Community MetaSteam | May 2024 - Wake up samurai, we gonna get this Persian kitty home

Cacher

Romantic Storm
Jun 3, 2020
I still like the concept of a gaming subscription. It's a cheap way to try out lots of games, I discovered several of my now favorite games through Game Pass. I think the part where it went wrong was the day-one releases, those services seem to work better for catalog content.
I agree. Game Pass is good value to customers. Not every person can afford buying all these games out there. Game Pass provides a way for these people to check out many games which they are not able to pay for.

I just want to minimize my payment to MS. Sorry to the developers there, but to me this brand is done for.

Last edited:

「Echo」

竜の魔女。
Nov 1, 2018
Mt. Whatever
There hasn't been price drops on the consoles because they literally can't without losing money. The last 4 years have seen an INSANE amount of inflation. Decades worth crammed into just 4 years.

If the consoles released today, they'd be $600 instead of $500. :poop:

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Sony is not in that good position either. They have 0 big 1st party releases this year. Each new 1st party release takes longer to developer, costs more and needs more sales to make money back. And in the world of corporations making money back is fail, they usually need to earn double the invested money. There are less and less 3rd party exclusives so basically buying consoles to play exclusives these days makes less sense than generation or two before when there were 3-5 big 1st party exclusives per year. I don't see Sony being the same after ore even during PS6 gen. They will go day 1 PC but even that won't help that much.

Nintendo is in best position because they are keeping production cost of their games lower. But that also mean that Nintendo will keep releasing games without proper voice acting, keeping graphics in general lower tier and using artstyle to cover it up and their studios are in Japan where salaries are just fraction of those in US.

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
The console space kind of sucks, I would abandon Xbox if the other two in the market weren’t cunts either. Going any of the three one just has to ignore the shit they do and just game, then I might just stay with what I have.

There a reason I’ve only been collection games on steam.
I would be steam only if I actually had a PC, but well then you are again with Microsoft with windows.

Ascheroth

Chilling in the Megastructure
Nov 12, 2018

Unbelievable. Microsoft can go and absolutely fuck themselves.
There is no saving them. They are going to continue to aimlessly shift strategies every day that ends with a y, will continue to throw money around blindfolded, and will continue to destroy the livelihood of thousands of people because leadership is made of incompetent fucking morons who get paid way too fucking much without having to take responsibility for continuously fucking up everything they touch.
I'm just fucking pissed.

Alexandros

Every game should be turn based
Nov 4, 2018
The console space kind of sucks, I would abandon Xbox if the other two in the market weren’t cunts either. Going any of the three one just has to ignore the shit they do and just game, then I might just stay with what I have.

There a reason I’ve only been collection games on steam.
I would be steam only if I actually had a PC, but well then you are again with Microsoft with windows.
SteamOS provided Microsoft with a template to make Xbox a Windows PC without sacrificing the console experience to a significant degree. I am very curious to see what the next Xbox will be.

Dec 5, 2018
Nintendo is in best position because they are keeping production cost of their games lower. But that also mean that Nintendo will keep releasing games without proper voice acting, keeping graphics in general lower tier and using artstyle to cover it up and their studios are in Japan where salaries are just fraction of those in US.
But they will end up with the same problem, even if they're a "gen behind" graphically they'll end up with higher production costs and their games will take longer to make.
I mean the PS5 went up in price in a bunch of markets . And as I said yesterday they can't shrink the chip (part of the price reduction of the PS4 slim was moving from 28 to 16 nm).

Le Pertti

0.01% Game dev
Oct 10, 2018
Paris, France
lepertti.com
SteamOS provided Microsoft with a template to make Xbox a Windows PC without sacrificing the console experience to a significant degree. I am very curious to see what the next Xbox will be.
Yeah that would also open them up to letting third party hardware manufacturers make xbox machines too, which actually could be a good thing.

Reactions: Alexandros

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
Capcom

The net sales for the last financial year ending March 31, 2024 were $978 million, up 21% year-over-year, with operating income being $366 million, up 12.3% yoy. Capcom anticipates $1 billion in sales for FY25, ending March 31, 2025.

