Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durante

I <3 Pixels
Oct 21, 2018
"screws into place, rather than DIMMs".

No thanks.
To be fair, the switch to something other than DIMMs is becoming increasingly necessary for actual technical reasons. With the trace length and signal integrity requirements of future memory, the only option to still have upgrade paths (rather than it being simply soldered on) might be something like this.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
I'm still of the mind set that if Valve could some how keep having Steam Decks in stock and If by some miracle they could lower the price of them by $50-$100 they would be more popular in Japan (obviously they would not be selling anywhere what Switch sells, but as I have previously said in the past I do believe it can potentially outsell the Xbox Series, companied the Xbox Series sell what 3k a week? As a comparison Switch OLED is selling 30k a week and PS5 disc slim is selling 15k. This is just looking at the newest Famitsu numbers)

Anyway right now gaming on the go (or at least in another form factor is proving to be popular, the Switch 2 will not be out until some time and there are a number of multiplatform games that are not available on Switch and the whole PS5 scenario in Japan doesn't look that good. There don't seem to be a lot of titles geared towards young kids on PS5, so there is no real need to buy one or play on one (but GTA V and Fortnite do seem popular titles to play on the PS5 for younger people, those under 18? I've even read a manga in the past where some middle school girl just does that, she plays GTA Online on her older brother's PS4 or something like that and she tries to keep it a secret for her parents) talking about low sales numbers, for Famitsu in general the PS5 software sales have not been that great, if you look at the top selling game in Japan (physical video game sales) you will hardly see many PS5 titles on there. It's mainly first party and some third party Nintendo titles. Even Stella Blade which keeps bragging about being the best selling game in Japan according to Famitsu. Which is both good and bad, it's selling which is nice and ShiftUP even said it's selling more copies that they would have hopped but at the same time it highlights how bad stuff is in Japan right now where there are hardly many new games coming out that stay as a top seller for more than 2 weeks. I think it's been out for a month and has sold less than 100k physical units in Japan, if the digital vs physical amount is 50/50 then the game has sold close to 200k in Japan, which for a new IP that's good to hear. But at the same time if that's all that a Sony published third party game what hope do other publishers have? Even the famous FFVII Rebirth sold less than 1 million units in Japan. Meanwhile if that DQ 3 Remake titles arrived next week, is it a stretch to say that it could easily outsell FFVII Rebirth?

The reason that I'm making this post mainly has to do with this post in particular and how director of SF6 is using his Steam Deck for something (outside of the world tour game I heard that SF6 runs great on Steam Deck and from the looks of it, it's paying off) so maybe this is not even about regular people buying gaming devices but maybe it's proving just how popular thr device is within game devs, because of its great utility options.

Also anime

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
Seems like it's just a PC version of a mobile gacha game, so that's a no thanks for me.
From the sounds of it, there already is a PC version of the game on DMM, this is just the Steam version of that PC version that already exists.

-----------------------
This has nothing to do with anything here but I just felt like sharing it anyway since it may be useful to some one else.

I just learned that Regal theaters have a special offer with the Ghibli Fest, if you go watch 2 unique movies, your third ticket is free!!!!!! That's great. Since tickets are normally $15USD. So this means that if I go watch 3 of them, then in a way each one is close to being $8+ the convenience fee I have to pay for each one (the fee is less than $2USD).

I'm not sure if they have always been doing this but I was surprised when I saw that it was letting me get a free ticket to watch Princess Mononoke (I still had to pay the $2 convenience fee though)

Reactions: BO7AMMOOD

toxicitizen

MetaMember
Oct 24, 2018
It would be cool if the DQIII HD-2D remake has turned into as full trilogy remake, if only because then we'd have 3 more mainline DQ games on Steam. It's so baffling to me that we still don't have at least DQ I through VIII on PC. I really hope they're working on giving the series the Pixel Remaster treatment...

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Kind of crazy that Dragon Quest is gonna get the Octopath treatment before Final Fantasy does.

I do wonder what the first FF game will be remade with that style. I think it would even be more cool if they do a straight up new entry to FF with that art style instead of remaking an older game. They don't even have to call it FF17 either. It can be titled anything with FF and I think it would be successful.

Reactions: thekeats1999

Knurek

OG old coot
Oct 16, 2018
Kind of crazy that Dragon Quest is gonna get the Octopath treatment before Final Fantasy does.

I do wonder what the first FF game will be remade with that style. I think it would even be more cool if they do a straight up new entry to FF with that art style instead of remaking an older game. They don't even have to call it FF17 either. It can be titled anything with FF and I think it would be successful.
Technically, FF6 PR got the 2D-HD treatment too in a single scene

Reactions: yuraya

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com
According to Midori (usually leaks SEGA/Atlus stuff, but lately has been mentioning a few things from other devs), seems like the whole Dragon Quest trilogy is getting the HD-2D treatment, starting with 3.

