over a hundred attempts to clear. After finally beating it (and the game), primal scream, instant delete, never playing this again. Don't buy this game at full price!

Spamlynguist

I can never decide on an avatar
Dec 31, 2018

Game has a lot of wow setpieces, and the camera direction and visual style is off the charts (having the camera controlled by the game really lets them amp up the drama. But the story is pure dreck, and the gameplay starts out very promising (it's like a sidescrolling Bushido Blade!) but is unfortunately trivialized by a few super OP unlockable moves you can spam to get through 90% of the content without issue.

That last boss though... playing on hard, it must have taken me two hours/over a hundred attempts to clear. After finally beating it (and the game), primal scream, instant delete, never playing this again. Don't buy this game at full price!
Definitely agree that it's a stunner of a game, but I also got really bored of the combat halfway through.

...I'm also glad I beat the final boss on Medium now. :anguished-face:

manchego obfuscator

MetaMember
Jan 23, 2020

Sounds like a good Game Pass game, alright.

anyway just beat Unsighted, definitely recommend for fans of Zelda-likes

hersheyfan

South Sea Islander
Jul 17, 2021
Manila, Philippines
steamcommunity.com
Definitely agree that it's a stunner of a game, but I also got really bored of the combat halfway through.

...I'm also glad I beat the final boss on Medium now. :anguished-face:
You have no idea how much aggravation you just dodged! Just thinking about it now makes me angry again. :imp:

Sounds like a good Game Pass game, alright.

anyway just beat Unsighted, definitely recommend for fans of Zelda-likes
Definitely, if you have access to XGP play it there. It's squarely in the "I'm glad I played this but I'm also glad I didn't pay full retail" zone.

Have been meaning to get around to Unsighted! I'll probably give it a spin after I clear Ghostwire Tokyo, which is... surprisingly decent, if unremarkable.

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Valve really needs to make built in tool for transferring game files from PC to Deck and from Deck to PC. And they could include transferring screenshots from Deck to PC.
Why would they when you have shitload of options?
Warpinator/Winpinator is what I use, but you can also setup a SFTP server or SMB share. Up to you.

• Eyes

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Q3 is after Summer right?

I'm guessing that with how relatively well things are going, that that's when we will see how ramped up their production has gotten?

There appears to be a demand for the Steam Deck, so right off the bat it won't be as niche as the Valve Index (if Valve is working on a V2 version of that or something, with Deckard, then this year may be the last year that you will be able to buy a Valve Index.

Do you think that there has been that much of a success so far and that there will be enough of a demand that they will be trying to sell some at retail stores? So out of 50k units, only 6k of them are going to be sent to retail stores type of thing.

Whole this will not sell as well as say the Switch, Xbox, or PS5. I'm guessing that the Steam Deck will ultimately have something like 5-10 purchased games from people. Is that high? Typical most console manufacturers get something like 2-3 games per unit sold.

• Eyes

C-Dub

Dec 23, 2018
Q3 is after Summer right?
Q3 begins on 1 July and runs to 30 September. Q4 is after summer, in the Northern Hemisphere at least!

Regardless, it doesn't quite overlap with the seasons perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.