The company attributes its success to titles like Street Fighter 6, the release of Dragon's Dogma 2.

In Financial Year 2025, Capcom anticipates $1 billion in net sales and $410 million in operating income.

Lashley

Computer Cowboy 🤠
There hasn't been price drops on the consoles because they literally can't without losing money. The last 4 years have seen an INSANE amount of inflation. Decades worth crammed into just 4 years.

But the Pro is going to be $500 and the regular PS5 will drop in price! You'll see!!

• Evil
Reactions: Kyougar

Mivey

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2018
I still can't believe Microsoft fucked up game pass on PC so bad with their UWP nonsense and sub-par Xbox App. I mean, they are one of the leading software companies in the world and they can't even figure out how to build a decent Steam competitor.
The goal of the store was never to just ship software. Instead Microsoft had various projects to replace the old way that applications are built in Windows (the Win32 API) and attempt a clean break. The current UWP thing is their second attempt at this, and it's been made worse by its failure and need to make it partially compatible with Win32 apps, for developers who don't care about this failing standard and don't want to put any work in supporting a new API. UWP is in addition riddled with strange security features that make it much trickier to install. Very easy to end up with UWP apps that break or are mis configured

And now you have a WIndows Store that was originally developed for Windows 8 and adapted to consider all these various shifts in strategy. It's an absolute mess that might look pretty in Windows 11, but underneath it's obviously a complete crapshoot. To this day, installing any apps, even tiny ones, takes minutes to "install" (even after it's been dowlnoaded). There is no simple uninstall button, you need to find that in another part of the app and UWPs will break often and frequently, as GamePass users can confirm.

I doens't matter how big a corporation is, with so many conflicting goals and mountains of technical debt and terrible design choices, there is no universe where the Microsoft Store could hope to compete with Steam when it comes to usability, feature set or reliability.

STHX

MetaMember
Sep 20, 2021
As long as they can sell 10+ millions (or more!) with the next Mario/Zelda/Splatoon/Smash Bros/Pokemon/Animal Crossing I don't think they wil be worried even if dev times increase
But that's also the main problem: what about everything else?
Monolith Soft released 2 fully new Xenoblade games, a full Xenoblade remake, and helped with Zelda and Splatoon all during one generation. But will they be able to keep the same output onmore powerful hardware? And will Xenoblade still sell the same (less than 5 millions)? Will it be worth it?
IntSys released 2 Fire Emblem games (with help from 3rd parties like Koei) and also worked on 2 Paper Mario and 2 Warioware games. None of those games managed to break through the 5 millions barrier but hey at least they were quick with developing them. But will that also be true on a more powerful hardware? They do have FE Heroes making money but that's on mobile
The same is also true for the 5 series above. BOTW and TOTK sold a lot, but the Link's Awakening remake did much less. 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart sell a lot, but the rest of the Mario sports game don't. Pokemon sells a lot despite the shortcomings, but spinoffs don't. Legend Arceus was the exception but that one was advertised as a mainline game. Animal Crossing sells a lot, but only one can come out in a whole gen and just like the others the spinoffs don't sell, even on mobile
Lastly there is the problem with the price. BOTW and TOKT cost 70€ here (+ 30€ season pass for BOTW). It's also a rare Nintendo game with multiple dubbed languages even if it's not fully dubbed. The only other game with that price is Smash Ultimate (and it has 2 season passes too). But those 3 games are exceptions. I can agree those 3 games have more "effort" than the usual (each for different reasons). Mario never costs more than 60, same for Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Pokemon and everything else. Season passes prop them up but it's obvious the "plan" is to go to the next price tier. But that requires effort as we have seen during this gen and effort means more dev time and budgets

Even on Switch you can see how long dev times are starting to get. In the end Switch 2 games will take PS4 levels of effort or more otherwise justifying 70 bucks games will be impossible even with an hungry fanbase

Arc

MetaMember
Sep 19, 2020
Monster Hunter Wilds will probably be the biggest Steam release of 2025, barring a random game exploding like Palworld or GTA 6 releasing on Steam (lol). 1 million CCU for MHW doesn't sound insane.