More information on DQ3 HD-2D will be revealed in a few weeks.
I am currently hearing that Dragon Quest 3 HD-2D will be at the next Nintendo Direct.
I was told information a few months ago. but it is recently that I have announcement plans. and it is okay to not believe my information it is good to not trust everything anyone says ^^

Q: Out this year?
R: This is correct information. By the end of this fiscal year.

Q: Did they change their plans regarding the 2D HD model and more games other than DQIII will receive said treatment?
R: This is correct information. But the legacy begins with 3.

Q: I think she just means dq 1 and 2 bud
R: This is correct information. It is not only DQ3.

QFNS

Plays too many card games
Nov 18, 2018
Hey Konami while you're talking, what's up with those Suikoden remasters?

• Toucan
Reactions: Parsnip

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Silent Hill gets all the cool shit. The events, transmissions, reveals, teasers and free demos.

Meanwhile Castlevania and Metal Gear are always sitting at the kids table. Some bs.

Derrick01

MetaMember
Oct 6, 2018

I've been thinking this for about a year now but I do think we finally hit a wall where graphics became good enough for most people and that the chase for the new highest fidelity bar is so pointless now especially since it slows game development to a crawl where we get 1 game per studio per gen now and obviously the budget is out of control too. Like max says in the video I don't think it's worthwhile zooming in to every square inch of detail anymore, we've hit a point where it's like who cares if you have to zoom in and spot a smudgy texture?

I think about the 3 most recent graphics king games- horizon FW, avatar and hellblade 2 and what else do they have in common besides graphics? They're all insanely boring and bad games that bring nothing to the table other than their graphics. It actively depresses me when I think about playing them (or in horizon's case playing it again) because of how unimaginative they are. I'm not saying I don't care at all about graphics but I am at the point where it's no longer a selling point to me by itself. The game needs to have something else going on. For most of my gaming life it was possible to wow me with visuals to the point where I'd at least give it a try but the diminshing returns in games is so tiny now I just don't care anymore.

edit: This is like 2 days after Uncharted 4 turned 8 years old and that game still looks better than 90% of AAA games coming out now. Not exaggerating.

Last edited:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
Alrighty, my Samsung Odyssey NEO G7 came today and i got it mounted + setup. The mini-LED tech is AMAZING. Blacks are black. And i got a good panel too, no dead or stuck pixels thank heck. I was nervous that the 1000R curve would too aggressive but I actually love it.

Only problem I'm having is some weird flickers in HDR. I'm chalking it up to Windows 10 bugs with HDR since it doesn't seem to happen in games but only on the desktop? Maybe Windows 11 handles HDR better? I'll find out later this year...

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019

I've been thinking this for about a year now but I do think we finally hit a wall where graphics became good enough for most people and that the chase for the new highest fidelity bar is so pointless now especially since it slows game development to a crawl where we get 1 game per studio per gen now and obviously the budget is out of control too. Like max says in the video I don't think it's worthwhile zooming in to every square inch of detail anymore, we've hit a point where it's like who cares if you have to zoom in and spot a smudgy texture?

I think about the 3 most recent graphics king games- horizon FW, avatar and hellblade 2 and what else do they have in common besides graphics? They're all insanely boring and bad games that bring nothing to the table other than their graphics. It actively depresses me when I think about playing them (or in horizon's case playing it again) because of how unimaginative they are. I'm not saying I don't care at all about graphics but I am at the point where it's no longer a selling point to me by itself. The game needs to have something else going on. For most of my gaming life it was possible to wow me with visuals to the point where I'd at least give it a try but the diminshing returns in games is so tiny now I just don't care anymore.

edit: This is like 2 days after Uncharted 4 turned 8 years old and that game still looks better than 90% of AAA games coming out now. Not exaggerating.
The big difference with today's industry is that people have alternatives. There really wasn't much in the past.

During the PS360 gen the big western AAA graphics driven games were pretty much the standard. They drove people with their purchasing decisions and they were all the talk among the gaming community. Back then indies weren't really established yet and didn't have the value of indies today. The soulslike genre wasn't established yet either. At least not fully. There was also no F2P or GaaS back in those times as well. It was an entirely different time and people didn't really have much of a choice. Everyone was a graphics whore to some extent and the alternative was like strategy games on PC or something like the Nintendo fans.

Today people have all these options. We have so much options that we look at Hellblade 2 and Horizon...and we don't even care a bit. You can entirely avoid these games while still spending so much time and money on other games/genres.

It also doesn't help that these last 7 or 8 years had some absolute bangers when it comes to gameplay driven games with replay value and insane rpg mechanics. Look at stuff like BotW and Elden Ring. RPGs like BG3. Those games offer mountains of more depth + replay value + customization than the AAA graphics driven slow narrative titles. Its not even fair if you try to compare them.

There is still some outliers tho that will sell a ton because of graphics. But its mostly like 3 devs at this point. CDPR, Naughty Dog and Rockstar.

Cyberpunk was a big story/graphics/narrative driven title which sold really well. The Witcher 4 will do ridiculous numbers as well.

And Naughty Dog will eventually make something like TLOU3 which will sell a lot. Especially with the shows popularity.

And the big one is Rockstar. People can say what they want about RDR2 but is easily one of the best looking games on the market still. But what is more impressive is that game has a campaign that is 70hrs long. Its stupidly impressive since its not really an rpg.

So GTAVI will be the big one. It will sell a lot for graphics alone but it will also sell a lot because people want to grind that online mode with friends. But you definitely sense people's excitement with that reveal trailer and how good it looks. If they get the campaign for it to the heights of RDR2 it could be an all time impressive title too. The graphics will be the selling point for at least the first 20 or 30 million copies.

I can see Bethesda enter this conversation as well if Elder Scrolls 6 has same impact as Skyrim. But many will also flock to that game for mods, bugs, freedom etc. Not just graphics.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
Speaking of graphics, it stopped being important to me, I guess ever since I stopped playing on pc. So didn’t have much choice other than play on what I could. Of course if the game looks too poop I won’t play it either. I think it is has become same for many, didn’t they recently say that young people today prefer to play older games on older machines. And that could also simply be because they don’t have a choice with the economic state of the world.

Reactions: Kyougar and QFNS

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Graphics is important but as with all other aspects of games it can't be only good thing about it. And it sells games to mainstream audience easier than gameplay.

Line

meh
Dec 21, 2018
There's an obvious limit to what visuals can reach, it's been over a decade since we've had photorealistic textures, where do you got from there? Lighting for sure, RT is nice and all, but easy on ballooning the requirements all the time, when you have modern console games that run at a worse resolution than PS2, piss off. There's a middle point to find.

And well, you can add more props and "stuff" everywhere, but the real problem come from the amount of interactions going down and down over the generations. That was always Bethesda's strength, you can interact with everything - which is cool, but also... not necessarily super needed if props don't really have inherent uses. Even a thing like basic body parts we don't have anymore in 99% of games - Soldier of Fortune had a more intricate and more gameplay relevant damage localization than any shooter on the market. How did this happen?

What we need is more NPC interaction and more uniqueness. Sure a city filled to the brim is nice, but if 99% are just as useful as trees... and here I think that's where we can afford to make games more gamey while lowering the costs, we don't need real life cities to grasp the concept of a game city, make things smaller, but every NPC has its own dialogue. Invest more in voice acting so they talk and make it feel more lively than just the huge empty cities of CD Projekt. It makes for great screenshots the first time you visit... and then you run along all the fake people to talk to the handful of real NPCs. That's just an immersion breaker to me...

ezodagrom

JELLYBEE
Nov 2, 2018
Portugal
www.youtube.com

When it comes to visuals alone, I've always found art style alot more important than graphics fidelity, a good art style can carry a game's visuals.

For example, Final Fantasy games, if older ones (PS1 era or before) were to get 3D remakes, personally I would be more than fine with visuals fidelity like Bravely Default 2 (though they would need an art style fitting the game, like, a FF8 remake wouldn't look right with a "chibified" character art style).

Stone Ocean

Proud Degenerate
Apr 17, 2019

I've hit this point for a good decade now, graphics have long hit diminishing returns for me and the tech evolving has gone from being genuinely impressive from being neat at best. On top of that, I honestly think that chasing hyperrealism is the most boring thing you could do visually.

Final Fantasy is a neat example of this because the series has always been chasing the visuals of what used to be prerendered CGI in the PS1 era, and now that we're long past that... now what? What do you do from here? Just continue getting sillier visually by having hyperrealistic anime characters? That ain't it.

PC-tan

Low Tier Weeb
Jan 19, 2019
California
For some reason a number of news outlets are now reporting on the whole Steam accounts not being inheritable after you die for some reason, even though that was from over a week ago I believe. Kinda old news at this point.

Also it's only when we say screw "graphics" that we are able to focus on other parts of the game. I've never played Dwarf Fortress, but from what I heard about the game, it seems like the devs were playing Game Dev Story and when they were making Dwarf Fortress they had graphics set to 1/10 and gameplay set to 12/10

Reactions: Gintaro

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018

rickyson33

Apr 26, 2019
I rarely even think about graphics personally unless I think the game is ugly then it can put me off of playing it

and that's as much about subjective art style as it is about anything else, like to use some recent examples I thought Balatro looked fine and played that but I would never touch something like Crow Country even if I was interested in the gameplay because I just hate the art style

Status
Not open for further replies.