Reactions: PC-tan

CommodoreKong

Mercenary in the Badlands
Jun 15, 2019
As long as they can sell 10+ millions (or more!) with the next Mario/Zelda/Splatoon/Smash Bros/Pokemon/Animal Crossing I don't think they wil be worried even if dev times increase
Monolith Soft released 2 fully new Xenoblade games, a full Xenoblade remake, and helped with Zelda and Splatoon all during one generation. But will they be able to keep the same output onmore powerful hardware? And will Xenoblade still sell the same (less than 5 millions)? Will it be worth it?
IntSys released 2 Fire Emblem games (with help from 3rd parties like Koei) and also worked on 2 Paper Mario and 2 Warioware games. None of those games managed to break through the 5 millions barrier but hey at least they were quick with developing them. But will that also be true on a more powerful hardware? They do have FE Heroes making money but that's on mobile
The same is also true for the 5 series above. BOTW and TOTK sold a lot, but the Link's Awakening remake did much less. 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Mario Kart sell a lot, but the rest of the Mario sports game don't. Pokemon sells a lot despite the shortcomings, but spinoffs don't. Legend Arceus was the exception but that one was advertised as a mainline game. Animal Crossing sells a lot, but only one can come out in a whole gen and just like the others the spinoffs don't sell, even on mobile
Lastly there is the problem with the price. BOTW and TOKT cost 70€ here (+ 30€ season pass for BOTW). It's also a rare Nintendo game with multiple dubbed languages even if it's not fully dubbed. The only other game with that price is Smash Ultimate (and it has 2 season passes too). But those 3 games are exceptions. I can agree those 3 games have more "effort" than the usual (each for different reasons). Mario never costs more than 60, same for Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Pokemon and everything else. Season passes prop them up but it's obvious the "plan" is to go to the next price tier. But that requires effort as we have seen during this gen and effort means more dev time and budgets

Even on Switch you can see how long dev times are starting to get. In the end Switch 2 games will take PS4 levels of effort or more otherwise justifying 70 bucks games will be impossible even with an hungry fanbase

Yeah I doubt Nintendo is super worried about the sales of their huge IPs like mainline Mario, Zelda/Mario Kart etc.

A bigger worry is probably the sales of their smaller titles. Nintendo does release a lot of smaller scope and budget titles to fill out their lineup throughout the year and those usually sell okay but not the gangbuster figures their big IPs sell.

I found a handy list that someone on Install Base compiled:

Some of those games haven't had updated sales figures from Nintendo for awhile but I doubt many had post launch period sales so high it would really move them up the list. What does Nintendo do when the cost of making those games keep going up and up and they're starting with a small Switch 2 install base? They've already ported most of their Wii U games to Switch, which were probably super fast and cheap ports so they don't have that option for the Switch 2 to fill out the lineup.

Maybe it's time to start officially releasing games on PC to bump up sales ;)

spindoctor

MetaMember
Jun 9, 2019
Is the site loading really slowly for anyone else? The browser showed that it was trying to resolve/connect to something called UNPKG which at a cursory glance seems to be some sort of free CDN service which is maybe getting too much load? I seem to recall someone (or maybe multiple folks) had a similar problem a few months ago.

• Sad
Reactions: lashman

jads653

MetaMember
Oct 18, 2021
Utrecht, Netherlands
Before its closure, Arkane had been looking to return to its roots by pitching a new single-player "immersive sim" game, such as a new entry in the Dishonored series, according to the people familiar.
Tango was in the process of pitching a sequel, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing nonpublic information.
Kindly go fuck yourself Microsoft, go fuck yourself.

moemoneyb1

MetaMember
Mar 29, 2021

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Anyone who still thinks that Microsoft will fully invest into a new console generation is very optimistic. (If a new Xbox comes, it will be bog standard without any custom (console) high end parts)
Anyone who still thinks that Microsoft will support the next console generation after 2 years of a last effort and still failing, is delusional.

dex3108

MetaMember
Dec 20, 2018
I forgot to write about that whole AAA is not for me anymore thing you discussed few pages ago. I am kinda opposite, even though i like indie games i am really interested to play only few of them. I still prefer AAA games and i still enjoy playing them. And rare AA games like Plague Tale 2 are great too. And that is mostly because i enjoy playing story driven games and usually indie games are more focused on gameplay mechanics than on the story.

AHA-Lambda

MetaMember
Oct 9, 2018
I think for anyone who has been "sceptical" shall we say of AAA gaming this has all been a long time coming.
I remember people (including me tbh) worrying about ballooning dev budgets and the sustainability of AAA development back in the 360 era.
Been a long time coming but think those chickens have now come home to roost.

The "all or nothing" nature of AAA production plus
  • the demands for increased and constant revenue & monetisation thanks to the success of GaaS (or the ones that do make it big that is) have pushed the sustainability of that model to breaking
  • and the volatility of the indie scene doesn't give a silver bullet alternative (it's great how it's grown but discoverability is a huge problem; I remember years ago being able to keep up with everything now that's completely impossible)
means this has all been the perfect storm for where we are now

Xbox is the front and centre of it right now given how much they've just plain fucked up
I imagine Sony will likely have to make supply side changes for production too but they have some breathing room with the greater success they've enjoyed so far
And Nintendo and Steam and Mobile will all probably carry on trucking as they are more or less

I know most folk on here know this but I suppose I wanted to rant

Anyone who still thinks that Microsoft will fully invest into a new console generation is very optimistic. (If a new Xbox comes, it will be bog standard without any custom (console) high end parts)
Anyone who still thinks that Microsoft will support the next console generation after 2 years of a last effort and still failing, is delusional.
I'd be amazed if they release another "traditional" console, and that was before all this shit

I cancelled game pass sub and packed the series X into the closet yesterday.

I wish all the people who are affected will be able to land on somewhere else smoothly.
Yeah I have my Series S boxed up (never done that before for any console that is still "current")
I keep thinking of selling it tbh but 1) the trade in value for an S is quite low and 2) I keep thinking there's the occasion I'll pull it out once a year for a game I can't play anywhere else like STALKER 2 or Indy (well at least until PS5 ports start happening readily)

yuraya

MetaMember
May 4, 2019
Microsoft needs to rebrand imo.

Just get rid of the Xbox brand all together. Its not a console that has success worldwide in any way. It barely has the success in US and UK these days.

Come up with a new console name. It works for Nintendo. They always name their consoles/handhelds something different.

The names of the Xbox consoles have always been very stupid and not gaming friendly.

Xbox One
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

Xbox and 360 were fine but these latest names have been atrocious. Its something you name a tablet or some other crappy office device.

Also their next console has to undercut PS6 by 100-200$. And Elder Scrolls 6 at launch.

I think something like that will be their last chance at any redemption. Otherwise they abandon hardware division and go full on 3rd party publisher.

I hope they give it a shot tho. It would be easy to just quit and get out of the console business but you never know. A successful rebrand could spark decades good competition and maybe they even do something to the benefit of PC gamers as well.

Kyougar

No reviews, no Buy
Nov 2, 2018
Microsoft needs to rebrand imo.

Just get rid of the Xbox brand all together. Its not a console that has success worldwide in any way. It barely has the success in US and UK these days.

Come up with a new console name. It works for Nintendo. They always name their consoles/handhelds something different.

The names of the Xbox consoles have always been very stupid and not gaming friendly.

Xbox One
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X

Xbox and 360 were fine but these latest names have been atrocious. Its something you name a tablet or some other crappy office device.

Also their next console has to undercut PS6 by 100-200$. And Elder Scrolls 6 at launch.

I think something like that will be their last chance at any redemption. Otherwise they abandon hardware division and go full on 3rd party publisher.

I hope they give it a shot tho. It would be easy to just quit and get out of the console business but you never know. A successful rebrand could spark decades good competition and maybe they even do something to the benefit of PC gamers as well.
The biggest Troll they could do would be to release a new console generation 1 year after the release of the PS5 pro.
This would be the only chance I see for them to not sink completely with joining Sony for a new generation at the same time